PDA

View Full Version : Do I Understand the Gospel Correctly?

NicoCorea
Apr 5th 2010, 09:22 PM
Below is the Gospel in my own words, as I would share it with an unbeliever. I'd really appreciate anyone's suggestions for improvement. Details matter to me, so don't hesitate to point out things that others might consider insignificant.

God creates us and He gives us the privledge to make many of our own choices with regard to our actions and our beliefs. God also created a standard to which he compares the actions and beliefs we freely choose for ourselves. But God surely knows that that every single one of us will fall short of His standard.

So this is the problem: God created us with the priveldge to make our own choices, but set a standard for our choices that we cannot possibly meet. The Gospel is God's solution to this seemingly impossible problem.

The Gospel is that God, in the ultimate display of humility, became a mortal man named Jesus, and walked in our shoes for a lifetime. Jesus lived a perfect life--every choice He made met His own standard. Then, as a sacrifice that would enable every one of us to also claim to meet His standard despite our sins, He let us kill Jesus--His own incarnation. All our sins, past, present, and future, were erased by Jesus's death. God essentially punished himself for every sin that we have ever committed, or have yet to commit, just so He could give us free choice.

But that's not all: He brought Jesus back to life and seated Him at his right hand, where he gets to stay for eternity. Jesus's resurrection means that we too can live forever with God after we die.

By virtue of believing in Jesus, his death, and his resurrection, you automatically meet God's standard, regardless of any sins you have committed or have yet to commit, and you therefore get to live forever with God after you die.

Bandit
Apr 5th 2010, 09:40 PM
Below is the Gospel in my own words, as I would share it with an unbeliever. I'd really appreciate anyone's suggestions for improvement. Details matter to me, so don't hesitate to point out things that others might consider insignificant.
By virtue of believing in Jesus, his death, and his resurrection, you automatically meet God's standard, regardless of any sins you have committed or have yet to commit, and you therefore get to live forever with God after you die.
[/INDENT]

Hello,

I believe your heart is in the right place, and I commend you for seeking the council of others. I am not wanting to turn this thread into a spectacle, but many (including myself) have issue with your last statement (and perhaps other statements to a lesser extent). This last statement rings of the OSAS doctrine which many (including myself) find to be extremely offensive to the true gospel. What you are basically doing is telling people that once they "believe" a certain set of facts, their behavior can have no impact on where they end up. The OSAS teaching is very contrary to the true gospel in the minds of a great many people. Be careful that you are not telling people something which is not true.

newinchrist4now
Apr 5th 2010, 09:48 PM
While not true I don't want to debate Eternal Security which is thoroughly Biblical

newinchrist4now
Apr 5th 2010, 09:50 PM

God creates us and He gives us the privledge to make many of our own choices with regard to our actions and our beliefs. God also created a standard to which he compares the actions and beliefs we freely choose for ourselves. But God surely knows that that every single one of us will fall short of His standard.

So this is the problem: God created us with the priveldge to make our own choices, but set a standard for our choices that we cannot possibly meet. The Gospel is God's solution to this seemingly impossible problem.

The Gospel is that God, in the ultimate display of humility, became a mortal man named Jesus, and walked in our shoes for a lifetime. Jesus lived a perfect life--every choice He made met His own standard. Then, as a sacrifice that would enable every one of us to also claim to meet His standard despite our sins, He let us kill Jesus--His own incarnation. All our sins, past, present, and future, were erased by Jesus's death. God essentially punished himself for every sin that we have ever committed, or have yet to commit, just so He could give us free choice.

But that's not all: He brought Jesus back to life and seated Him at his right hand, where he gets to stay for eternity. Jesus's resurrection means that we too can live forever with God after we die.

Sounds good I might take out the first sentence, but sounds good

notuptome
Apr 5th 2010, 09:52 PM
Hello,

I believe your heart is in the right place, and I commend you for seeking the council of others. I am not wanting to turn this thread into a spectacle, but many (including myself) have issue with your last statement (and perhaps other statements to a lesser extent). This last statement rings of the OSAS doctrine which many (including myself) find to be extremely offensive to the true gospel. What you are basically doing is telling people that once they "believe" a certain set of facts, their behavior can have no impact on where they end up. The OSAS teaching is very contrary to the true gospel in the minds of a great many people. Be careful that you are not telling people something which is not true.
You should heed your own advice.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Bandit
Apr 5th 2010, 09:56 PM
You should heed your own advice.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

I just added permanently you to my ignore list because of that statement.

notuptome
Apr 5th 2010, 10:00 PM

Why put the gospel in your own words? The gospel is intended to be taught from the word of God. Your word and my words lack the authority that God has placed in His word. The Holy Spirit operates through the word of God.

Commit portions of Gods word to memory and share them in your presentation of the gospel. If you expound John 3:16 the Holy Spirit will use your witness to save souls. Do not fear to offend. The cross is an offense especially to those who perish.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Nomad
Apr 5th 2010, 10:09 PM
Here's another Biblical summation of the Gospel to go along with John 3:16:

1Co 15:1 Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand,
1Co 15:2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you--unless you believed in vain.
1Co 15:3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures,
1Co 15:4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,
1Co 15:5 and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.
1Co 15:6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep.
1Co 15:7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles.
1Co 15:8 Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me. -ESV

NicoCorea
Apr 5th 2010, 10:17 PM
Hello,

Thank you, that is exactly the sort of correction I was seeking. I see how the words I wrote make it sound like I think there is no accountability for your sins once you profess belief in Jesus. I certainly do not believe that to be true, and I'll be careful not to make it sound like that's the case in the future.

Ryan R
Apr 5th 2010, 10:21 PM
Hi,

I would suggest that there is an element missing in here, so if I may...

So this is the problem: God created us with the priveldge to make our own choices, but set a standard for our choices that we cannot possibly meet.

Not exactly, because we were created innocent and therefore we used to match the standard, but Adam chose to rebel and introduced the curse of sin, and it's wages which is death.

Having introduced this curse, we now are guilty of transgressing the law, and have no ability to pay for our crime, which is worthy of eternal condemnation.

The importance of Genesis is seen in both Romans and Hebrews, in understanding how we are personally responsible for our shortcomings, because we introduced them and we perpetuate them.

The Gospel is God's solution to this seemingly impossible problem.

Yes and no. The gospel is the "good news" that God came in the flesh to pay the price for our sins, which was to take them from us - an act that required a sinless person (and therefore God) to assume the sins voluntarily and take them down to the grave, conquering the curse of sin for anyone who would successively die to themselves so that it is not themselves who lives but Christ through them . With His own power He then resurrected from the dead, conquering the wages of sin (death), for all who would confess with their mouth and believe in their heart that Jesus is Lord.

Essentially, yes.

He was despised and rejected by men,
a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.
Like one from whom men hide their faces
he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Surely he took up our infirmities
and carried our sorrows,
yet we considered him stricken by God,
smitten by him, and afflicted.

But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed.

We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

Isaiah 53:3-6

Yes.

[By virtue of believing in Jesus, his death, and his resurrection, you automatically meet God's standard, regardless of any sins you have committed or have yet to commit, and you therefore get to live forever with God after you die.

Sort of but not exactly.

By virtue of believing in Jesus, your sins are wiped out because He took them to the grave with Him. Therefore God will no longer judge us, because we have become a new creature in Christ "Therefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things are passed away; behold, new things have come." (2 Corinthians 5:17).

So yes, we live forever because we are no longer judged by our sins (which are atoned for), but by our righteousness through Christ (the works of which will not burn off in the end. We therefore have eternal salvation, and the opportunity to work for crowns to lay at Jesus' feet when we are judged by Him.

"For we must all be made manifest before the judgment-seat of Christ; that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he hath done, whether it be good or bad. Knowing therefore the fear of the Lord, we persuade men..." (2 Cor. 5:10-11).

So, basically, i would say the Gospel is that we have rebelled against God and cannot make amends, but God has taken the penalty for our sins upon Himself by coming as a man, assuming our sins, taking them to the grave with Him, and rising again to beat sin and death. He now offers us atonement for our sins as a free gift (Ephesians 2:8) that cannot be earned nor paid back, to anyone who would confess what Jesus has done for them, repent of their sins and die to themselves to become joint heirs with Jesus.

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me" (Galatians 2:20).

The Berean Call ministry puts out a tract called "The Non-negotiable Gospel" and it explains it a little better than I have.

Hope that helps.

NicoCorea
Apr 5th 2010, 10:23 PM
Why put the gospel in your own words? The gospel is intended to be taught from the word of God. Your word and my words lack the authority that God has placed in His word. The Holy Spirit operates through the word of God.

Commit portions of Gods word to memory and share them in your presentation of the gospel. If you expound John 3:16 the Holy Spirit will use your witness to save souls. Do not fear to offend. The cross is an offense especially to those who perish.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

There's no question that scripture is the only true source of the Gospel and that is where I'd ultimately point anyone with whom I shared the Gospel. But I think that I (dare I say every Christian?) ought to be able accurately convey the Gospel in my (his) own words.

notuptome
Apr 6th 2010, 01:00 AM
There's no question that scripture is the only true source of the Gospel and that is where I'd ultimately point anyone with whom I shared the Gospel. But I think that I (dare I say every Christian?) ought to be able accurately convey the Gospel in my (his) own words.
The gospel as it is written in Gods word is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth. Rom 1:16 The objective is not to persuade with clever arguments or great oratory but to give forth the word of God to the converting of the soul.

What I am saying is that it is not I but Christ. Do not believe me but believe Christ. The gospel cannot be accurately conveyed apart from the word of God.

I simply will say your time is better invested in sharing the word of God than developing a convincing argument from your own wisdom.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

kay-gee
Apr 6th 2010, 02:19 AM
Why not preach the ORIGINAL gospel sermon? Acts 2:38. Acts 2:39 tells us that it will work every time.

all the best...

Firstfruits
Apr 6th 2010, 02:09 PM

What I would say is that what we say should be agree with that which is written.

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that They received The word with all readiness of mind, and searched The scriptures daily, wheTher those things were so.

Firstfruits

thedee
Apr 6th 2010, 02:28 PM

I am not going to tell you what to say. Read and study your bible. It will become clear to you. Go to John 3 and also read 1 Cor 15.

Firstfruits
Apr 6th 2010, 02:47 PM
I am not going to tell you what to say. Read and study your bible. It will become clear to you. Go to John 3 and also read 1 Cor 15.

But not all that read and study the bible agree with that which is written.

Firstfruits

thedee
Apr 6th 2010, 03:10 PM
But not all that read and study the bible agree with that which is written.

Firstfruits

If you disagree with what the Bible says then you have a problem.

Firstfruits
Apr 6th 2010, 03:27 PM
If you disagree with what the Bible says then you have a problem.

They may not accept that what they preach is contrary to what is written.

Firstfruits

Sirus
Apr 7th 2010, 12:42 AM

You've got the gospel as understood before the mystery of Christ was revealed to Paul, so we know it works per beginning of the book of Acts 'to get men saved'. You have only touched on a portion of the gospel.
Jesus said He had much more to tell the disciples but they couldn't bear it, but that He would send the Spirit to reveal much more. So you should incorporate the full knowledge and revelation of Jesus Christ. For example, here

"But that's not all: He brought Jesus back to life and seated Him at his right hand, where he gets to stay for eternity. Jesus's resurrection means that we too can live forever with God after we die. "
is a perfect opportunity to explain the power of the gospel -the cross- (1Co 1:18, 23, 24, 2:2-4) in this life. People need to live now. They need power now. They need an escape now. People are far more interested in a gospel of power for this life, which is why Jesus came (abundant life).
We were put into the body of Christ at His cross by the Spirit of God (1Co 12:13, 2Co 5:14, Rom 6:3-4, Eph 4:5, 20-24, Col 2:12, 3:9-10, Gal 3:27).

Therefore,
we died when He died
were buried when He was buried
were raised when He was raised
--Col 2:9-12--
not just so we can live when we die, but so we can live now.

2Co 5:14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
2Co 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
2Co 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
2Co 5:18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
Christ died for our sins so we could die to our sins (Rom 6:2, 7, 11, 13, 8:10). So regardless of any problem, sin, or addiction, Christ is the grace of God for all men and for all things. In Him we have already been given all things that pertain to life and godliness. When temptation comes we simply believe we are dead to sin and the world and alive unto God and thank Him for it, and we over come all things in the power of His Spirit -walk in the Spirit -truth -gospel. All of it, not just a portion of it.

Oh, and I'm so glad to hear you understand "All our sins, past, present, and future" are forgiven. Unfortunately sin, instead of spreading the good news of eternal redemption, seems to be the main focus for much of the church. -dying daily when we are already crucified with Christ -asking for forgiveness for sins that are already forgiven etc....

BruceG
Apr 8th 2010, 10:47 AM

I know this is going to open up a can of worms here, but the idea that any future sins we commit are automatically forgiven is simply not scriptural. I can list many more, but God said "If we sin willfully after having recieved the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful looking for of judgement."

The gospel is in essence a trade, our life for His. We deserved death. He took it for us, paid the price for us and now owns us. We have, by accepting Him, given up our rights to our life, sold all our pearls, counted the cost of following Him, (which is the rights to us) and now yield ourselves to Him to mold us as He sees fit.

There is a "cost" to this free gift, and sadly, millions are resting in a salvation that they have heard that all is well, even if they sin. Thus, many, multitudes are walking in the world, content they have their ticket punched, when it is not he who starts to journey who gets eternal life, but he who endures to the end of the journey. Salvation is a walk, a journey, and forgiveness is but the entry into it.

Blessings, Bruce

BruceG
Apr 8th 2010, 10:52 AM
You've got the gospel as understood before the mystery of Christ was revealed to Paul, so we know it works per beginning of the book of Acts 'to get men saved'. You have only touched on a portion of the gospel.
Jesus said He had much more to tell the disciples but they couldn't bear it, but that He would send the Spirit to reveal much more. So you should incorporate the full knowledge and revelation of Jesus Christ. For example, here

"But that's not all: He brought Jesus back to life and seated Him at his right hand, where he gets to stay for eternity. Jesus's resurrection means that we too can live forever with God after we die. "
is a perfect opportunity to explain the power of the gospel -the cross- (1Co 1:18, 23, 24, 2:2-4) in this life. People need to live now. They need power now. They need an escape now. People are far more interested in a gospel of power for this life, which is why Jesus came (abundant life).
We were put into the body of Christ at His cross by the Spirit of God (1Co 12:13, 2Co 5:14, Rom 6:3-4, Eph 4:5, 20-24, Col 2:12, 3:9-10, Gal 3:27).

Therefore,
we died when He died
were buried when He was buried
were raised when He was raised
--Col 2:9-12--
not just so we can live when we die, but so we can live now.

2Co 5:14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
2Co 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
2Co 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
2Co 5:18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
Christ died for our sins so we could die to our sins (Rom 6:2, 7, 11, 13, 8:10). So regardless of any problem, sin, or addiction, Christ is the grace of God for all men and for all things. In Him we have already been given all things that pertain to life and godliness. When temptation comes we simply believe we are dead to sin and the world and alive unto God and thank Him for it, and we over come all things in the power of His Spirit -walk in the Spirit -truth -gospel. All of it, not just a portion of it.

Oh, and I'm so glad to hear you understand "All our sins, past, present, and future" are forgiven. Unfortunately sin, instead of spreading the good news of eternal redemption, seems to be the main focus for much of the church. -dying daily when we are already crucified with Christ -asking for forgiveness for sins that are already forgiven etc....

Brother, kudos on an excellent post. I want to clarify though, on your last last paragraph in regards to future sins. I agree, if we are dead to sin and walking in the power of faith in that accomplished fact, indeed it is true, but how many are still believing they must sin a little bit every day, living still in Romans 7 but still counting on future sins being forgiven. For them, it simply is not true, for they are not walking in the faith of the gospel.

Bruce

Firstfruits
Apr 8th 2010, 11:58 AM
I know this is going to open up a can of worms here, but the idea that any future sins we commit are automatically forgiven is simply not scriptural. I can list many more, but God said "If we sin willfully after having recieved the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful looking for of judgement."

The gospel is in essence a trade, our life for His. We deserved death. He took it for us, paid the price for us and now owns us. We have, by accepting Him, given up our rights to our life, sold all our pearls, counted the cost of following Him, (which is the rights to us) and now yield ourselves to Him to mold us as He sees fit.

There is a "cost" to this free gift, and sadly, millions are resting in a salvation that they have heard that all is well, even if they sin. Thus, many, multitudes are walking in the world, content they have their ticket punched, when it is not he who starts to journey who gets eternal life, but he who endures to the end of the journey. Salvation is a walk, a journey, and forgiveness is but the entry into it.

Blessings, Bruce

Amen!

We have a duty to abide/endure.

Jn 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Jn 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

Firstfruits

Sirus
Apr 9th 2010, 01:05 AM
I want to clarify though, on your last last paragraph in regards to future sins. I agree, if we are dead to sin and walking in the power of faith in that accomplished fact, indeed it is true, but how many are still believing they must sin a little bit every day, living still in Romans 7 but still counting on future sins being forgiven. For them, it simply is not true, for they are not walking in the faith of the gospel.

BruceIt's still true (let God be true), some just do not know. Some do not deny it. They don't know it to be able to deny it. If they haven't been taught the whole gospel how can they walk in it?

Some do deny it, thinking Romans 6 is positional only and not meant to be believed into their experience. Some intentionally do this to continue in sin. These do so because they do not know the grace of God that has been given all men in Christ.

Tit 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Tit 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
Some do not do this intentionally. They just have not had the eyes of their understand enlightened to the mystery of Christ accomplished 2000 years ago. I was in this category for 17 years. I didn't want to sin. I hated it and loved what was right inwardly. But what I didn't want to do I did. I just didn't know how to perform that which is good. Paul had to realize this too. Would you say it wasn't true for the one that wrote Romans 7? Or would you say he just didn't know how to perform that which is good? That he didn't know Jesus crucified the body of sin that leads to death?

BadDog
Apr 10th 2010, 09:05 PM

NicoCorea,

The portion above is the gospel... the assumption is that the seeker understands who Jesus is, of course.

And don't listen to anyone who will insist that you add repentance, turning from sin, or any other form of good works. Keep it simple... just as you have it. Most of all... do share this gospel. :D

BD