PDA

View Full Version : The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak

Equipped_4_Love
Apr 9th 2010, 02:32 AM
Can someone please explain this? What exactly is the flesh in regards to this verse? If the flesh is overpowering the spirit, then I would think it would be "strong" and not "weak" so then why does Paul say that it is weak?

Is Paul referring to flesh as it relates to a person's will here, or as it relates to our carnality? For example, if God is telling me that I need to studty my Bible more, and I keep giving into distractions, that is my flesh overpowering my spirit, which doesn't make it weak, but strong. So, then, is Paul touching on something else when he is saying that the flesh is weak?

Gulah Papyrus
Apr 9th 2010, 03:04 AM
The spirit is willing = one's strength is in their spirit
The flesh is weak = one's weakness is in their flesh

:dunno:

jayne
Apr 9th 2010, 04:10 AM
The context is this:
Matthew 26:38-45

Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me."

Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."

Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?" he asked Peter. "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."

He went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done."

When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing.

Then he returned to the disciples and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? Look, the hour is near, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Rise, let us go! Here comes my betrayer!"

Think of it like this.

Suppose two boys are entering a three-legged race at field day. One of them is strong, motivated, healthy, and has a desire to win the race. The other is out-of-shape, lazy, sickly, and only wants to lay on the couch and play with his gameboy.

Their inner legs are tied together and off they go! But they don't win the race. They fall and the strong boy gets up. The lazy boy just lies there and doesn't even try. It was doomed from the start.

The strong boy is the willing spirit. The spirit that wants to obey God.

The flesh is the weak and lazy boy who falls down and won't even get up.

It isn't that the lazy boy overpowered the strong boy. The lazy boy held the strong boy back and interfered with the race.

Our spirit and flesh aren't in a competition with each other. We are spirit and flesh joined together. Just like the two boys were tied together for the race, our spirit and flesh make up our one being for this period of time on this earth.

Our spirit may be strong and willing, but our flesh fails us time and time again because as Jesus said in the above passage we do not "watch and pray".

The flesh does not conquer the spirit. The flesh is weak - as Jesus said - and the flesh is a stumbling block to our spirit.

theBelovedDisciple
Apr 9th 2010, 08:25 PM
The Spirit is stronger than the flesh.. we are called to be led of the Spirit... not our flesh...

flesh is not stronger than the Spirit... if thats the case then there would be no need for Jesus to Send the Comforter after He ascended..

we could of done it all in the power of our flesh.. but our flesh is weak.. because of what Happened in the Garden way back....

the 'flesh' is weak... and this is the Reason Christ came from Heaven and not thru adam's line...

His Flesh was Pure and without sin. and by nailing His Body to that Tree.. we may have 'life' thru the Spirit... not the flesh..

Jesus is the last Adam.. who was made a 'quickening Spirit'.. so that thru Him we can be Strong in the spirit thru the Spirit and not the 'flesh'.. which is weak..

not by power nor by might(the flesh), but by MY Spirit saith the LORD

Equipped_4_Love
Apr 10th 2010, 01:59 AM
Wonderful, everyone -- thanks :)

hnoor0077
May 2nd 2016, 05:51 AM
What exactly is the flesh in regards to this verse? If the flesh is overpowering the spirit, then I would think it would be "strong" and not "weak" so then why does Paul say that it is weak??????

Stonesoffire
May 5th 2016, 01:31 AM
Jesus said this to His disciples who had not yet received the "power".

Stonesoffire
May 5th 2016, 01:34 AM
Great post beloved disciple.

Gave me joy!

Noeb
May 5th 2016, 01:56 AM
What exactly is the flesh in regards to this verse? If the flesh is overpowering the spirit, then I would think it would be "strong" and not "weak" so then why does Paul say that it is weak??????Flesh is weak in doing God's will.

Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

The spirit (man's) wants to do what is good but without His Cross/resurrection does not know how to perform that which is good -Rom 7:18.

trance750
May 5th 2016, 10:08 AM
The 'flesh is weak' when we allow ourselves to give in to sin

ewq1938
May 6th 2016, 01:52 AM
Can someone please explain this? What exactly is the flesh in regards to this verse? If the flesh is overpowering the spirit, then I would think it would be "strong" and not "weak" so then why does Paul say that it is weak?

Is Paul referring to flesh as it relates to a person's will here, or as it relates to our carnality? For example, if God is telling me that I need to studty my Bible more, and I keep giving into distractions, that is my flesh overpowering my spirit, which doesn't make it weak, but strong. So, then, is Paul touching on something else when he is saying that the flesh is weak?

Paul didn't write "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak ". That is something Jesus said.