PDA

View Full Version : adding to Scripture

motormouf
Mar 12th 2010, 07:42 PM
can someone please explain to me what exactly adding to Scritpure entails? Obviously if i were to write a version of the Bible or parts of it and insert stuff that wasnt there or contrary to it that would qualify. But what about media based on Scripture. Many song, movies and plays etc base themselves on Bible stories (etc the Little drummer boy,Ben Hur etc) while not exactly changing up Scripture they use the info involved into it and create an entire different story. I say this because of a disagreememt i had with someone.

I'm a writer and the vast majority of my work is Scripture/ Christian based. So one time i was discussing ideas for a skit we'd be doing about the Prodigal Son, so I suggested why not make the older brother seriously dislike the younger one or e disdainful of him the other person found a problem with it seeing it as adding to Scripture. I disagreed since

it was simply adding character to the characters,
The Bible makes no reference to how the 2 brothers related to each other, as a matter of fact they don’t actually interact in the story at all.
By writing a script on a poem, an artist doenst add to scripture since the original Scripture remains unchanged. So to me as long as we do not make up facts about Biblical characters which are disrespectful or anti_ Christian (ie like how Family guy, South park or the da vinci code does) i think its nothing wrong being done.

To give an example of what stuff i'd write- one plan was about some travellers who went to see baby Jesus but got there too late, so they went now ;looking for Him as an adult, on the way, they'd meet certain characters who were involved in Jesus' earthly ministry. - people He healed, a few of the disciples, Mary Magdelene etc.Jesus would not be seen (due to reverence and the difficulty of portraying Him) None of the actual Biblical events would be shown (crucifixion etc) the plot would occur before or after them. and of course they'd be a Biblical principle taught throughout it. So i'm a little unsure. would that count as adding to Scripture?

Frecs
Mar 12th 2010, 08:12 PM
To me, "adding to scripture" is if you were to write something and say that it was on the same level of authority as the Bible. If you were to revise passages and say that your interpretation was the right one and all others were wrong, that would also be adding to or changing.

Any time someone does a skit or theatrical rendition of a biblical story, they are going to have to add to it because most stories are very "sketchy".

crossnote
Mar 13th 2010, 01:29 AM
Remember, many people today are biblically illiterate, so you can't assume they know the real mc coy from an altered one. So when you do interpretive or embellished writing on the bible just make sure your 'audience' is well aware that it has changes in it.

Radagast
Mar 13th 2010, 06:00 AM
I'm a writer and the vast majority of my work is Scripture/ Christian based. So one time i was discussing ideas for a skit we'd be doing about the Prodigal Son, so I suggested why not make the older brother seriously dislike the younger one or e disdainful of him the other person found a problem with it seeing it as adding to Scripture. I disagreed since

That's not adding to Scripture. Done well, this sort of thing can be very good. But you have to (1) fully understand the Scripture passage, and not change the meaning and (2) you have to have a true novelist's understanding of people (the younger asked his father for his inheritance, and set off for a distant country -- what kind of person would do that, and why?). The radio drama The Man Born to be King (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Born_To_Be_King) is an example where it's done quite well, in my opinion.

Some Christians had a problem with The Man Born to be King, though, and a safer option (as some Christian novelists have done in the past) is to only interact with minor characters (The Robe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Robe) is a famous example).

But I don't understand how you can have "some travellers who went to see baby Jesus but got there too late." Who would be doing that? One option is to use a time machine that's trying to get to Bethlehem (but malfunctions and arrives many years too late). A better idea is an extra "wise man" who suffers a serious injury on the trip. For example, he could fall and hit his head, and lose his memory for 30 years. When his memory comes back, he decides to go to Palestine anyway.

motormouf
Mar 13th 2010, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE=Radagast;2365455]That's not adding to Scripture. Done well, this sort of thing can be very good. But you have to (1) fully understand the Scripture passage, and not change the meaning and (2) you have to have a true novelist's understanding of people (the younger asked his father for his inheritance, and set off for a distant country -- what kind of person would do that, and why?). The radio drama The Man Born to be King (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Born_To_Be_King) is an example where it's done quite well, in my opinion.

Some Christians had a problem with The Man Born to be King, though, and a safer option (as some Christian novelists have done in the past) is to only interact with minor characters (The Robe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Robe) is a famous example).

But I don't understand how you can have "some travellers who went to see baby Jesus but got there too late." Who would be doing that? One option is to use a time machine that's trying to get to Bethlehem (but malfunctions and arrives many years too late). A better idea is an extra "wise man" who suffers a serious injury on the trip. For example, he could fall and hit his head, and lose his memory for 30 years. When his memory comes back, he decides to go to Palestine anyway.[/QUOTE

I had it that a group of other wise men came to see Him in Bethlehem but read the map wrong, got lost in the desert for 33 years and now go looking for the Messiah only to learn He is a man now. So they basically walk thru the Easter events.

Firstfruits
Mar 13th 2010, 04:11 PM
can someone please explain to me what exactly adding to Scritpure entails? Obviously if i were to write a version of the Bible or parts of it and insert stuff that wasnt there or contrary to it that would qualify. But what about media based on Scripture. Many song, movies and plays etc base themselves on Bible stories (etc the Little drummer boy,Ben Hur etc) while not exactly changing up Scripture they use the info involved into it and create an entire different story. I say this because of a disagreememt i had with someone.

The Bible makes no reference to how the 2 brothers related to each other, as a matter of fact they don’t actually interact in the story at all.
By writing a script on a poem, an artist doenst add to scripture since the original Scripture remains unchanged. So to me as long as we do not make up facts about Biblical characters which are disrespectful or anti_ Christian (ie like how Family guy, South park or the da vinci code does) i think its nothing wrong being done.
To give an example of what stuff i'd write- one plan was about some travellers who went to see baby Jesus but got there too late, so they went now ;looking for Him as an adult, on the way, they'd meet certain characters who were involved in Jesus' earthly ministry. - people He healed, a few of the disciples, Mary Magdelene etc.Jesus would not be seen (due to reverence and the difficulty of portraying Him) None of the actual Biblical events would be shown (crucifixion etc) the plot would occur before or after them. and of course they'd be a Biblical principle taught throughout it. So i'm a little unsure. would that count as adding to Scripture?

According to the following it is being or teaching contrary to that which we have been given in the gospel.

Rom 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

1 Tim 1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

Tit 2:8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Jemand
Mar 13th 2010, 07:39 PM

Perhaps you are thinking of this passage in Revelation, the last book in the Bible.

Rev. 22:18. I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book;
19. and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book. (NASB, 1995)

At the time that this book of the New Testament was written, there were no “Bibles” or “New Testaments,” but only individual scrolls, and the forbidding to add to the words of “the prophesy of this book” refers, therefore, exclusively to the Book of Revelation. Therefore, we do not find in the Bible a prohibition against adding to the Bible, and most Bibles sold today include additions such as a copyright page, a table of contents, and a preface. They also include chapter, paragraph, and verse designations, all of which are additions to the original Biblical texts. Most of them also include headers indicating the subjects treated on each page containing Biblical text. Study Bibles typically include a concordance, maps, introductions to each book of the Bible, cross-reference, etc. However, although these additions are bound within the cover of the Bible, they are, except for the chapter, paragraph, and verse designations, separated from the Biblical text.

In addition to the Bible, we also have very numerous supplemental works such as Bible story books, movies, plays, paintings and other illustrations, devotional books, commentaries, books of sermons, and seemingly no end of theological works, etc. All of these supplemental works are good, in my opinion, as long as they are presented as supplemental works rather than the Scriptures themselves, and as long as they do not add fictional or incorrect information to the message of the Bible.

Movies and plays present major challenges to the writers and production staff because of the need to add costumes, scenery, lighting and a story line. Therefore, very much care must be exercised to avoid adding any details that might influence the audience to see the movie or play in a less accurate manner than the Scriptures themselves.

Butch5
Mar 13th 2010, 09:18 PM

The Bible makes no reference to how the 2 brothers related to each other, as a matter of fact they donít actually interact in the story at all.

I believe what John was referring to was Gnosticism. There were groups who claimed to be Christian yet they basically taught different doctrines. One teaching was that it was the spirit of man that was to be saved and not the body. They believed one was saved by attaining knowledge (Gnosis). Many of these false teachers claimed that they had additional revelation from the apostles that was not given to others. Many of them rewrote parts of the apostles letters to fit their own teachings. I believe it is this that John is speaking of.

Radagast
Mar 13th 2010, 09:41 PM
I had it that a group of other wise men came to see Him in Bethlehem but read the map wrong, got lost in the desert for 33 years and now go looking for the Messiah only to learn He is a man now. So they basically walk thru the Easter events.

It's a long time to be lost. Wouldn't they starve or something?

CRJarvis
Mar 13th 2010, 10:14 PM
if you are going to make a story that is based off of the bible i would make sure you put that this is based off the book or books you are using.
a disclaimer saying so.
as for what I think that adding to the bible means well any translation of it is adding things to it.
and a translation is a persons interpretation of what it said in its original Language.

If you are changing the message that is in the bible and clamming it to be the real message and you know that your work is not true, then you are in trouble.

Now if you are trying to make a translation of it that shows another side of the Original text that another translation does not. Yet you keep the message over all in tacked, and you are doing this in as true way as possible. We know God is a Just God, and he knows what is in your heart.

But for a story based off of the facts and not being sold for the Real story. I think it would be ok,

but for one thing. God gave his word as a gift for free. And freely we have received it, freely we should give it.