PDA

View Full Version : Sola scriptura!

MaryFreeman
Feb 27th 2010, 09:11 PM
Before I say anything else.... I will state this:

I do NOT want anyone trying to convince anyone else they are wrong....
I know what I believe and why I believe it....
I have NO intentions of changing any mind that belongs to God alone....
He does that all by Himself and has no need of my help....
I sart these threads out of curiosity alone....
All I want.... Is for my brothers and sisters to share with me what they believe....
And what Scripture led them to believe it....

WHY?

Because I am a curious George....

So please.... Let us not argue amongst ourselves.... Rather discuss peacefully our beliefs.... Irregardless of the outcome....

I will still gain understanding regarding my brothers and sisters....

THAT BEING SAID....

Here we go!

When you see the words Sola Scriptura....

What does it mean to you?

I will share my thoughts with you as well....

But remember.... I asked first :lol:

moonglow
Feb 27th 2010, 09:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sola_scriptura
Sola scriptura (Latin ablative, "by scripture alone") is the doctrine that the Bible is the only infallible and inerrant authority for Christian faith, and that it contains all knowledge necessary for salvation and holiness. Consequently, Sola Scriptura demands that only those doctrines are to be admitted or confessed that are found directly within or indirectly by using valid logical deduction or valid deductive reasoning from Scripture. However, Sola Scriptura is not a denial of other authorities governing Christian life and devotion. Rather, it simply demands that all other authorities are subordinate to, and are to be corrected by, the written word of God. Sola scriptura was a foundational doctrinal principle of the Protestant Reformation held by the Reformers and is a formal principle of Protestantism today

I agree that is what it means..by scripture alone.

I don't think that means we should not read about historical evidence for the bible..or ignore it when they have a news article saying John the Baptist cave was discovered...all of these things help prove the bible is real and not a made up story. I also don't think this means we cannot read others views, including bible commentaries..comments on here, listening to our pastor, etc.. but when it comes down to a belief its GOT to be backed by scripture.

God bless

newinchrist4now
Feb 27th 2010, 09:51 PM
When you see the words Sola Scriptura....

What does it mean to you?

I will share my thoughts with you as well....

But remember.... I asked first

To me it means, as I learned, that Scripture is the highest authority. Not the only one but the highest so Christians can have Catechisms and such. It does not mean Scripture alone though and I have observed that many don't really follow Sola Scriptura but variations of it.

RogerW
Feb 27th 2010, 10:03 PM
Sola Scriptura - Scripture is the final authority in matters of life and doctrine.

2Ti*3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti*3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Many Blessings,
RW

HisLeast
Feb 27th 2010, 10:24 PM
While I'm not a Catholic, I have a very deep respect for the authority they grant tradition, even though I don't agree on many of the traditional views.

The reason I envy it, is that too often the "scriptura" part of sola scriptura is based entirely on one's private interpretation. Since the only standard a person measures against is what's in their own bibles, they rely on their own understanding to interpret it. So for 2000 years the traditional view of any given passage could be clear and well established... but someone can claim "sola scriptura" to come up with new and (dare I say) CRAZY interpretations of the text.

notuptome
Feb 27th 2010, 11:36 PM
Sola scriptura is the highest and best way to develope doctrine. The problem is that it is not easily accomplished. The scriptura we have, our english translations, are not perfect. We must at times consider that we have a word wrong or in the wrong place or our english word simply fails to convey the precise meaning intended in the originals. We are forced to depend on the Holy Spirit to open our understanding of the word of God. We get into real trouble when we rush ahead of the Holy Spirit and jump to our own conclusions rather than waiting for Him to lead.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

MaryFreeman
Feb 28th 2010, 08:19 AM
Sola Scriptura

To me....

It means Scripture is the only foundation on which to build my faith....

THE ONLY....

This does not mean that traditions are bad....

Or that revelations are bad....

It means anything I do.... Say.... Or practice in life....

Had better be supportable by Scripture....

And....

Had better not replace Scripture....

To include any and all doctrines....

What do you think?

BroRog
Feb 28th 2010, 06:22 PM
While I'm not a Catholic, I have a very deep respect for the authority they grant tradition, even though I don't agree on many of the traditional views.

The reason I envy it, is that too often the "scriptura" part of sola scriptura is based entirely on one's private interpretation. Since the only standard a person measures against is what's in their own bibles, they rely on their own understanding to interpret it. So for 2000 years the traditional view of any given passage could be clear and well established... but someone can claim "sola scriptura" to come up with new and (dare I say) CRAZY interpretations of the text.I don't see this as a bad thing. The solution to the problem you raise is education and practice in the art of exegesis. The better we all get at the process, the better we will be both individually and as a community of believers. Without open debate, which tradition can not allow, we believers can not correct errors that may have crept into Christian thought over the years.

HisLeast
Feb 28th 2010, 07:13 PM
I don't see this as a bad thing. The solution to the problem you raise is education and practice in the art of exegesis. The better we all get at the process, the better we will be both individually and as a community of believers. Without open debate, which tradition can not allow, we believers can not correct errors that may have crept into Christian thought over the years.

Hahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :rofl:

Are we talking about the same church?

BroRog
Feb 28th 2010, 07:17 PM
Hahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :rofl:

Are we talking about the same church?

Well, I can dream can't I? :)