PDA

View Full Version : Looking for verse

kzooref
Mar 17th 2010, 07:36 PM
Where does Paul say he knows what is right and does not do it but continues to do what he knows is wrong? Help would be appreciated!

Frecs
Mar 17th 2010, 07:40 PM
Romans 7:15-16 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.

I love www.blueletterbible.com :-)

jayne
Mar 17th 2010, 07:52 PM
David Guzik has a gooooooood commentary on this passage. :hmm: :idea: :)

a. For what I am doing, I do not understand: Paul’s problem isn’t desire - he wants to do what is right (what I will to do, that I do not practice). His problem isn’t knowledge - he knows what the right thing is. His problem is a lack of power: how to perform what is good I do not find. He lacks power because the law gives no power.

i. The law says: “Here are the rules and you had better keep them.” But it gives us no power for keeping the law.

b. It is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me: Is Paul denying his responsibility as a sinner? No. He recognizes that as he sins, he acts against his nature as a new man in Jesus Christ. A Christian must own up to his sin, yet realize that the impulse to sin does not come from who we really are in Jesus Christ.

i. “To be saved from sin, a man must at the same time own it and disown it; it is this practical paradox which is reflected in this verse. A true saint may say it in a moment of passion, but a sinner had better not make it a principle.” (Wuest)