PDA

View Full Version : 1 Corinthians 15:3-7

GreekAsianPanda
Mar 6th 2010, 07:37 PM
"For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundren of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles," --1 Corinthians 15:3-7, NIV

I've heard that this dates back very early (I don't quite remember how early; five years after the crucifixion, is it?). How do we know this? Why do scholars date this creed to be from such an early date?

Thanks =)

Bandit
Mar 6th 2010, 07:59 PM
Hello,

First, I am not sure why someone would call this a "creed". But, the sentence itself points to a very early date - most of the eyewitnesses of His resurrection being still alive. I'm not sure if we could force it a within the 5 year mark, but it is probably no more than about 20 years after the reserrection. An expert might be able to pin the letter's date down better.