PDA

View Full Version : Why was this prophecy not fulfilled?

ThyWordIsTruth
Dec 12th 2009, 07:50 AM
Isa 13:19 And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the splendor and pomp of the Chaldeans, will be like Sodom and Gomorrah when God overthrew them.
Isa 13:20 It will never be inhabited or lived in for all generations; no Arab will pitch his tent there; no shepherds will make their flocks lie down there.
Isa 13:21 But wild animals will lie down there, and their houses will be full of howling creatures; there ostriches will dwell, and there wild goats will dance.
Isa 13:22 Hyenas will cry in its towers, and jackals in the pleasant palaces; its time is close at hand and its days will not be prolonged.

Babylon is modern Iraq, correct? This prophecy said it will never be inhabited or lived in for all generations and no Arab will pitch his tent there. "there" referring to the geographical location I suppose.

However, we know today Iraq is occupied by people and Arabs do live there. So how do we reconcile this?

IsItLove?
Dec 12th 2009, 09:05 AM
How does Babylon, play in from Rev.

I think this one in Isaiah is still waiting on Rev to be fulfilled completely.

Destroyed in a day, like Sodom.

Perhaps after being rebuilt to all its glory it will get nuked and become a wasteland.

Perhaps it is a Spiritual not physical Babylon.
The description in Rev is about wealth and all the goods of the world being consumed by her. How the ships of the nations sat full of goods with no where to go when she was destroyed.

Know any nation that fits the bill?

vinsight4u8
Dec 12th 2009, 12:52 PM
Because this prophecy too sits hanging in limbo.

Jerermiah 25:11

11: And this whole land shall be a desolation, and an astonishment; and these nations shall serve the king of Babylon seventy years.
12: And it shall come to pass, when seventy years are accomplished, that I will punish the king of Babylon, and that nation, saith the LORD, for their iniquity, and the land of the Chaldeans, and will make it perpetual desolations.

Last time the Babylonian empire was taken down after about only 66 or so years. Babylon has yet to get to the point of where she ruled the nations for 70 years - and held the holy site.

Nebuchadnezzar - 605 ---------the 70 years began to clock down - till 539 when Cyrus the Persian took them over.

So - Babylon never completed her 70 years. Jeremiah v 12 can't come to pass - untill Babylon first has ruled for 70 years.

The man of sin will be the ruler of Iraq.

605 -539 B.C. ----------now the world waits for the beast of Iraq to complete those 70 years

vinsight4u8
Dec 12th 2009, 01:09 PM
Something I came across many years ago - is that there is a yoke story in the bible.

Moses prophesied of this yoke of iron. Jeremiah 30 shows us that a yoke will break during the time of Jacob's trouble.

All right - so here is where we learn about the coming yoke of iron.

Deut. 28
48: Therefore shalt thou serve thine enemies which the LORD shall send against thee, in hunger, and in thirst, and in nakedness, and in want of all things: and he shall put a yoke of iron upon thy neck, until he have destroyed thee.
49: The LORD shall bring a nation against thee from far, from the end of the earth, as swift as the eagle flieth; a nation whose tongue thou shalt not understand;
50: A nation of fierce countenance, which shall not regard the person of the old, nor shew favour to the young:

Moses was warning Israel that one day the yoke of iron would be placed on them.

-----------------------so time began to unfold more - and years and years passed - then we come to something Jeremiah wrote as to yokes.

ch2 / ch 2
20: For of old time I have broken thy yoke, and burst thy bands; and thou saidst, I will not transgress; when upon every high hill and under every green tree thou wanderest, playing the harlot.

So before the days of Jeremiah - all of the previous yokes that had been on the neck of Israel were there no longer. They were done serving those nations.

then - we come to this --------------
> Jeremiah 27

6: And now have I given all these lands unto the hand of Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon my servant; and the beasts of the field have I given him also to serve him.
7: And all nations shall serve him, and his son, and his son's son, until the very time of his land come: and then many nations and great kings shall serve themselves of him.

This began as to being yokes made of wood. A false prophet broke that part - was soon dead, and we Jeremiah 28:14.

13: Go and tell Hananiah, saying, Thus saith the LORD; Thou hast broken the yokes of wood; but thou shalt make for them yokes of iron.
14: For thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; I have put a yoke of iron upon the neck of all these nations, that they may serve Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon; and they shall serve him: and I have given him the beasts of the field also.

So Babylon's days brought the curse on them that Moses had long ago propheised - the yoke of iron.
Okay - since Babylon never had her 70 years, I see it as this curse is still sitting on the necks of the nations.

Babylon's (Iraq's) land has yet to boss the nations some more ----and then we will get to where this yoke will finally break.

Jeremiah 30

7: Alas! for that day is great, so that none is like it: it is even the time of Jacob's trouble; but he shall be saved out of it.
8: For it shall come to pass in that day, saith the LORD of hosts, that I will break his yoke from off thy neck, and will burst thy bonds, and strangers shall no more serve themselves of him:

vinsight4u8
Dec 12th 2009, 01:24 PM
Rev. 18 refers to the Babylon that made the nations drink.

We find that was ancient Babylon as - Jeremiah wrote
>

15: For thus saith the LORD God of Israel unto me; Take the wine cup of this fury at my hand, and cause all the nations, to whom I send thee, to drink it.
16: And they shall drink, and be moved, and be mad, because of the sword that I will send among them. /Jer. 25

Rev. 18

2: And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.
3: For all nation have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.

vinsight4u8
Dec 12th 2009, 01:29 PM
Psalms
11:6: Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.

73:10: Therefore his people return hither: and waters of a full cup are wrung out to them.

8: For in the hand of the LORD there is a cup and the wine is red; it is full of mixture; and he poureth out of the same: but the dregs thereof, all the wicked of the earth shall wring them out, and drink them.

137:8: O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.
9: Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

matthew94
Dec 12th 2009, 04:34 PM
Isa 13:19 And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the splendor and pomp of the Chaldeans, will be like Sodom and Gomorrah when God overthrew them.
Isa 13:20 It will never be inhabited or lived in for all generations; no Arab will pitch his tent there; no shepherds will make their flocks lie down there.
Isa 13:21 But wild animals will lie down there, and their houses will be full of howling creatures; there ostriches will dwell, and there wild goats will dance.
Isa 13:22 Hyenas will cry in its towers, and jackals in the pleasant palaces; its time is close at hand and its days will not be prolonged.

Babylon is modern Iraq, correct? This prophecy said it will never be inhabited or lived in for all generations and no Arab will pitch his tent there. "there" referring to the geographical location I suppose.

However, we know today Iraq is occupied by people and Arabs do live there. So how do we reconcile this?

The prophecy was fulfilled. It's a prophecy against the ancient Babylonian Empire. The Babylonian Empire was destroyed by the Medo-Persian alliance. Just 2 verses before what you quoted it mentions these Medes as being the force that would overtake them. Nebuchadnezzar's house has never re-emerged from this defeat. It's a prophecy about an end of a kingdom, not necessarily the end of a plot of ground.

moonglow
Dec 12th 2009, 06:19 PM
The prophecy was fulfilled. It's a prophecy against the ancient Babylonian Empire. The Babylonian Empire was destroyed by the Medo-Persian alliance. Just 2 verses before what you quoted it mentions these Medes as being the force that would overtake them. Nebuchadnezzar's house has never re-emerged from this defeat. It's a prophecy about an end of a kingdom, not necessarily the end of a plot of ground.

This is correct..also Saddam Hussein tried to rebuild the ancient City of Babylon...you can't rebuild something if its already there.

Saddam's Babylonian Palace (http://architecture.about.com/cs/countriescultures/a/saddamspalace.htm)

From the ancient palace of Nebuchadnezzar to a lavish new palace for himself, Saddam Hussein used architecture to awe and intimidate.

When Saddam Hussein rose to power in Iraq, he conceived a grandiose scheme to rebuild the ancient City of Babylon. Saddam Hussein said that Babylon's great palaces and the legendary hanging gardens of Babylon (one of the seven wonders of the ancient world) would rise from dust. Like the powerful King Nebuchadnezzar II who conquered Jerusalem 2,500 years ago, Saddam Hussein would rule over the world's greatest empire. The vaulting ambition of Saddam Hussein found expression in vaulting, and often pretentious, architecture.

God bless

Chaston
Dec 12th 2009, 06:59 PM

100% true. In Rev. the city of Babylon was not mentioned until ch 16:19.

16:19 And the great city was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell: and great Babylon came in remembrance before God, to give unto her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of his wrath.

Notice "came in remembrance", this does not mean that the city is going to be rebuilt, but it reminded God of Bablyon.

Chaston
Dec 12th 2009, 07:02 PM
This is correct..also Saddam Hussein tried to rebuild the ancient City of Babylon...you can't rebuild something if its already there.

Saddam's Babylonian Palace (http://architecture.about.com/cs/countriescultures/a/saddamspalace.htm)

From the ancient palace of Nebuchadnezzar to a lavish new palace for himself, Saddam Hussein used architecture to awe and intimidate.

When Saddam Hussein rose to power in Iraq, he conceived a grandiose scheme to rebuild the ancient City of Babylon. Saddam Hussein said that Babylon's great palaces and the legendary hanging gardens of Babylon (one of the seven wonders of the ancient world) would rise from dust. Like the powerful King Nebuchadnezzar II who conquered Jerusalem 2,500 years ago, Saddam Hussein would rule over the world's greatest empire. The vaulting ambition of Saddam Hussein found expression in vaulting, and often pretentious, architecture.

God bless

The ruins are still there, Saddam did try to rebuild it. But that went against what God commanded. What happened to Saddam Hussein? :rolleyes:

markedward
Dec 12th 2009, 08:26 PM
100% true. In Rev. the city of Babylon was not mentioned until ch 16:19.Babylon is mentioned in chapter 14...

Servant89
Dec 12th 2009, 09:56 PM

Babylon was located inside modern Iraq, but Babylon is not Iraq. Babylon was a city which remains in ruins today. God predicted that he was going to destroy it permanently with his fan (Jer 51:2) and broom (Isa 14:22-23), and he did, he brought the sand dunes moving from the saudi desert until they covered the whole city. No one knows exactly where it was located, the full extent. They found part of it but it remains covered with dirt, burried below the dirt, sunk below the surface, thus fulfilling Jer 51:64. No one lives in her because to live in her, would mean living underground.

Arabs might live over it not knowing what is beneath.

Shalom

JohnDB
Dec 12th 2009, 10:08 PM
awwwww

I was excited for a moment...

But the original city of Babylon was destroyed by neglect and abandonment

there is another prophesy talking about babylon and I was looking forward to a discussion about it.

Chaston
Dec 12th 2009, 10:12 PM
Babylon is mentioned in chapter 14...

I stand corrected. Thank you, brother!

moonglow
Dec 13th 2009, 02:48 AM
The ruins are still there, Saddam did try to rebuild it. But that went against what God commanded. What happened to Saddam Hussein? :rolleyes:

Yep...he seemed to admire Nebuchadnezzar very much..:rolleyes:

From that same link I posted before:

Nebuchadnezzar's Palace
In 1982, Saddam's workers began reconstructing Babylon's most imposing building, the 600-room palace of King Nebuchadnezzar II. Archaeologists were horrified. Many said that to rebuild on top of ancient artifacts does not preserve history, but disfigures it. The original bricks, which rise two or three feet from the ground, bear ancient inscriptions praising Nebuchadnezzar. Above these, Saddam Hussein's workers laid more than 60-million sand-colored bricks inscribed with the words, "In the era of Saddam Hussein, protector of Iraq, who rebuilt civilization and rebuilt Babylon." The new bricks began to crack after only ten years.

It goes on to say while he was spending huge amounts of money on this, his own people were dying of starvation. He was indeed a ruthless man.

One time some years ago when I was reading about this, the workers seemed to think the place was cursed because strange things kept happening to ruin or prevent their work. No one wanted to do the work because of this. They were really spooked by whatever was going on. Wish I could find that article again.

Here is an interesting one though: Rebuilding Babylon: A fight between God of the bible and his enemies. (http://ivarfjeld.wordpress.com/2009/04/26/rebuilding-babylon-a-fight-between-god-of-the-bible-and-his-enemies/)

God bless

Diggindeeper
Dec 13th 2009, 05:56 AM
Babylon is (or WAS) a city in what is now known as "Iraq." Here is a link to some photos taken not long ago showing the ruins of Babylon...

Very interesting! (And no, it is not and will not again be inhabited.)

Babylon Ruins - Iraq Photos - Architecture in Iraq (http://architecture.about.com/od/themiddleeast/ig/Iraq-Photos/Babylon-Ruins.htm)Amidst the ruins of ancient Babylon, children look to the future. US military personnel and relief workers have contributed these remarkable photographs of ...http://architecture.about.com/od/themiddleeast/ig/Iraq-Photos/Babylon-Ruins.htm - 16k -

IsItLove?
Dec 13th 2009, 07:29 AM
Babylon was located inside modern Iraq, but Babylon is not Iraq. Babylon was a city which remains in ruins today. God predicted that he was going to destroy it permanently with his fan (Jer 51:2) and broom (Isa 14:22-23), and he did, he brought the sand dunes moving from the saudi desert until they covered the whole city. No one knows exactly where it was located, the full extent. They found part of it but it remains covered with dirt, burried below the dirt, sunk below the surface, thus fulfilling Jer 51:64. No one lives in her because to live in her, would mean living underground.

Arabs might live over it not knowing what is beneath.

Shalom
The destruction outlined could pertain to it's final destruction.
Seeing that it is currently being rebuilt.

Leon Manso
Dec 13th 2009, 10:28 AM
This prophecy rather than not being fulfilled, reveals with unerring accuracy God's word, and gives us very convincing proof that it is indeed God's word. How so?

This prophecy was written far in advance of its fulfillment and we have historical as well as written records to prove it.

Isaiah lived during the seventh century B. C. E. during the time of the seemingly impregnatible capital of the Babylonian Empire, it was known as Babylon. And it is against this city that prophecy was written. During a time that most would have laughed at it.

Babylon the great city was known as the "jewl of kingdoms", and was stratigically located on the trade route from the Persian Gulf to the Mediterranean Sea, serving as a commerical depot for both alnd and sea trade between the East and the West.

Some higher critics like to state that Isaiah and other books were written far after they were, but we have testament that Isaiah was in existence at least 3 centuries before the birth of Christ, for the Dead Sea Scrolls contain almost the entire book of Isaiah, and these have been dated to three centuries before Christ.

Notice how history accurately shows that Babylon was swept with the broom of annialation and it eventually become uninhabited and is not up to this present day:

Two centries after Isaiah's prophecy Cyrus the Great on the night of October 5, 539 B. C. E. attacked and took the city of Babylon. And he did it just as Isaiah three centuries earlier had foretold.

Isaiah foretold the name of the conqerer of Babylon himself - Cyrus -long before he was born- "This is what Jehovah has said to his anointed one, to Cyrus."(Isaiah 45:1.)

Isaiah also fortold the manner in which the great city Babylon would fall. He stated that the invaders would dry up the riverbeds. It also foretold that the gates would be open, and no doors would be shut. (Isaiah 44:27, 28.)

Notice how Herodotus the father of history explains how Babylon was conquered. He said that inside the city people "were dancing and making merry at a festival." Outside however Cyrus diverted the waters of the river Euphrates. As the water levels sank his soliders walked thourgh the riverbed with water up to their thighs. They marched past the towering walls and entered through what Herodotus called "the gates that opened on the river," gates carelessly left open. Other historians including Xenophon, as well as cunefirom tablets found by archaelogists, confrim the sudden fall of Babylon by Cyrus.

Now again it is claimed by some that because the prophecy of Isaiah was so accurate, even naming the name of the conquerer of Babylon three centuries in advance that it must have been written after the fact. But why would Isaiah if he was an imposter or a forger pull off such a feat as to write such things, and also foretell that this once great city, would never ever ever be inhabited again?

Let us follow history and see if his prophecy continues to be accurate.

After Cyrus conqered Babylon, it continued albeit inferior for centuries. When the Dead Sea scrolls were written the Parthains took control of Babylon, and later Peter visted a settlement of Jews in Babylon in the first century of our common era.

But as foretold, Babylon eventually became mere "piles of stones" (Jeremiah 51:37). According to the Hebrew scholar Jerome (fourth century) by his day Babylon was a hunting ground in which "beasts of every type" romaed. Babylon remains desolate down to this day.

Isaiah himself enver lived to see Babylon become uninhabited. The ruins of that once powerful city lay 80km south of Babghdad, in modern Iraq, and they bare silent testimony to the fulfillment of his words: "She will never be inhabited."

Isaiah did not merely utter vague predictions that could fit any future happenings, nor did he write history to make it appear as prophecy. Think of this: Why would an imposter prophsey about something over which they would have no control - that mighty Babhlon would never again be inhabited!

Chaston
Dec 13th 2009, 10:31 AM

The enemy (Satan) could influence someone to TRY and build it again to throw us off, so we are looking at that and not his real plan. He is the ultimate deceiver. :idea:

Servant89
Dec 13th 2009, 11:39 AM
awwwww

I was excited for a moment...

But the original city of Babylon was destroyed by neglect and abandonment

there is another prophesy talking about babylon and I was looking forward to a discussion about it.

It was neglected and abandoned yes, but the dunes came over and burried her. Most of her is still burried today, just as the Scripture states in Jer 51:64. Why is it so difficult for Christians to believe the word? Even "Thy word is truth" starts this thread by assuming that God failed to fulfill his Word? Look at the title of his first post here. Why are so many Christians so reluctant to believe that prophecy was fulfilled? Luke 24:25 gives us a hint.

Shalom

vinsight4u8
Dec 13th 2009, 12:12 PM
Babylon has not yet fallen in the way that has been prophesied. Plus - when she does get consumed - then there has to also be a Babylonian king there for God to punish.

Servant89
Dec 13th 2009, 12:16 PM
Babylon is (or WAS) a city in what is now known as "Iraq." Here is a link to some photos taken not long ago showing the ruins of Babylon...

Very interesting! (And no, it is not and will not again be inhabited.)

Babylon Ruins - Iraq Photos - Architecture in Iraq (http://architecture.about.com/od/themiddleeast/ig/Iraq-Photos/Babylon-Ruins.htm)Amidst the ruins of ancient Babylon, children look to the future. US military personnel and relief workers have contributed these remarkable photographs of ...http://architecture.about.com/od/themiddleeast/ig/Iraq-Photos/Babylon-Ruins.htm - 16k -

OMG! You blessed me immensely. Thank you!

Shalom

vinsight4u8
Dec 13th 2009, 12:18 PM
12: And it shall come to pass, when seventy years are accomplished, that I will pinish the king of Babylon, and that nation, saith the LORD, for their iniquity, and the land of the Chaldeans, and will make it perpetual desolations.

Jeremiah

vinsight4u8
Dec 13th 2009, 12:24 PM
1: And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory.
2: And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.
3: For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.
4: And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

----------------------------Rev. 18------------------------------------------------

How much easer could God have made it known to us that Babylon is around for the end days?

moonglow
Dec 13th 2009, 03:09 PM

Two things...does the bible say it will be rebuilt? Second..is becoming a tourist attraction fit that? It would not be a city again..but a place for people to visit..no power, no great military strength, no people living there. :hmm:

U.S., Iraqi experts developing plan to preserve Babylon, build local tourism industry (http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=63495)
U.S., Iraqi experts developing plan to preserve Babylon, build local tourism industry
Story and photos by Seth Robson, Stars and Stripes
Mideast edition, Sunday, June 28, 2009

HILLAH, Iraq — The remains of what was once the greatest city in the world occupy a vast site on the bank of the Euphrates River.

Their roots go back 3,800 years to when the city of Babylon was the heart of a Mesopotamian empire, and the remnants include great slabs of stone that are said to be the remains of King Nebuchadnezzar’s castle. A giant stone lion guards one end of the fortifications, but the most stunning remnants were removed by European archaeologists in the early 20th century.

Now soldiers with the 172nd Infantry Brigade are exploring the ruins as part of a U.S.-Iraqi effort to preserve the ancient city and plan for the return of Western tourists.

vinsight4u8 12: And it shall come to pass, when seventy years are accomplished, that I will pinish the king of Babylon, and that nation, saith the LORD, for their iniquity, and the land of the Chaldeans, and will make it perpetual desolations.

Jeremiah

Jeremiah 25:12
‘Then it will come to pass, when seventy years are completed, that I will punish the king of Babylon and that nation, the land of the Chaldeans, for their iniquity,’ says the LORD; ‘and I will make it a perpetual desolation.

Yes this was fulfilled. History shows us that. That is what all the links are about talking about how Babylon with king Nebuchadnezzar was destroyed. Its no longer a city let alone a great city. I don't understand why you ignore history like this.

The Babylon in Revelation doesn't refer to an already destroyed city nor does it suggest its rebuilt then destroyed again. Its referring to another city with the same qualities that Babylon used to have. Remember Revelations is very symbolic.

God bless

JohnDB
Dec 14th 2009, 01:15 AM
Think of it...

A Walled city that was so big that it took three days to walk accross.

All that is left is some ruins of Nebudchandezzars palace.

vinsight4u8
Dec 14th 2009, 10:21 AM
Zech 5 shows that Shinar must rebuild,

WHen Cyrus came - took down a Babylonian ruler - it was not the time when the fnal king falls from there, as the final king gets punished at the same time as his land does.

Cyrus was seen more as a liberator.
Babylon was never taken down in the harsh way prohesied as to her land, nor Isael fleeing from there. as in -every soul is to flee - last time even the prophet Daniel didn't leave

Zech 5

11: And he said unto me, To build it an house in the land of Shinar: and it shall be established, and set there upon her own base.

Jer. 50

18: Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will punish the king of Babylon and his land, as I have punished the king of Assyria.
19: And I will bring Israel again to his habitation, and he shall feed on Carmel and Bashan, and his soul shall be satisfied upon mount Ephraim and Gilead.
20: In those days, and in that time, saith the LORD, the iniquity of Israel shall be sought for, and there shall be none; and the sins of Judah, and they shall not be found: for I will pardon them whom I reserve.
21: Go up against the land of Merathaim, even against it, and against the inhabitants of Pekod: waste and utterly destory after them, saith the LORD, and do according to all that I have commanded thee

ch 51

6: Flee out of the midst of Babylon, and deliver every man his soul: be not cut off in her iniquity; for this is the time of the LORD's vengeance; he will render unto her a recompense.
7: Babylon hath been a golden cup in the LORD's hand, that made all the earth drunken: the nations have drunken of her wine; therefore the nations are mad.