PDA

View Full Version : Oxyrhynchus Hymn translation

markedward
Jul 14th 2010, 08:26 AM
Asking for some help in ancient Greek here. I thought I'd stick this in Bible Chat since it's the most-frequented by all yous Greek-readers out there.

I've been doing some studying on ancient Christian hymns, and I'm wondering if anyone can help me translate the Oxyrhynchus Hymn into English? The far and few translations I have found seem less than satisfactory... I'm hoping for as literal of a translation as possible, and what I have found so far is conflicting translations, whether by words or ideas completely absent from each other, or by the addition of positives/negatives where others do not have as such.

The Greek text is as follows:

1. Πρυτανήω σιγάτω
2. μηδ' ἄστρα φαεσφόρα
3. λαμπέ/σθων [I can't tell if this is one word or two; varying sources differ on this]
4. ἀπολειόντων ῥιπαὶ πνοιῶν, πηγαὶ
5. ποταμῶν ῥοθίων πᾶσαι
6. Υμνούντων δ' ἡμῶν Πατέρα
7. χ' Υἱὸν χ' Ἅγιον Πνεῦμα
8. πᾶσαι δυνάμεις ἐπιφωνούντων
9. Ἀμήν, Ἀμήν
10. Κράτος, αἶνος ἀεὶ καὶ δόξα Θεοὶ
11. δωτῆρι μόνῳ πάντων ἀγαθῶν
12. Ἀμήν, Ἀμήν

A transliteration (in case the Greek characters don't display) is as follows (Omega will be transliterated as "w" to avoid confusion with Omicron; Eta will be transliterated as "h" to avoid confusion with Epsilon):

1. Prutanew sigatw
2. mhd astra phaesphora
3. lampe/sthwn
4. apoleiontwn ripai pnoiwn, pegai
5. potamwn rothiwn pasai
6. Umnountwn d hmwn Patera
7. ch Uion ch Agion Pneuma
8. pasai dunameis epiphonountwn
9. Amhn, Amhn
10. Kratos, aino aei kai doxa Theoi
11. dwthri movw pantwn agathwn
12. Amhn, Amhn

Here's what I think I've managed to translate correctly so far:

1. Let it be silent
2. Let the stars radiant
3. Shine[?]
4. Let the winds, springs
5. [And] rivers [...] all [of them]
6. As we praise our Father
7. [And] the Son [and] the Holy Spirit
8. Let all [the] powers [...]
9. Amen, Amen
10. Mighty, ever praise and glory to God
11. The giver alone of good things
12. Amen, Amen

Can anyone offer some help, please? Thanks.

Firstfruits
Jul 14th 2010, 02:13 PM
I hope this helps..

. Let it be silent
Let the Luminous stars not shine,
Let the winds (?) and all the noisy rivers die down;
And as we hymn the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit,
Let all the powers add "Amen Amen"
Empire, praise always, and glory to God,
The sole giver of good things, Amen Amen.
(translation from West, M. L. 1992. Ancient Greek Music. Oxford University Press, [page needed]. ISBN 0-19-814975-1)

markedward
Jul 14th 2010, 04:09 PM
That was one of the translations I found online, but I have found at least three, none of which agree with each other. For example, this one says "Let the luminous stars not shine, Let the winds and all the noisy rivers die down", whereas another says "That the stars, bearers of light, And the springs of the impetuous rivers no longer keep silent". The first (the one you provided) has the things of creation becoming dark and still, while the second has them becoming lively and animated... it's the exact opposite.

Firstfruits
Jul 14th 2010, 06:26 PM
That was one of the translations I found online, but I have found at least three, none of which agree with each other. For example, this one says "Let the luminous stars not shine, Let the winds and all the noisy rivers die down", whereas another says "That the stars, bearers of light, And the springs of the impetuous rivers no longer keep silent". The first (the one you provided) has the things of creation becoming dark and still, while the second has them becoming lively and animated... it's the exact opposite.

I suppose it depends on who is translating and what they are using, so short of working your way word for word, it may help to check the sections that are not in accordance.

God bless you!

Firstfruits

markedward
Jul 14th 2010, 09:00 PM
Well, that's why I'm asking for others who are knowledgeable in ancient Greek to lend their help.

Radagast
Jul 15th 2010, 04:15 AM
I hope this helps..

. Let it be silent
Let the Luminous stars not shine,
Let the winds (?) and all the noisy rivers die down;
And as we hymn the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit,
Let all the powers add "Amen Amen"
Empire, praise always, and glory to God,
The sole giver of good things, Amen Amen.
(translation from West, M. L. 1992. Ancient Greek Music. Oxford University Press, [page needed]. ISBN 0-19-814975-1)

That seems a reasonable translation, at first glance, and it's from a reputable book; there may be a reference here to Habakkuk 2:20, as in the ancient hymn "Let all mortal flesh keep silence."

λαμπέσθων is one word -- it's a 3rd person passive imperative of λαμπω (http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2989&t=KJV), equivalent to λαμπέσθωσαν

West's book (http://books.google.com/books?id=So-Qpz6WDS4C&pg=PA325#v=onepage&q&f=false) has music too, btw.