PDA

View Full Version : Uncleanness

miepie
Mar 6th 2010, 07:35 AM
I got this in an emailsubscription to a daily email about how to apply the Bible to your life.....

Matthew 9:20-22
And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of blood twelve years, came behind him, and touched the hem of his garment: [21] For she said within herself, If I may but touch his garment, I shall be whole. [22] But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.

We are currently doing the Bible in one year-plan and we just finished Exodus and Leviticus and are now in Numbers. We read in Exodus/Leviticus that a woman with an issue of blood was unclean and had to be without the camp. I don't know how they did that when they were cities, whether she was sent outside of the city too, but in any case she was unclean......
Everything she touches or who/which touched her became unclean..... When she touched Jesus, did He become unclean too? :confused

Love you all,
Mieke :kiss:

RevLogos
Mar 6th 2010, 08:38 AM
We are all but filthy rags, and Jesus is the detergent. I'm sure the Pharisees would say Jesus was made unclean. Of course they were always complaining that He didn't follow the rules and hung out with sinners. But it is the meek who will inherit the Kingdom, the unclean who need the doctor, and God's wisdom will always confound the wise of the world.

One thing fascinates me about this Miracle. In the same story, beginning in Mark 5:24 and also Luke 8:43, it says Jesus didn't realize she touched him until he felt "power" leave him. Its the only Miracle I can think of that Jesus didn't consciously do.

crossnote
Mar 6th 2010, 09:49 AM
When she touched Jesus, did He become unclean too?

Nope. Sin, disease, death and satan had no power over the Sinless One.

miepie
Mar 6th 2010, 09:54 AM
My husband said that she might not have been a practising Jew, so that she wasn't counted as unclean....... like the Jewish ladies that needed to stay outside of the camp/city when they were unclean.......

Love you all,

crossnote
Mar 6th 2010, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure, weren't the Gentiles considered 'unclean' de facto?

goykodesh
Mar 6th 2010, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure, weren't the Gentiles considered 'unclean' de facto?

Not by God's laws.

JohnDB
Mar 7th 2010, 11:07 PM
I got this in an emailsubscription to a daily email about how to apply the Bible to your life.....

Matthew 9:20-22
And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of blood twelve years, came behind him, and touched the hem of his garment: [21] For she said within herself, If I may but touch his garment, I shall be whole. [22] But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.

We are currently doing the Bible in one year-plan and we just finished Exodus and Leviticus and are now in Numbers. We read in Exodus/Leviticus that a woman with an issue of blood was unclean and had to be without the camp. I don't know how they did that when they were cities, whether she was sent outside of the city too, but in any case she was unclean......
Everything she touches or who/which touched her became unclean..... When she touched Jesus, did He become unclean too? :confused

Love you all,

First you have to understand that "hem of his garment" is a really poor translation of what was meant by this. It is accurate but it isn't the actual intent of the scripture.

What she touched was his prayer shawl or rabbi shawl. (whatever you wish to call it)

What this is is a piece of white cloth with a blue thread running through it. There are 613 tassles on each end of it(Representing all 613 of the laws) which are tied into six bundles....between which there are five spaces. Each space is symbolic of the five books of Moses. It is what all of the rabbi wore...and identified Jesus as a rabbi to the general public.

It was to fulfill a biblical prophesy concerning the messiah. Many of the modern day movies show this shawl on Jesus as either a head covering or a shawl....which the shawl would serve as both.

It also could become a "prayer Closet" when it was wrapped about the head with your arms...kinda like a shower curtain of sorts....and there...standing up you would say your prayers while shutting out the rest of the world.
(Jesus did say something about those standing in the marketplace making loud prayers...and he was referring to the pharisees who were known for being in their "prayer closet" in very public places...it was contrasted with the "tax collector" who sprawled out on the floor getting all dirty and crying and beating his breast (a sign of true repentance to them in their culture)...

But...
in the meantime...
What I wouldn't give to touch the tassels of his prayer shawl myself...Maybe one day.