PDA

View Full Version : I really love God, but....

Equipped_4_Love
May 2nd 2010, 01:58 AM
.....it just seems like whatever I say to Him to express that love is just inadequate. I spend the majority of my time longing and yearning to grow deeper into fellowship with Him. I have expressed my longings for deeper fellowship to Him, but it just seems like I am at a standstill.

I am trying not to rely on my emotions, and believing that God is hearing my prayers and answering them, but I am wondering if perhaps there is some way to grow deeper and more intimate with God. I want to know Him on the deepest level possible, as my soul is constantly craving Him.

Frecs
May 2nd 2010, 03:06 AM
Rom 8:26-27 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what [is] the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to [the will of] God.

When I find my words inadequate, I allow the Holy Spirit to intercede for me. This is why "tongues" as a prayer language comes into play as it is through this method of communication that I'm able to get expressed what is in my heart that my human words can not begin to express.

I think it should always be our heart's desire to draw closer to God. I want to be so close that I can hear His heart beat....

Butch5
May 2nd 2010, 03:20 AM
.....it just seems like whatever I say to Him to express that love is just inadequate. I spend the majority of my time longing and yearning to grow deeper into fellowship with Him. I have expressed my longings for deeper fellowship to Him, but it just seems like I am at a standstill.

I am trying not to rely on my emotions, and believing that God is hearing my prayers and answering them, but I am wondering if perhaps there is some way to grow deeper and more intimate with God. I want to know Him on the deepest level possible, as my soul is constantly craving Him.

Just keep praying, I prayed for a long time that God would show me how to study the Scriptures. It was some years but that prayer was answered. I was lead to people who understood the Scriptures and I learned how to study them also.

Equipped_4_Love
May 2nd 2010, 04:17 AM
Thats awesome, you 2. Thanks.

Frecs -- I agree with what you're saying. I received the gift of tongues when I was very young, but lost it when I strayed from God. Indeed, it was a very powerful and intimate form of communication with God.

Butch -- How did you learn to study the Bible? Did it bring you into deeper fellowship with God?

crossnote
May 2nd 2010, 04:20 AM
There is a growth that excels our own strivings. It comprises in this..He knows the swill that lies deep in our hearts even though we would say as Peter, "Though all forsake you Lord, I shall never forsake you". Our heart in other words is desperately wicked who can know it? The Lord knows it and He knows just how to purge it. Often he uses fiery trials and affliction to purify us. The result is a lesser dependence on us (even our depending on us to try harder) and a faith molded in the metal forge that clings to Christ and Him alone.

"Forging" is the process by which metal is heated and is shaped by plastic deformation by suitably applying compressive force. Usually the compressive force is in the form of hammer blows using a power hammer or a press...often known as The Hammer of God.

Frecs
May 2nd 2010, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=Welder4Christ;2400235]Thats awesome, you 2. Thanks.

Frecs -- I agree with what you're saying. I received the gift of tongues when I was very young, but lost it when I strayed from God. Indeed, it was a very powerful and intimate form of communication with God.QUOTE]

I received the Baptism in high school. I then strayed for 11 years. When I came back, I again received the Baptism...you can have it back for the asking :D

Bladers
May 2nd 2010, 02:25 PM

Don't be discouraged, its a process! Keep on seeking him and you will find him.

Jeremiah 29:13
And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Psalm 63:1-8
O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;

To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.

Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.

Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.

My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:

When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.

Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.

My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.

Firstfruits
May 2nd 2010, 02:53 PM

Abide in his word and Gods love will abide in you.

1 Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

By showing love as we are commanded, we show we are in God.

1 Jn 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

1 Jn 3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Sirus
May 2nd 2010, 03:43 PM

I am trying not to rely on my emotions, and believing that God is hearing my prayers and answering them, but I am wondering if perhaps there is some way to grow deeper and more intimate with God. I want to know Him on the deepest level possible, as my soul is constantly craving Him.It will always "seems like whatever I say to Him to express that love is just inadequate". You will always be "longing and yearning to grow deeper into fellowship with Him". Standstills are normal. I'm not saying it is the perfect way but as imperfect humans we all hit standstills. Maybe we are missing something, maybe we need to learn something, maybe we are trying 'to hard to do it' (works) instead of just believing in what he already did, or many other reasons. Maybe our heart condemns us but God is greater than our heart......

In these times we are not out of fellowship . Our fellowship never actually grows deeper or shrinks. Our fellowship is the same now as it has always been and always will be. Fellowship is based on what he did -veil rent/blood shed/sending the Spirit into our hearts, and that your faith is in what he did. When we study 'fellowship' we find it is not coffee and donuts. Fellowship-communion is a sharing or participation in something common.
They -continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and [conjunction] fellowship, and [conjunction] in breaking of bread, and [conjunction] in prayers And [conjunction] fear came upon every soul: and [conjunction] many wonders and signs were done by the apostles And [conjunction] all that believed were together, and [conjunction] had all things common.
Called unto the fellowship of his Son, the fellowship of the ministering to the saints, the right hands of fellowship in the gospel, the fellowship of the mystery of Christ, fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now, fellowship of the Spirit/communion of the Holy Ghost, fellowship of his sufferings, the communion of the blood of Christ, the communion of the body of Christ.

Why am I saying this? Well, aside from obvious reasons like many wrongly thinking we can be in and out of fellowship, I think it's very important [I]and helpful in growing in the knowledge of Christ to realize 'what we do' does not change what Christ has done (our position). What we do changes our awareness, our knowing [knowledge of Christ], our understanding, and our experiencing of the position given us in Christ -fellowship/communion- made partakers of the divine nature/made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light.

We should 'do this' and 'do that' for our own benefit, but God is not standoffish. The veil was and still is rent that we may boldly come to the throne of grace in time of need. What we do does not change the level of fellowship in the spirit. It changes our level of experiencing the fellowship given to all believers w/o respect of persons.

Our knowledge of Christ is how 'our experience in what has been given is deepened'. This comes with time in trials of our faith, and learning Scripture. No one grows overnight. Is a house built in a day? Do we put up walls before the foundation is laid? If we get in a hurry and put up walls and we realize the foundation is wrong don't we tear down the walls, fix the foundation, then build the walls again? This takes time for imperfect humans. So be encouraged my friend and while keeping the faith [saved by grace through faith] that saved you, continue to walk in the same [saved by grace through faith] -Col 2:6. If it seems you are in a 'standstill' he won't leave you there because he has promised to never leave you or forsake you and to finish what he started in you. There is always rain on the other side of drought. Just hold fast your profession of faith, which is in what he has done for you that is none of your own doing, and be willing to hear what he is saying now.

JLM Lives
May 2nd 2010, 04:15 PM
I agree with Firstfruits.
Do not be discouraged. the only word of encouragement comes from Brother Branham. "How do we draw closer to the love of God? Read your bible and pray everyday."

Equipped_4_Love
May 3rd 2010, 12:13 AM
It will always "seems like whatever I say to Him to express that love is just inadequate". You will always be "longing and yearning to grow deeper into fellowship with Him". Standstills are normal. I'm not saying it is the perfect way but as imperfect humans we all hit standstills. Maybe we are missing something, maybe we need to learn something, maybe we are trying 'to hard to do it' (works) instead of just believing in what he already did, or many other reasons. Maybe our heart condemns us but God is greater than our heart......

In these times we are not out of fellowship . Our fellowship never actually grows deeper or shrinks. Our fellowship is the same now as it has always been and always will be. Fellowship is based on what he did -veil rent/blood shed/sending the Spirit into our hearts, and that your faith is in what he did. When we study 'fellowship' we find it is not coffee and donuts. Fellowship-communion is a sharing or participation in something common.
They -continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and [conjunction] fellowship, and [conjunction] in breaking of bread, and [conjunction] in prayers And [conjunction] fear came upon every soul: and [conjunction] many wonders and signs were done by the apostles And [conjunction] all that believed were together, and [conjunction] had all things common.
Called unto the fellowship of his Son, the fellowship of the ministering to the saints, the right hands of fellowship in the gospel, the fellowship of the mystery of Christ, fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now, fellowship of the Spirit/communion of the Holy Ghost, fellowship of his sufferings, the communion of the blood of Christ, the communion of the body of Christ.

Why am I saying this? Well, aside from obvious reasons like many wrongly thinking we can be in and out of fellowship, I think it's very important [I]and helpful in growing in the knowledge of Christ to realize 'what we do' does not change what Christ has done (our position). What we do changes our awareness, our knowing [knowledge of Christ], our understanding, and our experiencing of the position given us in Christ -fellowship/communion- made partakers of the divine nature/made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light.

We should 'do this' and 'do that' for our own benefit, but God is not standoffish. The veil was and still is rent that we may boldly come to the throne of grace in time of need. What we do does not change the level of fellowship in the spirit. It changes our level of experiencing the fellowship given to all believers w/o respect of persons.

Our knowledge of Christ is how 'our experience in what has been given is deepened'. This comes with time in trials of our faith, and learning Scripture. No one grows overnight. Is a house built in a day? Do we put up walls before the foundation is laid? If we get in a hurry and put up walls and we realize the foundation is wrong don't we tear down the walls, fix the foundation, then build the walls again? This takes time for imperfect humans. So be encouraged my friend and while keeping the faith [saved by grace through faith] that saved you, continue to walk in the same [saved by grace through faith] -Col 2:6. If it seems you are in a 'standstill' he won't leave you there because he has promised to never leave you or forsake you and to finish what he started in you. There is always rain on the other side of drought. Just hold fast your profession of faith, which is in what he has done for you that is none of your own doing, and be willing to hear what he is saying now.

Thank you so much for this post, sirus. It is so right-on!!

God bless you :)

TrustingFollower
May 3rd 2010, 01:28 AM
One thing I have learned over the years. I have learned to pray while I am in the shower. It is just me and God and I am the way He made me. It is weird, but it is a very humbling thing to be vulnerable in front of God with no where to go and no way to hide. This simple way of praying has grown my relationship with Him in more ways than I can measure. I still hit times when I feel like I am at a stand still, but then I usually find out that I have not been praying enough. I still pray in other places, though when I hit the stand still point it tends to be when I have not been praying in the shower. I know it sounds weird, but I recommend you give it a try.

Equipped_4_Love
May 3rd 2010, 03:30 AM
One thing I have learned over the years. I have learned to pray while I am in the shower. It is just me and God and I am the way He made me. It is weird, but it is a very humbling thing to be vulnerable in front of God with no where to go and no way to hide. This simple way of praying has grown my relationship with Him in more ways than I can measure. I still hit times when I feel like I am at a stand still, but then I usually find out that I have not been praying enough. I still pray in other places, though when I hit the stand still point it tends to be when I have not been praying in the shower. I know it sounds weird, but I recommend you give it a try.

You know, Trusting Follower, I have, and I concur wth your statement. Didn't think about it until you just mentioned it, but yes. God has actully spoken to me directly while I was in the shower (not audibly, but He has told me things)....I would be praying, and suddenly something would come into my mind, and I know that it was Him. It was really beautiful what He told me, too.

Dani H
May 3rd 2010, 03:56 AM
I'm always yearning for God, for more of Him. Every day.

I think that's how we're supposed to feel! Because it is this longing that causes us to seek Him to begin with. If you're not hungry, do you go looking for food? If you're not thirsty, do you care about water? Of course not. I'd be worried if I wasn't yearning, honestly.

Right now, I know Him at the deepest level possible. For me, for right now.

I really do believe we will need all of eternity and beyond to fully and truly kow Him, if such a thing is even possible since He is infinite.

So I understand how you feel, and I honestly think there isn't a thing wrong with you. :)

RabbiKnife
May 3rd 2010, 02:44 PM
Do like Mother Theresa and go serve the untouchables of the world. If you are trying to find God but not connecting, go live with the untouchables of any society...God is usually there, if you really want to find him.

In my life, when I say "God, I want more of you" ...which is really a pretty silly thing to say, like God is in little brown paper packages...I usually find that He tells me to give something to someone who doesn't deserve it in my eyes or to serve someone that is not thankful for the act of service...

Firefighter
May 3rd 2010, 02:50 PM
In my life, when I say "God, I want more of you" ...which is really a pretty silly thing to say, like God is in little brown paper packages...I usually find that He tells me to give something to someone who doesn't deserve it in my eyes or to serve someone that is not thankful for the act of service...

That's because we don't need more God, we need less us...

RabbiKnife
May 3rd 2010, 02:52 PM
That's because we don't need more God, we need less us...

Yeah, but I like "more of me."....

Firefighter
May 3rd 2010, 03:02 PM
Yeah, but I like "more of me."....

"More of me' will give you a bigger target for the nails...;)

th1bill
May 3rd 2010, 03:46 PM
W4Christ,
I have spent the past 19+ years walking with Christ. When I was still able to drive He was with me in the Cab and never left me alone. And still, my yearning is to grow closer and to learn to worship Him better. We are admonished (Eph. 6:18, 1Thes. 5:17) to pray as we live our lives, moment by moment. I do not recall the time I reached this point but seldom, in my moment by moment life, do I fail to prayerfully consider what I am doing or what I have done.
The most important thing to remember in your growth is to have accountability partners where-ever you go. I have an excellent one here known as Tango. Tango will point out my error and draw Bill Taylor back into the background every time so that Christ shines through. These type of partners are scriptural and they are very helpful in your growth in Christ.