PDA

View Full Version : Was my baptism real?

ClayInHisHands
Mar 14th 2010, 03:52 PM
There is a current topic being addressed in another thread on baptism. So as to not distract from that one, I’m starting this one.

I grew up in a Christian/moral home and Christian extended family(one set of my grandparents and great grandparents were officers in the Salvation Army and my dad and mom grew up in that church together. I attended their quite regularly until the first part of 4th grade. I was raised with a very good set of moral values and I knew who Jesus was and believed about his work on the cross. In the middle of 4th grade we moved to another city and away from where my grandmother and aunts lived and as the older we got we began to visit family once in awhile and on holidays. I didn’t attend church from around 1983-1994. I went a couple of times to a friends church….but it was more of a fashion show church and filled with hypocritical people who said one thing in church and their actions were the opposite. My parents began going back to church in 1993.

As I said, I always believed that Jesus is the son of God and believed the price he paid for my sins…but I never really understood what it meant to be a Christian and never gave my self completely to Christ. I was young and all I cared about was making music.
In 1994 I met a girl whom I dated a few months and her father was a pastor at a local church. Ironically, she and her mother attended another church. Which I could not figure for the life of me why they would not attend their father/husbands own church...both of their churches were both the same denomination also.
I began attending their church a handful of times and began to hear more of the salvation message at an older age and recognize my need for Jesus in my life. I accepted Christ and was baptized in another service. I pretty much lived my life the same way after awhile, but I felt different. My attitude towards a lot of things changed, but I didn’t let go completely.
My friends gave me a hard time at first when we talked about church. I know they probably had reservations because they knew the church I went to, but not just my church…..they knew a whole slew of people who went to church…their grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles. I know they seen a lot of hypocrisy in the church too…so they used that excuse as a way to stay away. I believe I probably did this after awhile too. Now I mentioned my mom and dad started attending church again…but I would barely see my parents that much…well, simply because I lived on my own.
In 1999 I met my wife….she was raised catholic…but not hardcore or anything. Sometime in 2000 we attended a revival at my mom and dads church. My wife got saved and was baptized. All through this I believed I was saved because I believe Jesus died for my sins and I began to understand more of what it meant to trust Him as savior. I still did things as far as drink and get drunk occasionally. We didn’t go out to clubs or anything…just in our own home when we would cookout or hang out with some friends playing card games, etc. We began attending church and in 2001 I rededicated my life to Christ. We moved back closer to my wife’s family in 2002. We didn’t start attending a church until 2004 regularly.

At one point I prayed for God to help me with my foul mouth. I stopped cussing for a long time. We continued going to church until early 2008...there was some huge issue with people trying to push the pastor out and bickering going on amongst other members(we weren’t bickering…but it began to take a toll on us and we became angry with all the hypocrisy. We moved down to South Carolina towards the end of 2008. We began attending a church here at the beginning of 2009. Instantly I began to feel uncomfortable in this church. Some things they said were biblical, but they began making references to a mega church pastor from T.V. and saying we don’t have a right as Christians to judge him, even if we don’t agree with their doctrine because we don’t know how God has used them. So I felt uncomfortable like he was kind of endorsing him. As we kept attending, I started feeling convicted that something wasn’t right. The pastor used quotes from a pastor involved with Gold dust and angels in their services by the name of Bill Johnson. I did a search and went to this mans website and began looking into what a lot of his books are about and they are not biblical. The series he began was patterned a lot after one of his books.
It’s a lot of new age junk and psychological babble. Psychological babble went on a lot at my church about feeling connected with God. At our men’s meeting the leader of the men’s ministry taught a lesson from a Word Faith pastor almost verbatim….because I went online and did a search and found the study on his website. They seem to mix a lot of different views into a huge pot. We have left the church and haven’t attended since Christmas. I tend to go back and listen to some of the recent services…I think I do this to convince myself that I made the right choice that I felt God was telling us to leave. I adamantly stand by my decision. We are currently not attending a church.
I know I’ve said quite a bit, but I thought it was necessary to provide a back story to move forward.
I’ve always believed that when you get baptized it was an outward showing or profession of accepting Christ. Until recently and sometimes in the past I’ve entertained Acts2:38 among other verses and brushed it off. Because I believed that Salvation comes from believing in Jesus Christ as savior and that he died for my sins so that I could have eternal life. And most importantly, if we can say that, He was raised from the grave and is sitting at the right hand of the throne of God interceding on my behalf. And God is conforming me into the likeness and image of Jesus. Salvation is by the grace of God through faith alone. You believe, you confess and turn from your sins.

I would always encourage anyone to get baptized after they have accepted Christ…but not because it was required for them to be officially saved. Now I don’t think I believe that.
For the sake of arguing if baptism is necessary or not….let’s assume it is. Do I need to be baptized again because when I got baptized I didn’t believe it was for the remission of sins, but for just a public proclamation?
I apologize if my post seems a little bouncy and what not…my kids have been playing in the background and it makes it a little hard to concentrate.

In Christ’s Love

ClayInHisHands
Mar 14th 2010, 03:56 PM
Also after anyone has read this...does it sound like I've never truly been saved. Or does it sound like I'm just going through the motions. Be honest...my eternal soul is at stake. Feel free to ask questions about anything I said to get clarification on anything.

Thanks

In Christ's Love

losthorizon
Mar 14th 2010, 04:56 PM
Do I need to be baptized again because when I got baptized I didn’t believe it was for the remission of sins, but for just a public proclamation?
You propose an excellent but difficult question. It is my understanding that for one’s baptism to be valid proper teaching and understanding must precede the ordinance. The Christian faith is a "learned faith".
No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. (Heb 8:11)

The New Testament is shorter than the Old Testament, because, instead of the details of an outward letter law, it gives the all-embracing principles of the spiritual law written on the conscience, leading one to spontaneous instinctive obedience in outward details. ~ A Commentary on the Old and New Testaments by Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset and David Brown For this reason infant baptism is not valid - infants do not have the capacity to understand the gospel message. Belief, repentance and baptism are all requirements for remission of sins per Peter… “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38). No man can know another man's heart. No man knows what you knew at the point of your baptism – only you and God know. Re-baptism is not unprecedented in the NT.
And it happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the inland country and came to Ephesus. There he found some disciples. And he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said, "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit." And he said, "Into what then were you baptized?" They said, "Into John's baptism." And Paul said, "John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus." On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. (Act 19:1-5 ESV)

Butch5
Mar 14th 2010, 06:06 PM
There is a current topic being addressed in another thread on baptism. So as to not distract from that one, I’m starting this one.

I grew up in a Christian/moral home and Christian extended family(one set of my grandparents and great grandparents were officers in the Salvation Army and my dad and mom grew up in that church together. I attended their quite regularly until the first part of 4th grade. I was raised with a very good set of moral values and I knew who Jesus was and believed about his work on the cross. In the middle of 4th grade we moved to another city and away from where my grandmother and aunts lived and as the older we got we began to visit family once in awhile and on holidays. I didn’t attend church from around 1983-1994. I went a couple of times to a friends church….but it was more of a fashion show church and filled with hypocritical people who said one thing in church and their actions were the opposite. My parents began going back to church in 1993.

As I said, I always believed that Jesus is the son of God and believed the price he paid for my sins…but I never really understood what it meant to be a Christian and never gave my self completely to Christ. I was young and all I cared about was making music.
In 1994 I met a girl whom I dated a few months and her father was a pastor at a local church. Ironically, she and her mother attended another church. Which I could not figure for the life of me why they would not attend their father/husbands own church...both of their churches were both the same denomination also.
I began attending their church a handful of times and began to hear more of the salvation message at an older age and recognize my need for Jesus in my life. I accepted Christ and was baptized in another service. I pretty much lived my life the same way after awhile, but I felt different. My attitude towards a lot of things changed, but I didn’t let go completely.
My friends gave me a hard time at first when we talked about church. I know they probably had reservations because they knew the church I went to, but not just my church…..they knew a whole slew of people who went to church…their grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles. I know they seen a lot of hypocrisy in the church too…so they used that excuse as a way to stay away. I believe I probably did this after awhile too. Now I mentioned my mom and dad started attending church again…but I would barely see my parents that much…well, simply because I lived on my own.
In 1999 I met my wife….she was raised catholic…but not hardcore or anything. Sometime in 2000 we attended a revival at my mom and dads church. My wife got saved and was baptized. All through this I believed I was saved because I believe Jesus died for my sins and I began to understand more of what it meant to trust Him as savior. I still did things as far as drink and get drunk occasionally. We didn’t go out to clubs or anything…just in our own home when we would cookout or hang out with some friends playing card games, etc. We began attending church and in 2001 I rededicated my life to Christ. We moved back closer to my wife’s family in 2002. We didn’t start attending a church until 2004 regularly.

At one point I prayed for God to help me with my foul mouth. I stopped cussing for a long time. We continued going to church until early 2008...there was some huge issue with people trying to push the pastor out and bickering going on amongst other members(we weren’t bickering…but it began to take a toll on us and we became angry with all the hypocrisy. We moved down to South Carolina towards the end of 2008. We began attending a church here at the beginning of 2009. Instantly I began to feel uncomfortable in this church. Some things they said were biblical, but they began making references to a mega church pastor from T.V. and saying we don’t have a right as Christians to judge him, even if we don’t agree with their doctrine because we don’t know how God has used them. So I felt uncomfortable like he was kind of endorsing him. As we kept attending, I started feeling convicted that something wasn’t right. The pastor used quotes from a pastor involved with Gold dust and angels in their services by the name of Bill Johnson. I did a search and went to this mans website and began looking into what a lot of his books are about and they are not biblical. The series he began was patterned a lot after one of his books.
It’s a lot of new age junk and psychological babble. Psychological babble went on a lot at my church about feeling connected with God. At our men’s meeting the leader of the men’s ministry taught a lesson from a Word Faith pastor almost verbatim….because I went online and did a search and found the study on his website. They seem to mix a lot of different views into a huge pot. We have left the church and haven’t attended since Christmas. I tend to go back and listen to some of the recent services…I think I do this to convince myself that I made the right choice that I felt God was telling us to leave. I adamantly stand by my decision. We are currently not attending a church.
I know I’ve said quite a bit, but I thought it was necessary to provide a back story to move forward.
I’ve always believed that when you get baptized it was an outward showing or profession of accepting Christ. Until recently and sometimes in the past I’ve entertained Acts2:38 among other verses and brushed it off. Because I believed that Salvation comes from believing in Jesus Christ as savior and that he died for my sins so that I could have eternal life. And most importantly, if we can say that, He was raised from the grave and is sitting at the right hand of the throne of God interceding on my behalf. And God is conforming me into the likeness and image of Jesus. Salvation is by the grace of God through faith alone. You believe, you confess and turn from your sins.

I would always encourage anyone to get baptized after they have accepted Christ…but not because it was required for them to be officially saved. Now I don’t think I believe that.
For the sake of arguing if baptism is necessary or not….let’s assume it is. Do I need to be baptized again because when I got baptized I didn’t believe it was for the remission of sins, but for just a public proclamation?
I apologize if my post seems a little bouncy and what not…my kids have been playing in the background and it makes it a little hard to concentrate.

In Christ’s Love

Hi ClayInHisHands,

It appears to me that you are saved and I don't see any reason you need to question your baptism. My answer to the question of re-baptism would be no, but if you feel the need then I would go ahead and do so to give you comfort and assurance. I like you did not understand the correct meaning of baptism when I was baptized. It was told to me that it was an act of obedience, and that was why I was baptized. You did what you were told, the Scriptures say repent and be baptized. I don't think that God will negate what has been done if we don't fully understand why we are doing it. How many times have your children said why and you answered because I said so? Even though they did not understand you still acknowledged that they did it correct?

moonglow
Mar 14th 2010, 06:10 PM
I would like to reply to this but can't right now..I'll come back later. I also want a little time to pray on it too before I answer.

God bless

roaring tiger
Mar 14th 2010, 09:00 PM
Hi!!!ClayInHisHands greetings;
As Jesus said I did not come here to judge the world but to save it,so it is not for me to judge you but to share with you about the grace of our salvation.
You asked, if you still need to be baptize because you think that the baptizing you received is just a ceremonial?
John 16:23And in that day ye shall ask me nothing.Verily,verily, I say unto you,Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name,he will give it to you.
Ananias, a devout man according to law came to Paul and said.Brother Paul,receive thy sight and said.And now why tarriest thou?arise,and be baptized,and
wash away sins,calling on the name of the Lord.
Rom.10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name shall be saved.
Rom.10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how they shall believe in him of whom they have not heard and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Rom.10:15 And how shall they preach,except they be sent?as it is written,How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace,and bring glad tidings of good things.
You said to your readers to feel free in asking clarification.As far as baptizing, I think you had been baptized not once or may be in different churches.When you were baptized,did you or
have you received the Holy Ghost since you believed?Acts 19:2 And they said unto him,We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
!9:3 And he said unto them,Unto what then were ye baptized?And they said,Unto John's baptism.This baptising refer to baptism made by pastor or in church denomination.
John 1:26 John answered them,saying,I baptized with water;but here standeth one among you,whom ye know not.
As for my own understanding,baptism meant,study, learn and be blessed in the name of Father,and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.Who then now would enable to baptized a man?
Man can help us,our brother and sister who has reach the knowledge and the Spirit of understanding to know who Jesus was.
And the most qualified teaher is John 14:26 But the Comforter,is come,which is the Holy Ghost,whom the Father shall send in my name,he shall teach you all things,and bring things
to your remembrance,whatsoever I have said unto you.
Hope this help and many blessing.
in love of Christ./RT.

ClayInHisHands
Mar 14th 2010, 10:17 PM
When you were baptized,did you or
have you received the Holy Ghost since you believed?

I believe I have received the Holy Spirit. I know it's not a feeling but known by faith. I've many experiences where I know I've cried out in a situation and knew the He was strengthening me. I've had two experiences. In 1994 when I first got saved I felt completely and totally different than I did prior. Another time back in 2006 I was at work and was having a very bad day and was extremely angry...after work I had bottled it up all day and when I got to the car I was crying and trying to calm down and I couldn't and then I cried out in Jesus name that He remove this burning rage in me because I could not...and in an instance I felt the tension and weight I was feeling leave my body quicker than I could blink....It was amazing!!! Like I said, I know it's not what we feel or our experiences but what that we believe His promise. But that was something magnificent because I was trying so hard all day long to relax and calm down inside and I kept saying please help me over and over and I was telling myself over and over to calm down and then like I said when I cried out in Jesus name...it left and I felt it leave.

In Christ's Love

Lady e
Mar 14th 2010, 11:58 PM
I was re baptized-and feel that it was the best thing I could do.I did it for the right reason,and made a public confession of Christ.If you feel the need then be re baptized.GOD-bless

roaring tiger
Mar 15th 2010, 12:24 AM
I believe I have received the Holy Spirit. I know it's not a feeling but known by faith. I've many experiences where I know I've cried out in a situation and knew the He was strengthening me. I've had two experiences. In 1994 when I first got saved I felt completely and totally different than I did prior. Another time back in 2006 I was at work and was having a very bad day and was extremely angry...after work I had bottled it up all day and when I got to the car I was crying and trying to calm down and I couldn't and then I cried out in Jesus name that He remove this burning rage in me because I could not...and in an instance I felt the tension and weight I was feeling leave my body quicker than I could blink....It was amazing!!! Like I said, I know it's not what we feel or our experiences but what that we believe His promise. But that was something magnificent because I was trying so hard all day long to relax and calm down inside and I kept saying please help me over and over and I was telling myself over and over to calm down and then like I said when I cried out in Jesus name...it left and I felt it leave.

In Christ's Love

Hi!!!ClayInHisHand greetings;
It's good that you believe you had received the Holy Spirit and I shall not contest that because I know that it is true.No man can be born out of the mother's womb without spirit,as it was
witten,that a body without spirit is dead.When did a man receive spirit from God?Since we were formed in our mother's womb and God breathed into his nostril the breath of life.Job 32:8 But there is spirit in man:and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.even Jesus preach in John 14:17 Even the Spirit of the truth;whom the world cannot receive,because it
seeth him not,neither knoweth him:but ye know him;for he dwelt with you,and shall be in you.
But the Holy Ghost is different from the spirit which dwelt in man,that is why Jesus said Spirit of truth that the world cannot receive.The Comforter which is the Holy Ghost will be send by
Father in my name,he shall teach you all things,and bring all things to your remembrance,whatsoever what I have said unto you.Jesus says,it will be send in my name,not to me or to anyone.
Then Paul said,Rom.8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit,that we are the children of God.
In my learning from scripture receiving the Holy Ghost is a process of glorifying the name of Jesus as what was written in John 7:38-39 He that believeth on me,as the scripture hath said,out of his belly shall flow rivers of flowing water. v.39] (but this spake he of the Spirit. which they that believe should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given;because that Jesus was not yet
glorified) But before a man be baptize he must be born again by water and Spirit and then you shall receive or be baptize by a new name.Is.62:2 And the gentiles shall see thy righteousness,
and all kings the glory:and thou shalt be called by a new name,which the mouth of the Lord shall name.Rev.2:17 He that hath an ear,let him hear what the Spirit said unto the churches: To him
that overcometh will I give to eat the hidden manna,and I will give him a white stone which no man knoweth saving he that receive it. (hidden manna is the tree of life or bread of life) it was
taken away when Adam and Eve sinned against God.If you had something you want to clarify on my post don't hesitate to reach me and I shall obliged in brotherly manners.
Thank you and many blessing.
in love of Christ./RT.

CRJarvis
Mar 15th 2010, 01:00 AM
Also after anyone has read this...does it sound like I've never truly been saved. Or does it sound like I'm just going through the motions. Be honest...my eternal soul is at stake. Feel free to ask questions about anything I said to get clarification on anything.

Thanks

In Christ's Love

When you get married and did not keep your word, you still are married.
But now you have grown up and have changed and are keeping your word, you still are married.
Marriage is a proclamation accepted by the public that you have gave your vows to the one your are marrying.
(why you need witnesses to sign the paper, and a public event)
There is no need for you to give your word again, but there is need for you always to keep your word that you have gave.

If you wish to give your word again and you feel God is telling you to, then by all means do as God tells you.

When you are baptized you are joining Christ in his death.

KJV Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

KJV Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

KJV Philippians 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

KJV Colossians 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

KJV Romans 15:6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

KJV Romans 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
KJV 1 Peter 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

newinchrist4now
Mar 15th 2010, 02:01 AM

In Christ’s Love

No, one baptism is enough anymore and you would be getting wet. We don't have to believe for something to be true, it is regardless. :)

roaring tiger
Mar 15th 2010, 02:14 AM
When you get married and did not keep your word, you still are married.
But now you have grown up and have changed and are keeping your word, you still are married.
Marriage is a proclamation accepted by the public that you have gave your vows to the one your are marrying.
(why you need witnesses to sign the paper, and a public event)
There is no need for you to give your word again, but there is need for you always to keep your word that you have gave.

If you wish to give your word again and you feel God is telling you to, then by all means do as God tells you.

When you are baptized you are joining Christ in his death.

KJV Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

KJV Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

KJV Philippians 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

KJV Colossians 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

KJV Romans 15:6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.You said when you were baptized you joined Christ in his death.Right?...

KJV Romans 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
KJV 1 Peter 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

Hi!!!CRJarvis greetings;
Your quote is not address to me so, I would like to ask permission from you to ask or clarify some
text you made.May you please kindly explain on how upon baptising we had joined in death of Christ?Please kindly clarify this in a manner i could easy understand this because i'm not fluent in English.I don't meant yo confuse you nor contest you,but only asking for some help to learn this topic.Here are three connected verse I would like to learn.
Rom.6:3-5 Know ye not,that so many of us were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized
into his death.v.4)Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was
raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father,even so we also should walk in newness of life.
v.5) For if we had planted together in the likeness of his death,we shall also in the likeness of his resurrection.Please explain if how in baptising we could join Christ in his death.
Thanks in advance for your reply.
in love of Christ./RT.

kay-gee
Mar 15th 2010, 02:45 AM
Hi Clay. It is a tough call. I believe with every fiber of my being that baptism is for the remission of sins as Acts 2:38 declares. I know of instances where a person has come to a knowledge of the truth and submitted to re-baptism, having come from another denomination where Acts 2:38 is not taught. I would say that if it makes you more confident in your walk, then do it. It really comes down to you and God. I still consider a person as baptized who is baptized properly...ie...by full immersion, and an accountable aged person. Suffice it to say Clay. It's up to you. God bless in your decision.

all the best...

notuptome
Mar 15th 2010, 01:05 PM
A few months back I heard a sermon about landmarks in scripture and I think there is some appilication to this situation. We see in the OT that often when an event of importance took place in the history of Israel they would build an altar on the spot. Most often a pile of stones to mark the place where they crossed into the promised land where various partiarchs were visited by angels and the like. They also marked their land boundries with stones or stone walls/hedges about them.

As Christians we need to have similar markers in our lives. Jesus is the foundation upon which our faith rests. What markers do I look for in my life? First is that God drew me to Christ. I have a marker in my life when I know the Holy Spirit brought conviction in my life about my sin and the very real judgment of God upon my sin. I have a marker that I can see that I was a sinner and I deserved Gods judgment on sin which is a place in the lake of fire for all eternity. I have a marker that points to the righteousness of Christ. I know that the scripture declares that Christ was without sin and that He died on the cross of Calvary for my sin. I have a marker in my life when the Holy Spirit made manifest the the judgment of God upon sin was a judgment upon me because I was a sinner. There was no arguing against God as His judgment on sin and me as a result of my sinfulness was just. This brought me to the place where Christ was the only way for me to be saved and have forgivness of my sin. I have a marker where I asked Jesus to be mericful to me a sinner and to come into my heart and save me. There is a marker in my life where I followed the Lord in believers baptism. There are a lot of markers in my life and when I lose my way these markers put me back onto familiar ground so I can continue on my journey through this world.

If we are going to lose our way and begin to wander it is likely that it will be because we do not have the first marker in place. If we have never been convicted by the Holy Spirit that we are sinners and lost we can not have progressed to the place where we have received Christ as our Saviour. We may fail to maintain our markers and the walls around our vinyard may need much repair but we cannot rebuild the wall untill we find the cornerstone from which all the others have their orientation.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

moonglow
Mar 15th 2010, 02:10 PM
I prayed about this and finally realized what my answer should be to you..

While you will get many different answers on this, (all backed with scriptures too on baptism, none of us can know without a doubt if you are saved or not..we can only guess....so frankly if I were you I would just pray and ask God..who better would know?

I will tell you this..all through my life I saw God work in my life and others, and experienced the Holy Spirit too...but I was still a carnal Christian. I was not born again because I had not completely surrended my life to Christ. So I had doubts like you are experiencing now and was even baptized a second time as an adult (first time I was ten). Yet still I know I was not born again...that didn't come until later. I also realize my post will possibly cause you more concerns..that is why I say, ask God. Also remember salvation is a process..we go through different stages of salvation. I plan on posting too to ask other to help define this more clearly so we can all understand better.

I hope you and your wife can find a good solid bible teaching church soon too! :)

God bless

ThyWordIsTruth
Mar 15th 2010, 05:43 PM

Thanks

In Christ's Love

Hi there,
This article has been very helpful to many people regarding this very question:

http://lifecypha.wordpress.com/2009/09/15/the-marks-of-saving-faith-pt-1-john-macarthur/
http://lifecypha.wordpress.com/2009/09/16/the-marks-of-saving-faith-part-2-john-macarthur/

Also, I'd recommend reading through the epistles of John carefully, and stopping and meditating about what John says the signs of true saving faith are, and examining yourself carefully. My situation was kinda like yours, but when I was truly born again, the change was quite dramatic. A consistent prayer life, a decreasing frequency of sin, a real love for God and an understanding of his character, a desire to read and understand his word, etc.

This book was also very helpful to me personally:
http://www.amazon.com/Gospel-According-Jesus-Authentic-Faith/dp/0310287294/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268674992&sr=8-1

CRJarvis
Mar 15th 2010, 11:25 PM
Hi!!!CRJarvis greetings;
Your quote is not address to me so, I would like to ask permission from you to ask or clarify some
text you made.May you please kindly explain on how upon baptising we had joined in death of Christ?Please kindly clarify this in a manner i could easy understand this because i'm not fluent in English.I don't meant yo confuse you nor contest you,but only asking for some help to learn this topic.Here are three connected verse I would like to learn.
Rom.6:3-5 Know ye not,that so many of us were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized
into his death.v.4)Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was
raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father,even so we also should walk in newness of life.
v.5) For if we had planted together in the likeness of his death,we shall also in the likeness of his resurrection.Please explain if how in baptising we could join Christ in his death.
Thanks in advance for your reply.
in love of Christ./RT.

Jesus Died 2 times. (not talking aobut the 2nd death)
one Death was to his self. (what he wanted)

KJV Mark 14:36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.

KJV Philippians 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

3:10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

KJV Ephesians 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

KJV Romans 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

KJV Romans 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

if we die to our self (our wants and put on the Mind of Christ)
and do as God wants us to not what we want.

send me a PM or we can make a new post about this ok. do not want to over run this post here.

JLM Lives
Mar 16th 2010, 09:51 PM
God bless you brother. Just remember that God has begun a good work in you. and He will complete it. God knows who are His, He will not lose a one. I can see by your post that God has begun the work. do not doubt my brother the leading of the Lord is in you. I also had problems with cussing. I went on a word fast for thirty days to get rid of it Thank God for his mercy. I've also been baptised three times in my life. Once on my own because I knew it had to be. Second by a priest. (he wouldn't go into the water with me) and third in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. because it was scriptual. so fear not my brother. And may the Lord bless you immencly.

I'll pray along with moonglow for your bible fellowship assembly.

ClayInHisHands
Mar 17th 2010, 02:59 AM
Thank you to everyone's comments. I am taking each of them to heart and I am praying about this.

In Christ's Love