PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Heb 12:24

ThyWordIsTruth
Apr 10th 2010, 02:23 AM
I'll paste the entire section to give some context.

Heb 12:22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering,
Heb 12:23 and to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect,
Heb 12:24 and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

The writer is trying to persuade the Jews that the new covenant they have is much superior to the old one.

What I need help understanding is the phrase in v24 where it says the "sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel."

What does this mean exactly?
- what does "word" refer to?
- what does the phrase "speaks a better word" mean?
- does "blood of Abel refer to Abel's sacrifices of animals, or to Abel's own blood?
- what does the phrase as a whole mean?

Thanks.

th1bill
Apr 10th 2010, 05:07 AM
in order to find the context one must read no less than v.18-29 and the illustration demonstrates that the blood of Jesus, the Covenant found in the New Testament, is, by far, superior to the blood of Able, the Covenant with Judaism and Paul is seeking to keep those that have converted from falling back. For more clarity you might want to check Matthew Henry's commentary on the complete Bible.

Nomad
Apr 10th 2010, 02:41 PM

It simply means that Christ's blood 'proclaims a better message' than that of Abel's animal sacrifices. Abel's sacrifices were mere shadows and types of Christ's sacrifice of atonement. Animal sacrifices were only temporary coverings meant to lead to Christ who would, as John says, "take(s) away the sin of the world."

- does "blood of Abel refer to Abel's sacrifices of animals, or to Abel's own blood?

There are those who think it refers to Abel's blood shed by Cain. I think this is a mistake. The comparison being made in Heb. 12:24 is between the message proclaimed by two blood sacrifices. Abel's own sin-tainted spilled blood was no sacrifice for sin at all. Therefore, I believe that the "blood of Abel" refers to Abel's animal sacrifices.

Firstfruits
Apr 10th 2010, 03:07 PM

Heb 12:22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering,
Heb 12:23 and to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect,
Heb 12:24 and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

The writer is trying to persuade the Jews that the new covenant they have is much superior to the old one.

What I need help understanding is the phrase in v24 where it says the "sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel."

Thanks.

The law of Moses was sealed with the spinkling of blood, Christs blood is better.

Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Heb 9:18 Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood.
Heb 9:19 For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people,
Heb 9:20 Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you.
Heb 9:21 Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry.
Heb 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Firstfruits

Servant89
Apr 10th 2010, 05:33 PM
Jesus is the last Adam, He is also the last one that shed innocent blood that speaks to God.

Mt 23:35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.

Gen 4:10 And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.

Shalom

BroRog
Apr 10th 2010, 06:50 PM

Thanks.

Then the Lord said to Cain, "Where is Abel your brother?" He said, "I do not know. Am I my brother's keeper?" And He said, "What have you done? The voice of your brother's blood cries out to Me from the ground. Genesis 4:9-10

Therefore, indeed, I send you prophets, wise men, and scribes: some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city, that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. Matthew 23:34-35

When the Lamb broke the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God, and because of the testimony which they had maintained; and they cried out with a loud voice, saying, "How long, O Lord, holy and true, will You refrain from judging and avenging our blood on those who dwell on the earth?" Revelation 6:9-10

Question: Who is this who comes from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah, glorious in His apparel, traveling in the greatness of His strength?

Answer: I who speak in righteousness, mighty to save.

Question: Why is Your apparel red, and Your garments like one who treads in the winepress?

Answer: I have trodden the winepress alone, and from the peoples no one was with Me. For I have trodden them in My anger, and trampled them in My fury; Their blood is sprinkled upon My garments, and I have stained all My robes. For the day of vengeance is in My heart, and the year of My redeemed has come. Isaiah 63:1-4

ThyWordIsTruth
Apr 12th 2010, 03:28 AM
everyone, thanks for the replies..

however it seems we don't have a consensus, some believe the blood to be Abel's blood while others believe its speaking of the animal sacrifices of Abel...

BroRog, would you mind elaborating a little from the Scripture quotations?

ThyWordIsTruth
Apr 12th 2010, 03:32 AM
ah...found a clear explaination in the People's New Testament commentary which gives a clear and possible explaination:

12:24 To Jesus the mediator of the new covenant. To fellowship with Jesus, the Mediator of the New Covenant as Moses was of the Old.

And to the blood of sprinkling. To Christ's atoning blood by which our hearts are sprinkled from an evil conscience (Heb 10:22).

That speaketh better things than that of Abel. Abel's blood cried for vengeance; Christ's pleads for mercy.

I think the comparison between Abel's blood (crying for vengence) and Christ's blood (pleads for mercy) is again a comparison of the old covenent and the new.

In the old covenant, transgression of the Law brought about vengence and punishment (stoning, etc.) while the new covenant speaks of better things, of mercy. Does anyone disagree?

BroRog
Apr 12th 2010, 04:20 AM
everyone, thanks for the replies..

however it seems we don't have a consensus, some believe the blood to be Abel's blood while others believe its speaking of the animal sacrifices of Abel...

BroRog, would you mind elaborating a little from the Scripture quotations?Sure. The contrast is between "the sprinkled blood" and "the blood of Abel."

Sprinkled blood:

It's tempting to think of the "sprinkled blood" as that of Jesus, but in actuality, Jesus' blood wasn't sprinkled on anything. It flowed from his hands, his feet, and his side, but I don't recall that it was scattered haphazardly around. So I began to look for other options.

Blood of Abel:

Abel offered a sacrifice to God, which demonstrated his faith toward God. This might be the focus of his comparison. But the idea that his brother killed him because he was righteous is a common, universal theme in the Bible and for this reason, I think the author of Hebrews is focused on the blood of Abel.

The contrast: Righteous blood shed on the earth.

In Matthew 23, for instance, Jesus calls a woe down on the leaders of Israel implicating them in the murder of the prophets and holding them accountable for all the "righteous blood" shed on the earth. This is a common theme in the Bible. As John puts it,

For this is the message which you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another; not as Cain, who was of the evil one and slew his brother And for what reason did he slay him? Because his deeds were evil, and his brother's were righteous. Do not be surprised, brethren, if the world hates you. 1John 3:11-13The story of Cain and Abel stands as the archetype for the constant battle between the sons of light and the sons of darkness in which the sons of darkness hate the sons of light because their deeds are evil and the deeds of the sons of light are righteous.

The account in Revelation 6 speaks about the same thing using symbolic language. The righteous souls cry out for vengeance, "When are you going to avenge our blood oh Lord?" The blood of Abel cries out for vengeance too. How long is the Lord going to allow the wicked to kill the righteous and get away with it? The righteous blood of Abel speaks from the ground, which is a good thing. But a better thing will be when God actually takes vengeance for it.

Shedding the blood of those who shed the blood of the righteous:

A better "sprinkling of blood" is the blood that God will pour out as he takes vengeance on those who persecuted and killed the righteous. I notice this theme in Isaiah 63 in which the prophet pictures God covered in the blood of his enemies, sprinkled on his garments, as he takes vengeance on his enemies in the "year of his redeemed."

John146
Apr 13th 2010, 02:21 PM
ah...found a clear explaination in the People's New Testament commentary which gives a clear and possible explaination:

12:24 To Jesus the mediator of the new covenant. To fellowship with Jesus, the Mediator of the New Covenant as Moses was of the Old.

And to the blood of sprinkling. To Christ's atoning blood by which our hearts are sprinkled from an evil conscience (Heb 10:22).

That speaketh better things than that of Abel. Abel's blood cried for vengeance; Christ's pleads for mercy.

I think the comparison between Abel's blood (crying for vengence) and Christ's blood (pleads for mercy) is again a comparison of the old covenent and the new.

In the old covenant, transgression of the Law brought about vengence and punishment (stoning, etc.) while the new covenant speaks of better things, of mercy. Does anyone disagree?I agree. I believe that is the correct explanation. It speaks of Christ's blood as being sprinkled because it covers the sins of those who believe in Him. It speaks of Moses having "sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry" (Heb 9:22), which was a pattern and foreshadowing of Christ's blood being symbolically sprinkled upon all those who believe in Him and covering their sins. So, like the commentary says, while Abel's blood cried for vengeance, the blood of Christ pleads for mercy and that is why "the sprinkled blood...speaks a better word than the blood of Abel".

virgilio viclar
Apr 15th 2010, 09:47 AM

Thanks.

hi...TWIT,
let me call you trough your initial,this is a very good thread,but need a very deep searching on the spiritual meaning of it.in actual scenes ,the blood of Jesus flowed from his hand and feets and on
the sides of his body were spear were pierce.the word springkled blood was poured out and was
committed to his apostle the word of reconcilliation.
yes,it speak a better word than blood of Abel,which seek vengeance but the blood of Jesus seek for
mercy on us;that through the word that his blood spake,we could be born again and received
remission of our sin through this incorruptible words of God that liveth and abideth forever.
thank you.