PDA

View Full Version : We are not FORMED in the flesh after the image and likeness of God but rather Adam

ross3421
Mar 25th 2010, 11:49 AM
Scripture is clear that Adam's descendent's which include us are after his likeness and image. So then what really does it mean to be CREATED in God's image? Is God's image and Adam's the same? It would appear not as the reason to make reference to Adam's image and likeness. Also is not God's image and likeness spirit, invisible, and sinless? Also how is it that both male and female are called Adam in the DAY when created and not Adam and Eve. And how is it that man in chapter 2 appears before the animals but in chapter 1 he is created after?

Ge 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

Ge 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Ge 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

I hope this thread has you asking the same questions. God bless. Mark

David Taylor
Mar 25th 2010, 12:03 PM
God's Image is our Spiritual nature, a unique characteristic given by God to each one of us, that separates us from the rest of creation. (animals, birds, fish, etc)

Adam's image is simply our human species fleshly form that we all inherit genetically from Adam.

Firstfruits
Mar 25th 2010, 01:14 PM
God's Image is our Spiritual nature, a unique characteristic given by God to each one of us, that separates us from the rest of creation. (animals, birds, fish, etc)

Adam's image is simply our human species fleshly form that we all inherit genetically from Adam.

With the understanding that all men have the spirit of man, what is the difference between the spirit of man and the spirit of God?

1 Cor 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Servant89
Mar 25th 2010, 07:43 PM
The image is the trinity, a soul, a spirit and a body. God has all 3. Man has all 3.

We laugh, cry, have anger, a sense of vengance, a musical nature, a sense of humor, we experience jealosy, love, hate, etc.

Shalom

holyrokker
Mar 25th 2010, 08:15 PM
There is only one Greek word used in the NT translated as "flesh" - that word is sarx.

Here are a few examples:

Matthew 19:5 and said, 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh'?

Luke 3:6 and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.

Luke 24:39 See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

John 6:51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.

Romans 1:3 concerning his Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh

1 Timothy 3:16 Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of godliness: He was manifested in the flesh, vindicated by the Spirit, seen by angels, proclaimed among the nations, believed on in the world, taken up in glory.

Hebrew 2:14 Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil,

Hebrews 5:7 In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications,

Hebrews 10:20 by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh,

Romans 8:5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.

chad
Mar 25th 2010, 09:31 PM
What verse comes first in the order of creation. Genesis 1:27 or Genesis 5:2-3.

Genesis 1:27 - God created man in his own image. Which was without sin.

In Genesis 3, Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge and sinned.

Seth was born in the image of Adam, who had sinned. Had Seth been born in the image of God, he would have been sinless. Adam was also missing a rib, in which God took it out of him and created Eve.

Scripture is clear that Adam's descendent's which include us are after his likeness and image. So then what really does it mean to be CREATED in God's image? Is God's image and Adam's the same? It would appear not as the reason to make reference to Adam's image and likeness. Also is not God's image and likeness spirit, invisible, and sinless? Also how is it that both male and female are called Adam in the DAY when created and not Adam and Eve. And how is it that man in chapter 2 appears before the animals but in chapter 1 he is created after?

Ge 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

Ge 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Ge 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

I hope this thread has you asking the same questions. God bless. Mark