PDA

View Full Version : Love.....

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 11th 2010, 02:38 PM
Love.

A simple yet complex word. A word that can attribute to have a variable or static meaning in English.

Love. To love, to give love. To be loved, to be a recipient of another’s love. To have love. To lack love. To seek love, in to give or to receive. To desire to love, again to either give or receive. The object of love. The subject of love

Jesus asks Peter, do you love me? And He asks using various strengths of love, agapao, then phileo. Again to Peter with intimate commitment, Jesus asks... do you agapao Me? And even comparative to fishing, even more that these?

So what is love,? Really, where does it come from? How does one love? Is it something that comes easy? Something that is hard to do?

Love is translate into English over 310 times within the bible, yet how deep is love understood but those Love is given.

I submit for consideration a thread about Love… This Thread. A thread that should not hold a divisional doctrinal position. A thread that reaches to love one another as Christ has loved us. A thread that builds up the body based on Christ’s first love of us.

And I also submit, a thread that will die an early death, sadly, for folks will openly read this, and walk past it, for what fun is there not to argue about some other doctrinal position that is more controversial? But I’d “love” to be shown wrong, that folks will search scriptures about love, offer comment in love to the thread - in a point to love each other and it be a game changer within some hearts to learn to love more, even when it may be hard to do. “Simon, son of John, do you Love Me? ……

For and to the glory of Christ....

Firstfruits
Aug 11th 2010, 03:07 PM
Love.

A simple yet complex word. A word that can attribute to have a variable or static meaning in English.

Love. To love, to give love. To be loved, to be a recipient of another’s love. To have love. To lack love. To seek love, in to give or to receive. To desire to love, again to either give or receive. The object of love. The subject of love

Jesus asks Peter, do you love me? And He asks using various strengths of love, agapao, then phileo. Again to Peter with intimate commitment, Jesus asks... do you agapao Me? And even comparative to fishing, even more that these?

So what is love,? Really, where does it come from? How does one love? Is it something that comes easy? Something that is hard to do?

Love is translate into English over 310 times within the bible, yet how deep is love understood but those Love is given.

I submit for consideration a thread about Love… This Thread. A thread that should not hold a divisional doctrinal position. A thread that reaches to love one another as Christ has loved us. A thread that builds up the body based on Christ’s first love of us.

And I also submit, a thread that will die an early death, sadly, for folks will openly read this, and walk past it, for what fun is there not to argue about some other doctrinal position that is more controversial? But I’d “love” to be shown wrong, that folks will search scriptures about love, offer comment in love to the thread - in a point to love each other and it be a game changer within some hearts to learn to love more, even when it may be hard to do. “Simon, son of John, do you Love Me? ……

When we love according to the will of God we will cause no harm/hurt to our neighbour.

Firstfruits

TexUs
Aug 11th 2010, 05:57 PM
1 Corinthians 13 is mandatory, no?

1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

HisLeast
Aug 11th 2010, 06:50 PM
I wish English was akin to Greek with the different distinctions of love. It seems to me that when I see "love" written in scriptures it is like a painting with a single shade of color missing.

If you don't mind, I'll cut and paste something I posted on this very same topic a few days ago....

When I was 12, "love" was that unexplainably intense feeling I got when I looked at the pretty girl in my class and imagined her and I together. Love was about the feelings that I felt, and if I had to be honest, pretty much exclusively that. I couldn't understand why my parents shook their heads and facepalmed when I used the word love in that context.

Fast forward a decade or so and a few years of marriage and now I understand why my parents rolled their eyes at me. Love has very little to do with my feelings at all. Love is the source of compulsion to place someone else's needs & wants above your own, combined with the actions themselves that meet those needs. A couple of illustrations....
- 5-6pm is the lowest point in my day. Its all I can do to remember my address and defy gravity. But because my wife has stuff going on then that she can't avoid either, I do all the supper prep during that hour. I'd MUCH rather be on the couch, or sitting in the back with a beer.

Love is a perpetual denial of self for another's benefit. Denial of priveledge, denial of instinct, denial of comfort, and denial of pride. I believe real love is demonstrated in the most real life, pragmatic, applicable, brass-tacks, and rubber meets the road ways. If you can't think of ways you have (or actually would/will) sacrificed for someone, then you do not love them.

TexUs
Aug 11th 2010, 07:16 PM
I wish English was akin to Greek with the different distinctions of love. It seems to me that when I see "love" written in scriptures it is like a painting with a single shade of color missing.
QFT on all that...
English language is a really inflexible language, at least compared to Greek.

If you sit down and study that chapter, (including researching the Greek), you'll find love is much more than "I like being around this person".

I'd MUCH rather be on the couch, or sitting in the back with a beer.
LOL, you better not tell any of the Baptist churches down south that. :)

HisLeast
Aug 11th 2010, 07:51 PM
LOL, you better not tell any of the Baptist churches down south that. :)

Well, if I listened to what churches had to say, I doubt I'd even be alive right now. So those who think I'm sinning by having a cold one now and then in the privacy of my own back yard can stick and egg in their shoe and beat it. Barring that they can use quality exegesis to show me blanket prohibition for alcohol consumption.

EDIT: After going on that tangent I felt bad for derailing the thread, so to compensate allow me a question....

Does "love" mean racing to the most restrictive lifestyle possible so as not to offend brethren?

RabbiKnife
Aug 11th 2010, 07:57 PM
No.

The "weaker brother" strawman is one of the most over-used and abused Guy Fawkes in all of Scripture. Many try to use "love" to manipulate.

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 11th 2010, 08:17 PM
No.

The "weaker brother" strawman is one of the most over-used and abused Guy Fawkes in all of Scripture. Many try to use "love" to manipulate.

How so ?

RabbiKnife
Aug 11th 2010, 08:20 PM
Because the people that most often try to use "love" to extort other believers into limiting their freedom are not "weaker" brothers at all; they are not in danger of losing their faith; they are simply trying to force other believers to accept their limited view of Christian liberty by demanding adherence to some set of rules of behavior.

I can only "offend" a brother with whom I have relationship and fellowship; I cannot, by definition, offend a hypothetical brother that might hypothetically see me drinking a cold brew at some hypothetical event.

The context of the "weaker brother" passage is clear that these people were people that had relationship with one another.

TexUs
Aug 11th 2010, 08:53 PM
IE, "You're making me stumble you should not drink because that is not loving of me."

Naturally, take out "drink" and put anything else in its place.

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 11th 2010, 09:03 PM
OK, RK and Tex -- with more info I see your line of thinking.... But what if that brother is the one with the alcohol problem and he asks you not to drink... would that be different?

I guess what I am trying to position is how love has many forms and is given and received in many ways... and if one did 'manipulate' the actions of another claiming love, and that one submitted to the manipulation, wouldn't that still be love given, even though the requester of an action used that to his own advantage....

For did not the Jews manipulate Jesus in demanding His life for which Jesus freely gave when by all rights, he didn't have to? Just asking for clarification to the lines of what love is and is not?

ProjectPeter
Aug 13th 2010, 05:02 AM
OK, RK and Tex -- with more info I see your line of thinking.... But what if that brother is the one with the alcohol problem and he asks you not to drink... would that be different?

I guess what I am trying to position is how love has many forms and is given and received in many ways... and if one did 'manipulate' the actions of another claiming love, and that one submitted to the manipulation, wouldn't that still be love given, even though the requester of an action used that to his own advantage....

For did not the Jews manipulate Jesus in demanding His life for which Jesus freely gave when by all rights, he didn't have to? Just asking for clarification to the lines of what love is and is not?

I don't suspect that love would have a "pound sand" attitude when it comes to something that might cause strife among brethren. Personally... I totally agree that there is no sin in having a beer or a glass of wine... even a shot of bourbon if that's what you enjoy. Yes, in the US folks don't do the moderation thing well and that's a problem no doubt. Nevertheless there is still no sin in the having the drink.

But... the big proverbial but... it does cause a lot of strife among believers. If you want to have your beer in the privacy of your own home then privately have your beer. In that process... keep your mouth shut about it and don't flaunt the fact that you have a beer (not accusing you of that HL... just making a point for all) thus offending those that think it a sin. It doesn't matter who's the "weaker"... what matters is that someone gets offended and you may well cause them to sin in their offense. That shows love in that you go out of your way, doing all that you can do, to bring about peace with the brother and you do well.

RabbiKnife
Aug 13th 2010, 03:06 PM
IF I have a relationship with someone who has a problem with alcohol, then no, I would never drink around them, but I would be certain in my ongoing relationship with them that the issue was discussed, including the issue of Christian liberty.

I think we err with our misunderstanding of the word "offense." Offense in the US these days means "you hurt my feelings" or "you didn't do what I wanted you to do." This is not offense. This is manipulation. "Offense" as used in the weaker brother scenario is an action that causes one to doubt the validity of the Christian message.

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 13th 2010, 03:31 PM
IF I have a relationship with someone who has a problem with alcohol, then no, I would never drink around them, but I would be certain in my ongoing relationship with them that the issue was discussed, including the issue of Christian liberty.

I think we err with our misunderstanding of the word "offense." Offense in the US these days means "you hurt my feelings" or "you didn't do what I wanted you to do." This is not offense. This is manipulation. "Offense" as used in the weaker brother scenario is an action that causes one to doubt the validity of the Christian message.

So I understand your heart on this subject, love stops if one is being manipulated?

RabbiKnife
Aug 13th 2010, 03:41 PM
So I understand your heart on this subject, love stops if one is being manipulated?

Love has nothing to do with being manipulated. If you love someone, you refuse to let them engage in manipulation.

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 13th 2010, 03:57 PM
Love has nothing to do with being manipulated. If you love someone, you refuse to let them engage in manipulation.

So then you still love someone who even get's away with manipulating you? My point of focus is not in the manipulation, where one tries or is successful, my point is do we love based on an received action by another or a giving action by us.

Say you were manipulated by your wife to stop doing something you find OK to do or to do something you didn't want to do... would your love for here stop because your were manipulated, stop to reverse the manipulation, or love in spite of being manipulated? Stated another way, is love conditional?

RabbiKnife
Aug 13th 2010, 03:59 PM
Love is unconditional, of course.

But love also would not permit the manipulator to continue in the effort to manipulate.

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 13th 2010, 04:07 PM
Love is unconditional, of course.

But love also would not permit the manipulator to continue in the effort to manipulate.

Did not the Jews manipulate the facts before Rome before Jesus, Paul and Stephen?

RabbiKnife
Aug 13th 2010, 04:13 PM
That's comparing apples to Studebakers.

The issue of manipulation in the context of the weaker brother is what I'm talking about.

I expect sinners to lie, cheat, steal, defraud, and otherwise twist things for their benefit.

Neither Jesus, Paul, nor Stephen acquiesced to their version of the facts....they stood on the truth and accepted the consequence of living in a fallen, dying world that sometime results in bad things happening to good people. They were not "manipulated".

ProjectPeter
Aug 13th 2010, 04:33 PM

That is how I mean by offense. Certainly not hurt someones feelings. I hurt feelings most every day even though that isn't what I set out to do. In todays day and age... hurting a feeling is about as certain as getting the bottom of your shoes dirty when you walk outside.

Causing someone to stumble.... that is offense spoken of in Scripture in regard to eating, drinking, etc.

RabbiKnife
Aug 13th 2010, 04:41 PM
Yes. And "cause to stumble" is far, far more than causing a believer to question a cultural expectation.

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 13th 2010, 04:58 PM
That's comparing apples to Studebakers.

The issue of manipulation in the context of the weaker brother is what I'm talking about.

I expect sinners to lie, cheat, steal, defraud, and otherwise twist things for their benefit.

Neither Jesus, Paul, nor Stephen acquiesced to their version of the facts....they stood on the truth and accepted the consequence of living in a fallen, dying world that sometime results in bad things happening to good people. They were not "manipulated".

I appreciate to what you are talking about, but it's not what I was talking about... are you trying to manipulate this thread to be what you want to discuss instead of me? :P:)

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 13th 2010, 05:01 PM
That is how I mean by offense. Certainly not hurt someones feelings. I hurt feelings most every day even though that isn't what I set out to do. In todays day and age... hurting a feeling is about as certain as getting the bottom of your shoes dirty when you walk outside.

Causing someone to stumble.... that is offense spoken of in Scripture in regard to eating, drinking, etc.

Is your love conditional then? Not focusing on Romans 14 at the onset, but looking to define and applications of love... Do you love me, was Jesus question to Peter... and it's from there the post begins.

RabbiKnife
Aug 13th 2010, 05:01 PM
I appreciate to what you are talking about, but it's not what I was talking about... are you trying to manipulate this thread to be what you want to discuss instead of me? :P:)

Yes, you wanting to do what you want to do is causing me to stumble.....

:)

Now what was it that you wanted to talk about?

RabbiKnife
Aug 13th 2010, 05:02 PM
Love is never conditional, although love often demands that the object of the love address their behaviors.

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 13th 2010, 05:14 PM
Love is never conditional, although love often demands that the object of the love address their behaviors.

So..... OK.... Let's look at this then.... If you are loving me for example, what behavoir would need to be corrected?

RabbiKnife
Aug 13th 2010, 05:19 PM
That may be a bit too abstract, but for instance....

If I was loving you... and that infers a relationship other than "he's my brother in the Lord so I HAVE to love him"... then part of that relationship would be in challenging beliefs, actions, ideas that did not appear to enable you to grow and mature as a believer.

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 13th 2010, 05:26 PM
That may be a bit too abstract, but for instance....

If I was loving you... and that infers a relationship other than "he's my brother in the Lord so I HAVE to love him"... then part of that relationship would be in challenging beliefs, actions, ideas that did not appear to enable you to grow and mature as a believer.

This then sounds conditional... If this, or that, or then. Is that what I'm reading? So RK loves RbG.... because in the Lord I Have to. Or because we both post in Bible Forums, or because we are ..... What about pure love from you without condition or discernment?

RabbiKnife
Aug 13th 2010, 05:30 PM
This then sounds conditional... If this, or that, or then. Is that what I'm reading? So RK loves RbG.... becuase in the Lord I Have to. Or becuase we both post in Bible Forums, or because we are ..... What about pure love from you without condition or discernment?

Love is not a noun. Love is an action. Love is a act of my will to seek the best for you, even if that causes you pain.

I cannot love someone that I do not have a relationship with, but those that I do have relationship with, I am commanded to exercise my will to seek the best for them.

There is no such thing as "pure love" without condition, it you equate "relationship" with "condition."

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 13th 2010, 06:01 PM
Love is not a noun. Love is an action. Love is a act of my will to seek the best for you, even if that causes you pain.

I cannot love someone that I do not have a relationship with, but those that I do have relationship with, I am commanded to exercise my will to seek the best for them.

There is no such thing as "pure love" without condition, it you equate "relationship" with "condition."

So then, a couple points...

Your love for me -- can cause just me pain based on your love given but never causes pain for you? Not asking about my love towards you but your love towards me... the pain you mention in example is from you to me, never you to you? So you would never let your love for me cause you pain? Just that your love for me would cause me pain, in seeking the best for me?

And then to your statement that love is dependent upon a relationship.... So the Good Samaritan knew the guy left on the road for dead - this Samaritan had a relationship with this man, that's why he stopped and gave of himself, his time, his care, and his monies to see him well?

RabbiKnife
Aug 13th 2010, 06:06 PM
1. Love is always sacrificial, so it always causes pain, to some greater or lesser extent.

2. The Good Samaritan did not have any relationship with the man on the side of the road until he came across him and perceived a need. At that point, he had a relationship to which he responded in love.

I don't love "everyone." I don't know "everyone". I can only love those with whom I have relationship, including those that I come across in the course of my day in which I perceive a need that the Holy Spirit has gifted me to meet.

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 13th 2010, 06:15 PM
1. Love is always sacrificial, so it always causes pain, to some greater or lesser extent.

2. The Good Samaritan did not have any relationship with the man on the side of the road until he came across him and perceived a need. At that point, he had a relationship to which he responded in love.

I don't love "everyone." I don't know "everyone". I can only love those with whom I have relationship, including those that I come across in the course of my day in which I perceive a need that the Holy Spirit has gifted me to meet.

Hmmm so then would it be fair to conclude that your love discriminates?

RabbiKnife
Aug 13th 2010, 06:16 PM
Hmmm so then would it be fair to conclude that your love discriminates?

No, love does not discriminate. No, let me clarify that. Yes, sometimes does discriminate, as that simply means that love sometimes makes choices. Those choices are not arbitrary or capricious, but there is nothing inherently wrong and many things actually good about discrimination.

You are defining love in a way that is a nullity, an impossibility. Love is only existent in relationship, never in abstract.

Firefighter
Aug 13th 2010, 06:21 PM
Rabbi loves me. Rabbi also occasionally has to tell me to pull up my big boy undies, suck it up, and live out my calling. I don't always like it, but I need it, and I know that he does it out of love...

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 13th 2010, 06:27 PM
Rabbi loves me. Rabbi also occasionally has to tell me to pull up my big boy undies, suck it up, and live out my calling. I don't always like it, but I need it, and I know that he does it out of love...

Would Rabbi die for you if a situation occurred whether by bullet, by plane, by fire, by whatever.... My point is not that love is experienced by the other party, love is experienced by self...

So I too would tell you to hit the hamper, but that isn't love that's common sense and cleanliness... :lol:

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 13th 2010, 06:31 PM
No, love does not discriminate. No, let me clarify that. Yes, sometimes does discriminate, as that simply means that love sometimes makes choices. Those choices are not arbitrary or capricious, but there is nothing inherently wrong and many things actually good about discrimination.

You are defining love in a way that is a nullity, an impossibility. Love is only existent in relationship, never in abstract.

Remember what your have stated here... for at some point I may call this back for another topic.

Love makes choices, [they] are not arbitrary or capricious, but there is nothing inherently wrong and many things actually good about discrimination.

RabbiKnife
Aug 13th 2010, 06:35 PM
Love always requires someone to express and someone to receive the benefit.

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 13th 2010, 06:41 PM
Love always requires someone to express and someone to receive the benefit.

Yep, that's pretty basic. Oh one last point for now, what about enemies?

RabbiKnife
Aug 13th 2010, 06:46 PM
Yep, that's pretty basic. Oh one last point for now, what about enemies?

Would you like to be one? :)

What about them? The command to "love your enemies?"

I have a relationship with all of my enemies, and thankfully right now, the list is small. I must love them and ask God to do what is in their best interest at all times.

Firefighter
Aug 13th 2010, 07:52 PM
Would Rabbi die for you if a situation occurred whether by bullet, by plane, by fire, by whatever....

I have no doubts... just as I would lay my life down for him. I put myself in the situation that may require it almost daily for total strangers, I know I would do it for Rabbi..

1United
Aug 13th 2010, 11:11 PM
Love.

Love is much more than a fickle emotion, just as it is more than mere action or words. It is the very essence of God. It is not soft or weak, nor is it always gentle to the heart. Love can convict us deeply of our wrongs; in it is God’s power and truth. Love is Gods divine essence that when utilized, can remove the many strongholds that bind us in spirit. Jealousy, anger, bitterness, greed, selfishness, pride, hate, fear, lust, envy, the intolerance of others, and every other spiritual vice can be conquered through love. True love is not proud, jealous, envious, haughty, or boastful, nor does it seek its own, but rather the good of others. It is the source of all virtue, just as lust is the source all of vice. It is life and light to those who keep it close to heart. Love is not dependent upon condition; it realizes that none are perfect; it leads us toward unity with God, his grace, as well as his mercy. It is purity in essence releasing us from the darkness of heart, soul, and mind. Love lends to us comfort, peace, and immeasurable power. It is truly mankind’s only real freedom.

It is the strait gate, and the narrow path that so many of us fail to enter and follow. To walk in love is to walk as Christ did, and doing so enables us to fulfill God’s will for mankind. Love is grace, purity, truth, and light. It is given freely to all willing to receive, and if nurtured as a seed, it will produce its substance both in self and in others. Consider the time, effort, and patience it takes to grow a garden. Love is the same way; if it is neglected, even the love a person does have will slowly wither away. But, if it is nurtured it will grow, and in time it will help us live in the fullness of God‘s grace. Understanding love unlocks the door, faith in love releases its power, and the hope that we can be free from darkness through it, keeps the spiritual man forever in God’s grace.

We naturally feed on thoughts of anger, fear, bitterness, resentment, deceit, the lust for of riches and the deceitful pleasures of this life, being tossed to and fro by every whim of the mind. These are the ways that seem right or “natural” to a man, but these ways ultimately lead to spiritual emptiness. We often times push love so far out of sight that we have little to no chance of ever knowing, or realizing its true power. Somehow many of us come to the point where we love darkness more than the light, and we suffer for it. The natural consequence of resisting love is enough to bring the strongest man to his knees. Many of us tend to overlook love, we neglect it, we discard and regard it as weak. But it is a seed of great power.

We must realize that all people are the same and that all fall short of perfection. Love is our spiritual compass; when utilized it guides us, convicts us, directing and redirecting our steps. God has given this gift, this spirit, this seed of mercy to help us become children of light. All are able to receive love; all are able to grow in love, and all are able to accomplish what God wants for us. Even though we all make mistakes and fall short of perfection, we have an opportunity to embrace God’s gift, becoming obedient children of the most high God. If we fail to heed such guidance we will remain in darkness unaware, and blind to the harm it causes both to self and to those around us

Most of us have experienced only remnants of love. Meaning we have only known love in measure, whether it came from family or from friends. Very few of us however, know and understand the power of God’s Love, and what His grace can do for His people. Think for one moment what life would be like without even the remnant of love we do know. I can only imagine the horror, and emptiness, and hopelessness such a life would entail. Love is mankind’s comfort, it is our safety, our peace, and our life force. Without it, this world would be a very dark, lonely, and empty place to dwell. It would be as if we were in a grave, rotting and decaying without hope of ever sustaining life at all. The term “hell “ might be appropriate to describe such an existence, or state of mind reflecting the darkness of the grave, where we are no longer capable to realize the Love of our God. The truth is that even with the remnant of love we do know, many are still in a metaphorical grave, unaware of the blessings which stem from embracing this amazing Spirit with all our being.

There are some, who have experienced so little love in their lives, that they do not recognize what it is at all. This is a sad truth that we cannot close our eyes to. Without love mankind is lost; we cannot be free from our metaphorical “graves” until we allow love to mature within us. Love must be cultivated as if it were a seed, with patience, sincerity, and faith. When we do this, and keep our hearts focused on it, we grow stronger in God’s grace. This in turn creates a great sense of freedom, joy, and peace within ourselves. We must learn to cultivate love, and also plant it in others, bringing its increase in the world we live in.

Love lends to us comfort, and peace; it also grants to us great power over our natural selves. It allows us to grow past our destructive natures, and it helps us develop a newness of mind. The more we allow love to grow within, the more we become free from our lustful ways. To walk in love is to walk as Christ did, and doing so enables us to fulfill God’s will for mankind. It is grace, truth, and a light for all mankind to receive. Love is a tree of life, that if nurtured as a seed, will produce its fruit both in self and in those we encounter. We do this by sharing and extending this wellspring of life towards others.

Firefighter
Aug 13th 2010, 11:23 PM
Wow, what a fantastic first post!!!! Welcome to the board.

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 14th 2010, 02:51 AM
Would you like to be one? :)

Am I?

What about them? The command to "love your enemies?"

I have a relationship with all of my enemies, and thankfully right now, the list is small. I must love them and ask God to do what is in their best interest at all times.

So enemies, strangers, brothers, neighbors, have I left anyone out?

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 14th 2010, 02:53 AM
Love is much more than a fickle emotion, just as it is more than mere action or words. It is the very essence of God. It is not soft or weak, nor is it always gentle to the heart. Love can convict us deeply of our wrongs; in it is God’s power and truth. Love is Gods divine essence that when utilized, can remove the many strongholds that bind us in spirit. Jealousy, anger, bitterness, greed, selfishness, pride, hate, fear, lust, envy, the intolerance of others, and every other spiritual vice can be conquered through love. True love is not proud, jealous, envious, haughty, or boastful, nor does it seek its own, but rather the good of others. It is the source of all virtue, just as lust is the source all of vice. It is life and light to those who keep it close to heart. Love is not dependent upon condition; it realizes that none are perfect; it leads us toward unity with God, his grace, as well as his mercy. It is purity in essence releasing us from the darkness of heart, soul, and mind. Love lends to us comfort, peace, and immeasurable power. It is truly mankind’s only real freedom.

It is the strait gate, and the narrow path that so many of us fail to enter and follow. To walk in love is to walk as Christ did, and doing so enables us to fulfill God’s will for mankind. Love is grace, purity, truth, and light. It is given freely to all willing to receive, and if nurtured as a seed, it will produce its substance both in self and in others. Consider the time, effort, and patience it takes to grow a garden. Love is the same way; if it is neglected, even the love a person does have will slowly wither away. But, if it is nurtured it will grow, and in time it will help us live in the fullness of God‘s grace. Understanding love unlocks the door, faith in love releases its power, and the hope that we can be free from darkness through it, keeps the spiritual man forever in God’s grace.

We naturally feed on thoughts of anger, fear, bitterness, resentment, deceit, the lust for of riches and the deceitful pleasures of this life, being tossed to and fro by every whim of the mind. These are the ways that seem right or “natural” to a man, but these ways ultimately lead to spiritual emptiness. We often times push love so far out of sight that we have little to no chance of ever knowing, or realizing its true power. Somehow many of us come to the point where we love darkness more than the light, and we suffer for it. The natural consequence of resisting love is enough to bring the strongest man to his knees. Many of us tend to overlook love, we neglect it, we discard and regard it as weak. But it is a seed of great power.

We must realize that all people are the same and that all fall short of perfection. Love is our spiritual compass; when utilized it guides us, convicts us, directing and redirecting our steps. God has given this gift, this spirit, this seed of mercy to help us become children of light. All are able to receive love; all are able to grow in love, and all are able to accomplish what God wants for us. Even though we all make mistakes and fall short of perfection, we have an opportunity to embrace God’s gift, becoming obedient children of the most high God. If we fail to heed such guidance we will remain in darkness unaware, and blind to the harm it causes both to self and to those around us

Most of us have experienced only remnants of love. Meaning we have only known love in measure, whether it came from family or from friends. Very few of us however, know and understand the power of God’s Love, and what His grace can do for His people. Think for one moment what life would be like without even the remnant of love we do know. I can only imagine the horror, and emptiness, and hopelessness such a life would entail. Love is mankind’s comfort, it is our safety, our peace, and our life force. Without it, this world would be a very dark, lonely, and empty place to dwell. It would be as if we were in a grave, rotting and decaying without hope of ever sustaining life at all. The term “hell “ might be appropriate to describe such an existence, or state of mind reflecting the darkness of the grave, where we are no longer capable to realize the Love of our God. The truth is that even with the remnant of love we do know, many are still in a metaphorical grave, unaware of the blessings which stem from embracing this amazing Spirit with all our being.

There are some, who have experienced so little love in their lives, that they do not recognize what it is at all. This is a sad truth that we cannot close our eyes to. Without love mankind is lost; we cannot be free from our metaphorical “graves” until we allow love to mature within us. Love must be cultivated as if it were a seed, with patience, sincerity, and faith. When we do this, and keep our hearts focused on it, we grow stronger in God’s grace. This in turn creates a great sense of freedom, joy, and peace within ourselves. We must learn to cultivate love, and also plant it in others, bringing its increase in the world we live in.

Love lends to us comfort, and peace; it also grants to us great power over our natural selves. It allows us to grow past our destructive natures, and it helps us develop a newness of mind. The more we allow love to grow within, the more we become free from our lustful ways. To walk in love is to walk as Christ did, and doing so enables us to fulfill God’s will for mankind. It is grace, truth, and a light for all mankind to receive. Love is a tree of life, that if nurtured as a seed, will produce its fruit both in self and in those we encounter. We do this by sharing and extending this wellspring of life towards others.

As UM stated... nice post. welcome....

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 16th 2010, 07:08 PM
Bump .