PDA

View Full Version : What Denomination Are You? (just curious)

Tiffany Faith
Jun 30th 2010, 12:38 AM
I'm non-denomination but my views are closest to southern baptists. :)

AndrewBaptistFL
Jun 30th 2010, 12:42 AM
I consider myself more a follower of Christ than of a denomination, at least I do my best to be. I attend a Calvary Chapel church.

bmerich
Jun 30th 2010, 12:46 AM
Me too. I do not classify myself in any denomination, but rather try to follow Christ's example. I am currently attending a Church of Christ.

Tiffany Faith
Jun 30th 2010, 12:47 AM
I only ask because your denomination lets me know what views you have thats all. We all have different views.

-SEEKING-
Jun 30th 2010, 12:53 AM

So you're saying your a "Non-Denominationalist" :cool:

I don't consider myself anything but a Christian. For the first 15 years as a believer I attended a Hispanic Charismatic church. I now attend a Southern Baptist church.

AndrewBaptistFL
Jun 30th 2010, 12:54 AM
I only ask because your denomination lets me know what views you have thats all. We all have different views.

I'd disagree with my pastor if he contradicted the Bible. I didn't choose any denomination, I simply planted myself in a church and got to know the people. The pastor teaches straight from the Bible so we don't typically have discussions on views, though I have a great many here.

newinchrist4now
Jun 30th 2010, 12:55 AM

I am going to the local Catholic Church and sometimes I go to local the Southern Baptist

Amos_with_goats
Jun 30th 2010, 12:57 AM

Thankfully, that is less correct then it may appear. Many denom's are fairly diverse.

If you search there is a VERY LONG thread with a poll that will probably give you a pretty good idea of the answer to your question.

On edit... Here you go; http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/142106-Denominations-on-BibleForums?highlight=denominations (http://bibleforums.org/142106-Denominations-on-BibleForums?highlight=denominations)

Tiffany Faith
Jun 30th 2010, 12:59 AM
OK let me change the question...What church do you go to? I go to Bible Baptist.

-SEEKING-
Jun 30th 2010, 01:00 AM
I am going to the local Catholic Church and sometimes I go to local the Southern Baptist

Hey. That just about sums me up as well. I keep forgetting that part. Well technically I only go to the Catholic Church for a Emaus men's meeting. I don't attend mass per so. So I guess my original posts stands as is.

Well then. Carry on!

Firefighter
Jun 30th 2010, 01:03 AM
Christian. I prefer "Interdenominational"... it sounds much better than AngliBapticostal.:D

Frecs
Jun 30th 2010, 01:22 AM
Christian. I prefer "Interdenominational"... it sounds much better than AngliBapticostal.:D

Dude, you are just confused. ;)

I was raised Southern Baptist, I've attend a Nazarene church and a few non-denominational churches, was a card-carrying member of the Assemblies of God for over 20 years and now I'm attending a non-denom-turned-Church-of-God called Highest Praise Worship Center in the huge metropolis if Shallotte, NC (www.hpwc.org).

HisLeast
Jun 30th 2010, 01:26 AM
I am not yet a member of an orthodox/liturgical church, nor am I Anglican, so that makes me protestant by definition.

Firefighter
Jun 30th 2010, 01:28 AM
I was raised Church of God, left and pastored an interdenominational church, filled in during a long pastoral change at a Southern Baptist Church, co-presided at an Anglican wedding (yes, I wore the collar and the whole nine yards :rofl:), attend a "Cowboy Church". I have preached or ministered in a host of different denominational churches.

amazzin
Jun 30th 2010, 01:31 AM
God fearing-Jesus believing-Holy Spirit baptised and Heaven bound follower of Christ.

Denominations are not important to me. Only the lost souls of mankind!

RabbiKnife
Jun 30th 2010, 02:18 AM
God fearing-Jesus believing-Holy Spirit baptised and Heaven bound follower of Christ.

I am a classical Arminian theologically that is an elder and frequest teaching elder in a church that is a member of the Reformed Church In American.

I am also a non-tongue speaking charismatic.

GitRDunn
Jun 30th 2010, 02:25 AM
I attend a United Methodist Church although I first and foremost just consider myself Christian.

Amos_with_goats
Jun 30th 2010, 02:28 AM

http://bibleforums.org/images/icons/icon14.gif . :D

Slug1
Jun 30th 2010, 02:32 AM
God has me serving in a church that is Church of God, thus Pentecostal and that doesn't speak my language. Everything has to be translated for me. Here God has me serve as an Elder at this church... God is Amazing!!

markedward
Jun 30th 2010, 02:37 AM
I attend: Wesleyan, Assembly of God, and Vineyard.

I am, simply, a Christian.

hisvessel1
Jun 30th 2010, 03:06 AM
OK let me change the question...What church do you go to? I go to Bible Baptist.

I don't see why you changed your question. I'm non denom. I also know that Jesus Christ Is Lord.

ThyWordIsTruth
Jun 30th 2010, 03:52 AM
I attend an independant fundamental Baptist church. I started out in an Assemblies of God Pentecostal church.

onecalled
Jun 30th 2010, 05:22 AM
I was saved and baptized in the Holy Ghost at a Pentecostal church. I now go to a Southern Baptist church. But I am a Child of God, and that is all. Labeling me with a religious name doesn't work for me. Even though I go to a Southern Baptist church I still believe in the bible as a whole, I don't pick and choose which parts of the bible I want to believe in. My church does not openly speak in tongues, but that doesn't make my speaking in tongues void. The "church" still has the same problems it had 2,000 years ago, and that is people. We are all sinners saved by Jesus Christ and are (hopefully) moment by moment (through the Holy Spirit) being made into the image of Christ.

kay-gee
Jun 30th 2010, 12:20 PM
Out of curiosity what is the difference between a Southern Baptist and a regular Baptist?

Please don't say that they are down south! LOL

all the best...

-SEEKING-
Jun 30th 2010, 12:32 PM
Out of curiosity what is the difference between a Southern Baptist and a regular Baptist?

all the best...

Dangit. You ruined my punchline.

Redeemed by Grace
Jun 30th 2010, 12:40 PM

all the best...

Southern Fried Chicken?

[Baptists are known for their food fellowships]

-SEEKING-
Jun 30th 2010, 12:41 PM
Southern Fried Chicken?

[Baptists are known for their food fellowships]

That's so true. I've enjoyed "fellowshipping" with these brothers.

Br. Barnabas
Jun 30th 2010, 12:42 PM
I am an Anglican a very high church Anglo-dox (Anglican with Orthodox leanings, on theological issues). I am also trying to lean towards a charistmatic beliefs, ie I believe in the gifts of the Spirit. Which is actually pretty present in many of the new Anglican missions in America.

Tiffany Faith
Jun 30th 2010, 12:43 PM
Lol! We are southern baptists because of our southern hospitality. We're all good ol country folk. lol

kay-gee
Jun 30th 2010, 12:54 PM
Southern hospitality and fried chicken...I'm almost persuaded to convert.

all the best...

GreekAsianPanda
Jun 30th 2010, 12:54 PM
I'm non-denominational. I go to a Lutheran church, but I don't agree with its doctrine and I might leave when I get old enough to.

daughter
Jun 30th 2010, 12:57 PM
I'm always being told I'm an evangelical, whatever that means. Or reformed. Or a calvinist, or an arminian.

Can't say as I know for sure.

-SEEKING-
Jun 30th 2010, 12:58 PM
I'm always being told I'm an evangelical, whatever that means.

I believe evangelical means that salvation comes by faith, not by works. Traditionally I think this is what separated Catholic and Protestant doctrine. I could be wrong though.

notuptome
Jun 30th 2010, 01:08 PM
Non-denom independent fundamentalist biblical Christian.

Southern baptist refers to the convention with which the church associates. There are a number of baptist conventions the divisions sourcing from a number of internal disagreements in their liturgy. At least that is what I understand of the matter.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

notuptome
Jun 30th 2010, 01:10 PM
I believe evangelical means that salvation comes by faith, not by works. Traditionally I think this is what separated Catholic and Protestant doctrine. I could be wrong though.
I have always understood this to mean that they supported the evangelism of the lost. They actively sought converts through missions work and outreach in their local communities.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Slug1
Jun 30th 2010, 01:12 PM
Southern baptist refers to the convention with which the church associates. There are a number of baptist conventions the divisions sourcing from a number of internal disagreements in their liturgy. At least that is what I understand of the matter.
Yeah, isn't the latest division about whether or not to detail how to conduct Potluck Fellowship into their doctrine... or is that the Nazarene who are in disagreement over this?

:lol:

-SEEKING-
Jun 30th 2010, 01:13 PM
I have always understood this to mean that they supported the evangelism of the lost. They actively sought converts through missions work and outreach in their local communities.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Hmm. I'm not really sure myself, it was just something I heard recently.

Frecs
Jun 30th 2010, 01:20 PM

all the best...

There are lots of different flavors of Baptist. There is Southern...Primitive...Hardshell...Regular...Funda mentalist...and plenty of others I can't think of off the top of my head. I actually had grandparents that were Hardshell...:eek: ...as to differences...some are minor, others more significant....

notuptome
Jun 30th 2010, 01:21 PM
Yeah, isn't the latest division about whether or not to detail how to conduct Potluck Fellowship into their doctrine... or is that the Nazarene who are in disagreement over this?

:lol:
Indeed the really weighty matters of the faith...white or dark meat? Stuffing or dressing made with potato or bread? The burdens are truely too great to be borne alone.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Tiffany Faith
Jun 30th 2010, 01:30 PM
LOL. Well as a southern baptists my beliefs are... (wait for it)
1) Jesus is God and he died for our sins so that we can be saved by faith in Him through the grace of God.
2) We are saved by FAITH not WORKS
3) Once saved, Always saved
4) We go straight to Heaven (if we are saved) or Hell (if not saved) when we die
5) Having a personal relationship with God is more important than church rituals and traditions
6) Eating chicken once a month with other believers is a must!
LOL

=

notuptome
Jun 30th 2010, 01:30 PM
There are lots of different flavors of Baptist. There is Southern...Primitive...Hardshell...Regular...Funda mentalist...and plenty of others I can't think of off the top of my head. I actually had grandparents that were Hardshell...:eek: ...as to differences...some are minor, others more significant....
They all have differing positions taught in their schools that educate their future pastors.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

bc3n1
Jun 30th 2010, 01:31 PM
I was raised Methodist (my maternal great-grandparents were charter members in the 1800's) then Charismatic during the outpouring of the Spirit in the Catholic predominant area of South Louisiana in the late 50's - early 60's, now I consider myself a child of the Most High God presently attending a home church.

TexasBeliever
Jun 30th 2010, 02:44 PM
I was raised Catholic, but after years of bible study, I think denominations are ridiculous. I'm just a plain old bible believing Christian. The first Christians were called "Followers of the Way" and that pretty much sums it up.

MoreMercy
Jun 30th 2010, 03:59 PM
Denomination translated means: division.
What Denomination Are You?... To answer that question I would have to confess to my fellows that I divide the body of Christ,
amen.
I was raised a protestant, but now I only follow my shepherd.

RabbiKnife
Jun 30th 2010, 04:02 PM
Denomination translated means: division.
What Denomination Are You?... To answer that question I would have to confess to my fellows that I divide the body of Christ,
amen.
I was raise a protestant, buy now I only follow my shepard.

Denomination does not mean division...

The Mighty Sword
Jun 30th 2010, 04:03 PM
I'm a Threetrustingseekingurbanhansenite.

PrayerInMemphis
Jun 30th 2010, 04:11 PM
as echoed by others earlier in the thread, i too, couldn't care less about denominations.

"Bible-believing follower of Christ" is how i choose to identify myself.

i attend an Assemblies of God Church but I am not a member.

-SEEKING-
Jun 30th 2010, 04:35 PM
I'm a Threetrustingurbanhansenite.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I feel so left out. :cry:

Firefighter
Jun 30th 2010, 04:37 PM
You should. You didn't get any carrot cake cheesecake either...:lol:

The Mighty Sword
Jun 30th 2010, 04:46 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I feel so left out. :cry:

Correction:

-SEEKING-
Jun 30th 2010, 04:46 PM
You should. You didn't get any carrot cake cheesecake either...:lol:

Wow. Getting hit on all sides. Let me get out of here before it gets worse.

Amos_with_goats
Jun 30th 2010, 04:50 PM
Correction:

Now it is I who feel left out...

-SEEKING-
Jun 30th 2010, 04:50 PM

Oh yeah. Now I feel the love.

The Mighty Sword
Jun 30th 2010, 05:03 PM
Now it is I who feel left out...

Correction 2:

I'm a ThreetrustingseekingAmos_with_goatsurbanhansenite.

teddyv
Jun 30th 2010, 05:08 PM
I am a member of the Christian Reformed Church.

Uncle Bud
Jun 30th 2010, 05:09 PM
Bible Methodist Connection

crawfish
Jun 30th 2010, 06:27 PM
I am a member of a church of Christ, but it resembles more an independent Christian church or a non-denominational church more than a traditional church of Christ.

Tiffany Faith
Jun 30th 2010, 09:05 PM
So back to the original thread.
What church does everyone go to?

MoreMercy
Jun 30th 2010, 09:19 PM

I dont go to church but, I form a member of the body of Christ on earth today (the church) when I follow behind the Shepherd.

I am called out of the fallen world, called out to follow the Shepherd, when I follow behind Him I am a member of His body on earth today (the church)

No denominations or physical buildings involved just two or more of Father's children who gather together under Christ name on earth/fallen creation.

The Mighty Sword
Jun 30th 2010, 09:20 PM

I thought the Thread was on Denomination, not what church.

-SEEKING-
Jun 30th 2010, 09:26 PM
MOD NOTE:
All posts concerning the Body/Bride were moved to it's own thread. You can find it here (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/211798-The-Body-Bride-%28From-Denominations-thread%29) .

TexasBeliever
Jun 30th 2010, 09:52 PM
I don't go to church any more, not that I wouldn't like to, but it's too lonely going alone. I used to go with my family, then my parents died and my husband is not a churchgoer. He believes in God but that's it.

Tiffany Faith
Jun 30th 2010, 09:59 PM
I'm really glad I started going back to church. My husband and I church hopped for a while because there were things we didn't like about a few churches...
We went to a cowboy church and one Sunday they had a guitarist come and play music the WHOLE TIME. No sermon. AND HE DIDN'T PLAY EVEN ONE GOSPEL OR CHRISTIAN SONG. He played stuff like Iron Maiden and some classical spanish guitar stuff. Then they asked the congregation to pay him via the offering plate and then they sold his non-christian c.d's right there behind the pews at a little table and the money all went to him and not the church. I kept thinking that Jesus would have kicked everyone out and turned his tables over. I never went back

Then I went to a baptist church close by my house but the preacher was rude to us...

Now I go to Bible Baptist and so far I really like it. ANyways my point is that it feels good to go back to church even though it took a couple of months to find the right one. :)

kay-gee
Jun 30th 2010, 10:22 PM
I am so curious about this. Been on my mind all day. What is a Hardshell Baptist?

all the best...

MoreMercy
Jun 30th 2010, 10:29 PM
I am so curious about this. Been on my mind all day. What is a Hardshell Baptist?

all the best...
Sounds like an old wineskin, but I dunno.

RabbiKnife
Jul 1st 2010, 01:38 PM
Sounds like an old wineskin, but I dunno.

"Hardshell Baptist" is a term used primarily in the south to describe a group that were baptist in governance and extremely 5 point Calvinist in theology. They believe that is your are elect your are elect and there is nothing you can do about it, and if you are damned to hell then you are damned to hell and there is nothing you can do about it. They are anti-missionary and anti-evangelism. They also have no Sunday Schools and do not believe in higher education for their ministers. They are an extreme version of Primitive Baptists, usually isolated, usually rural.

Slug1
Jul 1st 2010, 01:39 PM
"Hardshell Baptist" is a term used primarily in the south to describe a group that were baptist in governance and extremely 5 point Calvinist in theology. They believe that is your are elect your are elect and there is nothing you can do about it, and if you are damned to hell then you are damned to hell and there is nothing you can do about it. They are anti-missionary and anti-evangelism. They also have no Sunday Schools and do not believe in higher education for their ministers. They are an extreme version of Primitive Baptists, usually isolated, usually rural.Are these those chruches made up of a single family bloodline extended out to like the 4th cousin level?

RabbiKnife
Jul 1st 2010, 01:43 PM
No, not any more than any other small church group. You do tend to get that with any church of less than 50 people!

kay-gee
Jul 1st 2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks for that. I had never heard of it before. Now, do they refer to themselves as that or is it a name given to them by others? For instance could I drive through the country in the rural South and see a sign on a church building saying HARDSHELL BAPTIST CHURCH?

all the best...

Slug1
Jul 1st 2010, 01:51 PM
No, not any more than any other small church group. You do tend to get that with any church of less than 50 people!Hahaha, I remember when I walked into the church I now serve in... it was a "full" night because a guest speaker/evangelist was there that night... about 20 were in attendance. I thought... what am I getting myself into!!! 3 Years later, we're much larger and what a blessing.

Hardshell Baptist... I would not beleive there are people who would put faith in such a twisting of the Word of God this way but I know the enemy can be persuasive and blind people.

Firefighter
Jul 1st 2010, 04:20 PM
They also tend to be very legalistic. Many will not allow a piano in the church because it is not mentioned in the Bible. :B

amazzin
Jul 1st 2010, 04:23 PM
They also tend to be very legalistic. Many will not allow a piano in the church because it is not mentioned in the Bible. :B

Ah yes. The old "Do you use instruments in church" thread. Always eye opening. It's been awhile since we've had a thread on that topic

Slug1
Jul 1st 2010, 04:23 PM
They also tend to be very legalistic. Many will not allow a piano in the church because it is not mentioned in the Bible. :BWhen I first entered the church I attend, all they had were tamborines. I thought, uh oh for this very reason you did the head banging. Nope... it was all they could afford at that time.

Tamborines and clapping/foot stomping (for timing) and singing to praise and worship God!

Man... we've come a long way since then :lol:

Amos_with_goats
Jul 1st 2010, 04:24 PM
Correction 2:

I'm a ThreetrustingseekingAmos_with_goatsurbanhansenite.

I want to say 'cool' but I am rather freaked out by all of this... :hmm:

kay-gee
Jul 1st 2010, 10:36 PM

Our church won't either but I am not a Hardshell Baptist.

all the best...

kay-gee
Jul 1st 2010, 10:40 PM
Hahaha, I remember when I walked into the church I now serve in... it was a "full" night because a guest speaker/evangelist was there that night... about 20 were in attendance. I thought... what am I getting myself into!!! 3 Years later, we're much larger and what a blessing.

Hardshell Baptist... I would not beleive there are people who would put faith in such a twisting of the Word of God this way but I know the enemy can be persuasive and blind people.

Hardshell is a twisting of The Word?

Explain please.

all the best...

notuptome
Jul 1st 2010, 10:46 PM

Explain please.

all the best...
Likely he's referring to the five point Calvinism part.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Slug1
Jul 2nd 2010, 12:26 AM

Explain please.

all the best...

Likely he's referring to the five point Calvinism part.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Yep, Roger said it an I'll echo it... a Hardshell extreme of Calvinism? Anti-Evangelistic, Anti-Missionary... ya might as well say... anti-Christ(like). Clearly no love.

ThyWordIsTruth
Jul 2nd 2010, 04:00 AM
Yep, Roger said it an I'll echo it... a Hardshell extreme of Calvinism? Anti-Evangelistic, Anti-Missionary... ya might as well say... anti-Christ(like). Clearly no love.

I think the proper term for them is hyper Calvinist correct?

kay-gee
Jul 2nd 2010, 01:36 PM
My other question would be...Why does a denomination that is against baptism call themselves Baptist.

all the best...

Athanasius
Jul 2nd 2010, 03:23 PM
My other question would be...Why does a denomination that is against baptism call themselves Baptist.

all the best...

They aren't against baptism, even though they oppose the doctrine(s) that teach that baptism is necessary for salvation. That's an important distinction.

Athanasius
Jul 2nd 2010, 03:26 PM
I attend a Pentecostal church, but have never considered myself "Pentecostal" over "Christian," nor would I consider myself some denominational name.

Tiffany Faith
Jul 2nd 2010, 03:27 PM
They aren't against baptism, even though they oppose the doctrine(s) that teach that baptism is necessary for salvation. That's an important distinction.

Baptists don't believe baptism is nessicery for salvation.

Tiffany Faith
Jul 2nd 2010, 04:35 PM
ever mindful of the congregation, the baptist preacher and
his wife decided to get a new dog, and knew that the dog
also had to be a baptist.

they visited kennel after kennel and explained their needs.
finally, they found a kennel whose owner assured them he had
just the dog they wanted.

the owner brought the dog to meet the pastor and
his wife. "fetch the Bible," he commanded. the dog bounded to
the bookshelf, scrutinized the books, located the Bible, and brought it
to the owner.

"now find Psalm 23," he commanded.

the dog dropped the Bible to the floor, and showing
marvelous dexterity with his paws, leafed through and
finding the correct passage, pointed to it with his
paw. the pastor and his wife were very impressed and
purchased the dog.

that evening, a group of church members came to visit. the
pastor and his wife began to show off the dog, having him
locate several Bible verses. the visitors were very impressed.
one man asked, "can he do regular dog tricks, too?"
"i haven't tried yet" the pastor replied. he pointed his
finger at the dog. "HEEL!" the pastor commanded. the dog
immediately jumped on a chair, placed one paw on the
pastor's forehead and began to howl.

The pastor looked at his wife in shock and said,
"good grief ! he's pentecostal!"

Dani H
Jul 2nd 2010, 04:36 PM
I'm a Roman Catholic Protestant Pentecostal Charismatic Nondenominationalist who attends a Baptist church and loves every minute of it.

Hope that clears it up. :D

Gentile
Jul 2nd 2010, 04:44 PM
I am roman catholic, please don't hate me!

Firefighter
Jul 2nd 2010, 04:55 PM
No one is going to hate you because you are in the RCC...

The Mighty Sword
Jul 2nd 2010, 05:01 PM
I want to say 'cool' but I am rather freaked out by all of this... :hmm:

Think of me as being:

Multi Denominational.

Gentile
I am roman catholic, please don't hate me!

We don't hate you, we are honored to have you here.

Slug1
Jul 2nd 2010, 05:02 PM
Think of me as being:

Multi Denominational.I'd say that Dani has truly defined that with her post.

The Mighty Sword
Jul 2nd 2010, 05:05 PM
I'd say that Dani has truly defined that with her post.

Dani who???....................

Frecs
Jul 2nd 2010, 05:09 PM
I find reading this thread rather comical. With few exceptions, everyone admits to attending a denominational church. Yet, there is this chorus of "I'm a Christian, not a denomination". Then, why are you attending a denominational church? Could it be because you agree with at least most of the doctrines of that church? I doubt you disagree with the doctrines of the church you attend or you wouldn't attend it. So, where did this shame come from about admitting to belonging to a denomination? Or, do none of you belong--hold membership in--your local church?

The Mighty Sword
Jul 2nd 2010, 05:21 PM
I find reading this thread rather comical. With few exceptions, everyone admits to attending a denominational church. Yet, there is this chorus of "I'm a Christian, not a denomination". Then, why are you attending a denominational church? Could it be because you agree with at least most of the doctrines of that church? I doubt you disagree with the doctrines of the church you attend or you wouldn't attend it. So, where did this shame come from about admitting to belonging to a denomination? Or, do none of you belong--hold membership in--your local church?

Fine, I'm Pentecostal.

Slug1
Jul 2nd 2010, 05:21 PM
Dani who???....................DaniHansen... dat who!

amazzin
Jul 2nd 2010, 05:23 PM

I am a Pentecostal by belief and in core values. But why use such labels that has traditionally divided us? When we allow denominational walls to come down and start fellowshipping with one another because Christ is the center of our worship are we not blessed? Is this not what heaven will be? Where does denominations fit in heaven if we are to have an eternal perspective?

Tiffany Faith
Jul 2nd 2010, 05:30 PM
I'm southern Baptist but I think women should be able to be pastors and the Baptists HATE that. SO I guess I'm just mostly Baptist. What denomination are you frecs? You're one of my favorite people on this site. :)

Frecs
Jul 2nd 2010, 05:31 PM
I am a Pentecostal by belief and in core values. But why use such labels that has traditionally divided us? When we allow denominational walls to come down and start fellowshipping with one another because Christ is the center of our worship are we not blessed? Is this not what heaven will be? Where does denominations fit in heaven if we are to have an eternal perspective?

There should be no "walls" between the body. There are differences of interpretation and to some degree our denominational affiliation is reflective of our interpretation. If someone asks me what denomination I am, they are probably trying to determine in a shortcut method, what doctrinal beliefs I hold. If I answer "I'm a Christian" it's like I'm playing poker and not wanting to show my hand. I've told them little in simply saying "I'm Christian". Once we establish that I'm Pentacostal and they are Baptist, we can have a fellowship of believers where we have a starting point of understanding upon which to build. We can then share and discuss and give grace where we differ.

Slug1
Jul 2nd 2010, 05:34 PM

Amen... we have a ministry in our area called the Healing Rooms. A few pastors have tried to start up this ministry to include my own about 2 years ago. It just never really worked, didn't even get off the ground and I was one of those asked to pray 2 years ago... well, the Lord said straight up that no church, no pastor, no religion, no denomination will be the lead of such a ministry. Last year two people, a husband and wife heard God's call for leadership of this ministry and they accepted. Today, that ministry is made up of about 12 different chruches, all different denoms and many members of these churches and many of the pastors of those churches serve under the leadership God placed for this ministry. The Lord has worked in mighty ways and all the GLORY is His, not a church or the pastor, not any denomination, no religion... only God!

The Mighty Sword
Jul 2nd 2010, 05:40 PM
Amen... we have a ministry in our area called the Healing Rooms. A few pastors have tried to start up this ministry to include my own about 2 years ago. It just never really worked, didn't even get off the ground and I was one of those asked to pray 2 years ago... well, the Lord said straight up that no church, no pastor, no religion, no denomination will be the lead of such a ministry. Last year two people, a husband and wife heard God's call for leadership of this ministry and they accepted. Today, that ministry is made up of about 12 different chruches, all different denoms and many members of these churches and many of the pastors of those churches serve under the leadership God placed for this ministry. The Lord has worked in mighty ways and all the GLORY is His, not a pastor, not a church, not any denomination, no religion... only God!

At the last friday of each month my mom's church gathers with others churches for fellowship all attend except the rcc.

Athanasius
Jul 2nd 2010, 05:45 PM

Because the "philosophical irony" of the situation is that even "non-denominational" churches are ... denominational. That's why a lot of us have answered "I'm a Christian" and "I attend this denomination". Interestingly, I might prefer attending churches with whom I disagree with doctrinally (more than I would compared to a church which holds to a similar doctrine) but which have an intellectual history (i.e Catholicism, Anglicanism). But as it stands, I attend a Pentecostal church, and my wife is the pastor of that church, and I am happy where I am.

notuptome
Jul 2nd 2010, 05:45 PM
This is what Paul was addressing in 1 Cor 1:10-17 Sectarianism divides. We all were just plain old sinners before we came to Christ.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

kay-gee
Jul 2nd 2010, 08:57 PM
find reading this th
Iread rather comical. With few exceptions, everyone admits to attending a denominational church. Yet, there is this chorus of "I'm a Christian, not a denomination". Then, why are you attending a denominational church? Could it be because you agree with at least most of the doctrines of that church? I doubt you disagree with the doctrines of the church you attend or you wouldn't attend it. So, where did this shame come from about admitting to belonging to a denomination? Or, do none of you belong--hold membership in--your local church?

I was thinking the exact same thing. How can one be non-denominational and belong to a denomination?

all the best...

teddyv
Jul 2nd 2010, 11:32 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing. How can one be non-denominational and belong to a denomination?

all the best...

Probably just that the word denomination seem to be almost perjorative these days. But whatever, I am certainly not ashamed of my affiliation.

Firefighter
Jul 3rd 2010, 04:13 AM
I have found that most people could care less what denomination I am from even when they ask me. "What denomination are you?" just sounds better than "Where do you stand on several main issues so I can quickly decide if we have enough common ground to fellowship on?"

;)

ThyWordIsTruth
Jul 3rd 2010, 09:35 AM

It's not that simple. Why do some people draw denominational lines? Because doctrinal truth matters. Because church practice matters. Because how we approach God and worship Him matters. Because the doctrines we teach matters. Because loving the holiness and glory of God more than wanting to be acceptable, well-liked and politically correct (i.e. ecumenical) matters.

The OT Jews were all Judaisers. They were all children of Abraham and all practiced the Jewish faith and were allegedly worshipping God. By the exterior, they have more going in common among them then us who're labelled Christians. Yet Jesus called many of them the children of the devil. In Revelations he goes so far as to call them the synnagogue of Satan. It is these very same Jews who supposedly are worshippers of Jehovah God who stoned all the prophets and killed His Son. I have no doubt at all in my mind that some Christians would stone Paul or Jesus if he came back today and spoke the truth of God's word. Things haven't changed that much honestly.

Paul also instructed Timothy to guard the doctrines entrusted to him carefully. There are whole denominations today (the largest after the RCC church the last I checked) that I believe are apostate to the core, whose founders taught heretical doctrines and is the source of the emergence of all kinds of heretical doctrines, and Scripture does instruct us not to have anything to do with darkness. This is one of the reasons why some people draw denominational lines. Because John also instructed us not to have anything to do with the works of false teachers less by our fellowship with them we participate in their evil deeds.

That's not to say we don't love the people who are in these denominations. We try to show them the truth and love them, but our churches should not work together because of the reasons mentioned.

kay-gee
Jul 4th 2010, 01:15 AM
I've got some questions. What denomination did Paul and Peter and the rest bellong to? Would you say they were Baptists, Pesbyterians, Pentecostals, Catholic?, Episcopalian? Can anyone answer?

all the best...

newinchrist4now
Jul 4th 2010, 01:28 AM
Catholic :)

--------

Butch5
Jul 4th 2010, 11:27 AM

I don't hold to any denomination, I think it is sin.

Frecs
Jul 4th 2010, 11:29 AM
I don't hold to any denomination, I think it is sin.

That doesn't surprise me.

Butch5
Jul 4th 2010, 11:38 AM
That doesn't surprise me.

What, that I don't hold to a denomination or that I think it is sin?

Frecs
Jul 4th 2010, 11:40 AM
What, that I don't hold to a denomination or that I think it is sin?

Both, actually. I'm not at all surprised...............

Slug1
Jul 4th 2010, 02:24 PM
I've got some questions. What denomination did Paul and Peter and the rest bellong to? Would you say they were Baptists, Pesbyterians, Pentecostals, Catholic?, Episcopalian? Can anyone answer?

all the best...Pentecostal because they freely allowed the Holy Spirit to manifest and lead them and they were obedient to the lead of the Holy Spirit.

JohnDB
Jul 4th 2010, 02:53 PM
I'm a $25 1/2 dollar bill....=-)