PDA

View Full Version : What does the Bible say about God's help in a trial?

Saved!
Jan 13th 2010, 03:48 AM
I am in the midst of a very scary financial trial. Not a financial trial that my husband and I got ourselves into being careless..... Our modest trucking business is failing due to the recession despite our best efforts.

God IS taking care of us. So far, by His grace, we stay on top of the bills....but just barely. The bank account and the stack of bills scares me to death. No trucking work is in sight here.

Anyway, my husband has applied for a job (not in trucking) to help pay the bills and maybe, just maybe, keep us from going belly up. I pray that he will get the call that he has gotten the job.

First, some background. Through EVERY trial in my past 41 yrs, God has seen me through....my dad still lives after a diagnosis of a cancerous brain tumor 3 yrs ago....my brother still lives after a bout with destructive alcoholism 12 yrs ago.....I still am symptom-free after an MS diagnosis by a doctor and a physical therapist 5 years ago.....I could go on and on.

My problem in this trial and in all the ones before? I always say to myself, "I KNOW God CAN get me out of this! I know NOTHING is beyond His control. But, how do I know He WILL help me THIS time? How do I know that He hasn't decided to let me fall this time?"

What does the Bible say about being able to have faith that God will ALWAYS see you through you trials?

SAVED!

FinalTrump
Jan 13th 2010, 05:37 AM
God will always see us through trials, but that doesn't mean we escape them. Trials are part of our growth as Christians. It is part of our sacrifice, our all we laid on the altar. No matter what the outcome we have his promie:

Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

DaveS
Jan 13th 2010, 05:56 AM
Saved, I have found this advice to be three things...First, true; Second, of little comfort to those who give it little thought; and Third, revolutionary for those (like myself) who have heard it and made a feeble attempt to grasp its full impact.

Phil.4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

The promise here is not that if we seek the Lord, we will receive what we ask for. The promise is that if we seek the Lord, with thanksgiving, we will attain to His peace. And that that peace will then fully garrison our hearts and our minds.

I've been through financial ruin. My wife and I are currently struggling (hard) to keep our bills paid. But to me this promise is more real, more precious and more powerful than any financial windfall could be.

I know that sounds like rhetoric and platitude. But I don't know any other way to express it. The peace of God is truly the supply for all our need.

I hope that helps.

Dave

My heart's Desire
Jan 13th 2010, 06:53 AM
First, I'd like to say that I'm very sympathetic to your plight and I'm just not so sure that there is not going to be quite a few of us in the same situation. I'm not one of the hoard up, board up, hunker down type of people but I also do not see any relief from this economic plight we are in (depending on which country you are from). I think we are in for a rough ride.
Regardless, I agree with Dave S. The best I have to add is that God will see to your needs and it is not always what we think. There may be changes. It may not be something you can go under or over but something you must go through. I do know that if you trust God, your faith will get even stronger and it sounds like your faith is already strong by the things you've already been through. Myself, it seems as if financial struggling has been the story of my life. It is scary enough to have a job and yet not be able to pay what we have to, needless to say tougher still to do so with no income at all. I won't retell the whole story but my anxiety was overcome through such a situation before and it may sound to simple to most, but even though I did not give up, I just decided "well, what could be worse"? Death? No, even in that I'm still the Lord's child and I can trust Him with it all. Yes, it may sound easy, but trusting like this is not all that easy, but can be done.
Be encouraged and know that you are and probably will not be alone.

nzyr
Jan 13th 2010, 08:30 AM
Try to be strong and patient. And know you're not alone. And never, never, ever, ever, give up.

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. (Hebrews 13:5)

Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. (1 Peter 5:6-7)

bc3n1
Jan 13th 2010, 12:01 PM
Like the others that have posted, so many of us are one step away from the street. I refuse to dwell and look to what might happen, letting it rob me of the peace that the Lord gives to us all. As nzyr posted, "Cast all your care upon Him; for He careth for you." His shoulders are so much bigger and stronger than mine or yours and you are His possession to care for. Trust Him.