PDA

View Full Version : Overlooked Resurrection

Christ Warrior
Jun 18th 2010, 05:37 PM
Matthew 27:52-53 says

The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people. (NIV)(This was after Jesus' death). Does anyone else find this extremely strange? Jesus did speak of a resurrection, yet this was of the Second Coming. Does anyone know why people were resurrected after Jesus' crucifixion?

-SEEKING-
Jun 18th 2010, 05:39 PM
I don't find it strange but I'm not sure why it happened.

Slug1
Jun 18th 2010, 05:43 PM

(This was after Jesus' death). Does anyone else find this extremely strange? Jesus did speak of a resurrection, yet this was of the Second Coming. Does anyone know why people were resurrected after Jesus' crucifixion?Was Lazareth resurrected or raised from the dead? Were these holy people raised from the dead or resurrected? Was anyone raised from the dead, resurrected?

Only Jesus has been resurrected... so far.

-SEEKING-
Jun 18th 2010, 05:47 PM
Was Lazareth resurrected or raised from the dead? Were these holy people raised from the dead or resurrected? Was anyone raised from the dead, resurrected?

Only Jesus has been resurrected... so far.

Hmm. Interesting. What's the difference? Between what happened to Lazarus and Jesus? Now you've got me curious.

notuptome
Jun 18th 2010, 05:53 PM
The graves were opened when the earthquake marked the death of Jesus. The dead did not resurrect until after Christ had risen from the dead. These gave witness to the resurrection appearing to many. We can only infer that these went into heaven with Christ.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

notuptome
Jun 18th 2010, 05:54 PM
Hmm. Interesting. What's the difference? Between what happened to Lazarus and Jesus? Now you've got me curious.
Lazurus was raised in his former body and Christ rose with a glorified body. For one.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

TrustingFollower
Jun 18th 2010, 06:20 PM
It says they were raised to life, but it does not say they were resurrected. I think there is a difference there. As was previously mentioned Lazarus was raised to life after he died, but he did not have a resurrected body yet. Lazarus ultimately died again at some point. I can only assume that the same would have to be the case for these holy people too. Scripture clearly tells us we receive an incorruptible body at the resurrection and that is at the return of Jesus. So my line of thinking on this is that this was another miraculous sign to bring glory to God and testify to the power of Jesus.

markedward
Jun 18th 2010, 06:46 PM
Lazurus was raised in his former body and Christ rose with a glorified body. For one.Jesus Christ was raised in his former body as well... The difference is that Lazarus' former body was not raised to be incorruptible, whereas Jesus' body was raised incorruptible.

notuptome
Jun 18th 2010, 08:14 PM
Jesus Christ was raised in his former body as well... The difference is that Lazarus' former body was not raised to be incorruptible, whereas Jesus' body was raised incorruptible.
Well I support the bodily resurrection of Christ. I said glorified body you say incorruptible body I think we mean the same thing. There were certainly some tweeks that Lazurus did not have. It still does not settle the question of the others who were resurrected with Christ.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

markedward
Jun 18th 2010, 08:18 PM
Sorry; my contention was with your phrasing that "Lazarus was raised in his former body", which seemed to imply that you did not believe Jesus Christ "was raised in his former body", when he was.

SirToady
Jun 18th 2010, 08:31 PM

(This was after Jesus' death). Does anyone else find this extremely strange? Jesus did speak of a resurrection, yet this was of the Second Coming. Does anyone know why people were resurrected after Jesus' crucifixion?

Elijah 1Kings 17:21-22, Elisha 2 Kings 4:32-35, Peter Acts 9:40, and Paul Acts 20:9-11 also raised the dead.

Christ gives power to his disciples:
Matthew 10:8 “Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.”

So the disciples, including Judas had received power from Christ and nothing suggests they ever lost it.

As to why, the disciples were following the instructions of Christ. Today, we have medical technologies and practices that can - within a very small time frame - revive people within certain conditions. But this is not the same as what Christ, his disciples, and others did.

TrustingFollower
Jun 18th 2010, 09:05 PM
Well I support the bodily resurrection of Christ. I said glorified body you say incorruptible body I think we mean the same thing. There were certainly some tweeks that Lazurus did not have. It still does not settle the question of the others who were resurrected with Christ.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Personally I think there is a difference between being raised from dead to life and being resurrected. It may sound like splitting hairs, but I see the resurrection as getting our glorified/incorporable bodies. Being raised from the dead means you get the same old sinful body we had before. I think that is the distinction in this passage. Like you said about Lazarus missing some of the tweaks, I think these people lacked the tweaks too.

After all we know that Jesus is the first fruit of the resurrection and looking at the passages in context it shows that these holy people were raised at the time of Jesus' death when the veil in the temple had been torn. So if Jesus had just died and has not been raised yet then we can conclude that this raising of the dead has to be of the same nature as Lazarus' raising from the dead and lacking the tweaks needed to be part of the resurrection.

newinchrist4now
Jun 18th 2010, 09:10 PM
Is there any extra Biblical evidence of these peoples who were raised? It would be very interesting to know of the reactions. Like someone sitting down and one of their firmly dead loved ones coming and saying "Hi, I'm back" :)

SirToady
Jun 18th 2010, 11:52 PM
Is there any extra Biblical evidence of these peoples who were raised? It would be very interesting to know of the reactions. Like someone sitting down and one of their firmly dead loved ones coming and saying "Hi, I'm back" :)

The event certainly would have caused great commotion-yet I also have not seen anything other than the scripture, but that doesn't discount it.

newinchrist4now
Jun 19th 2010, 12:03 AM
True. I am wondering if that's where stories like that came down to us, some stories I heard had formly deceased people come back.