PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Numbers(2)

Frances
Jun 10th 2010, 04:33 PM
Numbers

Quote (Rev. David Pawson)” Leviticus begins and ends with censuses. The first was taken when Israel left Sinai one month after rhe Tabernacle had been erected, the second was taken when they arrived in Moab . . . 40 years later. These were male consensuses used for military conscription. The number had dropped by 1,820 – not a very great difference.
The book of Numbers tells us there is nothing wrong with counting the people. ( King David was [later] punished by God for counting his men, but this was because he was motivated by pride.)”

Numbers 1

What does the text say? – The Lord told Moses to take a census to discover how many fighting men Israel had. They were
From Rueben – 46,500
From Simeon – 59,300
From Gad - 46,650
From Judah - 74,600
From Issachar – 54,400
From Zebulun – 57,400
From Ephraim – 40.500
From Manasseh – 32,200
From Benjamin - 35,400
From Dan - 62,700
From Asher -41.500
From Naphtal i – 53,400

A total of 603,550 without the Levites who were not counted as they were responsible for the Tabernacle.

Application? - Am I in the Lord’s Army, always ready for His Instructions?

Frances
Jun 14th 2010, 06:12 PM
Numbers 2 + 3

What does the text say? – The Lord told Moses and Aaron where each tribe were to camp in relation to the Tabernacle, and in which order each tribe was to travel. The total number of men on the east of the Tabernacle (the descendants of Judah, Issachar and Nebulun) were 186,400, and they would move first with their families. The 151,450, plus families, on the south (Reuben, Simeon and Gad) would move next. Then the Tabernacle would be carried by the Levites, who would camp close to the Tabernacle on the north, west and south of it. Then the 108,100 descendants of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh who would camp on the west of the Tabernacle with their families. Camping on the north of the Tabernacle would be 157,600 (Dan, Asher and Naphtali), who would travel last with their families.
Each tribe set up camp and travelled according to the Lord’s directions.
All the Levites were presented to Aaron to serve him. All the male descendants of Levi over one month old were recorded, and their duties regarding the Tabernacle were made clear. Then the Lord told Moses to take a census of all the 1st-born Israelites – there were 22,273. As there were not enough Levites to redeem each 1st-born male Israelite the Lord said the remaining 273 must be redeemed by paying 5 shekels each to Aaron and his sons – this amounted to 1365 shekels.

Application? – Am i where the Lord wants me to be? Do I know where I should be?

Frances
Jun 15th 2010, 06:53 PM
Numbers 4

What does the text say? – The Lord commanded a census of all the Levites from 30 to 50 years old - there were 8580. When the Israelites moved camp the 2750 Kohathites were to carry the Ark, the Table of Showbread, the lampstand and it’s wick-trimmers, trays and oil containers, the Golden Altar and all it’s utensils, the Altar and all it’s implements, after the priests had covered them with blue cloth and badger skins and inserted all the carrying poles. On no account must the Kohathites watch these things being covered or touch them or they risked death. The duty of the 2630 Gershonites between from 30 to 50 years was to carry all the curtains that form and cover the Tabernacle and it’s doors. The duty of the 3200 Merariites between 30 and 50 years was to carry the boards, bars, pillars, sockets, pegs, cords and furnishings.

Application? – Each person who belongs to the Lord is known to Him and is responsible for accomplishing a specific task for Him. Am I doing all He requires of me?

Frances
Jun 16th 2010, 05:15 PM
Numbers 5

What does the text say? – Those with leprosy, or have a discharge, or have touched a corpse must be outside the camp. Sin must be confessed and restitution made in full plus 20% and a ram sacrificed to make atonement. Each priest may keep sacred donations he receives. Directions for dealing with a husband’s suspicions regarding his wife’s unfaithfulness.

Application? – Do I separate myself from others when I have an infection I could pass on? Do I confess all Sin? Do I make restitution for my Sins? Do I trust Jesus’ Sacrifice to be sufficient to purify me? What about a wife’s suspicions regarding her husband’s unfaithfulness?

Frances
Jun 17th 2010, 08:25 PM
Numbers 6

What does the text say? – If anyone takes a Nazarite vow they must not eat or drink anything related to a grape-vine, or cut their hair, or go near a dead body. For the period of time covered by their vow they must be holy; if someone dies suddenly beside them they must shave their head 7 days later, and on the 8th day must sacrifice 2 doves or pigeons – one to be a Sin offering and the other a burnt offering, their commitment must be reaffirmed and the time previous to defilement will not count. They must sacrifice a one year old male lamb with no defects as a Trespass offering to the Lord. When the Nazarite has completed the length of their vow they must sacrifice as a peace offering:- one ewe lamb as a Sin offering, a ram for a peace offering, a basket of unleavened bread, cakes of choice flour mixed with olive oil and wafers spread with olive oil, and the prescribed grain and drink offerings, also anything else they can afford; then they must shave their head and put their hair on the fire under their peace offering. When the correct portions have been waved before the Lord the Nazarite may drink wine again. The Lord said Aaron and his sons must bless God’s people by saying ‘ The Lord Bless you and keep you, the Lord make His Face to shine upon you, the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you His Peace.’ and the Lord will Bless them.

Application? – What a great Blessing that, because Jesus Christ came and Sacrificed Himself in my place I’m able to serve Him, as He requires, all my life. Am I willing to sacrifice my desires to fulfil the Lord’ Do I always recognise the Lord’s Blessings and Protection? Do I acknowledge His Presence and Graciousness? Do I recognise His Peace when I am in the centre of His Will? Do I thank Him for them?

Frances
Jun 18th 2010, 04:19 PM
Numbers 7

What does the text say? – The tribal leaders brought offerings when Moses anointed the Tabernacle and all it’s furnishings and utensil; they presented to the Lord a wagon from every two leaders and one oxen from each, which were for the Levites’s use in their work for the Lord, excluding those things that must be carried. One leader each day presented gifts to dedicate the altar, which amounted to 12 silver plates and 12 silver basins weighing a total of 60lbs. They also gave 12 gold containers for incense weighing a total of 3lbs. They gave 12 young bulls, 12 rams, 12 x1 year old male lambs for Burnt offerings plus their required grain offerings; plus 12 male goats for Sin offerings, and 24 bulls, 60 rams, 60 male goats and 60 x1 year old male lambs donated for the Peace offerings. Whenever Moses went into the Tabernacle to talk to the Lord God he heard His Voice from above the Mercy seat on the Ark, between the 2 cherubims.

Application? – What do I give to the Lord? What does He want me to give to Him? Have I given myself totally to Him? If so, everything I own is part of the package, for Him to use as He sees fit.

Frances
Jun 19th 2010, 05:54 PM
Numbers 8

What does the text say? – Aaron was told by the Lord that the 7 lamps on the lamp-stand must always shine their light forwards. The Levies were cleansed, and dedicated for service to the Lord, by sacrificing a young bull as a Sin offering, and another as a Burnt offering, with the appropriate grain and oil offerings, to make atonement for them, after the rest of the Israelites had laid hands on them. After that the Levites were able to work in the Tabernacle between the ages of 25 and 50years; this work was a privilege not necessarily for everyone, only for those who chose to do it.

Application? – Do I ensure the Light of the Lord shines through me onto everyone I meet? Have I been cleansed by the Blood of Jesus? Have I dedicated myself to serve the Lord? Do I regard serving Him a privilege? Do I / will I continue to serve Him in the background when my active days are over?

Quote:- (David Pawson) “Numbers reminds us we must worship God according to His taste, not ours. Modern worship tends to focus on the preferences of individuals, whether this be in favour of hymns or choruses for example. We can forget that our preferences are quite irrelevant compared to the importance of making sure that our worship matches what God wants.”

Frances
Jun 20th 2010, 05:09 PM
Numbers 9

What does the text say? – In the 1st month of the 2nd year after the Israelites left Egypt the Lord told Moses they must celebrate the Passover on the 14th day of that month in the way He had ordained – and they did. Those who were unable to celebrate then because they were unclean, because they had touched a corpse or those travelling, were able to celebrate it the following month. However, anyone ‘clean’ and not travelling who did not partake was to be cut off from the community of Israel. From the time the Tabernacle was set up the cloud covered it by day, and with the appearance of fire at night. When the fire was raised above the Tabernacle the Israelites broke camp and followed the cloud, then camped again wherever it stopped. Even if the cloud stayed in the same place for many months they didn’t move on; or if it moved next day, or at night, they went too.

Application? – Do I celebrate Holy Communion regularly – the reminder of what Jesus, my Passover lamb accomplished for me? Do I ensure there is no un-repented Sin in my life first (Matt.5:23-24)? Do I live in the place the Lord has chosen for me? Do I only move my home at the Lord’s instigation? Do I allow Him to choose my destination? If I am not in the place the Lord chooses for me do I deny myself His Protection by night and day?

Frances
Jun 21st 2010, 05:09 PM
Numbers 10

What does the text say? – The Lord told Moses to make 2 silver trumpets for calling the congregation, and directing the movement of the camp. If one trumpet was blown the leaders, the heads of tribes must come to him, if both trumpets sounded the whole congregation of Israel must gather at the entrance of the Tabernacle. When the short blasts of the first signal to move was given, the tribes on the East must start moving. At the second signal the tribes on the south must follow. Only the priests may blow the trumpets in times of war and gladness, over Burnt and Peace offerings, to remind the Lord God of His Covenant with them. The cloud of the Lord’s Presence lifted on the 29th day of the 2nd month of the 2nd year after leaving Egypt and went to Paran with the people following in the order the Lord had prescribed. As the Ark set out Moses said “Rise up, O Lord, and let your enemies be scattered, and let those who hate You flee before You.” And when it rested he said “Return, O Lord, to the many thousands of Israel.”

Application? – Am I prepared to hear the Lord calling me in a variety of ways, and in a variety of places? Or do I consider Him restricted to my place(es) of choice? Do I always move at His Command? Do I only stop when He tells me to?

Frances
Jun 22nd 2010, 05:33 PM
Numbers 11

What does the text say? – The Lord became angry when the people complained, then His fire burned those on the edges of the camp. Moses prayed and the fire stopped burning. The people still complained to Moses that they only had Manna to eat, so Moses asked the Lord to kill him because the people were too great a burden for him. The Lord said He would give 70 leaders of the people His Spirit too, so they’d be able to share Moses’ burden. Moses told the people the Lord would give them the meat they craved, but they would be heartily sick of it because they had despised the Manna He had provided; he also told the 70 leaders to assemble at the Tabernacle. 68 did and the Lord gave them His Spirit, the 2 not at the Tabernacle also received His Spirit and all 70 prophesied (it is apparently not clear whether they only prophesied once or didn’t stop prophesying). The Lord sent so many quail for the people that they spent the next 36 hours gathering them – but while they ate them those who yielded to their craving died.

Application? – Do I complain about the Lord’s Provision for me? If so, would I be wise to praise Him for it instead? Does the Lord want me to realise, and acknowledge, my weakness before providing those who will help me? If the Lord has filled me with His Spirit He expects me to use His Power to Glorify Him in the Work He gives me. If I yield to what I crave it may result in instant delight but then death.

Frances
Jun 23rd 2010, 05:36 PM
Numbers 12

What does the text say? – Miriam and Aaron criticized Moses because he’d married a Cu****e (Ethiopean) and they thought the Lord spoke through them as much as through Moses; so the Lord told all three of them to go to the Tabernacle where He met them. The Lord said Aaron and Miriam were prophets but Moses was special and the only one who saw the Lord and to whom He spoke face to face. When the cloud of the Lord departed from them Miriam had become a leper. Aaron pleaded with Moses, who asked God to Heal her; He said that Miriam must be shut out of the camp for 7 days, the people didn’t move until the 7 days were up, then they travelled from Hazeroth to the Wilderness of Haran.

Application? – Do I displease the Lord by criticizing those more Gifted than myself, but who I consider no more able to represent the Lord than myself? Might I suffer in some way because I criticize? Am I jealous of anyone? Does my jealousy prevent the congregation I’m part of from moving on with the Lord?

Quote:- (Rev David Pawson) “Miriam’s problem was jealousy; she desired honour for herself. She wanted to speak with God as Moses did . . .Aaron’s problem was jealousy and a desire for honour . . .God did not criticize Moses but Aaron and Miriam did . . . Soon after they expressed jealousy and a desire for honour, both Aaron and Miriam were dead. “

Frances
Jun 24th 2010, 05:55 PM
Numbers 13

What does the text say? – The Lord told Moses to send spies into Canaan, one from each of the 12 tribes, to discover if the land was fertile or barren, with or without forests; if the people were few or many, strong or weak; if the cities were camps or strongholds, and to bring some of the fruit back. 40 days later the spies returned with figs, pomegranates and a bunch of grapes. They said there was an abundance of food, the cities were large and fortified, the people strong and also they’d seen some descendants of Anak (a giant Josh. 11:21-22) and discovered where the various peoples lived. Caleb, one of the spies, wanted to go at once and take possession of the land, but ten spread fear among the people by saying the inhabitants were too big and strong for them.

Application? - Do I thoroughly investigate the pro’s and con’s of moves the Lord has told me to make before deciding to obey Him? or do I decide to obey the Lord first and make investigations afterwards to discover the advantages and difficulties, and make plans to overcome problems? Do I allow myself to be dissuaded from obeying the Lord by well-meaning but fearful people who doubt the Lord’s Power? Do I encourage others to obey the Lord? or do I fill their minds with doubts regarding His trustworthiness?

Frances
Jun 25th 2010, 04:26 PM
Numbers 14:1-25

What does the text say? – All the Israelites complained against Moses and Aaron for taking them from Egypt to die in battle and their families to be ill-treated; they decided to elect a leader and to return to Egypt. Joshua said the land was exceedingly good, and as the Lord was with them they had no cause to fear other people. Their countrymen were going to stone them when the Glory of the Lord appeared in the Tabernacle. The Lord told Moses that as the people rejected/despised Him, in spite of the miracles He had performed for them, He would disinherit them and make a great nation of Moses’ descendants instead. But Moses said the surrounding nations would just consider the Lord too weak to give His people what He had Promised them; Moses reminded the Lord He was Powerful, Longsuffering, Merciful and Forgiving – so He pardoned His people, and said all the Earth would be filled with His Glory. The Lord also said His people, who had seen His miracles, had tested Him 10 times so none of them would enter the land He had Promised them, except Caleb who had wholly followed Him.

Application? – Do I believe, and act on, God’s Word or other people who say something different? Do I let fear of what might happen control me? Do I consider how others will view the Lord more important than my earthly gain and prestige? What am I doing to ensure all the Earth is filled with God’s Glory? Have I tested the Lord too many times? Am I in danger of being disinherited? Do I always trust the Lord and follow all His Instructions however fearful I may be?

Quote (Henry H. Halley) “This was the crucial point of the journey. Within sight of the Promised land they turned back, For them the opportunity never returned. Caleb and Joshua, the two spies who wanted to go forward, were the only ones of the 600,000 men over 20 who lived to go into Canaan.”

Frances
Jun 26th 2010, 04:41 PM
Numbers 14:25 - 45

What does the text say? – The Lord heard the complaints His people made against Him, so He told Moses and Aaron to tell the people what they feared would certainly happen. Those who had complained, everyone over 20 except Caleb son of Jephunneh and Caleb son of Nun, would die in the wilderness, and He would reject His people for the next 40 years – one year for every day the spies were in the Promised land. Then the people changed their minds and said they’d fight, but Moses said the Lord was no longer with them, so when they went to fight Moses and the Ark stayed in the camp. The men were defeated and driven back to Hormah by the Amalekites and Canaanites.

Application? – Have I decided not to do the Lord’s Will for me at any time? If so, could that be the cause of present difficulties? When the Lord tells me to do something He means at the time He specifies, not if and when I choose to obey Him. Do I ensure I am always following the Lord, or do my actions indicate that I assume He will always follow, and protect, me? Disobedience cuts me off from the Lord and although true repentance will restore my relationship with Him it is unlikely to affect the consequences of my past disobedience.

Frances
Jun 27th 2010, 11:24 AM
Numbers 15

What does the text say? – The Lord said animal Sacrifices made to Him for unintentional Sin must be accompanied by the appropriate grain and drink offerings, however for intentional, defiant, Sin the penalty is death and no other sacrifice will be acceptable. A man gathering wood on the Sabbath was sentenced to be stoned to death outside the camp. The Lord said His people must put tassels, with a blue thread running through them, on the corners of their garments to remind them to keep His Commandments and be holy for Him.

Application? – The Lord differentiates between my intentional and unintentional Sin. As the penalty for all my Sin was paid by Jesus Christ am I more careful not to offend Him, or do I think my behaviour doesn’t matter? Does my behaviour bring Glory, or blasphemy, to the Lord?

Frances
Jun 29th 2010, 05:10 PM
Numbers 16

What does the text say? – 250 Levite representatives, led by Korah, Dathan and Abiram told Moses and Aaron they had too high an opinion of themselves, as the other Levites were all holy too. Moses said they must all put fire and incense in their censers next day and come before the Lord. Next day Korah took all the congregation to the door of the Tabernacle against Moses and Aaron, and the Glory of the Lord appeared to all the people. The Lord told Moses and Aaron to get away from the other people as He was going to kill them, but Moses and Aaron pleaded for the people so the Lord relented, saying everyone must get away from the tents of Korah, Dathan and Abiram, then the ground opened up and swallowed the 3 men and their families and possessions; then fire came from the Lord and burnt the 250 leaders, who were burning incense, to death; the censers were gathered to make a covering for the altar. Next day all the Israelites accused Moses and Aaron of killing the Lord’s people. Then the Glory of the Lord covered the Tabernacle and He sent a plague on the people, so Moses told Aaron to take his censer among the people to make atonement for them – which he did, and stood between the dead and living, and the plague was stopped, but 14,700 were already dead.

Application? - Am I satisfied to do the task the Lord has given me, or do I covet what He has Called someone else to do? Am I in danger of seriously displeasing Him? Do I encourage others to be dissatisfied in their work for the Lord? Will I lose Eternal Life because I allow others to lead me away from the Lord God? The Lord has said no one can pluck me out of His Hand (John. 10:28-30) – but He won’t prevent me from deliberately walking away from Him!

Frances
Jun 30th 2010, 08:29 PM
Numbers 17

What does the text say? – The Lord told Moses to tell the Israelites to bring him a staff from each leader of the 12 tribes with their name on. Aaron’s name must be written on the rod from the tribe of Levi. The Lord told Moses to put all 12 rods in the Tabernacle before the Ark of the Testimony and the rod of the man He chose would bloom. Next day Moses fetched the rods to show the assembled people. Aaron’s rod has bloomed and bore ripe almonds. The people realised that God has great Power and feared Him.

Application? – Do I ever complain against the leaders the Lord chooses? Do I really recognise the extent of the Lord’s Power? Do I anger Him when I complain against other Christians? Would I be wise not to?

Frances
Jul 1st 2010, 05:34 PM
Numbers 18

What does the text say? – The Lord told Aaron that he, his sons, and the rest of the Levites were responsible for anything that offended Him related to the Sanctuary, but only he and his sons would be held responsible for violations related to the priesthood – which is a Gift from God to them alone. The consecrated offerings the people brought to the Lord belonged to the priests, all the portions of the holy offerings not burned, and all the harvest offerings brought to the Lord – the best of all the oil, wine and grain – and all the first crops of everything brought to Him. The first-born of people and unclean animals must be redeemed for 5 pieces of silver, but the meat of the first-born cattle, sheep and goats belong to the priests after their blood has been sprinkled on the altar and their fat burned – just as the wave-offerings do. Instead of owning land the Levites will be entitled to all the tithes from the entire nation, of which they must give the Lord 1/10, and they must treat the 9/10 they keep as holy.

Application? – I am responsible for everything I allow into my body (1 Cor. 3:16-17 and 6:19-20). 1/10 of my income belongs to the Lord and the rest is only to be spent in ways He will approve of. Do I ensure I give the Lord His share of my gross income before taxes and other outgoings? Am I careful to only spend the remainder of my income on things He will approve of? Or do I fritter some away thoughtlessly?

Frances
Jul 2nd 2010, 04:18 PM
Numbers 19

What does the text say? – The Lord gave Moses and Aaron instructions for sacrificing a red heifer so her ashes would be available to use in the water for purification of Sin of touching a dead body; the ceremony must be performed on the 3rd and 7th days. If the water of purification is not sprinkled on the person on the prescribed way they remain defiled and will be cut off from the community. Anyone who touches the water of purification will remain defiled until evening.

Numbers 20

What does the text say? – The Israelites were in the Wilderness of Zin when Miriam died. There was no water. The Lord told Moses to speak to the rock infront of him and it would yield water, but he struck it twice with his staff and an abundance of water flowed from it; but the Lord told Moses and Aaron that neither of them would enter the Promised land because he struck the rock. The king of Edom refused to give permission for the Israelites to cross his territory. They went from Kadesh to Mt. Hor where the Lord said Aaron would die, so Moses and Eleazar went up Mt. Hor with Aaron, Aaron’s official garments were put on Eleazar and Aaron died. The Israelites mourned for Aaron for 30 days.

Application? – Although God gave the water when Moses struck the rock he was denied access to the Promised land, even though he had been faithful for many years; am I always careful to follow the Lord’s Instructions exactly? What Blessings have I forfeited because I have deviated slightly from what the Lord said? Moses God is my God and He doesn’t change.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “ Kadesh-barnea is generally identified with ‘Ain Kadees’ a strangely beautiful oasis, fed by 2 springgs flowing from beneath a rock cliff.”

Frances
Jul 3rd 2010, 03:34 PM
Numbers 21

What does the text say? – The Canaanite king of Arad who lived in the south(Negev) fought the Israelites and took some prisoners. Israel vowed to destroy all the Canaanite cities if the Lord enabled them to beat the Canaanites in battle – and He did. As they journeyed the people spoke against God and Moses, so He sent poisonous snakes, and many were bitten and died. When the people acknowledged their Sin the Lord told Moses to make a serpent on a pole, then all who were bitten and looked at it would live. The king of the Amorites fought against God’s people at Jahaz, and was defeated. The Israelites took possession of the land between the Arnon and Jabbok rivers and settled there. Then king Og of Bashan attacked the Israelites, who defeated Og and all his people, leaving no survivors; the occupied that land too.

Application? – Do I rely on myself, my strength, my intellect, and my training, to overcome battles for my mind and the difficulties I meet - or do I rely on Almighty God? Do I always keep my promises to be faithful to the Lord and to do His Will? Do I keep my eyes on the crucified and Risen Lord Jesus and so have Eternal Life?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “Afterwards the Israelites made an idol of the brazen serpent, called Nehushtan, and burned incense to it, till 700 years later Hezekah destroyed it (2 Kings 18:4).
Archeological note: Israel’s route. Recent excavations have revealed the ruins of hundreds of fortified cities that once covered the hills of Moab, Ammon and Gilead, indicating dense population, and powerful peoples, of the time of Moses.”

Frances
Jul 4th 2010, 04:27 PM
Numbers 22

What does the text say? – The Israelites camped in Moab near the Jordan, opposite Jericho. Balak, the king of Moab, sent for Balaam, who lived near the river Euphrates, offering him wealth, to curse the Israelites so his army could defeat them – but the Lord told him not to go. Balaak sent more messengers with a similar message. Balaam consulted the Lord again; this time He said Balaam could go, so long as he only did what the Lord told him. Balaam’s donkey saw the Angel of the Lord standing in it’s way with a drawn sword, so bolted off the road. Balaam beat, and turned the donkey back to the road. Then the Angel of the Lord stood where the road went between two vineyard walls, and trying to get around Him Balaam’s foot was crushed – the donkey was beaten again. Then the Angel stood where the road was too narrow for the donkey to get past Him, so it laid down, and Balaam beat it in rage – and the donkey asked “Why?” Then Balaam saw the Angel of the Lord and confessed his Sin. Balak took Balaam up to the High Place of Baal to see the Israelites spread out below.

Application? – When I obey the Lord do those who don’t know Him regard me as a threat? Do I always do as the Lord tells me? Do I ever try to persuade the Lord to change His mind if His Will means I will not get something I want? Do I make life more difficult for myself by asking the Lord again for something when He’s already said ‘No’? Are difficulties I encounter because the Lord lets me do what I want, even though my repeated request angers Him? Does disregarding the Lord mean I will (perhaps unknowingly) be going to a place dedicated to Satan?

Frances
Jul 5th 2010, 04:41 PM
Numbers 23 - 25

What does the text say? – Balaam told Balak to build 7 altars on the high places of Baal and prepare 7 bulls and 7 rams. Balaam and Balak offered a bull and ram on each altar. Balaam went to a desolate place to meet the Lord then returned to Balak and Blessed the Israelites. Then Balak took Balaam to the top of Mt. Pisgah and built 7 altars and offered a bull and a ram on each. Again Balaam met the Lord, then told Balak the Lord does not lie, and what He says He will do, that He had Blessed the Israelites and no one can reverse what He says. Then Balak took Balaam to the top of Mt. Peor and again built 7 altars and offered a bull and ram on each one. Again Balaam prophesied a Blessing on Israel. Balak was angry and Balaam prophesied the destruction of the surrounding nations – and the Rule of Jesus(?). Some Israelites had intercourse with Moabite women, were invited to feasts and they worshipped their gods – they worshipped Baal, making the Lord very angry, so Moses ordered the death of each one. Then an Israelite man openly took a Moabite woman into his tent, so Phinehas, Aaron’s grandson drove a spear through both of them together, which stopped the plague, but 24,000 people had already died.

Application? – I am foolish if I think God will change His mind. If He allows me to do as I want I may well, like Balaam, spend a lot of time and effort gaining nothing. My disobedience to the Lord may be the first step to an alliance with those who worship other gods, and leading others into Sin. Do I allow ungodly emotions to control my actions and keep me away from the Lord? If so, will it mean the Spiritual Death of myself and others? Do I have zeal for the Lord? Does that zeal encourage me to weep or take action?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “Balaam’s prophesies were a remarkable prediction of Israel’s influential place in history, through a ‘star’ to arise out of Jacob(24:17). Though God used him to utter correct prophecy, yet, Balaam, for money, was instigator of Israel’s shameful Sin with Moabite and Midianite women, for which Balaam slain (31:8) and 24,000 Israelites perished”.

Frances
Jul 6th 2010, 05:24 PM
Numbers 26 + 27

What does the text say? – The Lord told Moses and Eleazar to take a census of the men over 20years, able to fight. There were 43,730 descended from Reuben, 22,200 from Simeon, 40,500 from Gad, 76,500 from Judah, 64,300 from Issachaar, 60,500 from Zebulun, 52,700 from Manesseh, 32,500 from Ephraim, 45,600 from Benjamin, 63,400 from Dan, 53,400 from Asher, 45,400 from Naphtali. An army of 601,730 altogether. The Lord told Moses the Promised land must be divided according to the size of each tribe. There were also 23,000 male Levites who would not receive any land. Only Joshua the son of Nun, and Caleb the son of Jephunneh were left of those who were counted in the wilderness of Sinai. The Lord also told Moses that if a man has no son to inherit his property it must go to his daughters; then He told Moses to go up Mount Abarim to see the land He had Promised to His people – then he’d die; but first to take Joshua, son of Nun, before Eleazar and the whole congregation to be inaugurated leader in his place. So Moses laid his hands on Joshua in front of everyone, and consecrated him as the Lord had Commanded.

Application? – Every person is important to the Lord, and that includes me. No matter how much good work I may do for the Lord, it will not blot out even one time that I failed to demonstrate His Holiness; so if I don’t continue to trust in Jesus’ death and resurrection to have paid my penalty for my Sin I will Die.

Frances
Jul 7th 2010, 03:08 PM
Numbers 28

What does the text say? – The required burnt offerings were, daily, one 1 year old ram lamb each morning and each evening; with each lamb an offering of 4 pints of fine flour with 2 pints of olive oil and 2 pints of wine must be made. Each Sabbath 2 x 1year old ram lambs with no defects, with 8 pints of choice flour mixed with oil, and it’s drink offering. On the 1st of each month an extra Burnt offering of 2 young bulls, 1 ram and 7x1year old ram lambs, all with no defects, accompanied by 12 pints of choice flour mixed with olive oil with each bull, 4 pints with each lamb; also 4 pints of wine with each bull, a third of a gallon with each ram and 2 pints with each lamb. Also, on the 1st day of each month a Sin offering of a male goat is required. On the 14th day of the 1st month Passover must be celebrated, followed by a 7 day Festival of Joy, when only unleavened bread may be eaten; the 1st and last days must be Holy days when no work is done, and special Burnt offerings of 2 young bulls, 1 ram, and 7 x 1year old ram lambs are required, with grain offerings of 12 pints with each bull, 8 pints with each ram, and 4 pints with each lamb. Also, a male goat must be offered as a Sin offering. All this must be in addition to the regular Burnt and Drink offerings. At the Harvest Festival a special Burnt offering must be made consisting of 2 young bulls, one ram and 7 one year old ram lambs, accompanied by their grain and drink offerings, in addition to the regular Burnt offerings and their grain offerings. All Sacrifices must be perfect with no defects.

Application? – Do I regularly offer the Lord the best that I have of what He requires from me?

Note:- an Omer was 10% of an ephah, which held about 4 pints.

Frances
Jul 8th 2010, 06:23 PM
Numbers 29

What does the text say? – The Lord said the 1st day of the 7th month is to be a day of blowing the trumpets and a Burnt offering must be made of a young bull, a ram and 7 lambs without blemish, together with grain offerings of 12 pints with the bull, 8 pints with the ram and 4 pints with each lamb. In addition, a male goat must be a Sin offering to make atonement. These offerings are as well as normal regular offerings. The 10th day of the 7th month must be the Day of Atonement when everyone must fast and do no ordinary work and similar offerings to those on the 1st day must be made. 5 days later is the beginning of the Festival of Shelters. No ordinary work may be done on that day and a Burnt offering of 13 young bulls, 2 rams and 14 x 1 year old male lambs must be made to the Lord, together with a male goat for a Sin offering, each accompanied by the relevant grain offerings – in addition to the regular burnt offering, grain and drink offerings. On each day of the Festival similar offerings must be made, the only difference being that each day one less bull is to be sacrificed, so on the 7th day of the Festival 7 bulls will be sacrificed instead of 13 on the 1st day. On the 8th day no ordinary work may be done and similar offerings must be made, the only difference being that only one bull will be sacrificed. All these offerings are as well as any other offerings in connection with vows, voluntary offerings, burnt offering, grain or peace offerings.

Application? – Jesus Christ’s Sacrifice made all these obligatory sacrifices unnecessary. Is my repentance and faith in Him genuine?

Frances
Jul 9th 2010, 05:39 PM
Numbers 30

What does the text say? – The Lord told Moses that if a man made a vow, or a pledge, under oath to Him it could never be broken. If a woman similarly makes a vow or pledge her father, if she lives in his home, or her husband if she is married, can overrule it if he does so the day he first hears of it, otherwise her pledge stands.
The Lord told Moses the Israelites must take revenge on the Midianites for leading them into idolatry – then he would die. So Phinehas, son of Eleazar the priest, led 1,000 men from each of the 12 tribes into battle, taking the holy objects and trumpets from the sanctuary. All the Midianite men were killed, including the 5 kings and Balaam the son of Beor; then they captured all the women, children, livestock and possessions, and burned all the towns and villages. All the plunder was taken to Eleazar and Moses. Moses was furious with the leaders of the army for letting the women live, as they were the ones who had caused the Israelites to rebel against the Lord at Mt. Peor and were responsible for the plague striking the Israelites, so all the boys and the women who were not virgins were killed. The law regarding the dead must be adhered to, and anyone who had killed someone must stay outside the camp for 7 days, then wash their clothes before returning to the camp. Eleazar said anything made of gold, silver, bronze, tin or iron must be passed through fire and the water of purification, but everything that burns must be purified by the water alone. The Lord told Moses to divide the plunder in two, 1 half for the fighting men and the other for the congregation. From the army’s half a 500th to be given to Eleazar as a Heave offering to the Lord. From the congregation’s half a 50th to go to the Levites. The plunder was 675,000 sheep, 72,000 cattle, 61,000 donkeys, and 32,000 virgins. The Lord’s portion was 675 sheep, 72 cattle, 61 donkeys and 32 females. As no soldiers had been lost the army each gave a thank-offering of a piece of gold jewellery from their spoils, which amounted to 420lbs which Moses and Eleazar took into the Tabernacle as a memorial for the people before the Lord.

Application? – This underlines women’s subjugation to men, and that inanimate objects can have spiritual implications. Have I ensured all pre-owned articles in my possession are spiritually pure? Or is my life, unknowingly, influenced by their past spiritual associations? Am I punctilious regarding giving the Lord His share of my income, and also thank offerings towards His Work?

Frances
Jul 10th 2010, 04:24 PM
Numbers 31:25 - 54

What does the text say? – The Lord told Moses to divide the plunder in two halves; one half for those in the army and the other for the rest of the Israelites. From the army’s half a 500th of everything to be given to Eleazar as a heave offering to the Lord, from the congregation’s half a 50th to be given to the Levites. The plunder was 675,000 sheep. 72,000 cattle, 61,000 donkeys, and 32,00 women who were virgins. The Lord’s portion was 675 sheep, 72 head of cattle, 61 donkeys and 32 virgins. The army officers confirmed that no men had been killed, and each man in the army had given a Thank offering to the Lord of a piece of gold jewellery from their spoils, which amounted to 16,750 shekels (420 pounds) which Moses and Eleazar took into the Tabernacle as a memorial for the people before the Lord.

Application? – Am I punctilious regarding giving the Lord His share of my income,, and also giving Thank offerings towards His Work?

Frances
Jul 11th 2010, 03:41 PM
Numbers 32

What does the text say? – The descendants of Reuben and Gad wanted to inherit the land of Jazer in Gilead instead of land the other side of the Jordan. Moses gave them permission to do so, provided the men still fought alongside the rest of the Israelite army to conquer Canaan. They agreed to this, so they, and half the descendants of Manasseh, ensured their wives and children were safe in the land formerly of Amorite king Sion and king Og of Bashan and Gilead.

Application? - Do I fight, in prayer with, and for, Christians in the forefront of the Battle against ungodliness? Do I do all I am able, physically, for those suffering under unGodly regimes?

Frances
Jul 12th 2010, 05:55 PM
Numbers 33

What does the text say? – The journeys of the Israelites from the 15th day of the 1st month, the day after Passover, when they left Ramesees and travelled to Succoth, then Etham, then pi Hahiroth, then after crossing the Red Sea and travelling 3 days, Marah, then Elim where there were 12 springs, then by the Red Sea, then in the Wilderness of Zin, then at Dophkah, then Alush, then Rephidim, where there was no water, then the Wilderness of Sinai, then Kibroth Hattaavah(Graves of Craving), then Hazeroth, then Rithmah, then Rimmon Perez, then Libnah, then Rissah, then Kehelathah, then Mount Shephar, then Haradah, then Makkeloth, then Tahath, the Terah, then Mithkah, then Hashmonah, then Moseroth, then, BeneJaakam, then Hor Hagidgad, then Jotbathah, then Abronah, then Ezion Geber, then Kadesh in the Wilderness of Zin, then mount Hor where Aaron died, then Zalmonah, then Punon, then Oboth, then Ije Abarim, then Dibin Gad, then Almon Diblathaim, then near Mount Nebo, then in the plains of Moab across from Jericho, where the Lord told Moses to tell the Israelites He was giving them possession of the land, to be divided among them according to the size of each clan. The present inhabitants would harass them and cause pain and discomfort if they were not all driven out of the land and the Lord would treat His people as He intended to treat the Canaanites.

Application? – Are unfortunate situations in my life prolonged because I haven’t obeyed the Lord in the past? If I don’t follow the Lord’s Instructions in every detail I will suffer in some way, and I will have no one to blame but myself.

Frances
Jul 13th 2010, 05:24 PM
Numbers 34

What does the text say? – The Lord told Moses the land of Canaan was their Inheritance. The Southern boundary was from the Wilderness of Zin , along the border of Edom, then eastwards to the end of the Salt(dead) Sea. It ran south past Scorpion Pass in the direction of Zin, the most southerly point being Kadesh Barnea, then on to Hazzar-addar and on to Azmon, then turned towards the Brook of Egypt and ends at the Salt Sea. Their Western boundary was the Great (Mediterranean) Sea. The Northern boundary begins at the Mediterranean Sea and goes to Mount Hor, then to Lebo-hamath, and on through Zedad and Ziphron to Hazar-enan. The Eastern boundary from Hazar-enan going south to Shepham, then down to Riblah on the east side of Ain. From there the boundary is along the eastern edge of the Sea of Chinnereth(Galilee) and along the Jordan and ends at the Salt(Dead) Sea. The land to be divided by Sacred lot among the Nine and a half remaining tribes – Reuben, Gad and half the tribe of Manesseh having received their land already on the East of the Jordan, towards the sunrise. Eleazar the priest, and Joshua son of Nun were to divide the land among the people, and one leader from each tribe must help them – these men were identified.

Application? – What are the boundaries the Lord has set for me? Boundaries of behaviour, wise actions, and spiritual involvement. Do I ensure that those I learn from are true to God’s Word? Has the Lord identified me as the one of my family to ensure others receive,and live by,the Truth of His Word?

Frances
Jul 14th 2010, 05:48 PM
Numbers 35 + 36

What does the text say? – The Lord said the Levites must be given some cities(towns?) by each tribe, with pasture land around each city for their livestock, extending 15,000 feet from the walls in every direction. The Levites must be given a total of 48 cites. The number of towns each tribe must give to the Levites depended on the size of the land each tribe receives. 6 of the Levite towns, 3 each side of the Jordan, must be designated cities of refuge for anyone who accidentally kills someone, but not for intentional murderers who must be executed. The person who had not intended to murder must stay in the city of refuge until the death of the High Priest, then they could safely return to their home. All intentional murderers must be executed, but only on the evidence of more than one witness. A ransom must never be accepted to allow a slayer to return to his own property, also no sacrifice, except execution of the culprit, can purify the land from murder. No one may defile the land where the Lord dwells among His people, with impunity. If a man had no sons, his daughters could only marry within their own tribe or their husbands would gain the inheritance of another tribe; irrevocably altering the boundaries.

Application? – Has anything I have said or done killed/destroyed anyone’s reputation? If so, was it done intentionally or unintentionally? If it was intentional they have the right to destroy my reputation too. If I unintentionally destroyed someone or their reputation, and if Jesus Christ is my High Priest (Heb. 2:17 + 4:14), His death has set me free. Do any of my actions bring dis-respect to the Lord? Will the spiritual inheritance of future generations suffer if I marry someone who is not a Christian?