PDA

View Full Version : Did Adam and Eve have belly buttons?

grit
Feb 25th 2010, 08:19 PM
THE GREAT BELLY BUTTON DEBATE.

OK, so I know the Scriptures don't exactly say, and I know this has historically been a very controversial debate, but what do you think?
You may give your reasons as per your vote if you like.

Vhayes
Feb 25th 2010, 08:21 PM
HOW could this be controversial, gritty? That would be akin to having a church schism over how many angels could dance on the head of a pin.

I would cast a "no" vote because neither Adam nor Eve was attached to a placenta.

John146
Feb 25th 2010, 08:27 PM
I would say no. The reason that people have belly buttons is obviously because that is where the umbilical cord was connected from the mother's placenta to the baby's stomach inside the mother's womb. But Adam and Eve were never in a mother's womb and therefore never had umbilical cords connected to them so it doesn't make sense to me that they would have had belly buttons.

When you say "this has historically been a very controversial debate" you aren't saying that people take this very seriously, do you? I don't see that it really makes a difference whether they had belly buttons or not.

Quickly doing a little research on what others think of this, I found this quote from Ken Ham (President of Answers in Genesis and The Creation Museum):

Lack of a belly-button on Adam and Eve would be one of the biggest tourist attractions in the pre-Flood world, as the grandchildren and the great-grandchildren would come up and say, “Why don't you have a belly-button?” And they could recount again and again, to generation after generation, how God had created them special by completed supernatural acts, and yet had designed them to multiply and fill the Earth in natural ways that are equally a part of God's continuing care for what He created.

I never thought of it that way, but I can see how God would not have created Adam and Eve with belly buttons because that would give other people that came after them the impression that they were born rather than created from dust and Adam's rib, respectively.

Quickened
Feb 25th 2010, 08:32 PM
I know this question comes up every now and again. I usually wonder what it matters. What i mean by that is that there is a lot of things we can learn and understand from the bible. There are many questions that arise from those studies. Out of all things pertaining to our salvation and everything in between I would advise the person asking the question...

1. There is no definitive answer in the bible and anything either way is pure speculation because nothing can be proven regarding this question.
2. That there are more important things to consider from God's word.

I guess I would use this avenue to show the triviality of the question and pose other thought provoking yet edifying questions to ponder as a response. Often times Christians (and non) come up with questions that there are no definitive answers to. Something like "can i play Golf with Arnold Palmer in Heaven". In the grand scheme of things i would think it would be better to take that curiosity and direct it towards something that would actually be worthwhile to that believer (or non).

My answer is a generic one. Its how i would approach the question in an everyday enviroment outside of this board.

grit
Feb 25th 2010, 08:33 PM
HOW could this be controversial, gritty? That would be akin to having a church schism over how many angels could dance on the head of a pin.

I would cast a "no" vote because neither Adam nor Eve was attached to a placenta.

I agree, but it actually has been very controversial historically, with Michaelangelo particularly getting all kinds of grief from painting him with one on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Some also find one's answer to be very critical and foundational to theological concepts of both God and man. :yes: I tend to think that both Adam and Eve were most likely created with belly buttons.

If you'll Google about it, you'll find it has aspects of discussion which indeed have some degree of Christian import and seriousness, though I'm generally of the opinion that one ought to be very careful about stretching the Scriptures to determine something which might not be there. I'm more of the opinion that one's answer can sometimes say a lot about a person.

Theophilus
Feb 25th 2010, 08:42 PM
I say no because in the Garden, prior to the fall, everything was about perfection...so no belly button lint need apply.

grit
Feb 25th 2010, 08:45 PM
I say no because in the Garden, prior to the fall, everything was about perfection...so no belly button lint need apply.LOL, I found the earlier poll (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?161111-Did-Adam-have-to-worry-about-bellybutton-lint) about Adam and belly button lint.

Vhayes
Feb 25th 2010, 08:46 PM
I say no because in the Garden, prior to the fall, everything was about perfection...so no belly button lint need apply.
Ae you really suggesting that MY belly button lint isn't sanctified and therefore perfect???? Sheesh...
(Good to have you back!)

grit
Feb 25th 2010, 08:57 PM
Since God created man and woman fully grown, as He also seems to have done with the rest of Creation, I think there's a likelihood that, given reproduction was part of His design, Adam and Eve both may have been created with belly buttons, if only so they and their children wouldn't think the kids were weird or deformed or something.

crawfish
Feb 25th 2010, 09:42 PM
Were they created with callouses on the bottom of their feet? A baby's feet are soft and smooth, the callouses show up over time to protect our feet because we're constantly walking on them. Or perhaps callouses on their hands?

I think the basis of this question is, "does God create with history?" Is there evidence in his creation of things that never actually happened?

kay-gee
Feb 26th 2010, 01:33 PM
Since scientists say it takes about a billion years for crude oil to be formed, I wonder if God just created a big ready made batch and put it in the earth?

all the best...

theBelovedDisciple
Feb 26th 2010, 05:38 PM

I agree.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since scientists say it takes about a billion years for crude oil to be formed, I wonder if God just created a big ready made batch and put it in the earth?

all the best...

This is what I"ve been Taught.. He has provided everything...

The Mighty Sword
Feb 26th 2010, 05:55 PM
How could they have a belly button??? But I do believe after they left the Garden they recieved tattoos that said " Insert belly Button here" for future referrence of course. :D

teddyv
Feb 26th 2010, 06:00 PM
I'll say yes. People here who know me will know why. :)

The Mighty Sword
Feb 26th 2010, 06:47 PM
I'll say yes. People here who know me will know why. :)

Is it because you were born C-Section (in the Controversial section) :lol:

gringo300
Feb 26th 2010, 09:42 PM
I can see practical reasons why they would have been created with calluses on the soles of their feet.

Navels? Off the top of my head, no.