PDA

View Full Version : Nature of Religion and Beliefs Interview

tom123
Mar 10th 2010, 12:25 PM
Hey all,

I am a high school student from Sydney, Australia and go to a Christian School. For a religion assignment I have to interview an individual who is an adherent of one of the five major religious traditions and ask how their faith impacts on their life. If anyone could answer the following few questions regarding their faith, it would be very much appreciated.

1: What do you believe about God?
2: What do you think is the most important characteristics of religion?
3: In what ways does religion provide meaning and purpose for you?
4: Do you see religious action or practice as an important aspect of being religious?
5: Name the religious practices you engage in.
6: What encourages your faith? What gives you faith?
7: Why do you think you have kept your faith when many have lost theirs?
8: How does religion influence your daily life?
9: How do sacred texts such as the Bible help strengthen your faith?

I apologise if this isn't exactly the correct board for this, but it was the closest I could find. Thank you for your time, it is very much appreciated.

Frecs
Mar 10th 2010, 04:58 PM
Hi Tom, I hope this helps:

I believe that there is only one God, Jehovah. I believe God is eternally existent as the Trinity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. I believe that God is everywhere at once, all knowing, holy. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God (second member of the Godhead) who took on human form to be born of a virgin, he performed miracles, was crucified, died, rose bodily on the third day, ascended to heaven where he provided the blood sacrifice for my sins. I believe the Holy Spirit indwells believers.

Helping us find purpose. Gives us a way to be better than we can be on our own.

My faith is a relationship with a loving, merciful, gracious Father God. It teaches me who I am in Him. I find my value in a relationship with Him.

4: Do you see religious action or practice as an important aspect of being religious?
If you are asking if certain practices, such as scripture reading, church attendance, and prayer, are important to my faith, yes. As I said, my faith is about relationship. One can not have a relationship that one is not willing to spend time developing. Spiritual disciplines such as scripture reading, church attendance, prayer, fasting, worship, and meditation are tangible ways that development that relationship.

5: Name the religious practices you engage in. prayer, fasting, church attendance, giving (money and time), worship, scripture reading and memorization, meditation, exercising the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ. (Romans 10:17) Our faith is formed and developed by hearing the word preached and by reading the word of God ourselves. Faith is also a gift of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:9).

Because my faith has been tried by the fire of trials and tribulations as gold is refined in the fire, so my faith is refined and purified through the fire.

My faith influences every thing I do. It influences how I think, talk, interact. It affects the choices I make. It is the core of who I am and who I am becoming.

9: How do sacred texts such as the Bible help strengthen your faith? The Bible is THE sacred text. It is God-breathed. It teaches, rebukes, corrects, teaches how to live righteously so that one can be effectively equipped for life and ministry.

Athanasius
Mar 10th 2010, 05:26 PM

I believe there is one God, who is a God of love, a claim no other religion makes or can make (it is a "Christian exclusive" claim on account of the Trinitarian nature of God). I believe God created us, and that we were meant to be in relationship with Him, but because of sin, we aren't. I believe God is omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent and omnibenevolent. I further believe that God through Jesus Christ we are adopted back into the family of God. I believe that God is exclusive, that if we don't believe in and follow Jesus Christ, then we are not in communion with God.

That it be true.

It tells me why I was created, and what I was created for.

Depends what you mean, but I'll assume that for the most part, yes.

5: Name the religious practices you engage in.

Providing for the poor, caring for others (i.e. widows); evangelism, church attendence, worship... thinking critically, etc.

God, and reason.

They didn't really have it. I asked.

It is my life.

9: How do sacred texts such as the Bible help strengthen your faith?

Jesus rose from the dead. There are few things more important than this.