PDA

View Full Version : Suggest me a Bible?

TexUs
Jul 26th 2010, 08:27 PM
I really would like a new more in-depth study Bible.

Right now, I've been using the internet (which is immensely helpful but not as easy as something written down in front of me all in one book).

I want to know things like John 3:16, the word "kosmos"... I want a Bible that tells me the meaning of that word (IE, that "world" isn't really the best representation of it, it's just the best English word for it). Maybe perhaps that's too in-debt for just a Hebrew-Greek reference Bible, I don't know.

The NIV still reads the easiest, and when you're reaching people TODAY, that's still going to be the Bible I actually carry. So this will just be my study Bible. The ESV is much more literal, so... I kindof am liking that route.

I REALLY was hoping there'd be an ESV Hebrew-Greek reference Bible, but I am not finding any. Is the ESV too new for this?
Would an ESV study bible provide me the same insight as a Hebrew-Greek reference Bible? Or are they really just two different animals?

Any help would be awesome!

Reynolds357
Jul 26th 2010, 08:34 PM
I really would like a new more in-depth study Bible.

Right now, I've been using the internet (which is immensely helpful but not as easy as something written down in front of me all in one book).

I want to know things like John 3:16, the word "kosmos"... I want a Bible that tells me the meaning of that word (IE, that "world" isn't really the best representation of it, it's just the best English word for it). Maybe perhaps that's too in-debt for just a Hebrew-Greek reference Bible, I don't know.

The NIV still reads the easiest, and when you're reaching people TODAY, that's still going to be the Bible I actually carry. So this will just be my study Bible. The ESV is much more literal, so... I kindof am liking that route.

I REALLY was hoping there'd be an ESV Hebrew-Greek reference Bible, but I am not finding any. Is the ESV too new for this?
Would an ESV study bible provide me the same insight as a Hebrew-Greek reference Bible? Or are they really just two different animals?

Any help would be awesome!
I kind of like the Nelson Study Bible. KJV or NKJV available.

Pilgrimtozion
Jul 26th 2010, 08:40 PM
What about the NASB Keyword Study Bible?

Vhayes
Jul 26th 2010, 08:59 PM
I have a battered NASB that I use as my "go to" bible. My first pastor/teacher read Greek like I read English and he told me it was the closest to the original Greek that he had found (this was in 1971). He also said the sentence structure is a bit awkward at times, but that it maintained the sentence structure of the Greek while still keeping it readable.

I hope this helps you a bit.
V

Jollyrogers
Jul 26th 2010, 09:15 PM
Have you tried downloading E-sword and installing all the free bibles?. It has the esv, KJV, and others but it also has the Strongs greek Definitions where you can look up a word in question and see what it was in the greek and it definition along with examining how it is used in other verses thruout the bible and how the translators treated it in different passages (very helpful for deep study)

http://www.e-sword.net/step.html

The Mighty Sword
Jul 26th 2010, 09:19 PM
Suggest you a Bible?

The Holy Bible.

You might have to read a couple of different translations to get e better understanding of which Bible works best for you

TexUs
Jul 26th 2010, 09:22 PM
I have a battered NASB that I use as my "go to" bible. My first pastor/teacher read Greek like I read English and he told me it was the closest to the original Greek that he had found (this was in 1971). He also said the sentence structure is a bit awkward at times, but that it maintained the sentence structure of the Greek while still keeping it readable.

I hope this helps you a bit.
V
It does...
Thanks for the heads up. I've always shied away from the NASB, I guess mainly due to perception (like I said, I'm looking for a STUDY Bible that only I'll use, not a ministry Bible (which will remain the easy-to-understand NIV for the masses.))

Part of me would like to stay in the NIV as that's what most people use...
Part of me would like the ESV as it seems to be an awesome balance (just appears there's no Hebrew-Greek keywords out yet).
NASB seems it may get the nod for the literal... Ease of reading isn't a huge issue as, again, this is for study.

Have you tried downloading E-sword and installing all the free bibles?. It has the esv, KJV, and others but it also has the Strongs greek Definitions where you can look up a word in question and see what it was in the greek and it definition along with examining how it is used in other verses thruout the bible and how the translators treated it in different passages (very helpful for deep study)

http://www.e-sword.net/step.html
Nope, haven't gone that route.

I'm really looking for a paper Bible though... Thanks for the heads up on that as well though, I'll definitely get that. Still need to get a physical one I can just sit down with (I look at a screen enough as-is ;))

TexUs
Jul 26th 2010, 09:24 PM
Suggest you a Bible?

The Holy Bible.

You might have to read a couple of different translations to get e better understanding of which Bible works best for you

I guess I'll clarify, not really debating between translations at this point... Just the features of each reference Bible.
Great Hebrew-Greek keyword, background of the text, cross references, etc... I think I'd prefer the ESV, but like I said, I don't think it's got all those features that say, the NIV and NASB have yet.

Firefighter
Jul 26th 2010, 10:02 PM
The Jerusalem Bible w/ Study Notes. This is not to be confused with the updated version called the NEW Jerusalem Bible. GREAT Bible for the most part.

John 3:16-19 - Yes, God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son, So that everyone who believes in Him may not be lost but may have eternal life. For God sent his Son into the world not to condemn the world, but that through him the world might be saved. No one who believes in Him will be condemned; but whoever refuses to believe is condemned already, because he has refused to believe in the name of God's only Son. On these grounds is sentence pronounced: that though the light has come into the world men have shown they prefer darkness to the light because their deeds were evil.

The Mighty Sword
Jul 26th 2010, 10:16 PM
I guess I'll clarify, not really debating between translations at this point... Just the features of each reference Bible.
Great Hebrew-Greek keyword, background of the text, cross references, etc... I think I'd prefer the ESV, but like I said, I don't think it's got all those features that say, the NIV and NASB have yet.

You can always try the Urban Missionary Bible as use by the Urban Missionites, packed full of information and fun reading as well and the text is easy third grade reading level took me a while to play catch up but with my teachers help (UM) I can understand it and everything so get your copy today.

Just funnin.

Firefighter
Jul 26th 2010, 10:19 PM
It was written at a third grade level because that is my last grade completed... :D

I can't wait until Mighty Sword realizes I just recommended a Roman Catholic Bible... :lol:

The Mighty Sword
Jul 26th 2010, 10:24 PM
It was written at a third grade level because that is my last grade completed... :D

I can't wait until Mighty Sword realizes I just recommended a Roman Catholic Bible... :lol:

rcc has a bible??? but I don't read latinus.

Firefighter
Jul 26th 2010, 10:28 PM
Actually, this Bible was specifically commissioned to NOT be translated from Jerome's Latin Vulgate, but from the Hebrew and Greek Texts. They really did do a good job. It was a radical departure for them.

-SEEKING-
Jul 26th 2010, 11:00 PM
What about the NASB Keyword Study Bible?

Are you referring to the Hebrew Greek Key Study Bible. I have that one as well. But I have it in..................in.......................uh... ..............

KJV!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

(Makes a mad dash out of the door)