PDA

View Full Version : 23 Minutes In Hell

A820djd
Feb 2nd 2010, 03:19 AM
Has anyone read this book? I recently heard the story and I was wondering, what truley can I do that would 110% save me from eternal damnation, it terrifies me.

markedward
Feb 2nd 2010, 03:38 AM
Has anyone read this book?I haven't read the book, but I watched about an hour-long presentation by the author... his book's description of hell is incredibly un-Scriptural. He relies more upon medieval mythology and Hollywood sensationalism. What Scripture he does use, he combines passages about completely unrelated places.

what truley can I do that would 110% save me from eternal damnation,You're a Christian and you honestly don't know?

A820djd
Feb 2nd 2010, 03:43 AM
I'm not sure in some ways... I still sin, I try to repent, sometimes I'll sin the same over again... But so will you, lying, cheating, stealing in some way or another. Do these sins still count as sins or are they truley TRULEY washed away with Jesus as our Lord and savior?

moonglow
Feb 2nd 2010, 03:54 AM
I agree with Markedward on this..the man's description of hell is just not found in the bible..there are no descriptions of demons torturing people either. Or even descriptions of demons at all!

the thing is though Scottizzle while this man's book isn't true..you should be scared. Jesus gave us description of hell that while I believe was metaphorical and not literal..He did it in this way To warn people..to warn them away from the pit they were headed for. Cause it will be bad..but not like this man in the book describes.

what truley can I do that would 110% save me from eternal damnation,

You need to get right with God and truly seek Him..get into the Word..find a good bible based church and ask God to get you on the right track. We don't do the 'sinner's prayer' get 'free ticket to Heaven' and keep sinning...Jesus tells us we have to be born again. When you are born again the Holy Spirit lives in you and guides you so you can avoid these sins. He takes away the desire to sin in many ways. It doesn't mean we won't mess up..we all do...then we sincerely repent and stop doing that sin. We are a work in progress..but you have to be truly making the process. Truly work on your relationship with Christ. Ok?

Praying for you!

God bless

A820djd
Feb 2nd 2010, 04:01 AM
So you're saying... Try.

moonglow
Feb 2nd 2010, 04:25 AM
So you're saying... Try.

No I am saying DO.

Matthew 7

Keep Asking, Seeking, Knocking

7 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 9 Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him! 12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
The Narrow Way

13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

You need to completely surrender your life to Jesus. Quit trying to be the driver and let Him take control. ASK Him to come into your life..really make that connection with Him. You don't have to be perfect to do this. As the bible says, He died for us while we were still sinners.

Ask Him to just take over and mean it. Ask Him before you do anything. Before you put yourself in a situation where you will feel the need to lie..or steal or whatever you are dealing with.

He doesn't expect you to make yourself perfect. He expects you to let Him do that. Those Christians that try to do it on there own suffer burn out and eventually give up the faith because they think they have to do it all by themselves.

The 'doing' is surrendering to Him. He will do the rest.

Its kind of like being in the deep water, drowning..trying to swim..trying to keep your head above water. He is asking you to lay back in the water, quit fighting it and just float. Relax in Him. Rest In Him.

I have to go but I will be praying for you!

God bless

A820djd
Feb 2nd 2010, 04:37 AM
So you're saying you'll never lie again after you stumble just a few more times from doing so?

You're saying the perfect Christians on this board will never look a person of the opposite sex in a lustful manner ever again?

Is it really going to happen like a lot of this people say it will? Just let the lord take over and drive the rest of the way and occasionally they'll stumble then thats what they'll only do is stumble and never repeat these things again?

There is a difference between trying and doing. We are all just trying...

markedward
Feb 2nd 2010, 06:48 AM
So you're saying you'll never lie again after you stumble just a few more times from doing so?

You're saying the perfect Christians on this board will never look a person of the opposite sex in a lustful manner ever again?She didn't imply any of this at all. Why is it when someone is offering you a productive, good answer to your question you have to respond so skeptically?

Do you have genuine, true faith in Christ and his sacrifice for your sins? Do you trust him? Do you believe in him? Do you love him? If your answer is an honest "yes" to each of these, you have nothing to worry about. This doesn't mean you're going to "never sin again". It means you're going to live a life that has been forgiven for your sins, past, present, and future. But it also means that if you truly, honestly, wholeheartedly, uncompromisingly love Jesus you will naturally do what you can to sin less and less.

You can love Christ, stumble in sin, and easily be forgiven (actually, if you love Christ, you were forgiven for it before you ever stumbled). But you cannot actively and intentionally live in sin and truly, honestly, wholeheartedly, uncompromisingly claim to love Christ. You can't have it both ways. Claim you love Christ, but do nothing to abide in his righteousness, and intentionally sin... or actually love Christ, be forgiven when you sin, and continually abide in God by growing more righteous and sinning less...

Rather than taking the testimony of a book that uses hell as a scare tactic, I recommend just reading Scripture. Go there to learn about Christ and his love.

Sam07
Feb 2nd 2010, 06:51 AM
Hi

I suppose like everyone else you would try and walk in the spirit, resist the temptations of the flesh, renew your mind through the word of God, fellowship with other Christians and bear fruit.

When you do make mistakes you would repent and confess your sins, and learn through these trails and errors and develop and transform in your personal relationship with Jesus.

It’s a daily process that challengers all of us I also read a book written By Mary K Baxter called the divine revelation of hell some believe it to be a hoax while others believe it has merit; in any case it was a very interesting read.

Peace

Sam

theBelovedDisciple
Feb 2nd 2010, 03:00 PM
Has anyone read this book? I recently heard the story and I was wondering, what truley can I do that would 110% save me from eternal damnation, it terrifies me.

I saw some clips on it.. and from what I saw.. very unscriptural..... and it looked like a alot of Hollywood .... very much on the same line as another book out that had somebody going into hell ... I believed it first but then went back and checked it against Scripture.. didn't line up at all..

Hell is real and the place of departed souls that are not Born Again is REAL.... it is a place of torment...

Many talk of God.. many say 'yes' to God.. yet don't do His Will...

but there are Some that Genuinely 'know' Christ....

to 'KNOW' Him is the Key..... just not all head knowledge.. all filled with religious knowledge and information about who God is...

but to 'know' Him from your Heart....

open your 'heart'.. not your mind.. and Let HIm Reveal HImself to you.. the True Living God.. Jesus Christ.. God manifest in the flesh...

He stands at the Door of your Heart.. 'knocking'.. want to come in and sup with you and you with Him... that Ye may Know Truth.. the Only True Living Truth...

He will not condemn you or cast you off... but is willing and able to Take you In....

You Come Just as you Are.... Don't Be afraid or confused.. but be of Good Cheer..

Uncle Bud
Feb 2nd 2010, 03:05 PM
I have seen parts of it. Bill Weise claims Hell is 3,700 miles below Earth's surface. I'm skeptical of his book.

moonglow
Feb 2nd 2010, 04:29 PM

You're saying the perfect Christians on this board will never look a person of the opposite sex in a lustful manner ever again?

Is it really going to happen like a lot of this people say it will? Just let the lord take over and drive the rest of the way and occasionally they'll stumble then thats what they'll only do is stumble and never repeat these things again?

markedward is right..I never said any of this. I honestly don't know how you got that out of my post. I was talking about having a real relationship with Christ.

I wasn't talking about these things you brought up..I really don't know how you got that out of my post..:huh: I was trying to give you an encouraging post..I am truly sorry you took it the wrong way. :(

Ok look I will just give you my testimony and maybe that will help.

For most of my life I was a carnal Christian. Meaning I believed in God...I believed Jesus was my Savior but He wasn't the Lord of my life. Our pastor just did a great sermon on this explaining the differences.

Sure I would pray and sometimes follow His lead but when it came to certain things in my life I wanted to run them..make my own decision....especially when it came to men. And sex. I liked sex alot actually. I have lived with many men in my life. You could say I was very much like the woman at the well ..that story in the bible.

But also throughout my life there were times I cried and cried for God to save me...I prayed the sinners prayer a thousand times but nothing changed. I didn't know what I was doing wrong. While I don't like lying..never have as it physically hurts my brain (my conscious) for me to lie..that wasn't an issue in my life. I also didn't steal..there was alot of things I didn't do but alot of bad things I did as I have already mentioned. My lifestyle sin was lust. I thought sex equaled love. This is what the world tells us! Its not love with out the sex..the sex without the love.

Anyway to make a long story short, I got mixed up with a really bad guy.(actually I had repeatably gotten mixed up with really bad guys, but he was the worse)..I was too ignorant of alcoholics/drug users and the cons they use..the lies they tell...and instead fell for the charm. And I was 'in love' which to me meant everything would work out because the 'world' tells us love fixes everything..solves all problems ...:rolleyes: What a lie that was! But since I was living by what the world said and not the bible..I couldn't barely understand much of the bible because I was what it calls, spiritual blind to it. :( Though of course I didn't know that.

A little background: I was raised going to church and was baptized at age 10. At age 11 my dad was killed in a car accident. I can't even express the grief my whole family was going through. My mother, my two younger sister. I loved my dad and was more attached to him then I was my mom. My whole world died when he did. He was very involved in my life and my sisters. Coached my softball team..took me fishing and hunting. All kinds of fun things dad's do with their kids. I loved him very much. I was so crushed when he died, so lost..I didn't know what to do.

But Jesus sent me the most wonderful dream one night a couple of months after my dad died. My mom had gone into a very deep depression...she wasn't there for us girls because of that. She kept the curtains drawn all the time so the house was always dark and gloomy. We ate whatever church people brought over then when that stopped we ate a billions sliced meat sandwiches because my mom was too depressed to cook. I still can't choke down those even today.

I hid my tears from everyone. Whenever the grief got too bad I would go out in the garage or outside and hold my hand over my mouth as tight as I could and sob. I didn't want her to hear...I wanted to be strong for her. I didn't think she could handle my grief and her own. So I stuffed it as much as I could.

So one night I was dreaming ..I was walking through a dark tunnel with a light at the end. But the end of the tunnel was partially block so the light just shown around the edges of this large object. So I walked to it and when I got to the end of the tunnel I saw a large slab of rock. Like a large stone in front of the tunnel but I was able to get out and walk around it. On the other side I saw it was a throne. I had been seeing the back of it...now I could see the front of it. The throne was covered in the most brilliant and beautiful stones. And Jesus Christ was sitting on the throne. He didn't say anything but sat me on His lap and just held me..to comfort me.

I hung onto the dream even as I fell away from my faith, from the church through the years. We stopped going to church. Dad was the one that always took us. Mom had no strength to keep going. Later when my mom remarried he became a preacher..then their marriage fell apart and it was an ugly divorce. And again we stopped going to church. Off and on I went and tried different churches..I could never forget that dream...I knew without a doubt Jesus was real..I always knew it. But like I said while I believed, I wasn't making Jesus my Lord. The Lord of my life.

Until like I said I got mixed up with a bad guy..terrible things happened as a result . I ended up marrying him. He was abusive, a liar, a cheat, a drunk..would stay out all night ..have black outs. Would cuss at me..say the most horrible hateful things to me. Call me a b..among other things.

And even worse I had a son with him. My son was subjected to his abuses also. :cry:

Time and time again in my life I would manage to mess things up so badly and literally have to start all over again. This time though it wasn't just my life I ruined..I took a little child with me. :cry:

So one day standing in my mom's kitchen ..having to move back home because I left my abusive husband. I realized what a mess I had made of things and took my son with me. I realized I could no longer run my life. Every time I tried too, it ended up a nightmare. So I finally gave up. In disgust with myself I threw the dish towel down and told God I gave up..I couldn't do it anymore..that He could have my life..He could run it because obviously I couldn't. And I walked off. In a real sense I walked off from trying to control my life and doing what I thought was right, because it always turned out wrong.

Everything changed from that moment. I was able to read the bible and understand it! I was no longer spiritual blind. My sinnful sexual desires literally left me. The desire...left. The desires I had were sinnful. God took those away.

Now did that mean I suddenly became perfect? Of course not. In fact later I started having problems with uncontrollable rage over stupid things. I would get way, way too upset! I went to three different therapist..I knew the anger all had to do with my now ex-husband and what I endured with him. I sinned too when I got that angry. I called people bad names when I drove..I over reacted to things neighborhood kids did and yelled at them. I had little patience with my son. When my son started repeating things I said to other drivers in the car...(and he was just a little guy like three years old) I realized I had a problem.

Finally I went to God. None of the therapist were helping..telling me to just forge the past. I couldn't just forget. I had to get it out! So God showed me I had alot of unforgiveness in regards to my ex which was what was causing the fits of rage. So through talking to Him He showed me what I needed to do to work on this. It was hard but He had me write a letter to my ex who was in prison for something else..a violent crime against a young lady. I had to write out all the terrible things he did to my son and I..write out how it affected both of us..the damage it did, but I also had to forgive him. Doesn't mean forget and act like it was all ok. It wasn't ok. It will never be ok. But I was the one that did not listen to God's warnings about him and got involved in him in the first place too. Forgiving myself has been more difficult.

I could give you example after example of things God has shown me were sins in my life..things I didn't know were sins..like this anger. As long as I am in tune to Him He can show me these things and then together we work on them. I AM a work in progress. We all are! God is constantly working on us so we become better and better human beings.

This is 'having a relationship' with God..with Christ..letting the Holy Spirit work in your life. That is what I was talking about doing. I never ever said I would never have a lustful thought again (though its extremely rare)..or say a bad word, or think a bad thought...but I am vastly different then I was way back when. Vastly.

I am now celibate and have been for years. I have remained single since the divorce and just focused on raising my son (but I did get involved with several men after the divorce and was doing the same stupid stuff again..this was before I surrended my life to Him)..I certainly don't get drunk, party like I used too. I don't smoke pot..have done that in the past. I don't take speed, have done that in the past. I certainly don't go to bars then go home with a guy..have done that in the past. Yet once in awhile I do say a cuss word, I still smoke cigarettes though I want badly to quit. I might have a glass of wine once a year for a holiday. I think really bad things about people or myself sometimes and even God once in awhile. I struggle still with the flesh..as Paul says in the bible that is an ongoing battle we all have to deal with. I am a work in progress! But as long as I follow God..listen to His Holy Spirit I know without a doubt, I am saved. I have no worries at all about going to hell.

I have His assurances in that.

Romans 8:38 (New Living Translation)

38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Right now I am going through menopause..and its really, really hard. My emotions can be unstable..I don't always sleep well. My patience is much shorter at times. I am moody. I can suffer physical problems along with major anxiety that literally makes me sick to to my hormones messing up. I am dealing with alot of things I never went through before. I hate it. I struggle at times to control my tongue ..I hate the fact that hormones can affect my feelings so much..it makes me feel out of control. I also hate the fact I am getting older and I look it. I hate looking at myself in the mirror most of the time! I hate seeing what age is doing to my body. I know the verse on all of these related things very well and you will too one day.

But I can tell you if I hadn't surrended my life to God back then I would be one of those middle aged women still going to the bar..the drinking, smoking, partying taking a worse toll on my body. I would probably look much, much older then I am if I continued that lifestyle. I would probably have many STD too by now. I am sure I would have lived with more men..maybe men that would abuse my son. Or me. The cycle I was in would have continued. Or I might even be in prison myself! In the past I have drove so drunk I saw double lines on the roadway.(when I was a teenager/young adult). Maybe I would have killed someone driving drunk. By rights I should have been in jail in the past ..I just didn't get caught! And thank God I didn't hurt anyone. My life would just be truly awful if I didn't have God in it. I am sure my son would be out of control..hanging on the streets by now with other kids in this situation..stay out all the time to avoid home. I am sure he would already be in legal trouble himself...doing all sort of bad things.

This is what I am trying so hard to tell you. He loves you and wants to be there for you. Its not about being perfect or never messing up. Is about loving Him with everything you are. Its about really having a life changing experience that last..the rest of our lives into eternity.

God bless

kdas33
Feb 3rd 2010, 02:31 AM
Excellent post, Moonglow, thank you so much for sharing your testimony!

moonglow
Feb 3rd 2010, 03:35 AM
Excellent post, Moonglow, thank you so much for sharing your testimony!

Thanks..I hope it made sense and now I wish I had left out the menopause stuff cause I was thinking later..what does that have to do with anything...:rolleyes::lol: Oh well..I guess the point was we are all 'just humans'...its God that lifts us up. :)

God bless

HaveMercy
Feb 3rd 2010, 03:59 AM
Moonglow, it's not letting me give you reps (must have already done so on a different post) but I've just got to say that your testimony was incredibly inspiring and moving. I also want to thank you for sharing it.

moonglow
Feb 3rd 2010, 07:41 PM
Moonglow, it's not letting me give you reps (must have already done so on a different post) but I've just got to say that your testimony was incredibly inspiring and moving. I also want to thank you for sharing it.

Well thank you. I have trouble handling compliments very well so I get all flustered and don't know what to say.:blush:

It was such a condensed version I just hope it makes sense. I did want to add a couple of things. First, for those concerned, I do not smoke in the house and have drastically cut down on it anyway. Nor do I smoke in the car for my son's sake. I also realize I am setting a bad example for him too. I am working on that. As I said, I am a work in progress as we all are. As far as my drinking and the man stuff in the past..these were not all the time events by any means. Certainly not a every weekend event either. But still when I look at my past..its like oh my..I can't believe some of the things I did. :blush: I never got hooked on drinking...which I thank God for..and I avoided hard drugs due to seeing a really scary movie on that in 7th grade. ! My ex pretty much cured me of wanting to drink too...seeing someone completely out of control with it and unable to stop just ruined any ideas I had that drinking was fun. (of course God sealed the deal on that one too). I attended some AA groups with him and went to Alon myself which I thought was senseless actually. But anyway I had no problems stopping and because of my ex's drinking Nate would get scared out of his mind if he thought I was drinking..so no alcohol in my house!

Anyway thanks again. I just hope all of this putting on my worse sinnful times in my life is worth it to the OP. I don't usually post the worse of me on here to anyone..I am ashamed of my past but I also realize God does use our testimonies for a reason and we can't testify about Him if we don't air our bad stuff. So I hope this help the OP to understand what I have been trying to say to him.

God bless

Steven3
Feb 4th 2010, 01:45 AM
Hi Scottizzle

I don't think you need to be terrified by someone else's dream: "About 3:00 o'clock in the morning I was taken."

The Bible tells us not to take the word of our own dreams, let alone the dreams of others. And if Bill Wiese (though I'm sure he's 100% sincere and believes his dream) knew his Bible better he'd know tha for a start in the Bible the flame-hell (Gehenna) is future, an eschatological (i.e. Last Day) idea, the grave-hell (Sheol, where Jacob went in Genesis) isn't a fiery place. This stuff is straight out of the middle-ages. So if you want to be de-terrified, go to the Bible and look up what the Bible says. :)
God bless
S.

webhead
Feb 4th 2010, 02:20 AM
This book is pure fiction. No reality to it at all.

Hell = שְׁאוֺל = shĕ'owl = Grave or Pit.

Satan and several Demons are not in Hell torturing people. This idea is based on mythology and fantasy.

kay-gee
Feb 5th 2010, 12:13 AM
Thank you for that Moonglow. I was quite moved by it.

all the best...

ThyWordIsTruth
Feb 6th 2010, 04:54 AM
I'm not sure in some ways... I still sin, I try to repent, sometimes I'll sin the same over again... But so will you, lying, cheating, stealing in some way or another. Do these sins still count as sins or are they truley TRULEY washed away with Jesus as our Lord and savior?

Dear Scottizzle,
It is good to question your salvation. In fact Scripture commands us to test ourselves.

In our current world of easy-believism and many false conversions, it is good to wrestle with this issue. It is better to be sure now, then to wake up on the wrong side of eternity. Whether the book on hell is accurate or not is not important, but we do know Hell is a terrible place to end up for all eternity and if its caused you to search for the truth then I'd say its done its job.

So do not stop asking and asking till you're sure of your salvation. You can feel free to PM me any time and we can talk and take however long it takes for you to be sure.

On your question on sin,

Will believers ever sin?
Ans: Yes
1Jn 1:8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1Jn 1:10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Will truly regenerate believers live as slaves to sin and have a consistent pattern of sinning throughout their lives?
Ans: No.
1Jn 3:4 Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.
1Jn 3:6 No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him.
1Jn 3:7 Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous.
1Jn 3:8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.
1Jn 3:9 No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.
1Jn 3:10 By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.

Joh 8:34 Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin.
Joh 8:35 The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever.
Joh 8:36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

- Jesus clearly tells us that a believer cannot continue in a pattern of sinful living if he truly had the Son of God in his life.

How can I be sure of my salvation?
Here's a very good article you can use to test yourself. It is Scriptural and very easy to read and understand.

http://lifecypha.wordpress.com/2009/09/15/the-marks-of-saving-faith-pt-1-john-macarthur/
http://lifecypha.wordpress.com/2009/09/16/the-marks-of-saving-faith-part-2-john-macarthur/

I would strongly encourage you to watch these videos in sequence:

Few will find it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkLLOH7qXPg&feature=channel

The Problem with the "Modern Gospel"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSjXnbOWgQ0

The Glory of God
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzR_LvCQ2CM

Are you Saved?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvcdJ56ycqQ&feature=related

The True Gospel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7X24_vOWwU

The Bible gives us the tests of whether we're saved or not in the epistles of John (1 John, 2 John, 3 John). Read through them carefully and test yourself on each of them.

I would strongly encourage you to search out all the Paul Washer sermons on youtube and watch them. I personally found them very helpful.

ThyWordIsTruth
Feb 6th 2010, 05:27 AM

Hi,
I think I understand how you feel. It's hard to believe that we will have freedom from the sin to which we're bound to in slavery, but I can tell you as a sinner myself with many sins that bound me that I've been completely set free. And these were sins that bound me for many many years (more than 10) and were not easy to turn away from, smoking, sexual sins, anger, etc. but I testify that the power of God will set us free, and his Word is true and his promises are true, and they will set you free as well.

How will we be set free from sin?
1) I think the first step is regeneration, or what we call being born again. My situation was that I had been a "Christian" for 15 over years but had never been born again. I did not really understand what the Gospel was or had it preached accurately to me before. This is why I think watching those videos I posted is important. There were many aspects of my life that were reformed, but I was not regenerated. I had lots of secret sins that only I knew and I saw no hope of ever being free from them. I'd try very hard on my own strength, but it was useless.

Until I was born again and then understood the promises of God regarding freedom from the slavery of sin that I got victory. I still struggle and will continue to struggle as long as I live, but I have progressed a long way since.

Download this free software and read the Bible daily. Download the commentaries which will help you greatly in understanding what the Bible means. I recommend the Barnes and Matthew Henry commentaries. Read through book by book, chapter by chapter and verse by verse, starting in the NT first.

www.e-sword.net (http://bibleforums.org/www.e-sword.net)

2) Jesus teaches us the sequence for believers to be set free in the Beatitudes.
Mat 5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

- the first step is in realizing that you're a hopeless sinner. We're all hopeless sinners, complete wretched sinners that cannot have any hope of saving ourselves. This is what is meant by being poor in spirit. We're humbled by our own depravity and wickedness, and can only look to God for mercy and save us. This is the first step. And to such Jesus promises the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 5:4 "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

- the next step in our path to holiness is to mourn over our sins. When we sin, we realize our disobedience to God. Our sorrow comes about because we want to please God, so that we can be Holy and obedient to him and please him (not because we want to be self-righteous). We know our sins displease God and because we love him, we mourn over our sins. We cry out in prayer and repentance to God to rescue us and save us.

What did Jesus promise? Those who mourn, will be comforted. Meaning you are forgiven if your heart is truly repentant. Meaning you desire to turn as far away from your sins as you can and do them no more.

Mat 5:5 "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

- what will be the result of the above 2 things, knowing we're sinners, and mourning over our sins? It makes us meek. This is why it is impossible for true believers to be self-righteous, because true believers know their true state of depravity without God.

Mat 5:6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

- Herein lies the glorious promise. Jesus promises that if we hunger and thirst after righteousness (our own righteousness and holiness, not other people's) we will be satisfied. This is his promise that we can all hang onto. If we consistently mourn over our sins and hunger to be righteous, Jesus promises that we will eventually be satisfied, meaning we will be set free from the dominion of sin.

What are the practical steps to freedom from sin?
1) We study God's word with understanding and abide in them. We keep them in our hearts and our minds, and everyday we fill our minds with God's words and teachings.

If we continue doing this we will know the truth about God's teachings and on the equipment God had granted us and this knowledge will set us free from sin.

Jesus promises all born again believers that they will be set free from sin.

Joh 8:31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples,
Joh 8:32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
Joh 8:34 Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin.
Joh 8:35 The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever.
Joh 8:36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

2) We do everything we can to remove all things that cause us to sin. We will do this drastically and it will cost us, but our soul is more precious.

Mat 5:29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.
Mat 5:30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.

- consider how precious the eye and the hand is. Jesus isn't literally asking us to mutilate ourselves. But he is saying do whatever you need to do and take drastic measures if necessary to eliminate the causes of sin.

I don't know your particular area of weakness, so unless you are comfortable sharing with me in a PM perhaps I could give you some advice. For me my area of weakness was sexual sin. So I identified the things that gave cause to thoughts in my mind, that led to sin. I recognized that the TV was the main cause with the images coming through causing me to have thoughts in my mind. So I made the drastic decision to not watch TV, or restrict myself to certain channels only (e.g. Discovery auto, Nat Geo, Discovery Channel) that will not have a chance of streaming images that might tempt me. And I unsubscribed and blocked certain channels like MTV etc.

So every time I fall into sin, I examine how the thoughts started. Then I remove the source from my life if possible.

Our thought life is also important. Sin starts from the mind. So control your mind and if your thoughts start to drift off into sinful places, arrest it right away and think right things. Scripture tells us our sins begin with our desires, and our desires most often are affected by what we see, hear and think. So be watchful of what you see, hear or think.

Jas 1:14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.
Jas 1:15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

Here is a sermon (6 parts) that has helped me tremendously in this area. It teaches us just how drastic other godly men are in tackling their areas of sin. The other 5 parts can be accessed from the sidebar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUX10Mp5PzM

3) We put on the armor that God gave us
Our struggle is not with flesh and blood, but there is a real war going on in the spiritual realm for our souls that is invisible and unknown to us. God tells us to put on our armour so as to stand against the attacks of the enemy.

Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.
Eph 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
Eph 6:13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.
Eph 6:14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
Eph 6:15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace.
Eph 6:16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one;
Eph 6:17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God,
Eph 6:18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,

Here's a good resource for studying more about this armor.
http://www.gty.org/Resources/Bible+Book+Studies/7162_Ephesians-Vol-06

4) Most importantly, pray

Pray daily. Know that your victory from sin will not come from your own strength (although you're commanded to strive and to struggle and to try as hard as you can) but from God. However this doesn't mean that we sit around and do nothing and hope that God will somehow save us. He won't until we respond in obedience and do our best, and he takes it from there.

So what we need to do is to have faith. That is to believe the promises of God, that if he had promised that he will set us free from sin, he will be able to do it. Nothing is impossible for God and I testify to you that its true.

Pray and ask God everyday for his power to deliever you from sin. Pray that God will lead you away from situations and people that might cause temptation. You yourself have to be obedient and not go there if you know it is wrong. Pray and tell God your desire to be set free from the sin that binds you. Cry out to him to save you by his mighty power. Then trust that he hears your prayer and will honour your prayers as you live in obedience to his word.

If there's anything else I can help, feel free to let me know.

ThyWordIsTruth
Feb 6th 2010, 06:50 AM
Hi Scott,
Here's another good video that I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky8dTyPpiAo

gringo300
Feb 8th 2010, 04:27 PM
I've read parts of this book.

I've been trying to do a lot of research on Hell and the Lake Of Fire lately. I've heard many people claim they aren't the same place.

Clearly, the purpose of these places is JUSTICE. I don't think a person would be sent to these places if they didn't 100% deserve it.

The problem is, everybody 100% deserves it.

However, a way has been provided where people can avoid what they 100% deserve.

I'm still not sure of the Scriptural accuracy of this book...

moonglow
Feb 9th 2010, 04:25 PM
I've read parts of this book.

I've been trying to do a lot of research on Hell and the Lake Of Fire lately. I've heard many people claim they aren't the same place.

Clearly, the purpose of these places is JUSTICE. I don't think a person would be sent to these places if they didn't 100% deserve it.

The problem is, everybody 100% deserves it.

However, a way has been provided where people can avoid what they 100% deserve.

I'm still not sure of the Scriptural accuracy of this book...

The scripture he uses, he uses out of content to make them fix what he saw...which is how cults get started btw..taking scripture out of content to force it to their viewpoint.

God bless

A820djd
Feb 10th 2010, 08:34 PM
thanks for the responses guys/gals it helps in my quest called life.