PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Luke(2)

Frances
Mar 1st 2010, 05:13 PM
Luke 1:1-39

It has been suggested that Luke and Acts were written by Luke to Theophilus, possibly the presiding judge for Paul’s trial in Rome, or Paul’s defence lawyer.

What does the text say? – The elderly Zacharias and Elizabeth his wife were not able to have children. When Zacharias’ turn came to burn incense in the Temple, and a crowd were praying outside, the angel Gabriel appeared to Zacharias and told him that Elizabeth would have a son who must be called John; he would be filled with the Holy Spirit before birth, he must not drink alcohol, and he would turn many Israelites to the Lord their God. Gabriel also said Zacharias would be mute until the child was named because he did not believe what the angels said. Six months after Elizabeth had become pregnant Gabriel appears to Mary, a virgin betrothed to Joseph, a descendant of David, and told her to rejoice because she was highly favoured by the Lord God; she would, by the Power of God, conceived a Son and called Him Jesus, He would be the Son of the Highest and receive David’s throne, then reign over Israel for ever. Gabriel also told Mary that Elizabeth, her relative, was six months pregnant, for with God nothing is impossible. Mary declared her willingness to be used by God, and Gabriel left.

Application? – Being elderly and pregnant for the first time with no modern medical assistance it must have been rather daunting to consider the coming delivery! The prospect of being unmarried and pregnant must have been even more daunting for Mary, as according to the law premarital sex meant death by stoning. Has the Lord ever favoured me by giving me something very difficult to do for Him? Do I regard pain and difficulty more of a curse than a Blessing? Does my attitude need to change? When I, and my attitude, are in the centre of God’s Will (as Elizabeth and Mary’s were) the Lord gives his Peace.

Frances
Mar 2nd 2010, 05:42 PM
Luke 1:39 -

What does the text say? – Mary left her home in the Nazareth and went to visit Elizabeth in Judea(possibly Hebron as it was a levitical town) for three months. When Mary greeted her relative the baby in Elizabeth’s womb leapt and she was filled with the Holy Spirit, realizing Mary was pregnant with the Child who would be their Lord. Mary proclaimed the Magnificat (similar to Hannah’s song at the birth of Samuel(1 Sam.2:1-10). A son was born to Elizabeth; eight days later he was circumsized and named John. Those circumcising the baby asked Zacharias what he wanted him called, He wrote “ his name is John” and immediately he was able to speak again. Everyone realized John was special in some way. Zacharias was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied that John would be God’s prophet and prepare the way for the Lord by giving folk the knowledge of Salvation through the forgiveness of Sin. The child grew and became spiritually strong, he went to live in the desert until he began his public ministry.

Application? – Have I/do I sometimes need to spend time with the other folk who will understand my present situation? Do I sometimes “know” what only the Lord could have told me? Does the Lord sometimes need to give me an affliction to ensure I believe His Word and do His Will? Do I really appreciate the Blessings the Lord gives me? Am I prepared to wait many years to see God’s Promise to me fulfilled?

Frances
Mar 3rd 2010, 04:27 PM
Luke 2:1-20

What does the text say? – Everyone had to go to their ancestral town to be registered for a census, so Joseph and Mary went from Nazareth to Bethlehem. While they were there Mary, who was pregnant, delivered a Son in a stable. Shepherds watching their flocks not far away were surrounded by the Glory of God and confronted by an angel who told them not to fear for he brought the good News of Christ’s birth, Glorifying God and bringing His Peace and Goodwill to men. They would find the Baby in a manger. The shepherds went to Bethlehem and found Joseph, Mary, and the Baby in a manger. They told others what they had heard and seen, then returned to their flocks.

Application? – Do with the requirements of a pagan law ensure I am where God wants me to be? Does the Lord Bless me with a Godly curiosity sometimes? Although leaving my responsibilities (as the shepherds did) is wrong, is it possible that there may be an occasion one day when something else is briefly more important? Do I recognise, Glorify and praise God for His Peace and His Goodwill towards me. The mountain top experience with the Lord may be a one off experience to be treasured, not necessarily a place to stay.

QuoteL Henry H. Halley) “ in recent years ancient papyri have been found from which it is learned that Quirinius was twice governor of Syria. Luke expressly says it was the first enrolment. . . . Thus the spade of the archaeologist goes on and confirming, even in minutest detail, the historical accuracy of Bible statements. “

Frances
Mar 4th 2010, 05:51 PM
Luke 2:21-52

What does the text say? – When the Baby was eight days old He was circumcised, named Jesus (Lev.12:2-8) and the necessary offering was made to the Lord. The Holy Spirit told Simeon that Jesus was the Lord’s Christ and he proclaimed that Jesus was ’God’s salvation, the light to reveal God to the Gentiles, and the Glory of Israel’. Simeon blessed Joseph and Mary and said Jesus would cause many Israelites to fall but will bring joy to many others and many will oppose Him; the deepest thoughts of many hearts will be revealed and Mary’s heart would experience pain. Anna, a prophet, was also in the Temple and spoke of the Redemption Jesus would bring. Jesus’ earthly parents went to Jerusalem every year for Passover; when He was 12 unknown to His parents Jesus stayed in the Temple when the crowd of their friends and relatives left to go home, so it was a day later before Mary and Joseph realised He was not with them. They eventually found Jesus discussing Scripture in the Temple with the teachers, and He explained He was about His Father’s business. Jesus went home with His parents and was a obedient to them.

Application? – Was I dedicated to the Lord as a baby? Have I dedicated my children to the Lord? Have I, understanding the significance, rededicated my life to Him? Does knowing Jesus give me Joy? Or do I oppose Him? What do the deepest thoughts of my heart reveal? Have I accepted the Redemption Jesus bought? Do I discuss Scripture with others? Am I obedient to Jesus Christ?

Note:- Jesus was born at a centre of historic association. Rachel’s burying place, the city of David, and the home of Ruth. Hebron, 15 miles east to the south was the home of Abraham and Isaac and Jacob. 10 miles northwest was Gibeon, where Joshua made the sun stand still. 12 miles west was where David slew Goliath. 6 miles north was Jerusalem, where Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek, the capital of David and Solomon, also where Isaiah and Jeremiah ministered.

Frances
Mar 5th 2010, 06:05 PM
Luke 3

What does the text say? – Historical details regarding when John began preaching the need for repentance and baptism for the forgiveness of Sins; fulfilling Isaiah 40:3-5. True repentance changes lives and is demonstrated by righteousness. John said One would come Who would Baptise with Holy Spirit and fire. Herod Antipas had John imprisoned for saying it was unlawful for him to have married his sister in law. Jesus was baptised in water, and while He prayed the Holy Spirit descended on Him, like a dove, and a Voice from heaven said “ You are my beloved Son, in You I am well pleased” Jesus was about 30 Years old when He began His Ministry. The genealogy of Joseph is given.

Application? – Have I repented and then been baptised in water? Do I repent of every act or thought that would displease the Lord? If I have truly repented my actions will change. Have I asked for, and received, the Baptism of the Holy Spirit? Do I have the courage to tell folk if their actions contravene God’s law? Do I remember to be as gentle as a dove when correcting others? Is it important to me to please God? Do my actions indicate that I am more interested in pleasing God, or in pleasing someone else? My genealogy is important too; I, also, am descended from Adam and Eve through Seth.

Note;-John lived on locusts and wild honey (Matt. 3:4)Locust had been used from earliest times, they were roasted or sun dried and eaten like parched grain and is said to taste like shrimp; or was it ‘locust beans’ that were referred to? Josephus says that John “had great influence over the people who seemed ready to do anything that he should advise.

Frances
Mar 6th 2010, 05:23 PM
Luke 4:1-30

What does the text say? – Jesus was led into the wilderness by the Holy Spirit, He fasted and was tempted by the devil for 40 days. He was tempted to turn stones into bread, to bow down and worship the devil and to prove His divinity by jumping off the pinnacle of the Temple, knowing He would not be hurt. Jesus answered each temptation by quoting Scripture. The devil, recognizing Jesus Strength, then left Him until a better a opportunity came. Jesus returned to Galilee in the Power of the Spirit. He taught in the synagogues and was praised by everyone. When Jesus’ arrived in Nazareth He went to the synagogue as usual; He was given the scroll of Isaiah to read aloud, He read Is.61:1-2, then Jesus sat down and said “ today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing”. Jesus also knew He was not accepted for Who He was by those who had known Him from a Child, even so He told them of the gentiles who had been Blessed by God when many Israelites were not. The people were angry and intended to throw Jesus over the cliff but He walked through them and went away.

Application? – When I am tempted to Sin and/or glorify myself, do I quote Scripture to strengthen my resolve to be true to the Lord? Do I expect God to protect me from the effects of the Laws of nature? Just because I have not been tempted to deviate from God’s Way for me lately does not mean I will not be soon. Satan will only leave me alone if he recognizes my determination to be true to God. Am I surprised when the Lord, working through me, is not recognised, or appreciated, by those who know me well? Do I realise God does not Heal everyone? Do I fully appreciate those times the Lord has healed me, or lessened my pain, or accelerated Healing?

Frances
Mar 7th 2010, 06:13 PM
Luke:4:31-44

What does the text say? – Jesus went to Capernaun and taught with Authority on the Sabbath. He rebuked a demon causing it to come out of a man, and the information had spread rapidly. Simon’s mother in law was ill with a fever, Jesus rebuked the fever and it left, then she prepared a meal for them. At sunset all those who were ill were brought to Jesus and He Healed them all; Demons came out of many proclaiming Jesus to be the Christ, but He told them to be quiet. When day came Jesus left there going to a deserted place. The crowd tried to stop Jesus leaving them but He said He must preach the Kingdom of God in other places too, for that was why He was sent.

Application? – Jesus Authority was demonstrated by demons obeying Him and by sick people being made well. Jesus Healed everyone who came to him to be made well. Do I trust Him to Heal me? Do I trust Him to Heal my mind as well as my body?

Note:-Luke doesn’t mention the events in the year between Jesus’ Temptation and the beginning of His Ministry in Galilee that are listed between John 1:19 and 4:54, His First disciples Called, Water into wine and Cana, cleansing of the Temple, conversation with Nicodemus, Preaching in the lower Jordan, Samaritan woman, or healing the nobleman’s son.

Frances
Mar 18th 2010, 05:34 PM
Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “Jesus said a good deal about Satan.

Called him the Enemy – Matthew 13:39,
The Evil one - Matthew 13:38,
the prince of this world - John 12:31; 14:30.
A liar and the father of lies - John 8:44,
a murderer - John 8: 4,
he fell from heaven - Luke 10:18
he has a kingdom- Matthew 12:26 ,
evil men are his sons - Matthew 13: 28,
That he sows tares among the wheat - Mathew 13:38 to 39,
he snatches the Word from hearers - Matthew 13:19; Mark 4:15; Luke 8:12,
bound a woman for 18 years - Luke 13:16,
he decided to have Peter - Luke 22:31,
he has angels - Matthew 25:41,
that Eternal Fire is prepared for him - Matthew 25:41.

The Bible represent Satan as:-

The tempter - Matthew 4:3,
the prince of demons - Matthew 12: 24; Mark 3:22; Luke 11:15.
source of demonic possession - Matthew 12:22-29; Luke 11:14-23.
he put betrayal into the heart of Judas - John 13: 2, 27.
perverts the Scriptures - Matthew 4:4; Luke 4:10, 11.
He is the god of this world - 2 Corinthians 4:4.
The prince of the power of the air - Ephesians 2:2,
he fashions himself into an angel of light - 2 Corinthians 11: 14.
our Adversary - 1 Peter 5:8.
The deceiver of the whole world - Revelations 12: 9; 20:3-10,He blinds the minds of unbelievers - 2 Corinthians 4:4.
False teachers are’ the synagogue of Satan’ - Revelation 2:9.
can produce false miracles - 2 Thessalonians 2:9.
As a roaring lion seeks to devour Christians - 1 Peter 5:8.
is a overcome by faith - 1 Peter 5:9.
Is wily - Ephesians 6:11.
he is the spirit that works in the disobedient - Ephesians 2:2.
moved David to Sin - 1 Chronicles 2:1. Caused Job troubles - Job 1: 7 to 2: 10,
was the adversary of Joshua - Zechariah 3:1-9. Gets the advantage of Christians - 2Corinthians 2:11.
Evil men are his children - 1 John 3:8-10.
the great dragon+ the old serpent - Revelations 12:9;
The seducer of Adam and Eve - Genesis 3:1 to 20.
he will flee if resisted - James 4:7 .
he caused Paul’s thorn in the flesh - 2 Corinthians 12:7.
hindered Paul’s missionary plans - 1Thessalonians 2:18.
Caused Ananias to lie - Acts 5:3 .

Buck shot
Mar 19th 2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks Frances

I pasted that into a word document so i can reference it later :)

Frances
Mar 19th 2010, 06:29 PM
Luke:5:1-16

What does the text say? – Jesus was by the Sea of Galilee surrounded by a crowd wanting to hear Him preach; He saw fishermen washing their nets beside two boats. Jesus sat in Simon’s boat in the water to teach the crowd.(sound carries much further of the sea) Simon protested when Jesus told them to go into deep water and let out the net’s, because they and their partners James and John had caught nothing all night; nevertheless they did as Jesus said and between them called a great many fish. Jesus told them that from then on they’d catch men; so they left everything and followed Him. In one village a man with advanced leprosy begged Jesus to Heal him. Jesus touched him and he was instantly Healed, then Jesus told him to ask the priest to examine him, as a public testimony of his Healing but not to say how the Healing came about. Many came to Jesus to be Healed so He often went into the wilderness alone to pray.

Application? – Am I willing to do what I can to ensure other people hear Jesus’ clearly? Do I heed what He says, even regarding areas of my expertise? Have I left everything to follow Jesus? Miraculous Healing is far more believable, even today, when accompanied by medical evidence. Do I spend time alone in prayer?

Frances
Mar 20th 2010, 06:57 PM
Luke:5:17-

What does the text say? - Pharisee’s and teachers of the Law were a present when some men made a hole in the roof and lowered their paralysed friend to Jesus, because of the crowd; when Jesus saw their faith He forgave the paralysed man’s sins and he was healed, but the Pharisees thought Jesus blasphemed so He asked them if it was easier to say the man’s Sins were Forgiven or ‘rise up and walk’ – the man got up carrying his mat and went away. After that Jesus saw Levi the tax collector at work, and said ‘follow Me’ so Levi left everything and followed Jesus; he gave a feast for many other tax collectors and other folk to meet Jesus. The Pharisees complained because Jesus ate with sinners. Jesus said He had not come to call the righteous but the Sinners to repentance. Jesus was asked why the Pharisees’ disciples and John’s disciples fasted and prayed but His did not. Jesus likened Himself to a Bridegroom, and said they would fast when He was no longer with them. Jesus told a parable showing that new material is too strong to be joined to old and new wine destroys old wineskins, also that those satisfied with one thing do not readily desire another.

Application? –Do I really believe Jesus’ will Heal the ones I pray for? or just hope that He might? It was the faith of the ones taking the man to Jesus that enabled him to be Healed, not his own faith. What have I given up to follow Jesus? What must I give up to be His disciple? Do I invite my friends to meet Jesus? Do I need to fast from food? Drink? TV? Sport? or something else to make room for Jesus in my life? Am I trying to make Jesus an addendum to my former unchristian lifestyle? or am I determined to give up the old and embrace the new?

Frances
Mar 21st 2010, 05:45 PM
Luke 6:1-19

What does the text say? – Walking through grain fields one Sabbath Jesus’ disciples plucked and ate some grain. Some Pharisees accused them of working and so breaking the Law but Jesus said that He, the Son of Man, is Lord of the Sabbath. On another Sabbath when Jesus taught in the synagogue, a man was there with a withered hand. Knowing the Pharisees wanted to accuse Him of something Jesus asked them if it was lawful on the Sabbath to do good or evil, to save or destroy. Jesus told the man to stretch out his hand and he did so and it was Healed, which angered the Pharisees and they discussed together how to kill Him. Jesus spent the night in prayer, then chose 12 out of his many disciples to be apostles. A great multitude came to Jesus to hear Him and be Healed, they all tried to touch Him for His power Healed them all.

Application? – Does Jesus approve of everything I do on my day of rest? If someone wants some error to accuse me of does that inhibit my actions? Or do I continue to glorify God to the best of my ability? Do I spend a night in prayer before making important decisions for the future? Does Jesus’ Power flow through me to others? Why? Why not?

Frances
Mar 22nd 2010, 05:59 PM
Luke 6:20-49

What does the text say? – Jesus said God will Bless those who are spiritually poor, hungry and distressed, and those who are hated, excluded and mocked because they follow the son of man; the ancient prophets were treated the same way. Earthly riches give fleeting happiness and physical prosperity, praising and laughter may well give way to spiritual hunger, mourning and sorrow. Love and pray for enemies and those who hate and hurt you. Freely offer what folk want to take by force. Do as you would be done by. Be merciful, not expecting earthly reward and be compassionate just like your Heavenly Father. If you judge and condemn you will be judged and condemned in the same way. Forgive and you will be Forgiven, the amount you give will determine the amount you get back. One blind man will only lead other blind men into trouble. Students have a lot to learn. Don’t worry about the speck in someone else’s eye when you have a log in your own. A good or bad tree is recognized by its fruit, and a good or evil person is recognized by their actions. Those who don’t obey Jesus’ Teaching build their life on foundations of sand, but those who obey him build their life on rock.

Application? –Am I doing all I can to learn more of God and His Ways? Am I too concerned with my own comfort? Do I pray for those opposed to me? Do my actions demonstrate love for others? Do I do for others what I’d like them to do for me? Am I merciful and compassionate? Do I judge and condemn others? Do I forgive those who harm me? Do I try to teach others what I don’t fully understand myself? I still have a lot to learn. Do I like to correct others? Are there things I don’t see clearly? Does God consider the fruit of my life good or bad? Am I building my life on the Rock of the Lord’s Word or the sound of secularism?

Frances
Mar 23rd 2010, 05:54 PM
Luke 7

What does the text say? - Jesus went into the Capernaun, where a centurion, whose servant was about to die, sent Jewish Elders to ask Him to Heal his servant. They told Jesus the centurion had built the synagogue for them. Jesus was not far from the house when the centurion sent friends to say he was unworthy to have Jesus under his roof, but as He had great Authority He could just say the Word and his servants would be Healed. Jesus highly commended the centurion’s faith and Healed his servant. Then Jesus and many disciples went to Nain. They arrived as a widow’s only son was being carried to be buried; Jesus touched the coffin and told the man to arise – and he did. News of this spread far and wide including to John the Baptist in prison; who sent two of his disciples to ask Jesus if He was the Messiah or not. Jesus replied they must tell John what they had seen and heard. When they had left, Jesus told the crowd Isaiah (40:3) wrote about John(the Baptist) but he who is least in the Kingdom of Heaven is greater than John. A Pharisee invited Jesus for a meal where a sinful woman washed His feet with her tears and dried them with her hair, then poured expensive perfume over them. When the Pharisee complained Jesus told a parable showing that those forgiven much love much, and those forgiven little love little.

Application? – Like the centurion I have heard of Jesus’ Power, do I really trust Him to use His Power to Heal those I tell Him about? Do I fully believe He will Heal me when it is necessary? Do I trust Jesus to raise me from Sin and Death to Life. As John the Baptist didn’t know of Jesus’ death and resurrection he couldn’t trust Jesus death to enable him to rise to New Life again God’s Kingdom. Do I demonstrate my love of Jesus in some way? Do I only love Him a little? or a lot? Is my faith in Jesus sufficient to enable Him to Save me or not?

Frances
Mar 24th 2010, 06:08 PM
Luke 8:1-25

What does the text say? – Jesus went to every town and village proclaiming the Good News of the Kingdom of God, accompanied by His 12 disciples and some women, including Mary Magdalene and the wife of Herod’s steward and others who provided for Him from their resources. Jesus told the parable of the sower – some seed fell beside the road, some on rock, some among thorns and some on good ground. Afterwards His disciples asked the meaning of the parable, and Jesus explained that He referred to the hearts of His hearers. Jesus referred to knowledge of the Kingdom of God as a Light to be shared, and that folk are responsible for their reaction to His Word. Jesus made clear that His mother and siblings have no precedent over those who obey Him. Jesus got into a boat with His disciples saying they’d go across the lake. He was asleep when a storm arose threatening their safety. Jesus disciples were afraid and woke Him, He rebuked the wind and waves, then it was calm and Jesus asked what had happened to their faith.

Application? – Do I support the Lord’s Work from my resources? Is my heart receptive to God’s Word and the still, small Voice of the Holy Spirit? Do I obey Him? What do I do with my knowledge of the Salvation Jesus offers? Do I share that information with others or keep it to myself? Does my attitude please God? Do I fear storms while following Jesus’ instructions ? or trust Him even though He appears to be asleep? Am I sure I’m acting on Jesus instructions and not following my own desires, presuming He will ensure some success?

Frances
Mar 25th 2010, 04:33 PM
Luke 8:26 - 56

What does the text say? – Jesus and His disciples sailed to Gadara and met a naked demonised man who lived in the tombs and recognised Jesus as the Son of the Most High God when He commanded the demons to leave him; they begged Jesus to let them go into a herd of pigs nearby and He agreed. Then the pigs, out of control, ran into the sea and were drowned. The herdsman reported what has happened, so many folk went to investigate and found the formerly demon-possessed man clothed and sane sitting at Jesus’ feet. The people of the area were afraid and asked Jesus to go away; The man who had been set free pleaded to go with Him but Jesus told him to go home and tell what God had done for him. Jesus returned to the crowd, the other side of the sea, who had waited for Him. Jairus, a ruler of the synagogue, pleaded with Jesus to go and Heal his daughter who was dying. On the way a woman who had been menstruating non-stop for many years touched the hem of His robe and was Healed. Jesus knew, and said her faith had enabled her to be Healed. Jairus was told his daughter was dead but Jesus said if he continued believing in Him she’d be made well, and that she was just asleep. Jesus took the dead girls hand and told her to get up – and she did. Then Jesus told her parents to feed her.

Application? – Jesus is more Powerful than an army of demons that may try to influence me. Jesus values one man more highly than many animals, do I?. Unlike Jesus, do I keep trying to persuade those who are unreceptive to Him? Does Jesus want me to witness to His saving Power among those who know me instead of going away with a Christian Group? Do I really believe that if I touch Jesus I will be healed? Or do I just hope I will? Do I take Jesus to those who need Him? Do I realise the importance of fulfilling people’s physical needs?

Frances
Mar 26th 2010, 06:44 PM
Luke 9:1-22

What does the text say? – Jesus gave His 12 disciples Power and Authority over all demons and to cure diseases, He sent them to preach the Kingdom of God and to heal the sick, telling them to take no provision for the journey, to accept hospitality offered but not even take the dust from those who don’t welcome them. So they went preaching the Gospel and healing everywhere. When His disciples returned Jesus took them to a deserted place near Bethsaida to be alone. A multitude followed them, so He spoke to them of God’s Kingdom and Healed those needing healing. Towards evening the disciples wanted Jesus to send the people to get accommodation and provisions, but he told them to feed the people (About 5000 men as well as the women and children )but they only had five loaves and two fish. Jesus Blessed and broke the loaves and fish then gave them to the disciples to distribute; when everyone was satisfied 12 baskets of leftovers were gathered. Jesus asked the 12 who the people thought He was, then who they thought He was. Peter said ’the Christ of God’. Jesus commanded them to tell this to no one, as He must be rejected, killed and rise again on the third day.

Application? – Do I use the Power and Authority Jesus has given me fully? Do I accept hospitality offered in Jesus’ name? Do I accept things offered for the Lord’s work from those who don’t submit to Him ? Do I tell others the Good News of the Kingdom of God? Do I spend time alone with the Lord? Do I feed those who are hungry? Who is Jesus Christ to me? Do I expect to always be provided for when I do the Lord’s Work? if so why am I ignoring to Luke 22: 35 - 36?

Frances
Mar 27th 2010, 06:24 PM
Luke 9:23 - 42

What does the text say? - Jesus said those who aim to be where He is must not please themselves, but take up their cross and follow Him. Those who lose their life for His sake will Save their Life. He will be ashamed of whoever is ashamed of Him and His Word, and some of his hearers would not experienced death until they had seen the Kingdom of God (Rom. 14:17). Later he took Peter, James, and John with Him and He was transfigured, He spoke with Moses and Elijah (both of them had previously vanished/died leaving no body) who spoke of His forthcoming departure/death to be accomplished in Jerusalem. Peter talked for the sake of talking. A cloud covered them and a voice said “ this is My beloved Son hear Him”. They kept quiet about these things ( Mark 9:9) A great crowd met Jesus next day, including a man whose son was demon-possessed but Jesus’ disciples couldn’t cast a demon out, so Jesus did, and Healed the child. (Matthew 17: 14 – 21)

Application? – Is my aim to be with Jesus? Do I please myself or try to please Him even if it is difficult and painful in some way? My ‘cross’ is doing God’s Will inspite of the difficulties, not a painful situation I can do nothing about. My earthly life is nowhere near as important as my Eternal Life. If I am ashamed of Jesus he will be ashamed of me. Have I experienced the Righteousness, Peace and Joy of the Holy Spirit? Do I always feel I have to say something and so talk rubbish like Peter? Do I heed what Jesus says? Do I trust Jesus to work through me enough to do the Work He has given me to do?

Frances
Mar 28th 2010, 11:24 AM
Luke 9:43 - 62

What does the text say? – Jesus told His disciples He would be betrayed, but they didn’t understand the significance and were afraid to ask Him. The disciples argued about which of them was greatest, so Jesus said that whoever is least important, whoever welcomes Him and His Father is greatest. The disciples forbade someone who wasn’t ’against’ Him were ‘for’ Him; and on another occasion He said He did not come to destroy lives but to Save them. They met someone who said he would follow Jesus wherever He went, Jesus replied that he had no home. He said ‘follow Me’ to another who wanted to wait until his father died, but Jesus wanted him to preach the Kingdom of God ‘now’. Another said he’d follow Jesus after he had said goodbye to his family, but Jesus said “no one having put his hand to the plough and looking back is fit for the Kingdom of God.”

Application? – Am I ever afraid to ask Jesus something because I don’t really want to know the answer? Do I want to be ’someone special’ in the Christian world? Or am I content to serve Jesus in modest ways. Do I think the only real Christians are those in ‘my’ denomination? Am I willing to suffer hardship to follow Jesus? Do I do whatever Jesus asks of me now, or do I want to do other things first? Those ploughing must keep their eyes on a point ahead of them to ensure the furrow will be straight, if they look back the furrow will veer completely off course; so if I am following Jesus in the way He requires, I will do so with no other consideration in mind.

Frances
Mar 29th 2010, 04:56 PM
Luke 10:1 - 24

What does the text say? – the Lord Jesus appointed 70 more of His disciples and sent them in pairs to every place where He was about to go. They went as lambs among wolves taking no provisions or luggage, before entering a house Jesus told them to say Peace to this house, if a person of peace lived there the Peace would remain, if not the Peace would return to them; they must consume what was provided. Jesus said ‘don’t hesitate to accept hospitality as a worker deserves their pay’. They were to Heal the sick and tell them ‘the Kingdom of God is near’. If a town refused to welcome them to tell them to abandon them to God’s Judgement and wipe the dust off of themselves. Jesus said those who reject His disciples are rejecting Him too and those who reject Him are rejecting Almighty God. The seventy returned joyfully, reporting that as they spoke in Jesus’ Name demons obeyed them. Jesus said He had seen Satan fall like lightning; He had given them Authority over all the power of the enemy - but their greater Joy should be that their names are written in heaven. Jesus praised God for revealing His Power and Authority to the ordinary people instead of to the highly educated. Those who have witnessed His Power are very privileged.

Application? – Jesus still sends His disciples to evangelise in pairs today – to proclaim to people their need for God in their lives, and to offer Healing of body, mind and spirit in Jesus’ Name. (there is a big difference between ‘believers’ and ‘disciples’). Has Jesus sent me to offer His Peace to other people? Offering His Peace is a ‘win, win’ situation – either I meet a peaceful person or receive back the Lord’s Peace of mind! Do I seek the Lord’s Guidance about when to persevere and when to ‘wipe the dust off my feet’? Do I allow Jesus to demonstrate His Power and Authority through me? If I am one of Jesus’ disciples, with no Sin in my life, the Enemy cannot harm me, so all the imperfections of body and mind I experience are allowed by the Lord for my ultimate good, am I willing to learn the lessons He desires to teach me? Do I have the assurance that my name is written in Heaven?

Frances
Mar 30th 2010, 05:59 PM
Luke 10:25 - 42

What does the text say? – A Lawyer asked Jesus what he must do to inherit eternal Life; the Law said he must love the Lord God with all his soul, strength and mind and his neighbour as himself – but who was his neighbour. Jesus told the parable of the Good Samaritan who cared for his enemy when he’d been attacked, and paid for him to be cared for; Jesus said he must be merciful too. Martha and Mary welcomed Jesus (and His disciples?) to their home. Martha worked hard making and preparing food etc. while Mary sat and listened to Jesus, so Martha asked Jesus to tell Mary to help her, but He said Mary was doing what was the most important.

Application? – Do I love God with all my soul, mind and strength? Am I determined to do His Will however difficult that may be? My neighbour is anyone in need, am I too concerned with my own agendas to give time and/or resources to those in need? Do I welcome Jesus into every area of my life? Do I rush round doing things for Jesus and His friends? Do I spend time just BEing with Him? Do I listen to Him and only do those things He requires of me, instead of those things I’d like to be involved in and am capable of doing?

Frances
Mar 31st 2010, 04:39 PM
Luke 11:1-23

What does the text say? – After Jesus had been praying one of His disciples asked Him to teach them to pray. He taught them what we call ‘the Lord’s Prayer’. Jesus then told a parable illustrating that it may sometimes be necessary to repeatedly pray for the same thing. He said if you ask you will receive, if you seek you will find, if you knock it will be opened. The Father will give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him. Jesus cast a demon out of a mute man who then began to speak, so some accused Him of using Satan’s power - but Jesus said a Kingdom divided will fall, however if He cast out demons by the Finger of God then His Kingdom has arrived. He also said those not working with Him are working against Him.

Application? – If Jesus is my Lord then God is my Father. Do I honour His name and want His Name to be revered by others? Does my life demonstrate how those in the Kingdom of God live? Do I always do God’s Will now in the same way it is done in Heaven – instantly and unquestioningly? God has made His Word available to me, do I allow it to nourish me each day? Do I forgive everyone who hurts me in the same way I want God to Forgive me? The Lord will only lead me into temptation to strengthen me, when I refuse to be tempted He will deliver me from the Evil one. Do I repeatedly intercede for those in need? Have I asked for, and received, repeated infilling with Holy Spirit? Do I follow Jesus closely or only ‘more or less’ and so work against Him?

Quote (Henry H. Halley) “In every recorded prayer Jesus addressed God as ‘Father’ – so different from the bombastic, laboured, lofty and ponderous openings of our own ‘pastoral’ prayers.”

Frances
Apr 1st 2010, 05:37 PM
Luke 11:24-54

What does the text say? – Jesus said if a demon/unclean spirit is removed from a person it will return with 7 others worse than itself. He said those who hear the Word of God and obey it are more Blessed than his earthly mother; and He is greater than Solomon (who was renowned for his wisdom). All the people of Nineveh repented when Jonah preached so were Blessed, but only some of those who heard Him. Lights are not hidden but put in a prominent place, what you see influences what you are, so take care what you see is not evil but good. Jesus was invited to dine with a Pharisee who was amazed He didn’t perform ritual cleanliness, so Jesus said being clean internally was more important than externally: being thought well of by others while being morally and spiritually dirty was like whitewashed tombs full of death. Bible scholars/church leaders who do not teach the full counsel of God are preventing people from knowing the Truth. After that the Scribes and Pharisees frequently tried to find some fault in Jesus.

Application? – If anyone comes to Jesus and is released from Evil but does not submit to God’s Holy Spirit, to be filled by Him, they are in grave danger of worse than they were released from. Have I ever thought Jesus’ earthly mother was more ‘special’ than all those who trust and obey Him?. Have I repented all Sin in my life? Whatever I see will influence me in some way. Might I choose to see anything the Lord regards as evil? Am I more concerned about what other people think about me or what God knows of my life? Do I understand and share the full meaning of God’s Word with others? Do I need the Lord to reveal more to me each day? Do I read God’s Word with the intention of obeying Him or seeking something to justify doubt?

Frances
Apr 2nd 2010, 06:05 PM
Luke 12:1-34

What does the text say? - Jesus warned that hypocrisy multiplies. He assured His hearers that what is spoken in secret will be revealed; it is unwise to fear those who can harm the body, instead of God who is able, after death, to send to Hell. God knows every detail of each life, and each person who listens to, and heeds, Jesus is valuable to Him. Jesus will acknowledge all those who acknowledge Him their Lord, but will deny those who deny His Lordship. Those who speak against Him may be forgiven, but those who blaspheme the Holy Spirit will not be Forgiven. If in court don’t worry as the Holy Spirit will tell you what to say. Beware of covetousness, your possessions do not add relevance to your life, it is more important to have a good relationship with God. Don’t worry about food or clothing as God knows you need them, so seek His Kingdom instead then He will make what you need available, including citizenship in His Kingdom. The equivalent of what you give to the needy will be available for you in Heaven.

Application? – Is there anything in my life that I would be ashamed for anyone else to know? if so I’d better eliminate it now before the Lord allows it to become widely known. Do I have more respect for God or other people? Is my life a good witness to others of how a Christian should live, think and say? Do I deny Jesus is my Lord by word or deed? Do I ever say the Holy Spirit did something He did not, or give the credit for what He has done to another? If I ask the Lord to guide my speech He will. Does what other folk may, or may not, think of my possessions concern me? Do I desire more than, or better than, others? If so is it possible that I may be covetous?

Frances
Apr 3rd 2010, 04:54 PM
Luke 12:35- 59

What does the text say? – Jesus told a parable indicating His servants must always be ready to serve Him at any moment; those who are ready and waiting to serve Him will be Blessed and He will serve them, but those whose attention is elsewhere will be taken by surprise when a thief breaks in. Peter wanted to know if the parable was only for them or for all people, Jesus told another parable showing that those who know His Will and disobey Him will be punished more severely than those who don’t know it.. Jesus talked of His forthcoming torture as ‘baptism’ dividing those who trust Him from those who don’t. He told the multitude they were hypocrites because they didn’t judge, and interpret, the signs of the times correctly – they were even unable to judge the right action in human disputes.

Application? – Am I ensuring my life is Glorifying to the Lord? Am I always ready to change my plans to do His Will? Or do I stick to what I want to do for Him and regard the rest of my time as my own? Am I taken by surprise when what I have accepted as ‘from God’ proves to be deception? or does my discernment protect me? Do I always do God’s will for me? Or do I assume (maybe wrongly) that He will Forgive me anyway? Did I recognise my baptism to be a demarcation between being a citizen of ‘the world’ and being a citizen of God’s Kingdom? Am I a hypocrite? Do I fully realise the times I’m living in?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “Degrees of talent and position entail corresponding degrees of responsibility. Fearful is the warning here for faithless pastors.”

Frances
Apr 4th 2010, 05:48 PM
Luke 13

What does the text say? – Some people told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood was mixed with their sacrifices, so He reminded them of Judgment day. Then He told a parable of a barren fig tree that would be given just one more chance to produce fruit. Jesus was teaching in the synagogue where a woman with a spirit of infirmity had gone to worship God, she was bent over unable to straighten up; Jesus released her and immediately she was able to straighten. The synagogue ruler was annoyed as Jesus Healed her on the Sabbath, so He said anyone would release their animal to drink on the Sabbath, so she aught to be released too. Jesus compared the Kingdom of God to a tiny mustard seed that grows into a tree, or a little yeast that makes a lot of dough rise. His disciples asked how many would be Saved, Jesus replied that many would try to enter His Kingdom but would be unable to, and there will come a time when it will be too late. Jesus spoke again of His death in Jerusalem and how He longed for her people to come to Him.

Application? – Do I repent of Sin as soon as I’m aware of it? Is my life producing Fruit for the Lord? Do I ensure I’m always in the right place to meet Jesus to be Healed? Or have I stopped meeting with God’s people? Am I as kind to people as to my animals? What I do or say may seem insignificant but it’s effect will multiply – for good or evil. Through repentance and faith I have been Saved, will I continue to be Saved or will I drift away from Jesus then find I’ve forfeited my Salvation and tried, too late, to return to Him? Do I pray for the people of Jerusalem to know Jesus as their Lord?

Frances
Apr 5th 2010, 05:34 PM
Luke 14:1 -14

What does the text say? – Jesus was invited to the home of a Pharisee one Sabbath where his host wanted to test Him, to see if He would Heal a man with dropsy. Jesus asked the Pharisees and lawyers if it was lawful to Heal on the Sabbath but they didn’t answer. Jesus Healed the man, then asked which of them would not save one of their animals from harm on the Sabbath, but they didn’t answer. Jesus had noted that the guests had chosen the best places to be, He said they would be wise, when invited to a feast, not to choose the best places as they may have been reserved for someone more worthy, but to choose a lowly place then they may be honoured if told to go to a better place. Jesus told them not to only invite those for a meal who could repay them by inviting them back, but to invite those unable to repay them, then they’d be Blessed in the resurrection.

Application? – Do I ‘test’ Jesus to see if He does what I think He should if He is really from God? Do I treat my animals better than I treat some people? Do I want other people to think I am ‘someone of note’? or am I content to fill a lower place in their estimation? Do I only invite for a meal those who will invite me back? Am I a ‘social climber’ or am I happy to be a friend of the disadvantaged?

Frances
Apr 6th 2010, 05:32 PM
Luke 14:15 - 35

What does the text say? – Jesus told a parable of a great supper to which many were invited, but when it was ready they all made excuses not to attend. The master was angry and sent his servant to invite the disadvantaged instead, as there was still more room he sent his servant to compel more to come as those originally invited would now be excluded. Great crowds went to Jesus; He said the cost of being His disciple is to love Him more than anyone else, even more than their own life, and they must carry their own cross to the end, being willing to give up everything God may ask. It is no good starting well but giving up before the end. Salt that has lost it’s saltiness is no use for any purpose.

Application? – I have been invited to be Jesus’ disciple, am I accepting or rejecting His offer? Do I tell all I meet that Jesus’ offer is for them too? Have I considered the possible cost of being Jesus’ disciple? Does He mean more to me than anything I may have to sacrifice in my life with Him? Am I willing to embrace any mental or physical torture for His sake? Will I pay whatever it costs to be faithful to Jesus? Am I a good witness for Jesus? Does my life Glorify Him?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “These are stern words. Following Jesus was a far more serious business than the multitude imagined. . . Faithful devotion to those who are our own flesh and blood is one of the unfailing teachings of Scripture, but Jesus here means that if it is necessary to make a choice between Him and them, there must not be the slightest hesitancy.”

Frances
Apr 7th 2010, 04:50 PM
[Luke 15

What does the text say? – The scribes and Pharisees complained that Jesus welcomed tax collectors and Sinners, so He told a parable of a man with 100 sheep who left 99 in the wilderness to search for a lost one, and when he finds it is so joyful he throws a party – and He said that, similarly, there is more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over 99 upright people who don’t need to repent. Jesus told other parables – of a woman losing a tenth of her money; and of a young man who asked for, and was given, his inheritance while his father still lived; he wasted the lot and was destitute before coming to his senses and going home, intending to ask his father to hire him as a servant, but his father reinstated him as his son and gave a party for him. The elder brother, who had never done anything wrong, was jealous of the fuss made of his brother, not realising that he was heir to everything his father owned.

Application? – Do I recognise my need to repent as I am not perfect in every way? If I stray from God He will want me back. (in Bible times of pasture with no fences the shepherd broke the leg of a constantly straying sheep to encourage them to stay with him). Do I need to repent of anything? Might my suffering be to encourage me to stay close to Jesus Christ, my Shepherd? Am I determined not to stray from Him again? Is Jesus as precious to me as I am to Him? Do I expect God to give me my Inheritance now? Do I (wrongly) think I am entitled to a problem-free existence because God is my Father? Do I keep close to Him and always obey Him? Temptation to stray from the Lord comes with every Gift He gives. If I stray will I come to my senses before it is too late? Do I feel resentful of the fuss made of those Saved by God from gross Sin? Am I aware of God’s Riches I will inherit one day but not aware those Blessings can be enjoyed now, here on earth?

Frances
Apr 8th 2010, 06:20 PM
Luke 16:1-14

What does the text say? – Jesus told a parable of a steward who, having squandered his master’s goods was going to be dismissed so, to ensure he would still have friends, he reduced the bills folk owed his master. The master commended him for acting dishonestly (!!). When earthly possessions have been used to benefit others and make friends you will be welcomed into an everlasting home. Those faithful or unjust in small ways will be just as faithful or unjust in greater ways, so if you are unfaithful with worldly wealth who will trust you with true riches? And if you have not been faithful with another person’s property who will give you your own? No one can serve God and money. The Pharisees, who loved money,, scoffed at Him, so Jesus told them God knows what is in each person’s heart, also that what this world honours God detests.

Application? – Do I squander what doesn’t belong to me? Am I totally honest? or do I try to keep friends by dishonesty? Will my ‘everlasting home’ be Heaven or Hell? Are my earthly possessions used to Glorify God in ways faithful to Him? Or do I try to serve Him in ‘worldly’ ways?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “ Jesus commends his foresight, not his dishonesty; his providing for his future, not his dishonest way of doing it.
We have to have money to supply our daily needs, but the struggle is in our hearts, as to whom we really serve and depend on, the money itself or the One who gave the money?”

Frances
Apr 9th 2010, 04:43 PM
Luke 16:15 - 31

What does the text say? – Jesus told the Pharisees that though they liked to appear righteous God knows their hearts, and He detests what men honour. Moses and the prophets guided the people until John the Baptist, since then the Kingdom of God is preached and everyone is eager to get in, however the whole Law of God is still in force. For example, the man who divorces his wife and re-marries commits adultery, and anyone marrying the divorced woman commits adultery. Jesus told a parable of a beggar, Lazarus, who laid at a rich man’s gate; they both died, the rich man went to Hell, Lazarus to ‘Abraham’s bosom;. The rich man, in torment, asked Abraham to send Lazarus to help him, but Abraham said there was a chasm separating them that no one could cross. The rich man begged Abraham to send Lazarus to warn his brothers of the reality of Hell, for they would listen to one who had risen from the dead; but Abraham said if they didn’t heed Moses and the prophets neither would anyone rising from the dead persuade them.

Application? – What does God see in my life that offends Him? Do I read, mark, learn and inwardly digest the law (first 5 books of the Bible) and the prophetic books of the Old Testament? Does what Jesus said about divorce and remarriage apply to me? Is the way I live my life on earth earning me a place in Hell? Would I be wise to accept the offer of Salvation from the One who died in my place, then Rose from the dead, and live to please Him?

Quote (Henry H. Halley) “One of the most powerful stimulants to good, and deterrents from evil in this life is a profound conviction of the reality of the future life, and that our estate there will depend on our behaviour here. A heart firmly fixed in Heaven will surely mean a more careful walk in this world.
This one has an end. That one will last forever”.

Frances
Apr 10th 2010, 04:32 PM
Luke 17:1-19

What does the text say? – Jesus said there will always be temptations to Sin, but the tempters will suffer and it would have been better for them to have been drowned first. If someone sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent forgive them – even for seven offences on one day. A mustard seed of faith will enable the impossible to happen. Obedience to God is a duty He has the right to expect from mankind. Jesus was passing through Samaria when 10 lepers asked Him to have mercy on them. Jesus told them to show themselves to the priest (to prove they were healed) as they went they were Healed; a Samaritan returned to Glorify God, so Jesus told him his faith had made him well.

Application? – Temptation to Sin is, and will be, a normal part of my life. Have I ever tempted others to disobey the Lord? If a Christian sins against me I must rebuke them, then if they repent I must forgive them – even if they sin against me 7 times in one day. The sinner’s repentance precedes forgiveness. Is my faith in God’s Power, working through me, as big as a mustard seed? Do I always obey God? Do I fully realise He has the right to expect my obedience? Do I do what I can to alleviate other people’s suffering? Do I always thank God for each Blessing He gives immediately? Jesus Healed the lepers as they were obeying Him. As I step out in faith to obey the Lord He will Bless me.

Frances
Apr 11th 2010, 10:59 AM
Luke 17: 20-37

What does the text say? – Jesus told the Pharisees ”the kingdom of God is in your midst”. He told His disciples that, in future, they would long to see Him come again, but they would not. People will say Jesus is in various places but it will not be true; when He does come He will be as visible to everyone as a flash of lightening. Before that, He would suffer and be rejected. When He returns the situation will be as it was in Noah’s time when, apart from Noah and his family, everyone was destroyed; or in the time when the unrighteousness in Sodom and Gomorrah was Judged when Lot left. Remember Lot’s wife who turned back. Whoever tries to save their life will lose it, and whoever is willing to lose their life for His sake (Matt. 10:39 + 16:25) will save it. Some will be taken and some left.

Application? – Am I a citizen of God’s Kingdom? Do I long to see Jesus come again? Tales are rife in the present day of where the Power of the Lord is abundantly active, encouraging folk to travel to those venues . . .then most such places are discredited. Have I thought unGodly areas in my life don’t matter? Will I turn wholeheartedly to Jesus or turn back to worldly, unrighteous, ways? Am I willing to ‘stand up and be counted’ as a disciple of Jesus Christ? Or will I forfeit the Eternal Salvation He offer?

Frances
Apr 12th 2010, 04:28 PM
Luke 18:1-23

What does the text say? – Jesus told a parable of a persistent widow, to show that His disciples should pray constantly and never give up. He also questioned how many would have faith in Him when He returns. Jesus told a parable of a tax collector and a Pharisee praying; the Pharisee told God how righteous he was and how thankful he was that he was not sinful like other people, the tax collector knew he was a Sinner and asked God to be Merciful to him. Jesus said everyone who thinks highly of themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. And He said “Whoever does not receive the Kingdom of God as a little child will not enter it”. He was asked by a rich man what was necessary to inherit Eternal Life, Jesus said that as well as obeying God’s Commandments he must sell all he had and give the money to the poor, then follow Him.

Application? – do I pray regularly for each need? Am I discouraged, or persistent, when I do not receive what I ask the Lord for? Am I doing what I am able to encourage true faith in Jesus? Do I consider myself better than others? Do I recognise my need for God’s Mercy? Do I trust God to keep His Word? Do I trust Him to fulfil my needs at the right time? Do I choose to obey and rely on Him? Do I expect punishment if I disobey God? Do I trust His Wisdom and Ability more than my own? Do I regard all my possessions as being available for the Lord to dispose of as He chooses? Am I following Him all the time? Do I ever go ahead of Him and so go the wrong way?

Frances
Apr 13th 2010, 05:16 PM
Luke 18:24-43

What does the text say? – Jesus said it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter God’s Kingdom; but things impossible for people are possible for God. Those who have left home or parents or siblings or wife or children for God’s Kingdom will obtain more in this life and the next. Jesus told His 12 disciples He would be tortured and killed in Jerusalem, then rise again on the third day, but they didn’t understand the significance of what He said. Nearing Jericho a blind man shouted to Jesus, “Son of David have mercy on me”, Jesus asked what he wanted, when told He said “receive your sight, your faith has made you well”; he received his sight and all the people praised God.

Application? – Did trusting and obeying Jesus jeopardise a worldly advantage I enjoy? Do I really believe God can do what is impossible to mankind? Is obedience to God more important to me than people and places I love? Do I obey God in spite of knowing it will lead to mental or physical torture? Do I believe that I, too, will rise to New Life after any pain I may face because I am faithful to Jesus? Do I trust in Jesus’ ability although I cannot see Him? Do I praise God for what He does for others?

Note:- This was the 5th time Jesus told His disciples of His forthcoming death and resurrection, but they did not understand the implications

Frances
Apr 14th 2010, 04:33 PM
Luke 19:1-27

What does the text say? – Jesus passed through Jericho when Zacchaeus, a short rich tax collector, climbed a sycamore tree to see Jesus. Jesus told him to come down for He intended to stay with Zacchaeus – who was delighted. The people grumbled, but Zacchaeus said he’d give half his goods to the poor and give back 4 times everything he had misappropriated. Jesus acknowledged Zacchaeus’ repentance and Salvation, then told a parable – because the people thought the Kingdom of God would come immediately- of a nobleman going to a far country to receive a kingdom, and giving ten servants a mina each to trade with on his behalf while he was gone. Many didn’t want the nobleman to become king. When the (new) king returned he gave each of his servants authority over cities according to how much they had made his mina increase; but one servant had done nothing except keep his mina safe, so the king gave that mina to the servant who’d gained most. Then he had those who rejected him, as king over them, killed.

Application? – Am I eager to be able to know Jesus? Am I always delighted to welcome Jesus to every area of my life? Has my life demonstrated true repentance like Zacchaeus’, enabling me to receive Salvation? Do I continue to repent of all thoughts and actions that would displease the Lord? What do I do with the abilities the Lord has given me? Have I always done my best to use them effectively in His Service? Do I welcome, or reject, the Lord’s reign over every area of my life?

Frances
Apr 15th 2010, 04:51 PM
Luke 19:28 - 47

What does the text say? – Near Bethpage and Bethany on the Mount of Olives Jesus sent two of His disciples to fetch a donkey colt, that had never been ridden, they would find at the entrance to the village opposite. Jesus rode the colt into Jerusalem over garments put on the ground and with the crowd loudly rejoicing and praising God, saying/singing “Blessed is He who comes in the Name of the Lord. Peace in heaven and glory in the highest.” Some Pharisees told Jesus to rebuke the crowd, but He would not. Going down the hill, seeing Jerusalem over the Kidron valley, Jesus wept and prophesied it’s future destruction, because they didn’t know the time of their visitation. Jesus went into the Temple and drove out those who were selling saying “It is written ‘My house is a house of prayer’ but you have made it into a den of thieves”. Jesus taught in the Temple each day, and the chief Priests, scribes and leaders of the people plotted to kill Him, but could do nothing because of the crowds surrounding Him.

Application? – Do I publicly and joyfully follow Jesus? That an unbroken colt allowed itself to be ridden, over garments on the ground, among a shouting crowd, is absolutely amazing! Does public demonstration of the Joy of Jesus’ disciples upset me? Do I think a relationship with Him must be quiet and reverent at all times? (or that powerful amplifiers are necessary?) Jesus’ prophecy was fulfilled in AD70. I may not suffer immediately if I disregard Jesus’ Divinity, but . . . Am I involved in making money in a ‘house of God’? If so, might it be wise to reconsider? Does the obvious presence of Jesus’ disciples ensure God’s will is done in God’s time and in His Way?

Frances
Apr 16th 2010, 07:01 PM
Luke 20:1-20

What does the text say? – The chief priests, elders and scribes confronted Jesus as He preached and taught in the Temple, demanding to know who gave Him the Authority for what He did. Instead of answering them Jesus asked them where John’s authority to baptise came from, heaven or men; they wouldn’t say, so He said neither would He tell them where His Authority came from. Then Jesus told a parable of a man who leased his vineyard to some vinedressers who did not give his due to his servants, so the owner sent his son. As the vinedressers killed his son the owner of the vineyard would destroy the vinedressers. The listeners protested so Jesus asked what the Scripture meant “The stone the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone”, saying everyone who stumbles over that stone will be broken to pieces and it will crush anyone who it falls on. The chief priests and scribes wanted to arrest Jesus as they knew He spoke against them, but they feared the people’s reaction, so they sent spies to try to find something to cause the Roman Governor to arrest Jesus.

Application? – Do I know where Jesus’ Authority comes from? Where do I think John the Baptist’s authority came from? Would I be wise to sometimes ask a question instead of answering a question addressed to me? Do I pay Almighty God what I owe Him? Will God have reason to take revenge on me for treating His servants shamefully? Do I deserve to be broken or crushed by Jesus Christ? Do I try to appear ‘pure’ while getting others to do my ‘dirty work’ for me?

Frances
Apr 17th 2010, 06:30 PM
Luke 20:21-47

What does the text say? – Spies from the Chief Priests and Scribes told Jesus they knew He taught the truth of God, so was it right to pay taxes to Ceasar or not? Jesus knew they were trying to trap Him, so asked to see a denarius and asked them whose image it portrayed; they answered ‘Ceasars’. Jesus told them to give Ceasar what was his, and give God what was His, which silenced them. Sadducees discount a resurrection, so asked Jesus if there were seven brothers who each, in turn, married the same woman and died childless, whose wife she would be in the resurrection. Jesus replied that in heaven there is no marriage, and that God made clear in the ‘burning bush’ passage of Scripture that there is a resurrection and He is the God of the living and not the dead. Jesus asked how the Christ could be the Son of David when David called Him ‘Lord’? then, in front of the crowd He told His disciples to beware of the Scribes who liked to have the best of everything, which was paid for by charging those in need to (pretend to) pray for them.

Application? – Do I give God everything He has the right to expect from me? Worship? Honour? Money? Ability? Time etc? Do I pay all the taxes I owe? Do I fully realise I will be resurrected, and the results of being Judged by God for either trusting and being faithful to Jesus Christ or disregarding Him? Or do I hope the resurrection is a fallacy? Do I ever say what sounds like a lovely prayer in public without any of it coming from my heart? Have I ever accepted money in exchange for prayers, directly or indirectlly?

Frances
Apr 18th 2010, 06:27 PM
Luke 21:1-19

What does the text say? – Jesus saw rich people putting gifts into the Temple treasury, He also saw a poor widow putting in very little, and said she had given more than anyone else as she had given all she had to live on. When people spoke of the expensive decorations of the Temple Jesus they, and the Temple would be destroyed; He was asked when that would be and what would indicate it was about to happen. Jesus said it is important not to be deceived by those claiming to be Him, and not to be terrified by wars and ‘commotions’ as the end will not come immediately. There will be wars, earthquakes, famines, pestilences and fearful sights from heaven, but before that His people will be persecuted which will give them the opportunity to give testimony of Him, but they must not decide what to say in advance as He will put the right words into their mouths. His servants will be betrayed and hated, even by parents and siblings, and some will be killed.

Application? – What percentage of my income do I give to the Lord’s Work? Do I contribute to expensive furnishings or to Saving souls? Do I do all I am able to ensure there will always be sufficient for my future needs? Do I share the Gospel with the urgency I would if I knew I’d die tomorrow?

Frances
Apr 19th 2010, 06:14 PM
Luke 21:20 - 38

What does the text say? – Jesus said that when Jerusalem is surrounded by armies her destruction is near, and all those in Judea must flee to the hills, those in Jerusalem must get out, and those outside stay out. That is the time when scripture will be fulfilled and the people will suffer; they will be killed or become captives and Jerusalem will be taken over by Gentiles, but not for ever. Strange things will happen to the sun, moon and stars, and on earth nations will be in turmoil and be perplexed by roaring seas and strange tides, the powers in the Heavens will be shaken – then the Son of Man will be seen coming in a cloud with Power and great Glory. When these begin to happen the Salvation of those who belong to Jesus Christ is near. Then Jesus told a parable of a fig tree and said Heaven and earth will pass away but His Words will not. His disciples must not be taken unawares, for that day will come on every person on earth, they must keep alert and pray to remain faithful to the Son of Man. At night He went to the Mount of Olives.

Application? – What happens to Jerusalem is the End Times barometer. Do I pray for the peace of Jerusalem?(Ps. 122:6). Are the tsunamis and earthquakes etc. we witness an indication that the Salvation of Jesus’ disciples is near? Does He regard me as one of His disciples or just a ‘follower’? Will I remain faithful to Him to the end? Do I trust, and act on, all that He said? Do I neglect prayer? Could I be more faithful to Him in some way? Would I be wise to be?

Frances
Apr 20th 2010, 05:53 PM
Luke 22:1-23

What does the text say? – Judas offered to betray Jesus to the Chief Priests, for a consideration, when the crowds were not present. On the day of Unleavened bread, when the Passover lamb must be killed, Jesus sent Peter and John to prepare for His Passover meal with His Apostles. When the time came He said He had looked forward to this meal with them before He suffered; He gave thanks for the wine and gave it to the 12 to drink between them, saying He would not drink any until the Kingdom of God had come. Then Jesus gave thanks for the bread, broke it and gave it to them, saying it represented His body broken for them, and they must do likewise in memory of Him. After they’d eaten Jesus took the cup of wine saying it represented the New Covenant ratified in His shed blood. Jesus said the one who would betray Him was with Him at the table; the Son of Man would certainly die as had formerly been decided, but how awful to be the one to betray Him.

Application? – Have I ever betrayed Jesus in any way? Would I betray Him to gain some apparent advantage for myself? Do I go, and do, whatever Jesus tells me? When I partake of the Eucharist/Communion Service is it just ‘something I do in church’, or a thoughtful reminder of all Jesus suffered to enable me to receive God’s Forgiveness for my Sin, and a time of communion with my Lord? Do I appear to be a Christian but have my own agenda? if so I may get more than I bargained for!

Frances
Apr 21st 2010, 05:32 PM
Luke 22:24-38

What does the text say? – The Apostles argued at supper regarding which of them was the greatest. Jesus told them the greatest serves and obeys, just as He served; and just as His Father granted Him a Kingdom, so He granted them the right to eat and drink at His Table in His Kingdom and to judge the 12 tribes of Israel. Jesus said Satan had asked to ‘sift them as wheat’ but He had prayed for them that their faith would not fail, so when Simon returned to Him he must strengthen the others. Peter indignantly proclaimed his loyalty but Jesus said that before next dawn he would deny that he knew Jesus three times. Jesus reminded them that when He sent them out to preach the Good News with no provisions they had lacked nothing, but now they would need provisions and protection, for everything written about Him by the prophets would come true.

Application? – Am I concerned with being ‘Somebody’ among God’s people? Do I serve others with humility? Do I always obey the Lord? Do I want to rule over others? Am I ever tempted to deny that Jesus is my Lord and Master? If I have failed Jesus that way in the past do I encourage those who have, similarly failed Him? Do I provide, as much as I am able, for those doing the Lord’s Work? When I am engaged in evangelistic mission do I expect to be provided for, or am I prepared to provide for myself? Almost everything the Old Testament prophets wrote about the Messiah has come true.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “The Passover had served it’s purpose and had now given place to the new Memorial Supper, which was to be kept in loving remembrance of Jesus until He comes again (1 Corinthians 11:26).

Frances
Apr 22nd 2010, 05:00 PM
Luke 22:39-71

What does the text say? – After supper Jesus went, as was His custom, to the Mount of Olives; and His disciples followed Him. At Gethsemene Jesus told them to pray that they wouldn’t give in to temptation, then went ‘a stone’s throw’(about 20yds?) away from them and prayed that God would release Him from what was to come if possible, but also saying that He would do God’s Will. An angel strengthened Jesus, but His mental agony was so great that His sweat was falling to the ground as blood. Jesus found His disciples sleeping instead of praying. Judas led a crowd to them and went to kiss Jesus; one of His disciples cut off the ear of the High Priest’s servant with a sword, but Jesus Healed it and asked those who had come for Him why they treated Him as a robber when He had been in the Temple each day. They took Jesus to the High Priest’s house, Peter followed and denied 3 times that he knew Jesus before the cock crowed. Jesus looked at Peter who wept bitterly. Jesus was mocked and beaten, and agreed that He was the Son of God when asked, which the High Priest said was blaspheme.

Application? – Do I have a habit of prayer? Do I pray for strength? Do I resist temptation or give in to it? Do I pray for God’s Will to be done in my life however painful it may be for me? Am I compassionate to others even when in dire straights myself? It might be God’s Will to allow me to be treated badly, if so will I still honour Him? Have I denied knowing Jesus? Or worse, encouraged others to consider me a Christian yet treat Christ, or His Word, with contempt?

Frances
Apr 23rd 2010, 04:58 PM
Luke 23:1-31

What does the text say? – Jesus was taken to Pilate by the entire Council (Chief Priests and Scribes) and accused of perverting the nation and saying taxes should not be paid to Caesar, and saying He is Christ, a king. Pilate asked Jesus if He was the King of the Jews, and He said He was. When Pilate heard Jesus came from Galilee he sent Him to Herod, who was pleased to see Him, hoping to see a miracle; he questioned Jesus who kept silent. The Council vehemently accused Jesus, then Herod mocked Him and sent Him back to Pilate who intended setting Him free, but the crowd shouted for Jesus to be crucified, so Pilate agreed and released a murderer instead. Simon of Cyrene was forced to carry Jesus’ Cross. A great crowd followed, including women mourning and lamenting, but Jesus said they should weep for themselves and their children instead, for Evil times were coming.

Application? – Have I ever accused Jesus wrongly? Do I always tell the Truth when it will ensure I suffer? Do I stick up for myself when mocked? Or keep silent? Do I go along with the crowd, or stand up for what I know to be right? Do I, and my life, help Jesus or cause Him pain? Do I make a show of distress regarding the torture and killing of Christians, or regularly pray for their protection and contribute for their, and their family’s well-being and encourage others to do likewise?

Quote (Henry H. Halley) “Jesus said on the way to Calvary ‘weep not for Me but for yourselves and your children’(:28) which seems to be an echo of the murderous words they had just heard (Matt.27:25) and Oh, how His Blood has been on them through all these centuries!!

Frances
Apr 24th 2010, 06:27 PM
Luke 23:32-56

What does the text say? – On Friday Jesus, and 2 criminals, were crucified one on His right and one on His left. Jesus asked God to Forgive His persecutors, as they didn’t know of their Sin. Jesus was mocked, by the public and one of the criminals. A sign proclaimed Him ‘King of the Jews’. One criminal believed Jesus was God, the other thought if He was God He would save them all from their present pain. At noon the whole land was dark for 3 hours; the thick curtain in the Temple screening the ‘most Holy place’ was torn from top to bottom(Matt. 27:51). Then Jesus shouted “Father, into Your Hand I commit my spirit” and died. The centurion said He was Righteous. Joseph of Arimathea, a member of the Council but had not agreed to the death of Jesus, asked Pilate for His body, wrapped it in linen and put it in a new tomb, watched by some of Jesus’ female friends. The next day was the Sabbath when no work could be done.

Application? – Do I, wholeheartedly, ask God to Forgive those who hurt me badly? Have I ever mocked Jesus? Do I believe Jesus is God? Do I assume that, as God, Jesus will release me from each painful situation I find myself in? The torn veil indicates that God is no longer only available to His people once a year through the High Priest, but to everyone through the blood of Jesus. Will I be as delighted to commit my spirit to Almighty God as Jesus was? What do I publicly, yet quietly, do for Jesus? Do I keep Sunday as special as the Jews kept/keep the Sabbath?

Frances
Apr 25th 2010, 06:49 PM
Luke 24

What does the text say? - Very early on Sunday Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary (James’ mother) and some other women, took spices they had prepared to the tomb, and found it empty. Two angels appeared and asked why they looked for the Living among the dead, because Jesus had Risen as He said He would. The women went and told the Apostles who thought they talked nonsense. Peter (and John, Jn. 20:3-8) ran to the tomb and saw the empty linen wrappings. That day two of Jesus’ disciples were on the road to Emmaus, discussing what had happened, when Jesus joined them and asked why they were so sad, but they didn’t recognise Him. Amazed their fellow traveller didn’t know of Jesus crucifixion they told Him the details and that His tomb was now empty. Starting at the beginning of the Old Testament Jesus explained all the Scriptures referring to Himself. The two men invited Him to stay with them; at the table Jesus Blessed and broke the bread, as they recognised Him He vanished; so they went straight back to tell the other disciples. Jesus appeared in the room and asked why they had doubted that He was Risen, proved His body was real, enabled them to understand the Scriptures, said they were to preach repentance and Forgiveness of Sins in His Name to all nations and that He would send “the Promise of the Father” (Pentecost) – the Power to preach in His Name – and they must stay in Jerusalem until they had received it first. Jesus led them to Bethany where, while He was Blessing them, He rose into heaven. The disciples were constantly in the Temple praising and blessing God.

Application? – Do I trust Jesus Christ implicitly? Or do I disbelieve in Him unless I have miraculous proof? Do I always share the Good News about Jesus with others? Have I received the Promise of God - been filled with the Power of His Holy Spirit at my personal Pentecost? If not, why not? His Power is available to all those cleansed by His Blood, who trust Jesus and are determined to obey Him.