PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Leviticus (2)

Frances
Apr 26th 2010, 05:03 PM
Leviticus

Quote (Re. David Pawson)” When we read the Old Testament it can be helpful to imagine that we are Jewish. For a Jewish person the reason for reading Leviticus is clear: it is a matter of life and death.

“Leviticus talks of man’s approach to God . . . about the dedication of God’s people to Him . . . (it) begins with thank offerings, explaining how people can show their gratitude to God for being set free (from Egypt). . . . it shows that God expects something from us. Once again we are reminded that we are saved in order to serve. Exodus shows how God saved His people, but Leviticus explains how they are to serve Him . . .
God expects the people He liberates to be like Him and not like those around them . . . it is the key that unlocks the whole book. When God tells them they must not do something, it is because the people around them are doing it but they must be different . . . if God Saves you He expects you to be like Him. He expects you to live His Way and to be holy as He is Holy.”

Leviticus 1

What does the text say?- the Lord told Moses to tell His people about offerings to make atonement for their Sins. Cattle and sheep must be a free-will offering of a male without blemish, which they must kill in the prescribed fashion. If the offering is of birds they must bring turtledoves or young pigeons which the priest will kill in a specific way.

Application? - Do I ever attempt to ‘buy’ God’s Forgiveness in a pre-Christian way, with what I give up for Him?

Frances
Apr 27th 2010, 05:10 PM
Leviticus 2

What does the text say? – the Lord requirement for grain offerings; they must be of fine flour with salt, oil and frankincense on it. The priest must burn the handful containing the frankincense, then keep the rest for their own use. If the offering is cooked in any way it must be unleavened, made with oil and salt, a portion will be burnt on the altar and the rest belongs to the priests. No raising agent or honey must be burnt in any offering to the Lord. A grain offering of First-fruits must be green heads of grain roasted and beaten, with oil and frankincense; the priest will burn the portion containing the frankincense and keep the rest.

Application? – Do I offer the best I have to the Lord? Do I accept my responsibility of providing part the necessary funds for the Lord’s work to continue?

Frances
Apr 28th 2010, 05:06 PM
Leviticus 3

What does the text say?- If the offering to the Lord is a Peace offering of male or female cattle goats or sheep it must be perfect, having no defects of any kind. The person offering the animal must kill it at the door of the Tabernacle of meeting, then the priest will sprinkle the blood all around on the altar. The fat that covers the entrails, both kidneys, and the fat around them near the loins, and the long lobe of the liver, must be burnt by the priest. The fat of sheep burnt must include the fat of the broad tail cut near the backbone. No fat or blood must ever be consumed.

Application? – Do I ever eat any animal’s fat or blood?

Frances
Apr 29th 2010, 06:49 PM
Leviticus 4

What does the text say? – The Lord told Moses that if anyone sins unintentionally against Him by breaking any of His Commandments, even the entire nation, or an anointed priest whose sin brings guilt upon all the people, they must offer a young bull as a sin offering; all the fat must be burnt with the kidneys, the blood must be used to anoint the horns of the altar of incense and the rest poured at the base of the burnt offering altar; the rest of the bull must be burnt outside the camp. If the ruler sins unintentionally he must offer a male kid, a ‘common person’ must offer a female kid or a lamb if they sin unintentionally.

Application? – Jesus’ Sacrifice of Himself on the Cross, when He died in my place, paying my penalty for all the unintentional sin I repent of, means the only offering God will accept now is my unconditional faith in what He has done, and obedience, to Him.

Frances
Apr 30th 2010, 05:12 PM
Leviticus 5

What does the text say? – The Lord told Moses it is a Sin for anyone to refuse to testify under oath of what they have seen. Guilt regarding touching a carcase of anything ‘unclean’, or of anything that makes a person unclean, must be confessed as Sin. The penalty is a Sin offering of a female sheep or goat, those not able to do this must offer 2 turtledoves or pigeons, or if even this is too expensive four pints of fine flour with no oil or frankincense on it. If anyone Sins by defiling the Lord’s property unintentionally an offering of a ram without blemish and restitution of the value of the damage plus 20%. Violating one of the Lord’s Commands, even unawares, is a Sin and an offering of a ram must be made.

Application? – I must always confess every Sin, as soon as I realise what I’ve done; if I repent of it trusting Jesus’ blood to have paid my penalty God will Forgive me.

Frances
May 1st 2010, 05:44 PM
Leviticus 6

What does the text say? – The Lord said that if anyone Sinned against Him by lying to, or stealing from, an associate or committing fraud, or telling lies about something they found, or when swearing to tell the truth, they must make full restitution and add 20% more to it; and on the same day a Guilt offering must be made to the Lord of a ram with no defects. Details regarding burnt offerings were given for Aaron and his descendants, and a reminder that the fire on the altar must never go out. Only Aaron and his male descendants could eat unleavened bread made in the court of the Tabernacle from the flour of the grain offerings, and everyone who touched it must be holy. Starting on the day Aaron and his sons were anointed they must offer 2 pints of fine flour, morning and evening, cooked with oil on a griddle. Aaron’s (or whoever took his place’s) portion must be completely burnt. The Sin offering being most holy only could only be eaten by male priests in the Court of the Tabernacle, and everyone who touched it must be holy. The Sin offeMeal-Offerings: of grain, flour or cakes without leaven: a handful was burnt: the rest was for the priest. Peace-Offerings: of cattle, sheep or goats: the fat was burned the rest eaten, partly by priests, partly by the offerers.
Sin-Offerings and Trespass-Offerings: different offerings for different Sins: the rest, in some cases was burned outside the camp, and in some cases eaten by the priests. When wrong had been done to another, restitution with 1/5 added had to be made before the Offering.
As well as the (above) Offerings there were Drink-Offerings, Wave-Offerings, Heave-Offerings, and appendages to other offerings.”
ring must not be eaten if it’s blood was taken into the Tabernacle for purification in the Holy Place – it must be completely burned.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) re. Various kinds of Offerings:-
“Burnt-Offerings: of bullocks, rams, goats, doves, pigeons, were wholly burned, signifying Self-Dedication to God.
Meal-Offerings: of grain, flour or cakes without leaven: a handful was burnt: the rest was for the priest.
Peace-Offerings: of cattle, sheep or goats: the fat was burned the rest eaten, partly by priests, partly by the offerers.
Sin-Offerings and Trespass-Offerings: different offerings for different Sins: the rest, in some cases was burned outside the camp, and in some cases eaten by the priests. When wrong had been done to another, restitution with 1/5 added had to be made before the Offering.
As well as the (above) Offerings there were Drink-Offerings, Wave-Offerings, Heave-Offerings, and appendages to other offerings.”

Frances
May 2nd 2010, 04:51 PM
Leviticus 7

What does the text say? – There is a Law for both Guilt and Sin offerings. The priest who officiates at them is entitled to the meat and skin, apart from the fat of the sheep’s tail and the kidneys, liver and suet, which must be burnt. Cooked grain offerings also belong to the officiating priest, all other grain offerings belong to all the priests. If a Peace offering is a Thanksgiving the animal must be accompanied by unleavened and leavened bread which will belong to the priest; the offerer must eat the meat that same day, unless it was to fulfil a vow or offered voluntarily when an extra day is allowed before the remainder is burnt. Those who touch any unclean thing then eat a Peace offering will be cut off from the community. No fat may be eaten from cattle, sheep or goats. No blood of any animal or bird may be consumed. The breast and right leg of Peace offerings must always be given to the officiating priest.

Application? - A Guilt or Sin offering benefits the priest who officiates. Cooked grain offerings belongs to the officiating priest. Uncooked grain offerings belong to all the priests. Peace offerings are for the offerers to enjoy (with family/friends) bread offered with the animal belong to the officiating priest. Touching anything unclean then eating anything offered to the Lord is a grave offence. Do I eat anything made with suet? Do I eat anything with blood in it? Church leaders are entitled to obtain their living from their efforts for the Lord.

Frances
May 3rd 2010, 05:16 PM
Leviticus 8

What does the text say? – Aaron and his sons were consecrated to the Lord in front of the congregation of Israel, who stood at the door of the Tabernacle. This involved washing and dressing them. Aaron with a tunic, sash, robe, ephod, and breastplate with Urim and Thummim in it, and a turban with a golden plate on which was engraved “Holiness to the Lord”. Aaron’s sons were dressed in tunics, sashes, and headpieces. Moses anointed the Tabernacle and everything in it with oil to consecrate them to the Lord. A bull was sacrificed as a Sin offering and Moses used it’s blood to purify the altar and consecrate it, then he burned the entrails and suet of the bull on the altar, then burned the remainder of it outside the camp. One ram was, after preparation, burned on the altar, and another was killed and some of it’s blood put on top of Aaron and his son’s right ears, on their thumbs, and the big toe of their right feet. Then Moses gave Aaron and his sons the entrails, suet, kidneys, liver and right thigh and some unleavened bread to wave before the altar ; Moses sprinkled some of the oil and blood from the altar on Aaron and his sons, and told them to boil the flesh, apart from the breast which belonged to Moses, at the door of the Tabernacle, eat it and the bread. Anything left must be burnt. They must not go outside of the Tabernacle for seven days and nights.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “The High Priest’s garment (Ex. 28) were a Robe of blue with bells at the bottom: an Ephod, which was a sort of cape, two pieces joined at the shoulders hanging, one over front, one over back, with an onyx stone over each shoulder, each bearing the names of six of the tribes; made of gold, blue, purple, scarlet and fine linen. A breastplate, about ten inches square of gold, blue, purple, scarlet and fine linen, double, open at the top, fastened with gold chains to the Ephod, adorned with twelve precious stones each bearing the name of a tribe, containing the Urim and Thummim, which were used to learn the Will of God – but what they were is not known.”

Frances
May 4th 2010, 05:38 PM
Leviticus 9 + 10

What does the text say?- 8 days after the Ordination of Aaron and his sons Moses gathered the Priests and the Elders of Israel and told Aaron to offer to the Lord a Sin offering of a bull and a burnt offering of a ram, and to tell the people to provide a goat’s kid for a Sin offering, and a calf and lamb for a Burnt offering, also a bull and ram as Peace offerings and a Grain offering mixed with oil, for the Lord would appear to them – which He did when He Burnt the offering on the altar. Then Nadab, and Abihu, 2 of Aaron’s sons, put fire and incense in their censers to offer it to the Lord, but as He had not told them to He burnt them to death. The Lord told Moses He must be regarded as Holy and Glorified. The Lord told Aaron that neither he, nor his descendants, were to drink alcohol when in the Tabernacle to ensure clarity of mind when teaching the Lord’s Ways.

Application? – Do I expect the Lord to accept whatever I want to give Him? and to be pleased with my offering? or do I offer Him my obedience? Do I fully realise the extent that alcohol dulls my senses? Do I accept Jesus’ death on the Cross as being my Sin offering, my Guilt offering, my Peace offering and my Grain offering?

Frances
May 5th 2010, 05:03 PM
Leviticus 11

What does the text say? – The animals the Lord permitted His people to eat were those that have cloven hooves and chew their cud, but not camels or pigs that have cloven hooves but don’t chew cud, or hares and rock badgers that chew cud but don’t have cloven hooves; only those found in seas and rivers that have scales and fins may be eaten. Bird, except birds of prey, may be eaten and winged insects may only be eaten if their legs are jointed allowing them to jump. Touching any other live or dead animal, bird, fish of insect makes a person impure until evening after they have washed, and also any of those allowed for food that died of natural causes. As God is Holy, His people must also be set apart from others by what they eat.

Application? – Does my diet contain any ‘forbidden’ birds, animals, inhabitants of sea or river? or insects that don’t have wings or cannot jump?
(Mark 7:19) Jesus seems to have said that everything is acceptable for food.

Frances
May 6th 2010, 06:18 PM
Leviticus 12+13

What does the text say?- After giving birth a woman must give a Burnt offering of a lamb and Sin offering of a pigeon, or if she cannot afford a lamb, 2 pigeons or turtledoves. They must be offered after 33 days if the baby is a boy, or after 66 days if a girl was born. The priest is responsible for determining if a person has a contagious disease or not, and isolating an infected person from the community so the infection does not spread. If fabric or leather is contaminated by mildew the Priest must quarantine the article for 7 days to determine if it is spreading, if it is it must be burnt, if not it must be washed then if the marks have not faded in 7 days must be burnt.

Application? – The Lord is concerned about every detail of His people’s lives; He gave Laws for their well-being.

Frances
May 7th 2010, 04:16 PM
Leviticus 14+15

What does the text say?- Laws regarding leprosy, also cleanliness after emission of semen and during and after menstruation.

Application? – The personal hygiene of His people is important to the Lord, is it important to me too?

Leviticus 16

What does the text say? – Aaron could not go into the Holy Place behind the veil in the Tabernacle where the Ark was when he pleased, but only washed and correctly dressed, with the blood of a young bull as a Sin offering and of a ram as a burnt offering to make atonement for himself and his family; the congregation of Israel must donate two kids as their Sin offering and a ram for a Burnt offering. One of the goats must be killed, the other, the Scapegoat that Aaron had confessed all the Sins of the people over, must be taken into the wilderness and set free. No one else could be in the Tabernacle when Aaron went into the Holy place to make Atonement. The ceremony of Atonement must be carried out on the 10th day of the 7th month each year, a Sabbath of solemn rest when no work may be done.

Application? – These ceremonies ensured due reverence for Almighty God. The removal of sin was only for the year. Do I always treat the Lord with the reverence He deserves?

Frances
May 8th 2010, 04:28 PM
Leviticus 17

What does the text say? – The Lord, through Moses, told the Israelites that anyone killing an animal without making an offering to Him, or if anyone made a sacrifice to a false god, they must be executed for shedding blood, as must anyone consuming blood, as the life of the body is in the blood. It is blood given in exchange for a life that makes purification possible for the soul. Any bird or animal that is eaten must have had all the blood drained from it’s body; if anything killed by wild animals or dying naturally is eaten it necessitates washing the body and clothes and, even then, impurity until evening.

Application? – Do I every eat meat with blood in it?(Acts 15:28-29)

Leviticus 18

What does the text say? – The Lord told Moses His people must not imitate the way of life of either the Egyptians or Canaanites, but must obey His decrees so they would enjoy life. He permits no intercourse between close relatives, or with any woman during her menstruation, or with anyone married to another. No child may be sacrificed to any god. Homosexuality is an abhorrent abomination, as is bestiality, it is because the people in the Promised land defiled themselves in these way that the Lord will disposes them.

Application? – Is incest, homosexuality, or bestiality practiced in my nation? If so we are all under God’s Judgement.

Frances
May 9th 2010, 05:07 PM
Leviticus 19

What does the text say? – The Lord said all of His people must be holy (set apart from others) because He is Holy. Parents are entitled to respect. The Sabbath must be observed. No idols may be made or worshipped. The Lord only accepts Peace offerings from those who keep His rules. Grain and grapes from headlands or corners, and the gleanings, must be left for the poor and foreigners. Do not steal, deceive or cheat. Do not swear falsely using His Name. Do not defraud or rob your neighbour. Pay your workers promptly. Don’t insult the deaf or make the blind stumble. Don’t twist justice by favouring either the poor or rich, but always judge fairly. Don’t spread slanderous gossip, or allow a neighbour’s life to be in jeopardy. Don’t nurse a grudge or seek revenge but confront folk directly. Love your neighbour as yourself. Obey all God’s decrees. Don’t plant a field with different crops or wear clothing woven from different kinds of thread. A man who has sex with a slave girl bought as a concubine must pay full compensation to her master and make a Guilt offering to the Lord. The fruit of newly planted fruit trees must not be gathered for 3 years, the 4th year’s crop belongs to the Lord, the 5th and subsequent crops may be eaten. Don’t practice fortune-telling or witchcraft, or have tattoos. Don’t make your daughter a prostitute. Keep the Sabbath and revere the Lord’s sanctuary. Do not consult Mediums or those who consult the spirits of the dead. Show respect for the elderly. Don’t take advantage of foreigners. Don’t use dishonest standards for weight, length or volume, but ensure they are accurate.

Application? – Does everything I do or say bring Glory to the Lord? Or do those who know me have any excuse to denigrate the One I worship because of y behaviour? Do I always treat others as I would like to be treated myself? Do I read horoscopes ‘for fun’? Have I allowed my flesh to be tattooed? Have I been to a spiritualist church? Do I keep Sunday special? Or do I allow it to blend in with ungodly lifestyles? Am I always honest?

Frances
May 10th 2010, 07:33 PM
Leviticus 20

What does the text say? – The Lord said anyone who consults Mediums or sacrifices their child to Molech, and all who ignore others involved in these awful practices, must be executed. God’s people must be holy - different from those around them, because He is Holy. The Lord’s people must abide by all His requirements. Sexual purity in all respects is paramount; His Laws regarding the eating of meat are also very important. Anyone who is a Medium contacting demonic powers must be executed.

Application? - Anyone who sacrifices the life of a child, hoping by so doing to improve their own life, (eg. abortion) is abhorrent to the Lord. Does my morality Glorify the Lord God?

Note:- Molech was a hollow, metal, figure. A fire was prepared at it’s base, a child placed in the ‘arms’ and the fire lit; trying to escape the hot metal the child fell into the flames!!

Quote :- (Henry H. Halley) “Moses Law, in it’s insistence on personal morality, personal equality, and it’s consideration for the old and young, for slave and enemy, for animals, and it’s health and food regulations, was far purer, rational, humane and democratic than, and showed wisdom far in advance of, anything in ancient legislation – Babylonian, Egyptian or any other. It was the ‘modern miracle’ of the pre-Christian world.

Frances
May 11th 2010, 06:40 PM
Leviticus 21

What does the text say? - The Lord said that a priest must not be contaminated by death; the only exceptions are his closest relatives - his parents, his son or daughter, his brother or virgin sister, but not those only related to him by marriage. Priests must not shave their heads, trim their beards, or cut their bodies. Priests must be different from other folk and never bring shame on God’s Name. No priest may marry a divorcee or a prostitute – if a priest’s daughter is a prostitute she must be burned to death. The High Priest must always comb his hair and never tear his clothing, or go near any dead body even that of his mother or father, and he may only marry a virgin from his own clan. None of Aaron’s descendants who has a bodily imperfection may minister in the Temple, though he may eat the priest’s portion of the offerings.

Application? – Christ gave His life for the Church to make her holy, cleansed by God’s Word, to present her to Himself, holy and without blemish. (Eph. 6:26-27) Have I repented and accepted His Sacrifice to pay the penalty for my Sin? Do I submit every area of my life to Jesus Christ?

Frances
May 12th 2010, 04:26 PM
Leviticus 22

What does the text say? - The Lord said if any of Aaron’s descendants contaminates what His people offer to Him by their own impurity they will be cut off from Him. None of Aaron’s descendants who is a leper, or has a discharge or emission of semen, or touches a corpse, or anything specified that would make him unclean may not eat holy offerings until after he has washed and the sun has set. All animals offered to the Lord must be perfect in every way or they will not be accepted. No unauthorised person may eat sacred offerings brought to the Lord.

Application? – Is anything I offer the Lord blemished in any way? I must be very careful how I apply Scripture to each situation to ensure I do not expand, or detract, from what is written to include, or exclude, anyone.

Note:- I’ve met someone who’d had polio as a child and was subsequently told by a JW that as her body was imperfect she was unacceptable to God!!! Fortunately she knew both God and His Word well enough to happily declare them wrong, but what if she hadn’t?

Frances
May 13th 2010, 05:40 PM
Leviticus 23

What does the text say? – The Feasts of the Lord are:-
Sabbath – each 7th day
Passover – 14th of the first month.
Firstfruits – beginning of harvest.
Weeks – 50 days later.
Trumpets – First day of 7th month.
Atonement – 10th of 7th month.
Tabernacles – 15th of 7th month for 7 days.

Application? – apart from free-will offerings to the Lord’s work, do I keep one day each week especially to worship Him? Do I celebrate Easter for what Jesus accomplished when He offered Himself as my Passover lamb, (Ex.12;1-28)? Or do I just consider it a time for fun? Do I give the Lord the right to my income? Do I give a portion to His Work? Do I ensure others know of the Lord, His Gifts, and His Power? Have I accepted Jesus’ offer of Salvation? Do I regard my holiday as a time for me just to have fun or a time to be with, and Glorify, the Lord?

Frances
May 14th 2010, 05:58 PM
Leviticus 24

What does the text say? – The people were commanded to take Aaron pure pressed olive oil to keep the lamps at the Tabernacle burning continuously; and also given instructions for the bread of the tabernacle to be renewed each Sabbath. The penalty for blasphemy is death by the hands of the whole congregation. The same penalty shall befall anyone committing murder. Anyone who kills an animal shall reimburse the owner with a similar replacement. If a man injures anyone a similar injury must be inflicted on him eg. a fracture for a fracture, an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, death if a person is killed.

Application? – Do I ensure the Light of Christ burns brightly, and constantly, in my heart and neighbourhood? Do I contribute towards the needs of the clergy each week? Do I play my part in ensuring the Name of the Lord is Glorified? Would I always be happy to receive the same treatment I give others? Would I be wise to always treat others with kindness and compassion in future?

Frances
May 15th 2010, 05:22 PM
Leviticus 25

What does the text say? – The Lord said that in their Promised Land every 7th year His people must not prune, sow or harvest; He will ensure the harvest every 6th year is sufficient for their 7th year needs. Every 50 years will be a Jubilee when everyone may return to their ancestral land. The land, bought or sold, is a leasehold agreement only and returns to the original family in the 50th year, and must be priced accordingly. The land belongs to the Lord. The security of the people depends on their obedience to Him. If anyone sells either his land or himself a close relative has the right to redeem him (buy him back). Houses in walled cities may be redeemed within a year, or become the new owner’s permanent property; houses in other places may be redeemed at any time and must be returned to the original owner in the Jubilee year, as must a man who sold himself – he must be released with his children. The descendants of Israel (Jacob) are God’s servants and must not treat each other severely.

Application? – my security depends on my obedience to the Lord. Jesus Christ has paid to Redeem me, have I accepted His offer? Does my treatment of others who have accepted Jesus’ offer of Salvation too always please Him?

Quote:- the Number 7 (Henry H. Halley)
Every 7th day a Sabbath.
Every 7th year a Sabbath year
Every 7th Sabbath followed by a Jubilee year.
Every 7th month . . . having 3 feasts.
7 weeks between Passover and Pentecost.
Passover Feast lasted 7 days.
At Passover 14 lambs (2x7) were offered daily.
At Tabernacles 14 lambs (2x7) were offered daily and 70 bullocks.
At Pentecost 7 lambs were offered.

Frances
May 16th 2010, 05:18 PM
Leviticus 26

What does the text say? – The Lord said His people must not bow down to any sort of idol, ‘sacred’ pillar or stone, they must revere His Sanctuary and observe the Sabbath. If His people are obedient to Him their harvests will always be more than sufficient for their needs, they will enjoy peace and easily overpower their enemies. But if His people do not obey Him, and do not keep all His Commandments, but treat His regulations with contempt, He will cause them to fear sickness and enemies who will take their harvests, defeat them, and rule over them. Continuing disobedience to Him will bring disaster in many ways, and He will carry out the curse of the Covenant they have broken. When His people turn back to Him and confess their unfaithfulness and that of their forebears, He will once again be their God and care for them.

Application? – Have I made anything my idol? What, or who, takes precedence in my life? Do I keep one day each week specially for the Lord, in the way He requires of me? Am I always obedient to Him? When I trust Him through each difficulty I enjoy His Peace in my mind. Do I always confess each deviation from His Will as Sin? (or a normal, acceptable, human failing?) My nation will, once again, enjoy prosperity and Peace when the whole nation turns back to God. What am I doing to bring this about?

Quote:- (Rev. David Pawson) “A holy life . . . is how you live from Monday to Saturday and not just what you do on Sunday. God is looking for not just clean people, but holy people. That is a big difference, and until you become a Christian you never think of becoming holy; you just think of being good – and that is not good enough. Those outside the Church may claim they can live lives as good as the lives of those within it, but they are not the holy people God is looking for.

Frances
May 17th 2010, 04:41 PM
Leviticus 27

What does the text say? – A scale of values to redeem a person dedicated to the Lord. An animal dedicated to the Lord must be valued by the priest and 20% added to redeem it. A field dedicated to the Lord will be valued according to the amount of seed needed to sow it each year, and to redeem it 20% must be added. If the dedicated field is not redeemed but sold, in the Jubilee year it will not return to the original owner but to the priest. The first-born of every clean animal already belongs to the Lord so cannot be dedicated, but the first-born of an unclean animal may be dedicated and redeemed by adding a 20% to it’s valuation. No person doomed to destruction may be redeemed but must be put to death. 10% of the produce of the land, whether grain or fruit, belongs to the Lord, but may be bought back at valuation plus 20%. Every 10th animal in flocks and herds belongs to the Lord and cannot be bought back.

Application? – Do I give 10% of my income (before tax) to the Lord?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “ The tithe was in use long before the time of Moses. Abraham and Jacob paid tithes. Among the Jews the tithe was for the support of the Levites (who) were used in civil government as well as religious services (1Chron. 23). God claimed as His own not only the first-born sons . . and first-born of all flocks and herds, but also the first fruits of the land . . . The lesson: God must come first in life.”

Quote:- (David Pawson)”Leviticus tells us to be holy in every part of our lives. . . God . . applies His holiness to every part of His people’s lives. A Godly life is Godly through and through, or it is not Godly at all. There are two major shifts between the holiness of the old Covenant and the holiness of the New. First, holiness is moved from material to moral things. Being ‘clean’ or ‘unclean’ is no longer a matter of clothes and food, but of clean and unclean morality; it has shifted from the material to the moral. Second, the rewards and punishments have shifted from this life to the next . . . because in the New Testament we have a longer-term view. Given those major shifts, Leviticus gives us insights into those 4 vital things: the Holiness of God, the Sinfulness of man, the Fullness of Christ, and Godliness of life.”

Frances
May 18th 2010, 06:14 PM
.................................................. .......................................