PDA

View Full Version : So why did Paul change his name??

tmentour
Feb 26th 2010, 03:01 AM
Sorry I'm still a little confused w/that? and why did any1 else change their name in the bible?

Crosstalk
Feb 26th 2010, 03:10 AM
Well, the name of Saul of Tarsus brought thoughts of fear among Christians at the time of Paul's conversion. Also there was the parallel between Saul of Tarsus
and Saul from the OT who persecuted David. Some people think that Paul may have wanted to separate himself from that image.

Also the word Paul means “the little one”. So it may also of been out of his new found humility when he came to realize that he was nothing without Christ.

Vhayes
Feb 26th 2010, 03:35 AM
Crosstalk has given you good answers as well as food for thought. I would add that when God set apart the Abram and Sarai to be the foundation of the Jews, He changed their names to Abraham and Sarah. Paul met Jesus on the Road to Damascus. It was a true encounter with the risen Christ in all His glory. Paul's life changed dramatically in an instant. Jesus used Paul as the missionary to reach and create the Gentile church. I think God told Saul to change his name. It indicated a new life, not the Saul that persecuted and killed but Paul who brought Good News and great joy.

Hope that helps a bit -
V

markedward
Feb 26th 2010, 05:26 AM
If you're careful to notice, the book of Acts says that Saul changed his name to Paulos just after another individual named Sergius Paulos was introduced. In the Greek text, "Paul" is spelled Paulos. The Greek name "Paulos" means "little".

My guess is that Saul, having formerly been an "big time" persecutor of Christians, changed his named to Paulos after meeting Sergius Paulos, because the name "Paulos" means "little", and so Saul wanted to emphasize that he himself was made "little" (or, in other words, he had been shown humility) in relation to Jesus Christ.

As I said, it's just a guess, but the book of Acts does just so happen to wait until after Sergius Paulos is introduced before it tells us that Saul changed his name to Paulos. I think the connection is obvious, but the reasoning is only a guess.