PDA

View Full Version : Need help with the bible.

Freek
Feb 22nd 2010, 07:33 PM
How can I be so sure about the Bible? Please help me!!!

Reynolds357
Feb 22nd 2010, 07:42 PM
Elaborate on what you are unsure of.

Freek
Feb 22nd 2010, 07:50 PM
Elaborate on what you are unsure of.

First , I did not start this thread. It was started by a moderator. How can you be so sure of what a particular scripture means in it's fullness? Or don't you care and take the first interpretation that comes to mind and build a doctrine on it? I study something for days and still don't get the real meaning. Why is that?

MaryFreeman
Feb 22nd 2010, 07:56 PM

What about the bible are you unsure of? I ask because it will help me provide the help you are looking for....

MaryFreeman
Feb 22nd 2010, 08:01 PM
First , I did not start this thread. It was started by a moderator. How can you be so sure of what a particular scripture means in it's fullness? Who wrote the bible? More to the point.... Who ordained the words written and called them His own? If I wrote a book.... And you did not understand something that I said.... Who would you ask for clarification from?
Or don't you care and take the first interpretation that comes to mind and build a doctrine on it? You should ask the Author what HIS interpretation is.... And then build a doctrine based on His answer....
I study something for days and still don't get the real meaning. Why is that?Did you ask the Author what He means? If so.... Stop worrying.... The answer is there.... And He will lead you to it.... Keep praying Freek.... That is all you must do....

Freek
Feb 22nd 2010, 08:15 PM
You should ask the Author what HIS interpretation is.... And then build a doctrine based on His answer....

OK so all the different doctrines that I see here, means that the people have either not asked the Author or they did not hear Him clearly?? :help:

-SEEKING-
Feb 22nd 2010, 08:24 PM
I would suggest that instead of worrying about the different doctrines you see here, as you say, just focus on God's word and read it and pray and ask God to reveal it to you. And He will. He did not give us His word so we would not understand it. He will help you understand.

Butch5
Feb 22nd 2010, 09:51 PM
First , I did not start this thread. It was started by a moderator. How can you be so sure of what a particular scripture means in it's fullness? Or don't you care and take the first interpretation that comes to mind and build a doctrine on it? I study something for days and still don't get the real meaning. Why is that?

What method of interpretation do you usse? Do you have set method?

Reynolds357
Feb 22nd 2010, 09:55 PM
You did not start the thread? I must be missing something. Post number 1 is yours. In the main page it says "Started fy Freek."

I study things for years. Every time I study them again, I gain more insight than I had the last time. Bible knowledge is built line upon line and precept upon precept.

newinchrist4now
Feb 22nd 2010, 09:56 PM

Maybe your trying to hard to find a meaning.

Steven3
Feb 23rd 2010, 03:57 AM
Hi Freek
I study something for days and still don't get the real meaning. Why is that?Leaping headfirst into 66 ancient books from 2,000BC to 70AD written by people in strange distant cultures isn't going to be a doddle :) You'd find ancient Mesopotamian, Greek, Roman or Egyptian books just as difficult.

But if you're having trouble even when something like Mark, then it could be that you're not studying efficiently. Do you feel that way when studying other (secular) books?

Here's a checklist:
1. - pray before reading, ask God for help.
2. - use any good modern version. Not KJV yet.
3. - read the whole book/letter through once to get the general feel before zeroing in on any difficult bit
4. - invest $15 in a concordance
5. - when you hit a problem ask two or three people.
6. - don't expect to understand every detail (even Peter said he found some of the things in Paul's letters difficult).
7. - read George Orwell's Animal Farm. (I'm 100% serious: I'd strongly recommend that as just about the only example of allegory in English literature. Allegory is a big problem for new Bible readers, because we Anglo-Saxons can't do allegory, we don't use that corner of the brain. Most of the questions/problems Christians have with reading are because of this and other reading skills needed for ancient Jewish literature aren't in our toolkit).

MaryFreeman
Feb 23rd 2010, 08:48 AM
OK so all the different doctrines that I see here, means that the people have either not asked the Author or they did not hear Him clearly?? :help:

I have no clue....

Personally I believe Paul when he states there is only one church.... One body.... One Christ.... And one doctrine....

That doctrine being the entirety of the bible.....

Yet the only interpretation (doctrine) you should seek is the interpretation of the Author.... Which is what the Holy Spirit (God the Spirit).... Is ready to provide you....

Just pray my friend....

And keep right on reading....

Precept upon precept....

Word by word....

Line by line....

You'll get it.....

Crosstalk
Feb 23rd 2010, 10:05 PM
Here's a good Bible help where you can enter a verse and it gives many translations of the verse along with some commentary and cross references:

For instance here is Gal. 5:4: http://bible.cc/galatians/5-4.htm

Just enter the verse you want to look up in "Bible Search and Lookup" at the top of the page.

This also has many resources:

http://biblos.com/