PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the scripture...

Ta-An
Mar 26th 2010, 11:23 AM
"".... the eyes are a window to/for the soul..."

Please if anyone know where that scripture is :D

Firstfruits
Mar 26th 2010, 11:38 AM
"".... the eyes are a window to/for the soul..."

Please if anyone know where that scripture is :D

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but here goes.

Mt 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

Firstfruits

JohnDB
Mar 26th 2010, 11:39 AM
It isn't scripture....it is a quote from poetry based upon what Jesus was saying about light...letting it shine from within.

and I can't remember which "classic" poet wrote that line.

Ta-An
Mar 26th 2010, 11:40 AM
Thank you...I dunno if it is either :hmm: so often do you hear the ref: The eye is the window to the soul.... And so I am looking for that scripture :D

Firstfruits
Mar 26th 2010, 11:46 AM
It isn't scripture....it is a quote from poetry based upon what Jesus was saying about light...letting it shine from within.

and I can't remember which "classic" poet wrote that line.

It may be this scripture but possibly taken out of context.

Mt 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

Firstfruits

tango
Mar 26th 2010, 11:47 AM
Doesn't look like it's a direct quote from Scripture - I did a search on e-sword of a dozen translations looking for the words "eye window soul" and got no hits. I tried "eye window heart" as well and still got no hits. That was also allowing partial matches (so effectively also looking for "eyes window soul" etc)

Firstfruits
Mar 26th 2010, 11:53 AM
Doesn't look like it's a direct quote from Scripture - I did a search on e-sword of a dozen translations looking for the words "eye window soul" and got no hits. I tried "eye window heart" as well and still got no hits. That was also allowing partial matches (so effectively also looking for "eyes window soul" etc)

What then is the difference between the body and the soul in the following?

Mt 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

1 Thess 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Firstfruits

tango
Mar 26th 2010, 12:09 PM
What then is the difference between the body and the soul in the following?

Mt 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

1 Thess 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Firstfruits

I'm not sure what your point is - what I said is that "the eye is the window to the soul" doesn't appear to be a direct quote of Scripture. You'd quoted Matthew 6:22 which conveys much the same sentiment but with a different form of words. So whether the text is a paraphrase of the Bible or a poetic expression based on the Bible, my point is that the precise form of words doesn't appear to be in the Bible.

Firstfruits
Mar 27th 2010, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure what your point is - what I said is that "the eye is the window to the soul" doesn't appear to be a direct quote of Scripture. You'd quoted Matthew 6:22 which conveys much the same sentiment but with a different form of words. So whether the text is a paraphrase of the Bible or a poetic expression based on the Bible, my point is that the precise form of words doesn't appear to be in the Bible.

Agreed,

God bless!

Firstfruits

theBelovedDisciple
Mar 27th 2010, 02:07 PM
Jesus made reference to the 'light' of the body .. as being discerned by the 'eye'...

the eyes are a window to the soul?

I don't think thats in Scripture...

but

the Light of the body is Truely Indeed the 'eye'...

take heed that the 'light' which is in you.. be NOT DARKNESS... if thats the case. .then how GREAT IS THAT DARKNESS....

Jesus said this because there were Pharisees running around chest thumping.. claiming to be the sons of Abraham, the chosen of God... Moses's Disciples.... etc......

Jesus's Rebuke of them proves otherwise.. and He told them who their real father was....

it is absolutely no different today.......

you WILL KNOW who is abiding in the HOUSE... by the Eye....

iniquity and wickedness .. posing as 'light' ... does have a 'face'......

he that hath ears let him hear..

JohnDB
Mar 27th 2010, 02:51 PM
In the 1st book of Clements 19:3 (From the Codex Sinaiticus) a mention is made to this line. If the age of the book is true then this can be comfortably set around the 1400's.

19:3 Let us behold him in spirit, and look with the eyes of the soul to his long-suffering will.

It's a start...LOL...and I thought Shakespeare said it.
Apparently the expression has been around for a while.

daughter
Mar 27th 2010, 04:37 PM
I think Cicero said it first, though being Cicero he wasn't quite as pithy about it. He said the eyes, ears and nostrils were the window to the soul. Shakespeare did write a lot about the connection between eyes and soul, but I don't think he flat out said it. It's a folksy (as opposed to Biblical) proverb.

Ta-An
Mar 27th 2010, 07:15 PM
I think I have found something : Windows let light in, not so.... so Lk 11:34 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=4&BOOK=42&CHAP=11&SEARCH=jesus%20king%20lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=34) The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. So your soul , be that darkness or light, can be seen through the eye... Did I phrase that right :hmm:

BBE : 34 The light of the body is the eye: when your eye is true, all your body is full of light; but when it is evil, your body is dark.

WEB : 34 The lamp of the body is the eye. Therefore when your eye is good, your whole body is also full of light; but when it is evil, your body also is full of darkness.

theBelovedDisciple
Mar 27th 2010, 08:31 PM
I think I have found something : Windows let light in, not so.... so Lk 11:34 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=4&BOOK=42&CHAP=11&SEARCH=jesus%20king%20lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=34) The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. So your soul , be that darkness or light, can be seen through the eye... Did I phrase that right :hmm:

BBE : 34 The light of the body is the eye: when your eye is true, all your body is full of light; but when it is evil, your body is dark.

WEB : 34 The lamp of the body is the eye. Therefore when your eye is good, your whole body is also full of light; but when it is evil, your body also is full of darkness.

The 'eye' will tell you what kind of 'light' is on in the house(body)...... you had the Pharisees of JesusDay.. who swore up and down they were the sons of Abraham, Moses Disciples... yet the 'light' they were walking in was actually darkness.. according to Jesus Christ.. and if thats the case the HOW GREAT IS THAT DARKNESS...

darkness.. has a face...... and the 'eye' will tell you whether there is 'darkness' abiding there.. and especially now days.. when 'darkness' comes posing as 'light'.. and that darkness 'appears' as 'light'... you would never know the difference unless one looks at the 'eye'...

devils and satan himself come posing as ministers, teachers, and preachers of Righteousness... the Bible says he is 'transformed' into them.. but the 'eye will always give him away.. and you can tell if a devil or devils is present in that flesh by the 'eye'.... for the person who is jailed.. takes on the look of their 'jailor'.. who is the 'strongman'...

wickedness... has a face...

may His Annointing help you to see.....

Firstfruits
Mar 28th 2010, 08:16 AM

This the same scripture I gave although in Matthew, is it what you were looking for?

Firstfruits

Ta-An
Mar 28th 2010, 09:51 AM
This the same scripture I gave although in Matthew, is it what you were looking for?

Firstfruits
I think so... Thank you.... it is by interpretation of that scripture that the meaning comes forth :)

Now what does it mean for an eye to be single?? :hmm: or is that what the Beloved Disciple is talking about??

Firstfruits
Mar 28th 2010, 10:22 AM
I think so... Thank you.... it is by interpretation of that scripture that the meaning comes forth :)

Now what does it mean for an eye to be single?? :hmm: or is that what the Beloved Disciple is talking about??

It means to be good, according to the following.

Mt 6:23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

Firstfruits

Ta-An
Mar 28th 2010, 10:46 AM
It means to be good, according to the following.
Many Thanks :) .

Firstfruits
Mar 28th 2010, 01:18 PM
Many Thanks :) .

You are welcome.

God bless you!

Firstfruits