PDA

View Full Version : Is this bad?

GreekAsianPanda
Nov 28th 2009, 04:41 AM
I'm writing a story (a novel) and two of my characters are having a public debate in a Catholic church conference room before a crowd of two hundren people. The debate is called "Is Islam a Religion of Peace?" Abdullah Osama is representing the Islam side and Jeremy is representing to Christian side.

My question is: Is it bad to say stuff against the Bible if it's coming out of Abdullah Osama's mouth? (he likes throwing red herrings while debating)

Thanks =)

P.S. I must add that Jeremy is going to refute Abdullah Osama's arguments against the Bible.

Buzzword
Nov 28th 2009, 07:17 PM
Dude, seriously...it's YOUR NOVEL.

Same thing I said in the other thread:

Main thing is to have nothing your characters do be accidental or coincidental.
Everyone has a reason for everything they do, we just don't see it because we are creatures of habit, and we almost never know EVERYTHING about a person.
Your characters should be (at least to you the author) the exception to this.
You should know as much about them as possible, down to the nobody-cares-about-this details, because those are the details that make your characters REAL, and how the details reveal themselves makes your readers CARE about what happens to your characters.

Don't worry about something you put in YOUR writing being "sinful."
I'm pretty sure you have a good idea of what you want in YOUR writing, and you shouldn't be relying on an Internet forum to tell you what should or shouldn't be in YOUR novel.

Athanasius
Nov 28th 2009, 07:50 PM
I suppose you've never read The Brothers Karamazov. Christian author, very strong anti-Christian arguments from a particular character in his book.