PDA

View Full Version : The miracles of the loaves & fishes

miepie
Jun 7th 2010, 12:09 AM
We have been reading about the miracle of the five loaves & 2 fishes, and of the one with 7 loaves and a few fishes in Matthew 14 and 15.
I was wondering if these verses mean more than "just" the feeding of the multitude? I was thinking it has to do with Jesus being the bread of life.......

Any thoughts?

Love you all,
Mieke :kiss:

Nihil Obstat
Jun 7th 2010, 12:23 AM
It must have been quite significant, as it is one of the few accounts told in all four gospels!

Toymom
Jun 7th 2010, 12:45 AM
There are quite a few good lessons to learn from the story of the loves and fishes.
One thing I like is that the disciples said they had nothing except for 5 loves and 2 fishes - not nearly enough to help the situation. We are all that poor. On our own, we have nothing. But when they gave the little that they had to the Lord, He blessed it and multiplied it and used it to feed many others. When we give ourselves and the little that we have to the Lord, He can bless it and multiply it and use it to bless others.
Another thing from that story is that the Lord broke the loves. He will break what we bring to Him so that it can become useful to others. Sometimes the Lord has to break us as well.

miepie
Jun 7th 2010, 01:11 AM
There are quite a few good lessons to learn from the story of the loves and fishes.
One thing I like is that the disciples said they had nothing except for 5 loves and 2 fishes - not nearly enough to help the situation. We are all that poor. On our own, we have nothing. But when they gave the little that they had to the Lord, He blessed it and multiplied it and used it to feed many others. When we give ourselves and the little that we have to the Lord, He can bless it and multiply it and use it to bless others.
Another thing from that story is that the Lord broke the loves. He will break what we bring to Him so that it can become useful to others. Sometimes the Lord has to break us as well.

Thanks! :hug: We were thinking more in the line of numbers 5 + 2 = 7......

Love you lots,

Beckrl
Jun 7th 2010, 01:13 AM
There are a couple of things we can take away from these miracles, one they total 7 [5 loaves and 2 fish] and the other has 7 loaves and few fish.
So the number 7 has meaning and also loaves has meaning and the peices gathered up has meaning.

I see that the loaves are of barley (John 6:9) relating to the harvest of Barley in which Jesus spoke of John 4:34-38.
And all this relates to John 6:39-40 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day

Jesus told his desciples to gather up the peices that none be losted. John 6:12 For he will raise them up at the last day. Jesus said unto them that he is the bread which came down from heaven.

Jesus is showing in this simple way of barley loaves that no one will be left in the grave but will be raised to new life

Servant89
Jun 7th 2010, 02:47 AM
We have been reading about the miracle of the five loaves & 2 fishes, and of the one with 7 loaves and a few fishes in Matthew 14 and 15.
I was wondering if these verses mean more than "just" the feeding of the multitude? I was thinking it has to do with Jesus being the bread of life.......

Any thoughts?

Love you all,

There is a reason why this miracle is the only one in all four gospels. But there is something only Mark noted. The green grass. Why is that important? It is hugely important !!!!!

Mk 6:39 And he commanded them to make all sit down by companies upon the green grass.

Read Eze chapter 34 (all of it, especially verses 13-14. Read Psalm 23:1-2. And you will see that it was prophesied that God himself was going to do that Miracle.

Shalom

crossnote
Jun 7th 2010, 03:36 AM
I would go to John 6.1-35 for the explanation.. just as you originally said Miepie.

Sirus
Jun 7th 2010, 06:04 AM
I would go to John 6.1-35 for the explanation.. just as you originally said Miepie.I agree, but would say it continues throughout the entire chapter.

JohnDB
Jun 7th 2010, 09:43 AM
There is a reason why this miracle is the only one in all four gospels. But there is something only Mark noted. The green grass. Why is that important? It is hugely important !!!!!

Mk 6:39 And he commanded them to make all sit down by companies upon the green grass.

Read Eze chapter 34 (all of it, especially verses 13-14. Read Psalm 23:1-2. And you will see that it was prophesied that God himself was going to do that Miracle.

Shalom

BINGO!!!!!

And because there is only a two week window of the time of year that the grass will be green...this tells the exact time of year as well.

Some people's kids...;)

notuptome
Jun 7th 2010, 12:17 PM
This miracle would have tied Jesus back to His Father as the source of His authority. Jehovah fed Israel when they came out of Egypt and wandered for forty years. Manna or bread then, when they were not satisfied meat. Christ is described as the bread of heaven. There is also the total sufficiency of what God supplies. The blood of Christ is totally sufficient, His suffering was totally sufficient. God is able to do exceeding abundantly above all we can hope.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Instrument
Jun 7th 2010, 05:09 PM

Shalom
Very good this observation.
Thanks.

Instrument
Jun 7th 2010, 05:15 PM
Yes I think so!
In Mt 14 appear the same whom fed to Israel at wilderness.

Blessings