PDA

View Full Version : Why was this an evil report?

Freek
Mar 30th 2010, 07:08 PM
(Num 13:31) But the men that went up with him said, We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we. And they brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of Israel, saying, The land, through which we have gone to search it, is a land that eateth up the inhabitants thereof; and all the people that we saw in it are men of a great stature. And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.

What was so evil about this report? As far as I can see it was factual and contains no lies.

Reynolds357
Mar 30th 2010, 07:14 PM
(Num 13:31) But the men that went up with him said, We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we. And they brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of Israel, saying, The land, through which we have gone to search it, is a land that eateth up the inhabitants thereof; and all the people that we saw in it are men of a great stature. And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.

What was so evil about this report? As far as I can see it was factual and contains no lies.
It was a report that demonstrated doubt and un-belief.

HisLeast
Mar 30th 2010, 07:19 PM

Perhaps not lies, but certainly exagerations and a determined telling of only moral crushing information, especially when considered against other reports that said the land "flowed with milk and honey". These scouts worked counter to God's purpose, which was for Isreal to go into the promised land with God in their midst and route everyone as He promised.

holyrokker
Mar 30th 2010, 07:37 PM
These scouts worked counter to God's purpose, which was for Isreal to go into the promised land with God in their midst and route everyone as He promised.
Excellent point! Evil is a working against God's purposes. It's a refusal to submit to His will. The report was "evil" because they refused to obey God.

Freek
Mar 31st 2010, 08:10 PM
Then why does the church do exactly the same today?

HisLeast
Mar 31st 2010, 08:12 PM
Then why does the church do exactly the same today?

A lot harder to stay on message when you have a few million people, instead of just a few individuals.

Freek
Mar 31st 2010, 09:04 PM
A lot harder to stay on message when you have a few million people, instead of just a few individuals.

Will you please explain this statement in a bit more detail? I just want to make sure that I understand what you mean. Thanks.

HisLeast
Mar 31st 2010, 09:10 PM
Will you please explain this statement in a bit more detail? I just want to make sure that I understand what you mean. Thanks.

Ok... lets say there was 12 scouts associated with the bad report. Lets say there are X million christians in "the church". How many "bad reporters" would have to be in "the church" befoer we say the whole church is giving bad reports?

Does that make any more sense?

Freek
Mar 31st 2010, 09:15 PM
Ok... lets say there was 12 scouts associated with the bad report. Lets say there are X million christians in "the church". How many "bad reporters" would have to be in "the church" befoer we say the whole church is giving bad reports?

Does that make any more sense?

OK I understand. I would wager that there are more than 10/12ths today. There are a few lone voices out there and they are persecuted, even by the church.

holyrokker
Mar 31st 2010, 09:27 PM
OK I understand. I would wager that there are more than 10/12ths today. There are a few lone voices out there and they are persecuted, even by the church.

Of the Israelites to leave Egypt, only 2 made it into the Promised Land - the two spies who demonstrated faith in God's promise.

Jesus said Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Freek
Mar 31st 2010, 09:35 PM
Of the Israelites to leave Egypt, only 2 made it into the Promised Land - the two spies who demonstrated faith in God's promise.

Jesus said Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

How many in the church today, demonstrates faith in God's promises? The bad part is that those who do, are persecuted by the rest of the church. I think that the many Jesus talked about are the persecutors, but I'm speculating. :D

EarlyCall
Mar 31st 2010, 10:41 PM

The bottom line to this report is that God had told them to go in and take the land. Now they had seen many mighty miracles performed by God on their behalf. In essence then what they were really saying is that they doubted God, they did not take God at His word and in fact, by their words and actions and fear they were rejecting God, His command, his word and Him.

Lear
Mar 31st 2010, 11:20 PM
I too have trouble with this passage, it seems like the language can often be a bit confusing or vague.