PDA

View Full Version : Personalities of Angels

James Fourate
May 17th 2010, 01:56 AM
Note: I'm a writer and trying to come up with a plot for a non fiction story about fallen angels. I'm trying to start with at least SOME biblical facts on Angels. However, any opinions would be more than welcome.

1) Is there any indication on how many Angels were casted out of heaven in the bible

2) When angels were cast out of heaven, where did they go and where would they be today?

3) If a third of the Angels were expelled from heaven for rebelling against God and a third were expelled for not fighting with God, does the bible indicate any differences in the two types of Angles?

4) If I remember correctly, at one point some Angels came down to earth and mated with human females which resulted in Giant sized offspring. Are there male and female angels?

5) What does the bible say about the personalities of different Angels and how they treated each other and/or viewed humans?

napsnsnacks
May 17th 2010, 02:01 AM
What does the bible say about the personalities of different Angels and how they treated each other and/or viewed humans?

None that I'm aware of.

markedward
May 17th 2010, 03:38 AM
1) Is there any indication on how many Angels were casted out of heaven in the bibleNope.

Some Christians commonly use Revelation 12 to say that one-third of the heavenly host were cast out of heaven, and since other Scripture says that there are "myriads of myriads, thousand of thousands" of angels, this would put the one-third in the, well, "myriads, thousands". However, the Revelation 12 text is using the same train of thought found in Daniel 8, in which the "stars" are explicitly identified as the (human) Covenant people of the nation of Israel. Since Revelation 12's use of language is based upon the language used in Daniel 8, it is most likely that Revelation 12 is not referring to a fall of one-third of the heavenly host, but rather, to Satan's demonic oppression of a portion of the (human) Covenant people.

2) When angels were cast out of heaven, where did they go and where would they be today?As far as Scripture is able to indicate, the demons/fallen angels dwelt/dwell upon the earth. When being "exorcised", it seems that God places them in a prison-like abyss, of darkness and gloom, where they await their judgment.

3) If a third of the Angels were expelled from heaven for rebelling against GodAs I mention above, the only Scripture used to indicate that one-third of the heavenly host rebelled is, more than likely, not actually even talking about angels. We do know that there are fallen angels/demons, but we are never given an indication of their total number, nor of their percentage of the total number.

and a third were expelled for not fighting with God,Not Scriptural.

does the bible indicate any differences in the two types of Angles?Nope.

4) If I remember correctly, at one point some Angels came down to earth and mated with human females which resulted in Giant sized offspring. Are there male and female angels?This is Greek-pagan mythology that was weaved into the orthodox-Jewish faith around 300-100 BC. The group in question is called the "sons of God" (see Genesis 6), and is not referring to angels. Rather, the "sons of God" are human men who were faithful followers of God. The entire text is about man, and man's wickedness, and God's punishment against man. Nothing is spoken about angels.

The "giants" is not a proper translation. The Hebrew term uses is "nephilim", which means "felling ones", that is, "those who fell (i.e. kill) others". This is consistent with the context, in which the narration describes "warriors of old" and "mighty men of renown". Nothing in Genesis 5 suggests that these people were human-angel hybrids, or that they were "giants".

To answer your actual question, no, it does not seem that there are "male and female" angels. All angels in Scripture are spoken of in the masculine form, and are sometimes identified as "men", but this does not necessarily mean they are biologically male in the same way that human men are biologically male. It simply means that, as far as human beings can see, angels are masculine in form and personality.

5) What does the bible say about the personalities of different Angels and how they treated each other and/or viewed humans?Not much. The only glimpse we can find about any angel's specific perception of man is Satan's, found in the book of Job. He did not believe that men were capable of faithfully following God in the face of disaster.

Sirus
May 17th 2010, 06:21 AM
2) When angels were cast out of heaven, where did they go and where would they be today?cast out of their spiritual position, not cast out of physical heaven. Cast back down to earth where they were and where they ascended from during the rebellion.

3) If a third of the Angels were expelled from heaven for rebelling against God and a third were expelled for not fighting with God, does the bible indicate any differences in the two types of Angles?no. same.

4) If I remember correctly, at one point some Angels came down to earth and mated with human females which resulted in Giant sized offspring. Are there male and female angels?Angels are always male in Scripture.

James Fourate
May 20th 2010, 03:15 AM
Thank you Sirus and Markedward

Its hard to separate the myths from the true biblical truths on Angels. Im still reaching for something that "could" indicate angels are still among us.

Markedward, Im not sure what you meant in this reply "As far as Scripture is able to indicate, the demons/fallen angels dwelt/dwell upon the earth. When being "exorcised", it seems that God places them in a prison-like abyss, of darkness and gloom, where they await their judgment."

I agree that demons/ fallen angels are exorcised in the bible, but Im "reaching" for something that could say either fallen Angels live "forever" in their original form or if they (as in demons) could only exist by possessing a human body. Like I said, what Im writing is non-fiction but it's so hard to speculate on how and if an angel could exits on earth today and in what form

The Mighty Sword
May 20th 2010, 03:23 AM
Revelation 12:7-9

7And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

8And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

9And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Sounds like Satan to me and other angels as well.

cast out of their spiritual position, not cast out of physical heaven. Cast back down to earth where they were and where they ascended from during the rebellion.

How many wars did the good and bad angels have???

markedward
May 20th 2010, 05:48 AM
Markedward, Im not sure what you meant in this reply "As far as Scripture is able to indicate, the demons/fallen angels dwelt/dwell upon the earth. When being "exorcised", it seems that God places them in a prison-like abyss, of darkness and gloom, where they await their judgment."

I agree that demons/ fallen angels are exorcised in the bible, but Im "reaching" for something that could say either fallen Angels live "forever" in their original form or if they (as in demons) could only exist by possessing a human body. Like I said, what Im writing is non-fiction but it's so hard to speculate on how and if an angel could exits on earth today and in what formAngels are spirits, and spirits do not have physical bodies of flesh and blood. Of course, they exist apart from "possessing a human body", but as Scripture shows, they are invisible to humans the vast majority of the time.

It appears that when demons/fallen angels are "exorcised", they are permanently imprisoned by God, until the time of judgment. See 2 Peter 2.4 and Jude 6.

Sirus
May 21st 2010, 02:20 AM
Angels are spirits, and spirits do not have physical bodies of flesh and blood.What scripture would that be?

markedward
May 21st 2010, 02:45 AM
In Luke 10.17-20, Jesus refers to the demons of Satan as "spirits", while in Matthew 25.41, Jesus refers to them as "angels". In other words, the "fallen angels" are "spirits". Likewise, in Hebrews 1.13-14, the writer says that "the angels" who serve God are "ministering spirits".

By these, we see that "angels" are "spirits". And as Jesus said, "A spirit does not have flesh and bones, as you see that I have." [Luke 24.39]

Sirus
May 21st 2010, 03:38 AM
Matthew 25.41 doesn't mention demons.

Heb 1:7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

Angels are created beings just as we are. They have bodies and are physical throughout the Bible and must be made spirits.

Are they not physical or spirits but really flames? It says they are flames of fire, right? So which is it?
Or is it referring to an angel going up in a flame (in front of Abraham, or was that Jacob?)?
It wasn't a flame, it was made a flame, just as they are made wind.

James Fourate
May 21st 2010, 03:43 AM
Im thinking you may both be right. Is it possible that God's angels seem to have physical "bodies" but demons (fallen angels) can only have a physical body by possession? That kind of brings up another question for me to look into. When satan tempted Jesus, was it in his original physical form or did he possess a human body?

thedee
May 21st 2010, 03:49 AM
4) If I remember correctly, at one point some Angels came down to earth and mated with human females which resulted in Giant sized offspring. Are there male and female angels?

This occurred in Genesis 6. When it says "sons of God" this is said to be fallen angels. The same term is used in Job.

The sons of God came into the daughter of men and the result offspring was Giants/Nephelim.

James Fourate
May 21st 2010, 04:00 AM
I never looked it up but when I heard the story in Sunday School ( a LONG time ago) I always had the impression that they were Angels having offspring with human women. Like I said,what Im writing is non fiction so I have to take that one with grain of salt.

James Fourate
May 24th 2010, 04:10 AM
So no other Angels were cast out of heaven besides the ones that fought against God and his Angels?

Archangel Michael
May 25th 2010, 11:37 AM
1) Is there any indication on how many Angels were casted out of heaven in the bible

a third as far as I know from the scripture

2) When angels were cast out of heaven, where did they go and where would they be today?

It depends what heaven you are referring to. There are three heavens in the bible;
1. Where God is
2. Where the devil stays
3. Any distance higher than a man's height.

The bible referrs to different castings.
1. when satan rebelled and was cast out of the first heaven
2. In revelation, THIS IS YET TO TAKE PLACE.
It will take place in the future where the devil and his angels(demons, principalities, etc) will be cast out of the 2nd heaven. Currently they are occupying that place and influencing the world affairs. Revelation says there will be no more place found for him any longer. But CURRENTLY, he is in the 2nd heaven, reigning with the powers of darkness, and apears before God daily( with the holy angels) to present himself and accuse YOU. He is also able to move to the earth for his wicked activities. The same verse says that he accusses the brethren daily.This is a duty he performs until he is cast down after the milenial reign. Until this even happens, he is still ruling the world from the second heaven. Remember what he told Jesus; "the world and all the kingdoms have been given to me and I give them to whomever I will....". He took control after the fall of man. Jesus will come and take over since he has redeemed it.

3) If a third of the Angels were expelled from heaven for rebelling against God and a third were expelled for not fighting with God, does the bible indicate any differences in the two types of Angles?

I have never heard this from the bible. what is your source?, any scripture??? or is it just speculation?

The term 'sons of God' in the bible is used only in reference to angels. (See Job). I guess this is the group " ...that left their first estate and are now locked with chains, awaiting judgement...."
I tend to think there could be both male and female angels. I have heard of female demons and others that sleep with humans. This is still a mystery even to me because there is no refernce to female angels in the bible.

5) What does the bible say about the personalities of different Angels and how they treated each other and/or viewed humans?

The only reference as to personalities could be;-
angels are holy, loyal and perfect. They don't accept worship by men
Gabriel stands in the presence of God and usually makes important announcements and runs errands
Michael is mostly in charge of war. And the defence of Israel
Could Satan could be the third angel of the same hierachy tha fell with his third?
The bible refers to Satan as a seraph. He must have occupied a prievelleged position!

Archangel Michael
May 25th 2010, 12:11 PM

a third as far as I know from the scripture

It depends what heaven you are referring to. There are three heavens in the bible;
1. Where God is
2. Where the devil stays
3. Any distance higher than a man's height.

The bible referrs to different castings.
1. when satan rebelled and was cast out of the first heaven
2. In revelation, THIS IS YET TO TAKE PLACE.
It will take place in the future where the devil and his angels(demons, principalities, etc) will be cast out of the 2nd heaven. Currently they are occupying that place and influencing the world affairs. Revelation says there will be no more place found for him any longer. But CURRENTLY, he is in the 2nd heaven, reigning with the powers of darkness, and apears before God daily( with the holy angels) to present himself and accuse YOU. He is also able to move to the earth for his wicked activities. The same verse says that he accusses the brethren daily.This is a duty he performs until he is cast down after the milenial reign. Until this even happens, he is still ruling the world from the second heaven. Remember what he told Jesus; "the world and all the kingdoms have been given to me and I give them to whomever I will....". He took control after the fall of man. Jesus will come and take over since he has redeemed it.

I have never heard this from the bible. what is your source?, any scripture??? or is it just speculation?

The term 'sons of God' in the bible is used only in reference to angels. (See Job). I guess this is the group " ...that left their first estate and are now locked with chains, awaiting judgement...."
I tend to think there could be both male and female angels. I have heard of female demons and others that sleep with humans. This is still a mystery even to me because there is no refernce to female angels in the bible.

The only reference as to personalities could be;-
angels are holy, loyal and perfect. They don't accept worship by men
Gabriel stands in the presence of God and usually makes important announcements and runs errands
Michael is mostly in charge of war. And the defence of Israel
Could Satan could be the third angel of the same hierachy tha fell with his third?
The bible refers to Satan as a seraph. He must have occupied a prievelleged position!

ross3421
May 26th 2010, 02:53 AM
Im thinking you may both be right. Is it possible that God's angels seem to have physical "bodies" but demons (fallen angels) can only have a physical body by possession? That kind of brings up another question for me to look into. When Satan tempted Jesus, was it in his original physical form or did he possess a human body?

What if both holy and evil spirits possess a human body. How can one and the the other not? Does not the Holy Spirit come from apart of our bodies and possess?

So when you talk about Gen 6 evil spirits possessed human male bodies which then had offspring with human woman and they raised their children to worship the father the devil.

AndyBern
May 26th 2010, 04:21 AM
A couple of educated guesses on the mindset of demons...

Demons seem to desire to be clothed in physical form. As angels, they are spirit-beings (Hebrews 1:7), but they seem to want to occupy a physical form, either human or animal (Mark 5:2-13). Perhaps the physical experience is desirable (and even pleasurable) for them just as it is for us (2 Corinthians 5:4). Perhaps they are envious of the bodies God gave us.
Demons suffer from their fallen nature in much the same way that man does in his - perhaps more so. It appears that demons live very unsatisfied, restless and frustrated lives (Job 1:7, Matthew 8:29, 12:43, 1 Peter 5:8, Revelation 12:12).

Also, while demons did rebel against God, there is no recorded example of any demon disobeying God, while there are a few examples of demons obeying God. Satan stayed within the bounds God gave him when he tested Job. The legion of demons asked Jesus' permission before entering the herd of pigs. For all the bad influence that the demons have on man, they are still under God's control and authority, and no matter what they do, it will only serve to bring glory to God in the end.

James Fourate
May 26th 2010, 11:46 AM
Wow, great stuff. Thank all of you. I know most of what Im looking for is going to be speculation but this is exactly what Im looking for. If I can atleast stay close to the bounds of what the bible tells us about angles, I wont be tempted to write just another far fetched fantasy about angels. Im pretty sure that is where I got the idea that an additional 1/3 of the angels in heaven were cast out for not fighting agains Satan. Probally just something I read somewhere. Right now Im just in the research stage but hopefully I can keep going back to the bible so that some more of the educated Christians (like yourselves) can say, "Thats not written in the bible but based on what we know biblically, it seems like something an angel could/ would do. God willing, it will not be so far fetched that it just adds more confussion than biblical fact.

AndyBern
Jun 5th 2010, 02:06 AM
Perhaps some other insight or educated guesses would be found in C.S. Lewis's Screwtape Letters.

Toymom
Jun 6th 2010, 03:50 PM
If you want to be biblically accurate, there are no female angels ever mentioned in the Bible. In the Bible all angels appear as men.