PDA

View Full Version : As Christians, what exactly is our responsibility?

BruceG
Feb 25th 2010, 02:36 PM
If the question is put forth to one hundred Christians as to what exactly our reponsibility is as a child of God, we will most likely get 100 different answers. Do good. Go to church. Read your Bible. Pray. Tithe.

But here is the common thread for all of us as children of God. We must all realize that for every single one of us, we will each individually one day be held accountable as to whether we fully walked in what light we have been given, and continued seeking for more light. God will not be asking us what denomination we were a part of or what was the extent of the knowledge we had on Bible mysteries, and if we answer correctly we are handed a free pass. He will be examining the thoughts and intents of our hearts.

We must all understand that it will not be acceptable to say "well, I knew my church had the truth so I just listened to what I was told and faithfully attended."

Nor will it be acceptable to say "But Lord, I had full understanding of the Godhead, and nailed it on my conclusions as to tongues and the rapture and the nature of Hell!" God expects us to be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving our own selves. God expects us to walk in the light we have thus far been given, and seek MORE.

Nor is it not an option for any of us to plead ignorance of certain truths if, in fact, through sheer neglect of so great a salvation, or because we became enchanted with worldy pleasures rather than with the kingdom to come, our Christian walk simply became our "religion" that comforted us but caused no holy fruit to be produced.

Jesus has told us that if our eye is single towards Him, our whole body will be ful of light. But if our eye is "evil", as we try to serve two gods, great darkness and deception awaits us.

I was reading Phillipians today and this is what the apostle Paul said to us as to His walk....

"Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."
Phillipians 3:13-14

Was this just his calling from God because he was an apostle? Paul lays that arguement to rest with his words that immediately follow:

"Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample."
Phillipians 3:17

Brothers and sisters in the Lord, this man HAD seen and talked to Jesus face to face. This man HAD been taken up to the third heaven. And still he pressed! Peter echoed this sentiment, urging us:

"Seeing that all these things are about to be dissolved, what manner of men ought we to be in all holiness and chaste conversation!"
2Peter 3:11

Better a man with a basic knowledge of salvation who walks in it to the best of his understanding, pressing for more light, than a man who has keys to all the truth, or belongs to the "right" church, but never unlocks many rooms in his heart to allow the light of God's love to shine in and change him more and more into the image of the Son.

This is an extremely important topic. How God's body needs to hear the message that He has for all of us. PRESS! WITH OUR WHOLE HEARTS! Walk in the light you know to be true,and seek MORE!

Shall we rest with correct doctrine in our heads, or understanding all mysteries, or be a member in good standing of "God's true church". Is our journey over and now we just sit down and wait to be taken to heaven? No. A thousand times, no. Satan will pull out all stops to lie to our own hearts and say this is simply extremism, but deep down, if God is indeed in us, we know what our God has clearly asked of us is truth, even if right now we do not much like it.

Let us remember, "God IS a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." None will ever have one regret if they truly seek the light of walking in Him.

In Him, Bruce

Firefighter
Feb 25th 2010, 02:46 PM
Love God and love our neighbors as we love ourselves. That pretty much sums it up. ;)

HisLeast
Feb 25th 2010, 02:55 PM
This is an extremely important topic. How God's body needs to hear the message that He has for all of us. PRESS! WITH OUR WHOLE HEARTS! Walk in the light you know to be true,and seek MORE!

If only the church actually tolerated seeking.

bc3n1
Feb 25th 2010, 03:00 PM
Seeking takes you through humility.

moonglow
Feb 25th 2010, 03:27 PM
I can't say I fully understood your post very well BruceG but I will answer your question:

As Christians, what exactly is our responsibility?

As Jesus said, love each other as I have loved you..love the Lord with all your heart, mind, body and strength..these are number one actually.

I agree going to church doesn't save anyone..nor reading their bibles nor doing just the expected things. While we ARE saved..I have no doubt about that....we will be held accountable as you said for what we did with our lives and the gifts God gave us.

So with that in mind, I think its our responsibility to use the gifts the Holy Spirit has given us in whatever direction the Lord decides. I think to neglect that is a very serious error indeed.

God bless

Clydson
Feb 25th 2010, 06:08 PM

Eccl 12:13
13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
KJV

Sinners and unbelievers also have the same duty as Christians do, for all men will be judged by the same Judge.

Freek
Feb 25th 2010, 08:04 PM
If the question is put forth to one hundred Christians as to what exactly our reponsibility is as a child of God, we will most likely get 100 different answers. Do good. Go to church. Read your Bible. Pray. Tithe.

But here is the common thread for all of us as children of God. We must all realize that for every single one of us, we will each individually one day be held accountable as to whether we fully walked in what light we have been given, and continued seeking for more light. God will not be asking us what denomination we were a part of or what was the extent of the knowledge we had on Bible mysteries, and if we answer correctly we are handed a free pass. He will be examining the thoughts and intents of our hearts.

Bruce, do you want to open a can of worms?? :D

goykodesh
Feb 25th 2010, 08:13 PM
answer to the op -

Love.

newinchrist4now
Feb 25th 2010, 09:19 PM

I like what the Baltimore Catechism says:

6. Q. Why did God make you? A. God made me to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him forever in the next.

Source (http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/14552/pg14552.html)

markedward
Feb 25th 2010, 10:14 PM
Preach the gospel. The followers of Christ are to spread the gospel to the peoples of the world who do not know or do not follow God. The basic message of the gospel is: God was manifested in flesh, the Son of God, Jesus. He lived righteously. He was crucified for our sins, and died. He was buried. He was resurrected on the third day, to justify us before God. He ascended to heaven, exalted by God, and was given all authority. Believing in this gospel with a true faith restores and individual's relationship with God, and they are given the right to everlasting life.
Edify the Church. The followers of Christ are to uplift each other in spirit and love. Those who consistently and repeatedly drag down the Church (whether by false doctrine, false prophecy, or otherwise sinful actions or words) are to be cut off from fellowship until they repent. Those within the Church are to be built up by the fellowship, by sound doctrine, and by worshiping God in unity.
Compel social justice. The followers of Christ are to seek for a universal benevolence. The includes, on its basic levels, working to aid the poor, the sick, the needy, the orphaned, the widowed, to do good to all peoples and living things, and to be stewards of the environment. Conversely, this means for the rich to forsake their wealth (of their own volition) for the purpose of helping others, and to put an end to matters that inhibit social justice.

Quickened
Feb 25th 2010, 10:23 PM
I will answer the question as it is stated within the title.

1. Fellowship with the Lord. This would include praying, studying scripture, etc. To build ourselves up so we are prepared in season and out of season (ideally)
2. Share our faith with others. The Lord is the one who stirs the hearts towards conversion. What i say today might have an immediate effect. What i say today might have a delayed effect. The goal is to plant the seed. Not just verbally. But also through actions. Speak Christ, Live Christ.
3. Deciple new converts.

This is a small ideal breakdown. Though it is very dependant on our personal growth. How can we deciple if we are still babes? We should seek growth personally.

BruceG
Feb 25th 2010, 10:33 PM
Love God and love our neighbors as we love ourselves. That pretty much sums it up. ;)

LOL, I will agree. Now how? Read what you just wrote. It does not say "Try to love..." but "love".

Until our hearts break for our hearts being content without walking in this place, we will not find we we need.

goykodesh
Feb 26th 2010, 12:09 AM
It does not say "Try to love..." but "love".

Yep. The Bible instructs us that love is actionable; it doesn't matter how we may 'feel' about it.

Frecs
Feb 27th 2010, 04:00 AM
Love is what marks us as Christians. (Jhn 13:35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.") It's not so much that we should use love as a verb so much as an adjective--it describes who we ARE not what we DO.

Jesus didn't give much of list of "to do's"...certainly nothing like the OT commandments. He did take for granted that His followers would do three things: give, pray, and fast (Matthew chapter 6).

Jesus gave one other instruction: GO. Share the Gospel. (Mar 16:15 He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.)

Firefighter
Feb 27th 2010, 03:47 PM
LOL, I will agree. Now how? Read what you just wrote. It does not say "Try to love..." but "love".

The Bible also tells us that "love" is a fruit of the Spirit. The only thing we have to do is to get ourselves (flesh) out of the way long enough for the Holy Spirit to do His thing. He will show us how to love.

MaryFreeman
Feb 28th 2010, 06:24 PM
WHAT IS OUR RESPONSIBILITY....

Towards ourselves and the body of Christ:

Love.... Actionable love.... We are to build up.... Edify.... Bear one anothers burdens.... Laugh with each other.... Cry with each other.... And so on....

Towards the world at large:

GO! PREACH! LOVE!

Love Fountain
Feb 28th 2010, 08:32 PM
Psa 22:30 A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.

A Christian is a servant of God and shall serve Him.

Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

6:8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

6:19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

6:20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.

6:21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Bless you,
Love Fountain

Servant89
Mar 1st 2010, 12:48 AM
The # 1 responsibility for Christians is to seek first what Jesus said should be our # 1 priority...

Seek ye first the kingdom of God and its righteousness and everything else shall be added unto you. In the "our father" prayer, "thy kingdom come" is # 1 on the list of petitions.

If we do that one well (actually living in the kingdom), we do not have to worry about the rest.

The kingdom is the power of the HS. Got power? Get some or get more. That is the main thing for Christians.

Shalom

Firefighter
Mar 1st 2010, 10:42 PM
You make it sound as if the Holy Spirit is nothing more than a battery or a common power source...

Servant89
Mar 1st 2010, 11:39 PM
You make it sound as if the Holy Spirit is nothing more than a battery or a common power source...

Good point, I stand corrected.

But God did not say seek ye first the first person of the trinity because once we have the HS he will not leave us nor forsake us, we are sealed until the day of redemption. But Jesus did say to seek first the kingdom and 1Cor 4:20 states that the Kingdom of God is not in word but in power. Acts 1:6-8 describes the disciples asking about the kingdom and the answer from Jesus was: "Ye shall receive power when the HS comes upon you". Jesus also said that if there is demonstration of the HS power ... that's the kingdom.

Mt 12:28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

Shalom

Firefighter
Mar 2nd 2010, 12:49 PM
I don't know if you can get there from here... The Kingdom of God is not "the power of the Holy Spirit", but so much more. Further, when using multiple scriptures to form your theology concerning "power" you need to know that there are at least four Greek words translated as "power" in the NT, all with different meanings.

BruceG
Mar 2nd 2010, 03:09 PM

I just wanted to clarify your answer, for it is a great one. We are to love God with ALL our hearts, ALL our minds, ALL our souls and ALL our strength and love our neightbors as we love ourselves.

Now I ask all....are we? And if not, are we pressing in order to do so or has it become just a nice unattainable thought in our heads?

BruceG
Mar 2nd 2010, 03:12 PM
The # 1 responsibility for Christians is to seek first what Jesus said should be our # 1 priority...

Seek ye first the kingdom of God and its righteousness and everything else shall be added unto you. In the "our father" prayer, "thy kingdom come" is # 1 on the list of petitions.

If we do that one well (actually living in the kingdom), we do not have to worry about the rest.

The kingdom is the power of the HS. Got power? Get some or get more. That is the main thing for Christians.

Shalom

I am not disagreeing. I am curious...power to do what?

Bruce

Servant89
Mar 2nd 2010, 10:41 PM
I am not disagreeing. I am curious...power to do what?

Bruce

Holy Ghost power, to do his will, cast demons, heal the sick, overcome the enemy, bear witness to the truth, speak the word of God with boldness, walk without the fear of man, preach the full gospel, pray more effectively, understand the Bible better, bear fruit (and lots of it), power to do good, power to mortify the deeds of the flesh, and so forth.

Shalom

Servant89
Mar 2nd 2010, 10:43 PM
I don't know if you can get there from here... The Kingdom of God is not "the power of the Holy Spirit", but so much more. Further, when using multiple scriptures to form your theology concerning "power" you need to know that there are at least four Greek words translated as "power" in the NT, all with different meanings.

Thank you for the education. God bless you.

Shalom

The Mighty Sword
Mar 2nd 2010, 11:01 PM

The Great Commission
Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Commission:
The act of committing or giving in charge.
An authoritative order, charge, or direction.
Authority granted for a particular action or function.
A document granting such authority.
The power thus granted.
The position or rank of an officer in any of the armed forces.
A group of persons authoritatively charged with particular functions:
The condition of being placed under special authoritative responsibility or charge.
A task or matter committed to one's charge; official assignment:

Teach:
To impart knowledge of or skill in; give instruction in:
To impart knowledge or skill to; give instruction to:

If we are not teaching the Gospel of Christ, we are not Christians because is our duty to teach what we have learned. As "Christians" it's not an option.

theBelovedDisciple
Mar 2nd 2010, 11:21 PM

The Kingdom of God is 'demonstrated' and manifested in the Power of the Holy Ghost...

Jesus is the Kingdom of God.. He represented it when He was Here.. He was the Full Representation and Manifestation ....... in Full Power...

but some called the demonstration and manifestation of the Kingdom and its Power..

the work of Satan.. the work of the Devil...

the Kingdom of Heaven is Demonstrated and Manifested IN the Power of the Holy Ghost....

no other way around it..

Firefighter
Mar 3rd 2010, 12:40 AM
Scriptures please...

Servant89
Mar 4th 2010, 06:39 PM
Take the parable of the virgins (Mat 25:1-13)

They had these in common: They both had lamps (thy word is a lamp to my feet), they both were waiting for the Lord, they both had oil with their lamps (John 6:63) and they both (wise and foolish) slumbered and slept.

This is what made the difference between a wise virgin and a foolish one. .. the attitude towards the oil. The foolish said: Oh, I have oil, I do not have to get more (sounds like many denominations today). The oil speaks of anointing, oil is liquid power, oil represents the HS.

Seek ye first the kingdom, the kingdom is not in word, it is in power (1Cor 4:20).

The phrase "All else shall be added unto you" means, that if you are full of HS power, you do not need to work on your praise, or your fruit, you do not need to work on loving people, or anything else, all will come out from you the way it is supposed to come out, but supernaturally.

Shalom

Servant89
Mar 4th 2010, 10:23 PM

The Great Commission
Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Commission:
The act of committing or giving in charge.
An authoritative order, charge, or direction.
Authority granted for a particular action or function.
A document granting such authority.
The power thus granted.
The position or rank of an officer in any of the armed forces.
A group of persons authoritatively charged with particular functions:
The condition of being placed under special authoritative responsibility or charge.
A task or matter committed to one's charge; official assignment:

Teach:
To impart knowledge of or skill in; give instruction in:
To impart knowledge or skill to; give instruction to:

If we are not teaching the Gospel of Christ, we are not Christians because is our duty to teach what we have learned. As "Christians" it's not an option.

Jesus told the apostles not to do that until they were filled with HS power first (Acts 1:4-8). Back to my point.

A person full of the HS power does not need to be told to preach or teach the gospel.

Shalom

BruceG
Mar 5th 2010, 03:39 AM
Bruce, do you want to open a can of worms?? :D

It seems the worms, they are a wriggling! LOL

BruceG
Mar 5th 2010, 03:45 AM
Take the parable of the virgins (Mat 25:1-13)

They had these in common: They both had lamps (thy word is a lamp to my feet), they both were waiting for the Lord, they both had oil with their lamps (John 6:63) and they both (wise and foolish) slumbered and slept.

This is what made the difference between a wise virgin and a foolish one. .. the attitude towards the oil. The foolish said: Oh, I have oil, I do not have to get more (sounds like many denominations today). The oil speaks of anointing, oil is liquid power, oil represents the HS.

Seek ye first the kingdom, the kingdom is not in word, it is in power (1Cor 4:20).

The phrase "All else shall be added unto you" means, that if you are full of HS power, you do not need to work on your praise, or your fruit, you do not need to work on loving people, or anything else, all will come out from you the way it is supposed to come out, but supernaturally.

Shalom
Actually, the foolish ones had no oil. (Matt 25:3)

Servant89
Mar 6th 2010, 12:31 AM
Actually, the foolish ones had no oil. (Matt 25:3)

I am not saying you are wrong, I am saying this is how I see it... the foolish ones had oil inside their lamps because their lamps were lit for a while as verse 8 suggest. Verse 4 indicates that the wise took oil in their vessels (put them inside their vessels, their bodies) besides having oil in their lamps (John 6:63), i.e., his words are spirit and they are life. That means, when people carry Bibles, the author, the HS talks to people while they read the word (John 6:63), that is why there is oil in the lamps (thy word is a lamp to my feet). But some people want nothing to do wtih the baptism of the HS, they do not think they need more oil.

Verse one says this subject here is the kingdom of God which is not in word but in power (1Cor 4:20)

Mt 25:1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
Mt 25:2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
Mt 25:3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them (not in their vessels):
Mt 25:4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
Mt 25:8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.

Their lamps had light for a while, but their oil ran out. There is a hint there, somewhere.

Shalom

Kudo Shinichi
Mar 8th 2010, 05:04 PM
1 Chronicles 29:15
We are aliens and strangers in your sight, as were all our forefathers. Our days on earth are like a shadow, without hope.
Psalm 119:19
I am a stranger on earth; do not hide your commands from me.
Matthew 28:18-20
18 Jesus came and told his disciples, "I have been given complete authority in heaven and on earth. 19 Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
Hebrews 11:13-16
13All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. 14People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. 15If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 16Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.
Galations 5:14
14For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”c
1 CORINTHIANS 12:12,14,17-27
ROMANS 12:4-8
For pastors 1 Timothy & 2 Timothy.
We should recognize other parts of the Body of Christ and not criticize them. God has not given to any of us full and complete understanding of everything. Because we do not know what God has called others to do, we cannot judge whether they are being faithful to do God's will.

We should assist, encourage, bless, and pray for other members of the Body -- just as we would members of our physical body. As the Body of Christ we must remember HIM for what HE had done on the Cross for our sins and HIS promise that HE will come back for us when every time we drink the cup and eat the bread.
http://www.hccentral.com/gkeys/body.html
http://www.believers.org/believe/bel193.htm
http://www.allaboutgod.com/body-of-christ.htm
http://www.gotquestions.org/body-of-Christ.html
http://www.mennolink.org/doc/cof/art.12.html
http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/lords-supper-faq.htm