PDA

View Full Version : Consequences

IsItLove?
Nov 26th 2009, 04:28 PM
Does he fact that our sin are forgiven mean we don't suffer the Consequences of our sinful behavior?

tango
Nov 26th 2009, 04:50 PM
I'd have to answer that with yes and no.

Being forgiven frees us from the eternal consequences of sin, so we can still enter heaven. When we stand before God our sins are forgiven - because Jesus already paid the price for them we won't be banished from God's presence.

But that doesn't mean we are free from the mortal consequences. The fact God can forgive a murderer doesn't cancel the jail sentence. God forgives sexual sin but the mortal consequences could include STDs or unexpected children. God forgives anger and gossip but we might still have lost friends over things we said or did.

Servant89
Nov 28th 2009, 10:44 PM
Gal 6:8 (http://webnet77.com/cgi-bin/bible/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=48&CHAP=6&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=8) For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

I am not tempted by heroine, but if I try it, my body will be corrupted (being awakened to a new kind of sin) and then I will suffer the consequences, suffering in the flesh, looking for it, craving it...

But regarding salvation, no. Salvation depends on my faith, not how well I keep the law (see Gal 2:16,21; Gal 5:4). Salvation depends on what Christ did on Calvary. If I lose my salvation every time I sin, and I gain it back every time I repent, then it is up to me... in that case, why did he die?

If doctors warn against certain practice because it can damage our bodies, we should not think that being forgiven will waive those dangers.

Shalom

fuzzi
Nov 28th 2009, 10:47 PM
I'd have to answer that with yes and no.

Being forgiven frees us from the eternal consequences of sin, so we can still enter heaven. When we stand before God our sins are forgiven - because Jesus already paid the price for them we won't be banished from God's presence.

But that doesn't mean we are free from the mortal consequences. The fact God can forgive a murderer doesn't cancel the jail sentence. God forgives sexual sin but the mortal consequences could include STDs or unexpected children. God forgives anger and gossip but we might still have lost friends over things we said or did.
Amen.

And I also believe that we will have to stand before Christ at His judgment seat, and not only feel shame over what we did, but over what we didn't do for Him. Were we a good steward of His gifts, and of the time He gave to us?

Sobering thoughts, indeed.