PDA

View Full Version : Is Jer. talking about being single in this 1 verse?

tmentour
Mar 10th 2010, 03:37 AM
Jer 32:39-I will give them singleness of heart and action, so that they will always fear me for their own good and the good of their children after them.

Why does it use the word "singleness"?

-SEEKING-
Mar 10th 2010, 03:43 AM
Look at it in ESV "39 I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear me forever, for their own good and the good of their children after them." And if you read the whole section you can see it's referring to single as in one direction. Not divided.

Frecs
Mar 10th 2010, 03:44 AM
Jer 32:39-I will give them singleness of heart and action, so that they will always fear me for their own good and the good of their children after them.

No, dear one, this isn't about marrying. He's talking about their mindset. Try this translation:

Young's Literal Translation: "and I have given to them one heart, and one way, to fear Me all the days, for good to them, and to their sons after them:"

Why the word "singleness"? "Singleness" means more than one's marital status. In this case its about the focus of the heart and mind.

There are verses about singleness and I happen to believe there is a "gift" of singleness that some are given but this isn't one of them.

IMINXTC
Mar 10th 2010, 03:46 AM
Certainly, singleness of heart pertains to integrity, or consitsency of values and actions, but has no bearing on the marital state. The term, singleness, does not stand on it's own here, but is an essential part of the complete phrase:singleness of heart.

roaring tiger
Mar 10th 2010, 10:06 AM

Hi!!!tmentour greetings;
No,my friends sister Frecs is right and do not pertain for any individual to remain single.You can find
the clear context of it by including the first two verse 37 & 38.Behold I will gather them out of all countries,whither I have driven them in my anger, and in my fury, and in great wrath; and I will
bring them again unto this place,and I will cause them to dwell safely.
v.38] And they shall be my people, and I will be their God.
Heb.10:16-17 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days,saith the Lord, I will
put my laws into their hearts,and in their minds will I write them;
v.17] And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
Zep.3:9 For then I will turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of
the Lord,to serve him with one consent.
Thanks and many blessing.
in love of Christ./RT.