PDA

View Full Version : Angels....

MaryFreeman
Feb 28th 2010, 05:31 PM
For me.... I am just glad they are here and they do what God tells them:pp....

But does anyone have any Scripture concerning them specifically?

What are they?

How do they do what they do (I already know....)?

Do they have a free will?

And any other conceivable question you can think of to answer?

I am asking for my husband....

nzyr
Feb 28th 2010, 10:06 PM
Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation? (Hebrews 1:14)

I believe they have free will. But that they always choose what is right and good.

markedward
Feb 28th 2010, 10:42 PM
Angels serve God and his will. They are the "heavenly host" (i.e. the army of heaven). They carry messages from God to man. (Such as Gabriel bringing a message to Daniel, or to Mary.) They protect man from harm if God wills it. (Consider the angel who aided Peter in his escape from prison.) They perform(ed?) ceremonial/priestly duties in heaven. (See the book of Revelation.)

jayne
Mar 1st 2010, 02:42 AM
Here's some good stuff that sums it all up that I found on the net.

The origin of angels. Angels are created beings (Ps. 148: 2-5). Hence, angels are not to be worshipped (Col. 2: 8). Angels were created as free moral agents. Some remained loyal to God, others rebelled (2 Pet. 2: 4).

The design and purpose of angels. As seen, angels are primarily God's messengers (Matt. 1: 20). Angels also minister or serve. Speaking of angels the Hebrews writer wrote, "Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?" (Heb. 1: 14.) Angels have also served as instruments (though whom God has worked, Gen. 19: 13).

Similarities between angels and man. Both angels and man were created by God (Ps. 148: 2-5, Gen. 1, 2). Hence, both are subservient to God (Heb. 1: 6, Matt. 4: 10). Angels and man are also both free moral agents (freedom of choice in service, 2 Pet. 2: 4, 6; Gen. 2, 3). At times, angels have resembled man physically (Gen. 18: 1-22).

Dissimilarities between angels and man. Angels are now superior to man (2 Pet. 2: 11). Angels are genderless (Matt. 22: 30). In this vein, angels do not marry or procreate (Matt. 22: 30). Moreover, angels are spirit beings and are not heirs of God as man is (Heb. 1: 14; I Pet. 1: 12, Rom. 8: 17).

Angelic organization. The term "archangel" is indicative of rank (I Thes. 4: 16). We read of cherubim and seraphim (Gen. 3: 24, Isa. 6: 2, 3). The Cherubim, apparently high ranking angels, are presented as winged (Ex. 25: 20). In this angelic hierarchy, there is also what is called the "theophany," perhaps the highest in rank. The theophany, while an angel, assumes the "position" of God himself (Ex. 3: 2-6). He is called "the angel of the Lord" (Ex. 3: 2). The archangel, cherubim, seraphim, and the "theophany" all appear to be over angels in general.

Angelic activity. Angels were the agents in the destruction of the cities of the plain (Gen. 19), an angel destroyed the Assyrian army (2 Kgs. 19), and angels were associated with the birth of Jesus (Matt. 2: 13, ch. 1). The "angel of the Lord" rolled back the stone from the door of Jesus' grave (Matt. 28: 2), and two were present at Jesus' ascension (Acts 1: 10). Angels comforted Jesus and Paul (Matt. 4: 11, Acts 27: 23 ff.). Angels shall accompany Jesus in the Judgment and shall separate the saved and the lost (Matt. 13: 36 ff.).

How about angelic activity today? There are some things we know with absolute certainty. For instance, angels are not to present another gospel or change Jesus' gospel (see "The Gospel of Jesus Christ," also in Archives) in any way (Gal. 1: 6-9). Hence, all the religions which are built on the claim of angelic revelation are wrong! We also know that angels do not violate in any way God's present means of working with man. For instance, God saves man through the gospel, not angelic intervention or coercion (Rom. 1: 16). In this vein, angels must not be perceived as miraculously working (miracles, as such) in man's behalf (I Cor. 13: 8-10).

Two verses which are very intriguing relative to angels' present activity are: Matthew 18: 10, see addendum, and Hebrews 1: 14. Angels are certainly interested in man (Lk. 15: 10) and some believe angels are presently active, in view of the foregoing verses. Hebrews 1: 14 does apply to this final dispensation (see Heb. 1: 1 ff.). Any believed activity, though, must be governed by the foregoing and presented in harmony with such verses as I Peter 3: 12 and I Corinthians 10: 13. More than this we cannot say (Deut. 29: 29).

MaryFreeman
Mar 1st 2010, 06:22 AM
Thanks all!

Any more?

Not saying whats posted is not great.... But wanting to make sure I've got everything? I think that is what I am trying to say.... I have a book about angels I thought to read....

ross3421
Mar 1st 2010, 10:01 AM
Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation? (Hebrews 1:14)

I believe they have free will. But that they always choose what is right and good.

Thanks for bringing up the verse, so are we not the heirs of salvation? Then how do angels minister unto us specifically?

1pe 1:12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

Is it angels which are ministering to the apostles at Pentecost?

Heb 1:7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

Ac 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Ac 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Why are the angels desirous to those which hear the Gospel?

ross3421
Mar 1st 2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks all!

Any more?

Not saying whats posted is not great.... But wanting to make sure I've got everything? I think that is what I am trying to say.... I have a book about angels I thought to read....

How do you feel about having are own "guardian" angel?

Scripture implies that one may in fact have a personal angels as at times they are given personal pronouns.

Mt 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Re 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Scripture also implies angels indwell flesh or appear in flehly form (seems like a lot of so called si fi movies perhaps not so) ? We also demons posses people probably more than we realize.

Heb 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Angels are spirit beings and when we die we become spirit beings, is there a connection? Or are there two classes of spirits which is not mentioned in scripture?

Just some thought starters......

A lot of question about angels have gone unanswered, most will say they are