PDA

View Full Version : A Closer Look At Genesis

Kahtar
Feb 25th 2010, 04:13 PM
This thread is not for the discussion of the scientific or archeological aspects of Genesis. There are a hundred other threads with that topic and another is not needed.

This thread is for the discussion of the spiritual aspects of Genesis, that which we can learn and apply to our own lives. Scripture tells us that all scripture is able to make one wise, leading one to salvation, and that all scripture is profitable for doctrine, for conviction, for correction, and instruction in righteousness.

And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Timothy 3:15-17 KJV

When Paul wrote his second letter to Timothy, the New Testament did not exist. The scripture Paul was referring to was the Old Testament. The NT can now be included in that statement of course, but not to the exclusion of the OT.

Along with that, we are further told that there are things concerning Christ to be found within the scriptures, beginning at Moses, and further that Moses wrote about Christ.

And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself. Luke 24:27 KJV
For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words? John 5:46-47 KJV

So the focus of this thread will be twofold:
1. How is Christ pictured/foreshadowed/prophesied in this portion of scripture?
2. How does this portion of scripture apply to my life today/what are its spiritual lessons?

In this discussion, it is essential to use scripture to interpret scripture, to view the Bible as a whole, to use the whole Bible to bring out the spiritual truths and doctrines presented. Each truth/doctrine must be supported by, and not contradictory to, the rest of scripture.

As stated in the posting rules of this forum:
The purpose of this forum (and thread) can be summarized best in the words of Paul where, in 1THESS 5:11, he said “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing”. You are encouraged to exercise and share the fruits of the Spirit with others which are love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

Kahtar
Feb 25th 2010, 04:14 PM
Genesis Chapter One
1. How is Christ pictured/foreshadowed/prophesied in this portion of scripture?
2. How does this portion of scripture apply to my life today/what are its spiritual lessons?

HisLeast
Feb 25th 2010, 05:31 PM
One of the great lessons Genesis has shown me is that even the great paragons of the faith made huge mistakes, struggled greatly, and were no strangers to "not getting it".

Kahtar
Feb 25th 2010, 06:39 PM
Would you care to elaborate on that, so the rest of us can benefit?

HisLeast
Feb 25th 2010, 07:15 PM
I'll put some more thought into this tonight, but reading any of the stories in Genesis with special emphasis on the lives and character of the participants will show what I mean.

Take Lot for example. He's more of a side character, but still noted for at least one act of great faith. Taking the angels into his home and protecting them even though the whole town was banging at his door. He had to know there would be repercussions in the morning for not surrendering his guests to the mob. For being righteous, he is spared from the city... only to lose his wife and later get raped by his own daughters.

Moses is raised as an elite in the most affluent nation of the time, becomes a murderer, and trades a life of luxury for that of a desert herdsman. Even though he sees and interacts with God in ways experienced never before or since, he still can't figure out simple stuff. "But... but... I'm not a good talker! Send someone else!"

Through the whole book we see how messy and confusing life is... even if the manifest presence of God is made obvious in miraculous and startling ways.

Crosstalk
Feb 25th 2010, 07:19 PM
Kahtar, you correctly mentioned that we should "...use scripture to interpret scripture, to view the Bible as a whole.....", so I would say that
using the additional light of the NT we can see that Jesus is connected to Gen. 1 in that He was the Creator as is stated in Col. 1:16 and John 1:3.

I don't think that Jesus is prophesied until Gen. 3:15 which is the first prophesy in the Bible.

Kahtar
Feb 25th 2010, 07:34 PM
Through the whole book we see how messy and confusing life is... even if the manifest presence of God is made obvious in miraculous and startling ways.This is a very good start. While you've sort of lumped the entire book together here (which is okay) what you point out is one of the main factors in how this book applies to our lives today, for in it we can see not only ourselves in all our grand weakness and foolishness, but how God deals with us and loves us in spite of it. Thank you. I look forward to more of your imput.

Kahtar, you correctly mentioned that we should "...use scripture to interpret scripture, to view the Bible as a whole.....", so I would say that using the additional light of the NT we can see that Jesus is connected to Gen. 1 in that He was the Creator as is stated in Col. 1:16 and John 1:3.I would go so far as to say that without the additional light of the NT, we would be just as clueless as most were before He came. So, using that additional light I believe is essential to this study.

I don't think that Jesus is prophesied until Gen. 3:15 which is the first prophesy in the Bible. I agree, it is the first prophecy. I think He can be seen in pictures and shadows a good bit before that however.