PDA

View Full Version : What is Grace?

Freek
Feb 17th 2010, 07:21 PM
May I ask something else. What is grace? Charis in the Greek. The Afrikaans Bible translates it with mercy which I don't think is correct and for mercy they use an old word "barmhartigheid". To explain it's meaning to you guys, it's the word they use to describe the good samaritan. I have never heard that word used outside of church services, therefore I cannot translate it into English to get the gist of it. The dictionary might define it, but can someone explain it in a way that I can grasp it. For example I know what hurt is. I can form a picture of hurt in my mind, but grace??

mattquarterstein
Feb 17th 2010, 07:37 PM
Well the "grace to you and peace" from the Father and Jesus Christ could be imparted by the Holy Spirit...

markedward
Feb 17th 2010, 07:52 PM
May I ask something else. What is grace?
Grace = Patience; Mercy; Kindness

notuptome
Feb 17th 2010, 08:03 PM
Grace is oft explained as unmerited favor.

Grace

G-Gods
R-riches
A-at
C-Christs
E-expense

Grace is the means by which Jehovah God imparts the righteousness of His Son Jesus Christ to man. For he made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him. 2 Cor 5:21

For the cause of Christ
Roger

markedward
Feb 17th 2010, 08:07 PM
The definition of "grace" is besides the point, however.

Stay on track with my question in the OP.

Freek
Feb 17th 2010, 08:24 PM
Grace = Patience; Mercy; Kindness

It's not correct, but let's stay with the OP.

Ta-An
Feb 19th 2010, 09:28 AM
Freek, Grace is what we receive for what we don't deserve
Mercy is when we don't receive that what we do deserve

Radagast
Feb 19th 2010, 12:49 PM
May I ask something else. What is grace? Charis in the Greek. The Afrikaans Bible translates it with mercy which I don't think is correct and for mercy they use an old word "barmhartigheid". To explain it's meaning to you guys, it's the word they use to describe the good samaritan. I have never heard that word used outside of church services, therefore I cannot translate it into English to get the gist of it. The dictionary might define it, but can someone explain it in a way that I can grasp it. For example I know what hurt is. I can form a picture of hurt in my mind, but grace??

Grace (Charis, Strong's 5485 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?strongs=G5485)) has been described as "good will, loving-kindness, undeserved favour." In Afrikaans, genade:

Philemon 1:3 (Greek): χάρις ὑμῖν καὶ εἰρήνη ἀπὸ θεοῦ πατρὸς ἡμῶν καὶ κυρίου Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ.

Philemon 1:3 (New International Version): Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Filemon 1:3 (Die Bybel, 1983 vertaling): Genade en vrede vir julle van God ons Vader en die Here Jesus Christus!

Filemon 1:3 (Die Bybel, 1953 vertaling): Genade vir julle en vrede van God onse Vader en die Here Jesus Christus!

Mercy (Eleos, Strongs 1656 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G1656)) is the word that appears in "Kyrie Eleison" ("Lord, have mercy"). It has been described as "kindness or good will towards the miserable and the afflicted, joined with a desire to help them."

In Afrikaans, barm-hartigheid, meaning tender-heartedness (from "erbarm" = "have pity on" and "hart" = "heart"):

Ephesians 2:4 (Greek): ὁ δὲ θεὸς πλούσιος ὢν ἐν ἐλέει, διὰ τὴν πολλὴν ἀγάπην αὐτοῦ ἣν ἠγάπησεν ἡμᾶς ...

Ephesians 2:4 (English Standard Version): But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us...

Efesiers 2:4 (Die Bybel, 1983 vertaling): Maar God is ryk in barmhartigheid en het ons innig lief...

Efesiers 2:4 (Die Bybel, 1953 vertaling): Maar God, wat ryk is in barmhartigheid, het ons deur sy grote liefde waarmee Hy ons liefgehad het...

I must say, that is a lovely word, and it's a pity nobody ever explained it to you.