PDA

View Full Version : Mark 1:2 - Isaiah the Prophet

onecalled
Aug 29th 2010, 02:08 AM
2 As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
Mark 1:2 (KJV)

2 As it is written in Isaiah the prophet, “Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who will prepare your way,

Mark 1:2 (ESV)

1 “Behold, I send my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me. And the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple; and the messenger of the covenant in whom you delight, behold, he is coming, says the Lord of hosts.
Mal 3:1 (ESV)

When I was doing study on this verse I came upon a question that I would like answered. In the KJV it says "in the prophets" , in the ESV it says "in Isaiah the prophet". The problem with the ESV is that it is cited from Malachi 3:1, not in Isaiah. I even did a search in my bible program for "messenger" in Isaiah and could not find a related verse. So which translation is correct? I even looked at other translations and some of them had "in Isaiah the prophet". :confused Or did I just miss something? Help please...

Sirus
Aug 29th 2010, 04:02 AM
Isa 40:3 The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.

Mar 1:3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

but Isaiah doesn't say "Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee."
Interesting. Assumed?

Sirus
Aug 29th 2010, 04:15 AM
Well, Malachi doesn't say "voice of one crying in the wilderness" but does say "he shall prepare the way before me".
So I'd have to say KJV is correct in saying prophets because you have to put the two together.

markedward
Aug 29th 2010, 09:23 PM
The author of the gospel of Mark cites only Isaiah, because Isaiah's prophecy was written at an earlier time. He was fully aware that he was quoting two prophets. (The Greek in the Textus Receptus uses the plural when referring to the "prophets".)

Nihil Obstat
Aug 30th 2010, 03:05 AM
The author of the gospel of Mark cites only Isaiah, because Isaiah's prophecy was written at an earlier time. He was fully aware that he was quoting two prophets. (The Greek in the Textus Receptus uses the plural when referring to the "prophets".

Right. It seems that Malachi was influenced by Isaiah here. Perhaps this too has something to do with it.

Psalms Fan
Sep 6th 2010, 03:51 AM
The different sections of Scripture (Law, Prophets, Writings, etc) all begin with a particular book. In the case of the Prophets, they begin with the book of Isaiah. Something that was commonly done when quoting a section of Scripture was to refer to it by the section of Scripture that it came from, and not the individual book. One way of doing that was the give the name of the first book in that section. So if a New Testament author says that a certain quote comes from "Isaiah", it may just mean that it comes from somewhere in "The Prophets". It's not too dissimilar from Southerners calling Dr Pepper a "Coke", or any one of us calling a piece of Puff's tissue a "Kleenex".

markedward
Sep 6th 2010, 03:28 PM
Do you have any credible sources for this claim? I have heard it before, but not once has the proponent given any sources for the claim.

Radagast
Sep 7th 2010, 08:29 AM
2 As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.

2 As it is written in Isaiah the prophet, “Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who will prepare your way,

There is a manuscript difference here -- most of the oldest manuscripts have "Isaiah." As to what it means, see: http://bible.org/article/mark-12-and-new-testament-textual-criticism

Firstfruits
Sep 7th 2010, 10:13 AM

1 “Behold, I send my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me. And the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple; and the messenger of the covenant in whom you delight, behold, he is coming, says the Lord of hosts.
Mal 3:1 (ESV)

When I was doing study on this verse I came upon a question that I would like answered. In the KJV it says "in the prophets" , in the ESV it says "in Isaiah the prophet". The problem with the ESV is that it is cited from Malachi 3:1, not in Isaiah. I even did a search in my bible program for "messenger" in Isaiah and could not find a related verse. So which translation is correct? I even looked at other translations and some of them had "in Isaiah the prophet". :confused Or did I just miss something? Help please...

According to the following Isaiah does have the same message although not word for word, regarding preparing the way.

Is 40:3 The voice of him that crieth in The wilderness, Prepare ye The way of The LORD, make straight in The desert a highway for our God.

Mt 3:3 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=40&CHAP=3&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=3) For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Mk 1:3 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=41&CHAP=1&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=3) The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Lk 3:4 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=42&CHAP=3&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=4) As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Jn 1:23 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=43&CHAP=1&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=23) He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias.

Firstfruits

Sirus
Sep 8th 2010, 12:33 AM
There is a manuscript difference here -- most of the oldest manuscripts have "Isaiah." As to what it means, see: http://bible.org/article/mark-12-and-new-testament-textual-criticismYou don't have to read very far before you find out you can stop reading. :lol:
"Textual Criticism"

"the earliest and best witnesses have such wording"

Psalms Fan
Sep 8th 2010, 04:53 AM
Do you have any credible sources for this claim? I have heard it before, but not once has the proponent given any sources for the claim.

I looked for a credible source, but couldn't find any. Perhaps I need to retract my statement.