PDA

View Full Version : "Abiding in Christ"

HisLeast
Nov 24th 2009, 06:30 PM
We see this come up from time to time in the OSAS/NOSAS discussions. I want to state up front and for the record that I take no position on N/OSAS. NONE. Neither will this thread become an N/OSAS circus.

What I'd like to know is "what does abiding in Christ" mean practically.

From "the 10,000 foot view" it looks fairly obvious. But up close what does it look like? What does it mean day-to-day? What activities does one perform to ensure they're "abiding"? Or is it all a frame of mind?

Bladers
Nov 24th 2009, 07:34 PM
We see this come up from time to time in the OSAS/NOSAS discussions. I want to state up front and for the record that I take no position on N/OSAS. NONE. Neither will this thread become an N/OSAS circus.

From "the 10,000 foot view" it looks fairly obvious. But up close what does it look like? What does it mean day-to-day? What activities does one perform to ensure they're "abiding"? Or is it all a frame of mind?

1 John 2:6
He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

HisLeast
Nov 24th 2009, 07:39 PM
1 John 2:6
He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Heb 7:18 - For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof

notuptome
Nov 24th 2009, 07:43 PM
Amos 3:3 Can two walk together except they be agreed?

Eph 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who once were far off are made near by the blood of Christ.

Eph 4:22-24 That ye put off concerning the former manner of life the old man which is corrupt according to deceitful lusts and be renewed in the spirit of your mind and that ye put on the new man which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Eph 4:30 greive not the Holy Spirit of God by Whom ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Abide in Christ by yielding to the Holy Spirit and becoming Christlike in your life. Conformed to His image.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Bladers
Nov 24th 2009, 07:44 PM
Heb 7:18 - For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof

This isn't an old commandment,
John tells us, if you claim to abide in Christ, then you have to walk even as Christ walked, unless your not abiding in Christ!

Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me...

HisLeast
Nov 24th 2009, 07:54 PM

Eph 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who once were far off are made near by the blood of Christ.

Eph 4:22-24 That ye put off concerning the former manner of life the old man which is corrupt according to deceitful lusts and be renewed in the spirit of your mind and that ye put on the new man which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Eph 4:30 greive not the Holy Spirit of God by Whom ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Abide in Christ by yielding to the Holy Spirit and becoming Christlike in your life. Conformed to His image.

"Yield to the spirit" sounds great, but I've never had a satisfactory explanation of what it means (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=195921). To me it always sounds like "do what you're supposed to be doing" except nobody ever tells you what you're supposed to do. As I do not hear, see, or feel anything outside of what I'd conventionally identify as "me", phrases like this have never lead me into deeper understanding.

I suppose there's the distinct possibility that I don't "have" the Holy Spirit to begin with. Now there's an interesting thought experiment.

Becoming "more Christ like" is a little more specific, and certainly easier to understand.

But what activities are specifically required to abide in Christ? Alternatively, what activities would keep you from abiding in Christ if you neglected to perform them?

HisLeast
Nov 24th 2009, 07:55 PM
This isn't an old commandment,
John tells us, if you claim to abide in Christ, then you have to walk even as Christ walked, unless your not abiding in Christ!

Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me...

So what does that look like?

Vhayes
Nov 24th 2009, 08:13 PM
I'll try to tell you what it means to me but that means it will be very, very subjective and many will disagree with it. But - here goes:
When I get up in the morning, I thank God for the ability to get out of bed and start a new day with Him.

I ask His protection while I drive, seriously, I ask that He ride with me and keep me alert.

I thank Him for giving me an office to go to and the work that comes in.

I thank Him for the phone calls I take.

I ask Him to look after the homeless guy that stops by the house a couple of times a week looking for food and whatever else we have to spare.

I thank Him for my dogs and the way they wag their tails when I get home.

I thank Him for the family who loves me even when I'm grumpy.

I ask Him to take my burdens when they get to be too much for me to carry and keep on going.

I cry out to Him in distress when I cannot see the path before me.

I "talk" to Him throughout the day.

I listen for Him to prompt my heart in decision making.

I read His letters to me because they are my instructions on being His ambassador in this foreign place.

To me - THAT'S what "abiding in" means. Having Him be such a part of my life that I cannot imagine life without Him.

Hope that helps a bit -
V

blessedmommyuv3
Nov 24th 2009, 08:15 PM
To me, abiding in Christ means praying each morning as I begin the day for the Holy Spirit to guard what I say that day, and for my actions to be pleasing to God and loving and encouraging to others. I want them to see Christ in me--through the struggles as well as the joyous moments. I want them to see Him holding me up and giving me the strength to get through the day when I am grief stricken. Simply put, I want others to see Him and not me.
I believe this can be accomplished best through prayer, at the beginning of the day, as well as throughout the day; staying in communication with God.
Also, I believe it is of vital importance to be studying in the Bible each and every day, and asking the Holy Spirit to guide you in your studies which enables us to grow in our knowledge of God as He truly is, and not as we have made Him to be in our minds. We are also able to see His promises to His people throughout scripture which help to sustain us.
Worshiping and praising Him throughout the day for who He is is also very important.

1 Thessalonians 5:
16Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Lastly, I think just sitting still in the quiet and praising Him and listening for God to speak into your heart is important--this is the one area I struggle most in.

Well, that is my :2cents:

Great question. I hope you find answers which will encourage you. :hug:

In Christ's great love,
Jen

Bladers
Nov 24th 2009, 08:18 PM

1 John 1:7
"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another..."

HisLeast
Nov 24th 2009, 08:18 PM
1 John 1:7
"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another..."

Bladers
Nov 24th 2009, 08:41 PM
First before you have Fellowship you have to be in agreement:

Second, they have to be in Unity:

1 Corinthians 6:17
But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

Third, what does Fellowship and Communion look like?
-A close association of friends or equals sharing similar interests.
-The condition of sharing similar interests, ideals, or experiences
-The act or an instance of sharing, as of thoughts or feelings.
-Close acquaintance, association, or familiarity and intimate, Very personal and private.
-Oneness

John 14:21
He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father,
and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Manifest means to make known, to reveal, to make apparent, To show or demonstrate plainly; reveal, to prove.
Jesus manifests, reveals, discloses, makes-known, Himself to those who love Him. He does it. He pulls back the curtain.
Jesus unveils Himself to the loving heart. In direct proportion to our loving-obedience, Jesus has promised the increase of His revelation of Himself to us.

Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words:
and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

This is the promise that the Father and Son will lavish agape love (agape is the word in the original) on you through manifestation of Himself to you. In an never ending cycle of intimacy.

What does abiding in Christ means? Thats what it means, Fellowship with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
Thats why John said, If you proclaim to abide in Christ. You must also walk as he walked.

Bladers
Nov 24th 2009, 08:47 PM
Abiding is not just, you know.
Its a spirit connection.
A spiritual habitation
Its fellowship

HisLeast
Nov 24th 2009, 08:52 PM
Abiding is not just, you know.
Its a spirit connection.
A spiritual habitation
Its fellowship

I understand what the last line means. I do not know what "a spiritual connection" is or what "a spiritual habitation" is. These are not concepts I understand.

If I were to be frank, "spiritual" answers tend to make my eyes glaze over because they tend not to have any meaning in cold, hard, practical meatspace.

Slug1
Nov 24th 2009, 09:00 PM
To me, abiding in Christ is simply remaining in the relationship with Him that began the moment you accepted Him. Seeking the fullness of that relationship is where all the growth, pruning, empowerment comes into play. Milk to Meat etc.

Bladers
Nov 24th 2009, 09:16 PM
I understand what the last line means. I do not know what "a spiritual connection" is or what "a spiritual habitation" is. These are not concepts I understand.

If I were to be frank, "spiritual" answers tend to make my eyes glaze over because they tend not to have any meaning in cold, hard, practical meatspace.

Spiritual Habitation

Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words:
and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

It sounds shocking, but its actually a real promise
Now, Moses had just asked God, show me your glory!

Exodus 34
And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD. And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God....And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshipped. And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water.

Now thats a true Spiritual Habitation and That's what Jesus promised!
But today, we dont have to go to a mountain to seek God. He is in our hearts!
Moses had to enter the Holy of Holies to Abide, commune and talk to God.
But we don't because Christ is in us!
But we do have to seek HIM

Spirit Connection

John 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

and you notice that Jesus called them True worshipers.
God is looking for Spirit connection not Flesh connection.

Philippians 3:3
For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

He is looking for Spirit Connection, Deep unto Deep. Your Spirit with God's Spirit.

2 Corinthians 5:16
Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

1 Corinthians 6:17
But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
Jesus is looking for spirit connection not flesh connection...
He is looking for fellowship with your spirit.
That is what abiding in Christ truly mean, it is a spirit thing, not a flesh thing.

Bladers
Nov 24th 2009, 09:33 PM
Let me also add this to elaborate on it more clearly:

Abiding in Christ is gradual, it starts at salvation which is the foundation.
Then it continues and increases to deeper dimensions and depths through prayer. And it gets to the point that: "ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you."

In John 15, Jesus said:"If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love."
He is talking about what he said in John 14 about Him and His Father loving you and manifesting themselves. Coming to make their abode!

notuptome
Nov 24th 2009, 10:51 PM
"Yield to the spirit" sounds great, but I've never had a satisfactory explanation of what it means (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=195921). To me it always sounds like "do what you're supposed to be doing" except nobody ever tells you what you're supposed to do. As I do not hear, see, or feel anything outside of what I'd conventionally identify as "me", phrases like this have never lead me into deeper understanding.

I suppose there's the distinct possibility that I don't "have" the Holy Spirit to begin with. Now there's an interesting thought experiment.

Becoming "more Christ like" is a little more specific, and certainly easier to understand.

But what activities are specifically required to abide in Christ? Alternatively, what activities would keep you from abiding in Christ if you neglected to perform them?
I have always understood yielding to the Holy Spirit to be examining everything you do by the light of the scriptures. When faced with a decision one seeks biblical guidance. It influences what we watch on TV or listen to on the radio or talk about at the water cooler at work. We have two natures the old one that loves the flesh and the new one that loves Christ. The Holy Spirit is to be our guide into spiritual truth, to glorify Christ. If we allow our old nature to be dominant we do those things seen in Gal 5:17-21. If we allow the Holy Spirit to direct our lives we produce the fruit seen in Gal 5:22-24 Note in vs 24 it speaks of crucifying the flesh with the affections and lusts. We are to deem ourselves dead to sin but alive to Christ. Eph 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalmsand hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.

Thanksgiving is a special time for the Christian. We have much to be thankful for. We can be thankful for these things everyday of the year but this one day is special and due our honor as unto the Lord. The Christian can be thankful to the Lord for the good and the tribulations they have received.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Dani H
Nov 24th 2009, 11:56 PM
Abiding = living.

In = inside.

Literal translation: live inside Jesus.

The Bible has a lot of things to say about Christians being "in Christ." What it literally means is that from God's point of view, we're inside Jesus and live in Him like physically we live in a house or apartment.

So if we're in Him, that means He surrounds us. That means whatever affects us, affects Him first of all. Whatever hurts us, He can feel it. Whatever we think, He knows. Also, living in Him means that what applies to Him, also applies to us.

Example:
A few years ago, I was going through some things and I told God one day that I was in such trouble I couldn't see straight.

God asked me: " Is Jesus in trouble?

I said "Umm no, of course not."

He said "You're inside my Son, and if He isn't in trouble, then neither are you."

So "abiding in Jesus" means a literal place of residence that's true from where God sits. It's spiritual reality. Which is just as real as physical reality. The spirit realm is real. God is real. Demons are real. God is spirit. That means He is a real entity in the spiritual world. The spiritual world of course affects the physical world. As Christians, we are able to see in the spirit world and operate there, not in some oogie boogie way but in reality and in all practicality. God wants to use our bodies to touch the physical world and change it. Just like the enemy would love to use our bodies to touch the physcial world. Since both are spiritual in nature (God and the devil), it's up to us as human beings to decide who is going to use us in what way. My choice has been made. Hope yours has too.

We will understand things better if we allow ourselves to see reality through God's eyes and step away from what we think we know long enough to be instructed in these things.

Hope that helps. :)

The Mighty Sword
Nov 25th 2009, 12:08 AM
"Abiding in Christ"

Abiding in Christ is to abide in The Word, since Christ is The Word,

John 1:1-2 1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.

Revelation 19:13 13He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.

So it is plain to see abiding in the Christ is Abiding in The Word since they are one in the same.

Dani H
Nov 25th 2009, 12:11 AM
"Abiding in Christ"

Abiding in Christ is to abide in The Word, since Christ is The Word,

John 1:1-2 1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.

Revelation 19:13 13He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.

So it is plain to see abiding in the Christ is Abiding in The Word since they are one in the same.

Long as you understand that The Word isn't letters on a page but a living, breathing Person; the Son of God Himself.

The Mighty Sword
Nov 25th 2009, 12:14 AM
Long as you understand that The Word isn't letters on a page but a living, breathing Person; the Son of God Himself.

Hallelujah, He's alive, he's the alpha and omega first and last is he, the curse of sin is broken we have perfect liberty, the Lamb of GOD is risen he's alive.

IsItLove?
Nov 25th 2009, 10:33 AM
To abide in Christ Jesus = to live like Christ Jesus

ThyWordIsTruth
Nov 25th 2009, 01:36 PM

Christ said that if we want to abide in his love, we obey his commands. So obedience is the first step. Without obedience there is no abiding.

How I understand abiding in Christ is to have communion with him. What does that mean? We pray. We study his word to learn his character. We study his word to learn what God loves and hates, what he expects of us. And throughout the day we just talk to God.

I think about his attributes, and I think about certain bible verses I read that day. I meditate on it and think deeper on it. Then I remember how God saved me when I was decieved and I give him thanks. I think of the cross, and I thank him. Then in joy I sing hymns sometimes to praise him.

Sometimes I read something in the Gospels about Christ, or in the OT, and it'll astound me and I will think of that the whole day.

In the OT, men wrote the commandments of God on the doorposts, to remind them of God when they go in and out of their houses. These were what the fringes on their robes were for, as a constant reminder of God, that people would think of God throughout the day, He will be in their thoughts.

Great question btw. I'm sure I can learn something from this thread too.

Chaston
Nov 25th 2009, 01:42 PM
Maybe you need to just try to be like Christ brother. But understand and accept we will never be able to reach that lvl, we will sin no matter how hard we try not to. Jesus himself said he who is without sin cast the first stone. They way I understand they put the stones down and went on their way. The trick is knowing when we do and asking for forgiveness, which in turn makes it easier the next time the enemy uses that sin against you. He will try and get you to slip up everyday for the rest of your life. But don't let that burden you because Christ does not hold a grudge like man does. Once you ask for forgiveness it's gone forever. Unless we listen to the enemy when he tries to make us feel guilt for past sins. This is just my opinion of course.

HisLeast
Nov 25th 2009, 02:43 PM
Maybe you need to just try to be like Christ brother. But understand and accept we will never be able to reach that lvl, we will sin no matter how hard we try not to. Jesus himself said he who is without sin cast the first stone. They way I understand they put the stones down and went on their way. The trick is knowing when we do and asking for forgiveness, which in turn makes it easier the next time the enemy uses that sin against you. He will try and get you to slip up everyday for the rest of your life. But don't let that burden you because Christ does not hold a grudge like man does. Once you ask for forgiveness it's gone forever. Unless we listen to the enemy when he tries to make us feel guilt for past sins. This is just my opinion of course.

I do try to be like Christ, when in fact its obvious what Christ is like, which isn't as often as one would think. I do find "be like Christ" a little clearer at least, from an action perspective.

I'm just trying to cut through confusing language (no offense to the goodly member who originally inspired this question with these words!). I know what "act like _____" means (sorta), but "abide in" makes no sense to me at all given the word's definition. To abide is

to wait for
to endure without yielding
to bear patiently
to accept without objection

To that end I might understand "abide Christ" (kinda), but there's that "in" that still needs to be contended with.

Vhayes
Nov 25th 2009, 03:11 PM
The Holy Spirit dwells within believers. It is He Who does the works, we are only the conduit. can we refuse to cooperate? Certainly. God doesn't want robots. But to allow the Holy Spirit to work through your hands, your head, your mouth is what abiding in means. At least to me.

Bladers
Nov 25th 2009, 03:16 PM
To that end I might understand "abide Christ" (kinda), but there's that "in" that still needs to be contended with.
The "IN" is the Unity with Christ.
But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. (1 Cor 6:17)

John 17-25
Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

BroRog
Nov 25th 2009, 08:27 PM
When Jesus said to "abide" in him, he meant "keep believing what I said."

We pick up a Bible; we read what Jesus said; we believe what he said and allow his teaching to inform how we live; we come to understand how Jesus saw the world and we begin to see the world that way too.

If we continue to do all of that, then we are abiding with him. But if one day we say to ourselves, "Jesus doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm going to find life and happiness elsewhere." In that moment, we have decided not to abide with Jesus.

Desperaux
Nov 25th 2009, 10:54 PM
John 8:31 AMPLIFIED
So Jesus said to those Jews who had believed in Him, If you abide in My word [hold fast to My teachings and live in accordance with them], you are truly My disciples.

John 8:31 NLT
Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings.

It's pretty self-explanatory.

chad
Nov 26th 2009, 11:42 AM
To me, abiding in Christ means … To live a life in-him, with-him and to remain in him. (John 15:4-10)

What does this mean practically. Paul writes in Ephesians 6:13-18 to put on the Armour of God. When we do this:

We abide in his Truth, Salvation, Rigteousness, Peace and Word.
We live a life with him through faith, prayer and the word (by the holy Spirit).
And we remain in Christ, even though we may face hardship or troubles.