PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Want to share a CD message

Twin2
Jul 17th 2010, 09:41 PM
I have a copy of a ministering message that I would like to share with a friend. This message is uncopyrighted and meant for distribution. It was recorded at our church, a minister friend had been preaching. Anyway, this friend is off in "computer-land" and I desire to share this mesage with him. Is there a way to do this? I know how to put the CD to Windows media player. Other than that, I am pretty well at a loss.

ikester7579
Jul 18th 2010, 10:47 AM
First you need to convert to mp3. You can download a converter for free from this site: http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3_converter_freeware.htm Or if you ask around someone may know of a better program.

Once you convert the file it will be much smaller in size than what it is currently. Now you and your friend need to have yahoo messenger. This is because when you open a window to message him. In the "action" drop down menu, there is an option to send the file to the person on the other end. So you both have to be online at the same time and be on yahoo messenger talking back and forth. You let him know you are sending a file. When you click to send the file he will get a pop up window asking if he wants to recieve the file. He just clicks yes and the file will start to download from your computer to his. You can send him any file through yahoo.

Twin2
Jul 18th 2010, 12:46 PM
Wow, there is a way! Thank you!

bdh
Jul 18th 2010, 05:30 PM
Another one is an app I've used for years that works really great is http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html. It's probably a bit more difficult to drive but can convert pretty much any format to any other format. Used to have a whole bunch of different things ... for AVI, flash, MP3 etc now just use the one thing

ikester7579
Aug 3rd 2010, 09:49 AM
Forgot to tell you. His download of your file is only as fast as your upload speed.

Example: I have 3 megs download and 256k upload. So if I send you a file, it will be slowed downloaded than 256k. Probably around 50k realistically.

tango
Aug 3rd 2010, 10:02 AM
First you need to convert to mp3. You can download a converter for free from this site: http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3_converter_freeware.htm Or if you ask around someone may know of a better program.

Once you convert the file it will be much smaller in size than what it is currently. Now you and your friend need to have yahoo messenger. This is because when you open a window to message him. In the "action" drop down menu, there is an option to send the file to the person on the other end. So you both have to be online at the same time and be on yahoo messenger talking back and forth. You let him know you are sending a file. When you click to send the file he will get a pop up window asking if he wants to recieve the file. He just clicks yes and the file will start to download from your computer to his. You can send him any file through yahoo.

Yahoo messenger isn't the only way to do this - you could use one of many instant messenging applications, you could email it, or if you've got some web space you could put it on your web space and he can download it whenever he is ready.

Instant messenging does mean you both need to be connected at the same time, whereas email and using web space don't. Check before sending a big file by email that he can receive a file that big and that it won't cause issues. I remember a friend who tried to send me a 14MB attachment back in the days of dialup - after trying four times to download it I just had to delete it because it was blocking everything else.