PDA

View Full Version : Discussion 1John 3:3 Purity

BroRog
Apr 1st 2010, 06:28 PM
See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is. And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. 1John 3:1-3

When I think of "purity" I think of sexual purity. And I think John's word that we purify ourselves includes, but is not exclusive to sexual purity. Can anyone think of other ways that we can express "purity" in our everyday lives?

I would love to get your ideas on this as I would like to work on areas of my life that I might not think about on my own.

I appreciate your comments and thank you for them in advance.

The Mighty Sword
Apr 1st 2010, 06:35 PM
2 Corinthians 10:5 5Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Purity starts with your thoughts, if we can change our thoughts then we will win half the battle.

That's my take anyway.

jayne
Apr 1st 2010, 07:11 PM
Strong's Concordance has this to say about the Greek word for "pure" in that passage. I know that Strong's is not the be-all end-all authority, but it's helpful.

"Pure" in 1 John 3:3 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G53&t=KJV)

theBelovedDisciple
Apr 1st 2010, 08:22 PM
Purify in the Greek #48

) ceremonially

a) to make pure, purify, cleanse

2) morally

derived from the word Pure #53
----------------------------------------------

exciting reverence, venerable, sacred

2) pure

a) pure from carnality, chaste, modest

b) pure from every fault, immaculate

c) clean

-----------------------------------------------------

and another word attached to that is the same word that means 'Saint' #40 in the Greek... Most Holy One..

one that God sets Apart for His Work..

the 3 go Hand in hand... Purify, Pure, and Most Holy One or Saint...

its God who sets His Own Apart...

and its the Work of the Holy Ghost as He works on the Converts Heart.. circumcising and leading him/her into all Truth... He helps the convert in keeping their thoughts pure, actions pure, conscience clean and pure, which is a manifestation of a conscience that has been sprinkled with the Blood of Christ.. by his/her answer towards God and his/her Redeemer..

thoughts, words, deeds as Led by the Holy Ghost.. and not only this area..

but the Purity of Doctrine...the Doctrine of Christ Himself.... which is not religious doctrines..set forth by man.. but His Doctrine as He leads... and you follow Him...

many make the outside clean and pure.. but the 'inside' is another story...

God dwells with His People in that 'inner man'.. or 'inward part'... and this is where He will make you to 'know' Truth.. and Purity... from the simplest thought to the simplest action...

while religion gets the outside all clean.. appearing nice and tidy.. but when discerned... pretty messy on the inside...

God's Work is on the Inside.. the 'heart'.. and from there He will lead you into Purity... in all areas..

notuptome
Apr 1st 2010, 08:32 PM
I generally think of Phil 4:8. There are many things that can occupy the mind. We need to meditate or cogitate as Daniel said on the word of God. Ps 119 speaks of cleansing ones ways vs 9 by taking heed according to the word of God. The blessed man is described in Ps 1:1-3

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Nomad
Apr 1st 2010, 09:34 PM
1Jn 3:2 Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.
1Jn 3:3 And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure. ESV

John is saying that those who have this hope of being conformed to the image of Christ are inspired by this hope to struggle with all sin. The idea here is to strive to be like our savior. After verse 3 John takes the next seven verses to confirm this. He speaks of those who make a practice of sinning. They are lawless and of the devil. He also speaks of those who make a practice of righteousness. They are righteous and have been born of God. To practice righteousness is to be pure as Christ is pure. The idea is that we can have the same kind of purity, (practicing righteousness), but certainly not the same degree, (sinless perfection).

1Jn 3:4 Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.
1Jn 3:5 You know that he appeared to take away sins, and in him there is no sin.
1Jn 3:6 No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him.
1Jn 3:7 Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous.
1Jn 3:8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.
1Jn 3:9 No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.
1Jn 3:10 By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother. ESV

Jreyes78
Apr 1st 2010, 10:21 PM
ok alright, a word when is does come to your thought, is a Purity, as well.

I recently check a dictionary. ok here we go.

Purity

starRemove star purity /pj'ʊərɪti/ listen
Synonyms:
o noun: chastity, cleanliness, cleanness, innocence, clarity
o
See
pure
Yet, Strong's had a one, it is common same as this dictionary, that's all I've got it.

BroRog
Apr 2nd 2010, 03:16 PM
What is an alloy?