PDA

View Full Version : What does Paul mean by 'the affairs of this life'? (2 Timothy 2:4)

nzyr
Jul 19th 2010, 10:08 AM
Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.(2 Timothy 2:1-4)

nazzer_aij
Jul 19th 2010, 12:30 PM
Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.(2 Timothy 2:1-4)

Hi nzyr,

I think that this pertain to the right attitude of a believer on how to walk a Christian life.

2 Cor.10:2-5 But I beseech you, that I may not be bold when I am present with that confidence,
wherewith I think to be bold against some, which think of us as if we walk according to the flesh.
For though we walk in the flesh, we do no war after the flesh:
v.4) For the weapon of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down
of strong holds.
v.5) Casting down imagination, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

This is a reminder of Paul to Timothy and eventually to us; 1 Tim.1:18 This charge I commit unto
thee son Timothy, according to prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest
war a good warfare.
v.19) Holding faith and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck.

2Tim.2:22-25 Flee also youthful lust: but follow righteousness, faith , charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
v.23) But foolish and unlearned question avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes
v.24) And the servant of the Lord must not strive, but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient.
v.25) In meekness instructing those that opposed themselves: if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth.

Hope I've help.
Yhanks'
nazzer_aij.

moonglow
Jul 19th 2010, 05:01 PM

Timothy 2:1-4:4 No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier

Many times its very easy to get caught up in the daily happenings in our lives and lose focus of our calling in regards to God. For many the get up in the mornings, spend 8-9 hours at work, come home and have to focus on family, getting supper, clearing house or taking care of the yard..kids and homework..being social with friends and so on. Its easy to let life distract us...Paul calls it the affairs of life. Even stay at home mom's are so busy with the kids and running errands, talking on the phone with friends...our days are very busy!

We have to remember that Paul was talking to Timothy also who was a solider for Christ, living in a time when Christians were under heavy persecution and faced prison and even death on a daily basis. They were in a war...but not a typical war like what we think of. I think this commentary helps explain it better then I can.

David Guzik's Commentaries (http://www.studylight.org/com/guz/view.cgi?book=2ti&chapter=002)
3. (3-4) Persevering for God with a soldier's attitude.

You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier.

a. You therefore must: Paul is calling Timothy to a requirement, not a suggestion. There is something Timothy must do, and Paul will tell him to do it.

b. Timothy must take the attitude of soldier, who expects to endure hardship for their cause. No real solider, no good solider, ever gave up just because some hardship came their way.

i. The experience of war is often terrible, especially for the front-line solider - yet many of them look back on those years with a fond affection. Why? Because those were years when they stood firm, and endured hardship; they showed themselves to be men who would persevere, and not give up.

ii. In the same way, if a believer is not willing to endure hardship, they will never accomplish much for Jesus Christ. They will give up as soon as something hard is required of them; they cannot fulfill Jesus' call: If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. (Matthew 16:24)

c. Timothy must take the attitude of a solider, who will willingly detach himself from the things of "civilian" life.

i. A solider has to give up many things; some of them are bad things (pride, independence, self-will), and some of them are good things (his home, his family) - but if he is not willing to endure hardship, he's no solider of Jesus Christ.

ii. The issue doesn't have to be between "good" or "bad." If something gets in the way of serving our commanding officer, and in the way of being a good solider, it must be removed.

iii. This is a good measure of all worldly activities: Does it entangle you? One can do many things during wartime, but a faithful soldier does not have the right to do anything that will entangle them and make them less effective as a soldier.

d. That he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier: If Timothy did not endure hardship, if he did not put away the things that entangled him in the affairs of this life, he was not pleasing to his Commanding Officer.

i. The President of the United States has many functions; he heads the executive branch of the federal government, he signs bills into law, and so forth - but one of his jobs is that he is the Commander In Chief of the armed forces.

ii. Jesus Christ is also the "Command In Chief." In Joshua 5, Jesus appeared to Joshua as Commander of the army of the LORD (Joshua 5:14). He is our Commanding Officer, and we owe total obedience to Him as such!

iii. Remember that Paul was chained to a soldier even as he wrote this! He saw how these soldiers acted, and how they obeyed their commanding officers. Paul knew this is how a Christian must be towards their Lord!

All of us are called to be bewilders though many of us are not living at Paul and Timothy were, being physically hunted down. Paul reminds us in Ephesians we are still in a war..but its spiritual.

Ephesians 6
The Whole Armor of God
10 A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on all of Godís armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 12 For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.

While husbands are called to take care of their wives and children..to support and protect them..and wives to help their husbands and take care of the children, it doesn't mean this should be our only focus.

God bless

Brother Mark
Jul 19th 2010, 05:13 PM

It reminded me of what Jesus said in Mark 4 concerning the soil...

Mark 4:18-19
18 "And others are the ones on whom seed was sown among the thorns; these are the ones who have heard the word, 19 but the worries of the world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things enter in and choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.
NASU

The idea is that we get too consumed with such things and it becomes our main focus. When in reality, out main focus should be the kingdom first. It's not that the things of this world don't matter because they do. We just need to keep them in the proper perspective.

Matt 6:32-33
32 "For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
NASU

Scruffy Kid
Jul 19th 2010, 06:17 PM
What does Paul mean by 'the affairs of this life'? (2 Timothy 2:4)
It can be helpful to be clear about the word that Paul uses, in its original language. (The word "affairs" in English has taken on various connotations since the Bible's 16th and 17th century English translations introduced that English word into the tradition of translation)

The sentence in question reads:

οὐδεὶς ..... στρατευόμενος .... ἐμπλέκεται ......... ταῖς ....... τοῦ ... βίου
oudeis .... strateuomenos .... empleketai ......... tais ....... tou .... biou
no man ...... warring ........ gets-entangled .. with-the .. of-this .. life

.. πραγματείαις ...... ἵνα ....... τῷ ........ στρατολογήσαντι ........... ἀρέσῃ
.. pragmateiais .... hina ....... toi ......... stratologesanti ............. arese
practical-details .. so-that .. the .. one-who-enlisted-him .. he-may-please and the word translated "affairs", πραγματεία, Strong's G4230, pragmateia, means "business matters" or "practical details.

That word, which is used only here in the NT, means, according to Strong, " prosecution of any affair" of business, or "business, occupation"; the word derives from the verb G3431, πραγματεύομαι, pragmateuomai, meaning (1) "to be occupied in anything" or (2) "to carry on a business" or (3) "to carry on the business of a banker or a trader", which in turn derives from G4229, πρᾶγμα, pragma, meaning "that which has been done, a deed, an accomplished fact" or "what is done or being accomplished" or "specific business, a commercial transaction" or generally "a matter, question, affair" ("specifially in a forensic sense, a matter at law, case, suit", or "that which is or exists, a thing." This less uncommon word gets translated, in the KJV, "thing" (6 times), "matter" (3 times), "business" (once) and "work" (once). It in turn derives from G4238, πράσσω, prassō, meaning things like "do", "commit", and so on.

I'm no scholar: I get all this from blb (blue letter bible), online, which gives such details.

Thus (it seems to me) the sense of the passage is that a soldier on duty does not get entangled in business matters, pracitical affairs of business, which might take him away from, or distract him from, constant and strict attention to his duty, his military assignment. Paul, in comparing Timothy's role as a minister (servant, and here soldier) of the gospel is suggesting that a similar strict priority on the things of God should keep Timothy from getting caught up in miscellaneous matters which might distract him from, or take his focus and attention away from, the thing which is surpassingly important, namely the work of the Gospel.

The comments Brother Mark helpfully makes suggest important parallel passages, which (IMO) are illustrating very similar points.
I am also very much in accord with the thoughtful points made by nazzer_aij and moonglow.

My aim in life is that all I do should be at the service of Christ and His Kingdom: nothing else matters.

I'm not very good at doing that, but it is what I should aim for, that God should be glorified, His Kingdom come, His will be done, and that human beings, and the creation generally, be rescued from its brokenness and brought to God!

BroRog
Jul 19th 2010, 06:37 PM

Paul is drawing an analogy between his role as a minister of the gospel and what a soldier does. If we think about what happens when a soldier goes to war, he usually leaves his family behind. He set his affairs in order also; that is, he makes sure that his family will get his pay, that his insurance premiums are paid up to date, that he has no debts, etc. He is going to war, leaving everything he knows behind him. All the activities of a normal life are being left behind. He won't be able to take his wife out for dinner; he won't be able to play with his kids; he won't be able to make a living at his trade. While at war his living conditions will be harsh, and hard, and he will never be comfortable. It will be like camping, while avoiding being killed. Everything that we associate with "everyday" living will be left behind, and his new life will be difficult.

In addition to this, the soldier is no longer making his own decisions. Each decision he makes, while at war, is to serve his commanders and his fellow soldiers. He no longer pleases himself; he must please his commanders and his generals.

John146
Jul 19th 2010, 08:51 PM
It reminded me of what Jesus said in Mark 4 concerning the soil...

Mark 4:18-19
18 "And others are the ones on whom seed was sown among the thorns; these are the ones who have heard the word, 19 but the worries of the world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things enter in and choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.
NASU

The idea is that we get too consumed with such things and it becomes our main focus. When in reality, out main focus should be the kingdom first. It's not that the things of this world don't matter because they do. We just need to keep them in the proper perspective.

Matt 6:32-33
32 "For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
NASUI agree. So, the affairs of this life that a Christian should no longer be entangled in would include "the worries of the world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things". Those things used to be our focus but now our focus is Christ and His kingdom. We don't need to be caught up in those other things because we can trust that God will take care of our needs. Our focus should instead be on following Christ and doing what God wants us to do.

BroRog
Jul 19th 2010, 10:06 PM
I agree. So, the affairs of this life that a Christian should no longer be entangled in would include "the worries of the world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things". Those things used to be our focus but now our focus is Christ and His kingdom. We don't need to be caught up in those other things because we can trust that God will take care of our needs. Our focus should instead be on following Christ and doing what God wants us to do.While I think what you said is correct, it isn't Paul's point in 2Timothy though. He is talking to Timothy directly and his analogy of the soldier applies to Timothy, and by extrapolation to all those who have taken on the same role Timothy had. Not all of us have been called to dedicate our lives to the ministry.

John146
Jul 20th 2010, 03:10 PM
While I think what you said is correct, it isn't Paul's point in 2Timothy though. He is talking to Timothy directly and his analogy of the soldier applies to Timothy, and by extrapolation to all those who have taken on the same role Timothy had. Not all of us have been called to dedicate our lives to the ministry.That's true. In that passage he specifically is speaking to Timothy as one who would be teaching others and not everyone is called to do that. So, I do agree with you there.

nzyr
Jul 22nd 2010, 01:19 AM
Good responses! I was wondering if the affairs of this world may mean politics? Should Christians avoid politics? Running for office, etc.?