PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Romans (2)

Frances
Sep 11th 2010, 04:36 PM
Romans

Quote:- (David Pawson)”” Back ground – The first Roman Church was Jewish. . . the Roman emperor Claudius was anti-Jewish and expelled 40,000 Jews from the city, so the church in Rome became solely Gentile. In AD54 Claudius died and the next emperor was Nero who realised that Jew were good for business and invited them back. But of course they returned to find Gentiles running the Church. The Jews were not made especially welcome so there was tension. We find that almost every part of this letter deals with this situation. As a Jew Called to the Gentiles Paul was uniquely equipped to deal with the situation.”

Romans 1

What does the text say? – Although Paul had never been to Rome he prays for the church there and wants to go there to impart a Spiritual gift to help them grow strong in the Lord, that they may be encouraged. Paul is not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ; for it is the Power of God to Salvation for everyone who believes, and the Just will live by faith. Unrighteousness and ungodliness encourages God’s wrath, for since the Creation of the world, His invisible qualities, His eternal Power and Divine nature have been clearly seen. Those who do not worship Him as God but worship things He Created instead, God has abandoned to their Sinful acts, and as a result of their Sins they receive the penalty that they deserve for their wickedness, which includes sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, quarrelling, deception, malicious behaviour, gossip, backstabbing, hating God, being insolent, proud, disobeying parents, unforgiving and boastful; those who approve of those who practice these things, and know the Judgements of God, deserve death.

Application? – Do I do anything in Paul’s list of Sins? Do I ‘turn a blind eye’ to the immorality in my society? If so, I deserve God’s Judgement of Death.

Frances
Sep 14th 2010, 04:50 PM
Romans 2

What does the text say? – God’s Judgement is accurate and Truthful about Sin but a person who judges anyone else judges, and condemns themselves too if they do similar things. Do you think you can escape the Judgement of God? Don’t you realise how wonderfully kind, tolerant and longsuffering God is with you, and that His kindness is intended to turn you from Sin? If you do not turn from Sin you stir up terrible punishment for yourself as God will give each person the punishment they deserve. Just listening to the Law does not make us right with God, it is obeying His Word that makes us right with Him. He will Judge everyone’s secret life by Jesus Christ. Those who have a special relationship with God and know what He wants of His people, but don’t do it are guilty too. Circumcision is only any advantage if you keep the Law. Uncircumcised men who keep God’s Law will be regarded as circumcised. A Jew is not one who is circumcised in the flesh but one whose heart is circumcised by God’s Spirit, and whose praise comes not from men but from God.

Application? – Do I judge others? If so I condemn myself if I do anything God does not approve of. I will not escape God’s Judgement. Does God think I despise His goodness, forbearance and longsuffering because I don’t repent when necessary? Will I be horrified on the day of Judgement to discover my lack of true repentance means I am not covered by Christ’s Righteousness? Am I sinful instead of righteous? Do I live in obedience to the Lord, or assume (wrongly) trusting Jesus to Save me means I do not have to obey Him too? Do I tell others they must obey God but not do so myself? Could those who are know Christ have a bad opinion of Christians because they know I say one thing and do another? Has my heart been circumcised by the Holy Spirit? Do I want God’s praise or the praise of other people?

Frances
Sep 15th 2010, 05:05 PM
Romans 3

What does the text say? – What advantage is there in being a Jew? Is there any value in circumcision? Yes, mainly because the Jews were entrusted with what God revealed. Some were unfaithful but that did not mean God will be unfaithful. Some might say sinfulness serves purpose because it shows how righteous God is, so we should not be punished. But that is not so; there is no one who is righteous, Jew or Gentile. All are under the power of Sin. Obviously the Law applies to those to whom it was given and shows the whole world is guilty before God. No one can ever be made right with God by keeping the Law, it just shows us how sinful we are. Now God has shown us a way to be made right with Him as promised by Moses and the prophets – by putting our faith in Jesus Christ. People are made right with God when they believe that Jesus Blood has paid for Sin. God is Just and the Justifier of those who have faith in Jesus Christ, whatever Sin they have committed. No one can boast that they have done anything to be accepted by God because our acquittal is not based on obeying, it is based on faith in what He has done. God treats Jews and Gentiles the same. This does not mean we can forget the Law, but that only through faith can we truly fulfil the Law.

Application? – Am I depending on my relation’s godliness as my righteousness before God? Do I realise it is only my personal faith in what Jesus did on the cross that enables me to be righteous before God?

Frances
Sep 16th 2010, 02:26 PM
Romans 4

What does the text say? – If Abraham was justified by his good deed he had something to boast about, but not before God - because Scripture says Abraham believed God and it was credited to him for righteousness. If anyone works their wages are not a gift but something they have earned; but people are counted righteous not because of their work but because of their faith in God who forgives sinners. David described the happiness of those who are declared righteous without working for it. God accepted Abraham before he was circumcised, so he is the spiritual father of those whose faith makes them righteous whether they are circumcised or not. The Laws always brings punishment on those who try to obey it. Abraham is the spiritual father of many nations because he believed in God who brings the dead back to life, and creates new things out of nothing. Abraham always believed God’s promises to him and so brought glory to God. God will also count us as righteous if we believe in the one who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead, who died because of our Sins and was restored to life to make us right with God.

Application? – Do I continue to trust in God’s Promises when I see no evidence of it being fulfilled whatever difficulties I experience? Do I believe that, as Jesus was raised from the dead, I too, will be raised to new life through faith in Him? However weak my body may be God is able to work miracles through my faith in Him.

Frances
Sep 17th 2010, 05:45 PM
Romans 5

What does the text say? – Because we have been justified by faith we have Peace with God through our Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom He has brought us into this place of Grace(undeserved privilege) where we stand and confidently look forwards to sharing God’s Glory. We can rejoice too in difficulties for we know they help us develop endurance, and endurance contributes to strength of character approved by God, and that character strengthens our confident hope of Salvation. This hope will not lead to disappointment for we know how dearly God Loves us, because He has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our heart with His Love. God demonstrated His Love for us when Christ died for us while we were still sinners, since we have been made righteous by Christ’s Blood we shall be Saved from God’s wrath through Him. We were reconciled to God through the death of His Son so we are, and shall be, Saved by His Life. Adam’s Sin brought Death to rule over many, but Gods wonderful Grace offers Forgiveness to many through Jesus Christ, and enables us to be triumphant over Sin and Death. God’s Law was given so everyone would realise how Sinful they were and realise their need of God’s Forgiveness and Eternal Life through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Application? – Do I trust Jesus Christ with every area and aspect of my life. If God regards me as righteous it is an undeserved gift of His Grace. Do I rejoice during troubles and difficulties? Do I realise that they help me learn to endure, and my character to become more God like, which strengthens my confidence in complete Salvation, and knowing how dearly God Loves those who have faith in Jesus Christ to save them from condemnation . Do I realise how great a privilege it is to have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ?

Frances
Sep 18th 2010, 05:50 PM
Romans 6

What does the text say? – If you are truly trusting Jesus Christ’s death on the cross to have set you free from the power of Sin you will not continue to commit Sin after being set free by God’s Grace. The power of Sin has been broken, now your lives must demonstrate the Power of God, your new Master, and the freedom from Sin Jesus Christ’s death on the cross paid for. If you died to Sin with Christ you have been raised to Life with Him too. If you have died to Sin how can you go on living in it? You are the slave of whatever/whoever you choose to obey. Now you are no longer slaves to Sin but have become slaves to righteous living. Previously you let yourselves be slaves to impurity which led you ever deeper into sin, now you must give yourselves as slaves to righteous living so you will become holy. When you were slaves to Sin you were free from the obligation to do right and do things that earned eternal doom, but now you have become free to be slaves of God and to do things that lead to eternal Life. For the wages of Sin is Death, but the free Gift of God is eternal Life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Application? – If Jesus Christ is my Lord I do not have to sin any more but can choose not to. Does my life demonstrate slavery to Sin or slavery to my Lord Jesus Christ? If I have really died with Christ I will not fight back when I am abused or maligned in some way. I will often have to remind myself how Jesus would react in each situation I find myself in, and react similarly.

Frances
Sep 19th 2010, 04:51 PM
Romans 7

What does the text say? – The Law applies only when a person is alive, eg. when a man dies his wife is free to marry another man, but if her husband is still alive she would be committing adultery is she married another man. The point is that you died to the power of the Law when you died with Christ and now you are united with His death. As a result we can produce a harvest of good deeds for God. When we were controlled by our sinful nature working within us which produced a harvest of sinful deeds, that resulted in separation from God. Now we have been released from the power of those deeds so can serve God by living in the Spirit. The Law showed me my Sin because if it had not said ‘you must not covet’ I would not have known it was wrong. Sin used the Law that is good to bring about my Death. Sin uses God’s Commands for it’s evil purposes. The trouble is not with the Law which is spiritual and good, it helps me to understand that I am a slave to sin. I want to do what is right but instead I do what I hate. Nothing good lives in my sinful nature. Thank God! It is Jesus Christ our Lord. Who will free me from this life dominated by Sin and Death. I really want to obey God’s Law but because of my sinful nature I’m a slave of Sin.

Application? – Am I determined to trust Jesus Christ in all circumstances, to have freed me from the power of Sin? Do I realise that when I give in to sin I am in a ‘no-man’s-land in between the Kingdom of God and the kingdom of Satan. Am I really dead to the power of Sin? Each time I give in to ungodly desires I move away from Christ and give Satan rights in my life, so I must always refuse to give in to Sin however hard that may be to stay firmly in Jesus Kingdom.

Frances
Sep 20th 2010, 05:59 PM
Romans 8

What does the text say? – “Therefore there is now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus who do not work according to the flesh but according to the Spirit” for I am not, now, controlled by the law of Sin and Death if I have given Jesus Christ the control of all areas of my life. God condemns Sin in the flesh, so if we live according to the Spirit we will live according to God’s righteous requirements. For to be carnally minded is Death(separation from God), but to be Spiritually minded is Life and Peace with Him. If anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ they are not His, and if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of Sin, but your spirit is alive because of righteousness. If God’s Spirit dwells in you He Who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal body. As many as are led by the Spirit of God are His sons and heirs with Christ. If we suffer with Him we will be glorified with Him. The suffering of this present time cannot be compared with the glory that will be revealed in us. The Creation looks forward to joining God’s children in freedom from death and decay. We believers groan even though we have the Holy Spirit as a foretaste of Glory. We long for our bodies to be released from Sin and suffering and wait for God to give us full rights of adoption, including the new body He has Promised. We hope for what we do not see and wait for it with eager anticipation while we persevere in pleasing God. His Spirit helps us in our weakness and makes intercession for us according to the Will of God. We know that all things work together for good to those who love God and are Called according to His purpose. Those He foreknew He predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son. Having chosen them He Called them, and those who came to Him He cleansed and glorified. If God is for us, who can succeed against us? No one. And no one can separate us from Christ’s Love. Even in times of hardship or peril nothing can separate us from Christ. We are more than conquerors because of His Love. No created being ,
life, death, angels, demons, height, depth, nothing (but lack of submission to Him) will ever be able to separate us from Christ Jesus our Lord.

Application? – Am I really trusting Jesus Christ’s death on the cross to have paid the penalty for all my Sin? Do I always do my best to please God, and repent if I fail? If not He will condemn me. God is more than willing to release me from condemnation, but I must truly desire to do His Will at all times for that to be reality. Do I always obey God’s Spirit? If so I will enjoy Life and Peace, if my sinful nature controls me I can not please God and will Die. Only if I do as the Holy Spirit requires am I a son of God. Whatever I suffer on earth so that God may be revealed is as nothing if God is Glorified. Do I eagerly wait for my body to be released from Sin and suffering and hope for the day when I will gain the new body the Lord Promises? If I love God and am Called according to His Purposes everything that happens to me is for my ultimate good. God is always active on my behalf and I am able to overcome any evil in Jesus’ name because nothing can separate me from Him.

Frances
Sep 21st 2010, 06:15 PM
Romans 9

What does the text say? – With Christ and the Holy Spirit as a witness Paul declared that he would be willing to be cut off from Christ for ever if that would mean the rest of the Jews would be all become Christians. God gave them the privilege of worshipping Him, and they received His wonderful Promises, which He has fulfilled to Israel, for not all who are born into the nation of Israel are members of God’s chosen people, but only those who are born into His family by faith. Rebekah was told, before her twins were born, that the elder would serve the younger, showing that God chooses people according to His own purposes, not because of their good or bad works. We cannot work for, nor choose to receive, God’s Mercy. Humans cannot argue with God, nothing Created can argue with it’s Creator. A potter uses the same clay for different purposes, one for decoration and another for rubbish. God is very patient with those who will be destroyed, to make His Glory shine ever more brightly on those to whom He shows Mercy, both Jews and Gentiles. Concerning the Gentiles, God said He would call people who were not formerly His people to be His sons. Righteousness must be sought , and attained, by faith in Jesus Christ, not by doing religious things or keeping rules and regulations.

Application? – would I give up my relationship with Jesus Christ so that others would be Saved? Why did God choose me but not, apparently, my sibling? Or did He choose them but they have not submitted to Him? Am I sufficiently grateful that God chose me? No one can be a true disciple of Jesus Christ unless they submit to Him and obey the Holy Spirit. No ceremony can ever make anyone a Christian, however well meaning those responsible may be. If I trust in Jesus Christ I will never be disgraced. Although I must keep God’s rules and regulations they will not obtain preferential treatment for me from Him.

Frances
Sep 22nd 2010, 05:05 PM
Romans 10

What does the text say? – Paul’s greatest desire and prayer is for the Israelites to be Saved. They have great enthusiasm for God but it is misdirected. They do not understand God’s Way of making people righteous. Refusing to accept God’s Way they try to enter His Kingdom by keeping the Law. It is only by confessing with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believing in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, that you will be Saved. It is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and by confessing with your mouth that you are Saved. Whether you are a Jew or a Gentile you have the same generous Lord. Everyone who Calls on the Name of the Lord will be Saved. For anyone to Call on Him they must have been told about Him and believe in Him. But not everyone believes the Good News. God longs for His people to go to Him, but they are disobedient and rebellious.

Application? – Do I pray for Israel to be saved? Do I try to earn God’s favour by the things I do instead of putting my faith in the blood Jesus shed on the cross on my behalf? Do I really believe God raised Jesus Christ from the dead? Do I say, and act as though, Jesus is my Lord? Do I tell others about Jesus’ offer of Salvation? Do I tell others what God’s Word says regarding Salvation? Did I discover God without searching for Him? Have I accepted His offer of Salvation?

Frances
Sep 23rd 2010, 05:09 PM
Romans 11

What does the text say? – God has not rejected His people. Elijah thought he was the only one left faithful to God, but was told there were 7,000 more as well. At that time there was a remnant left to the Lord according to His election of Grace – God’s undeserved kindness, not because of the good works of the recipients. Israel as a whole did not receive what they sought, but the election is sure and the rest have been blinded – they do not see or hear God. God’s people have not fallen beyond recovery; they were disobedient so He made Salvation available to the Gentiles, wanting His own people to be jealous enough to turn to Him, for if the root of a tree is holy the branches will be too. The Gentiles are like the branches of a wild olive tree grafted in, to receive the Blessings God Promised Abraham. The Israelites do not believe in Christ they are like branches broken off, and the Gentiles have been grafted in because of their faith; if God did not spare the original branches He won’t spare the grafted in ones either. God is severe towards those who disobey Him and kind to those who continue to trust Him and His kindness; the people of Israel will be grafted back in if they turn from their unbelief. God’s Mercy is for everyone and when the full number of Gentiles come to Christ all Israel will be Saved, for the Gifts and Calling of God are irrevocable. God’s decisions and ways are due to His Wisdom and knowledge.

Application? – Do I look down on the Jews? Do I have any pride at being chosen by Christ for His Kingdom? If so it is short-sighted as He will treat me the same as the unbelievers if I stop trusting in His death and resurrection to have been in my place. Do I make full use of the gifts God has given me to Glorify Him?

Frances
Sep 24th 2010, 04:56 PM
Romans 12

What does the text say? – Give your body (which includes mind and spirit) to God as a living sacrifice. Do not be conformed to the behaviour and customs of the ‘world’, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so you will know what God regards as ‘good, pleasing and perfect’. Do not think too highly of yourself but be honest in your evaluation of yourself, remembering that we all have a different, but necessary function in the Body of Christ – His Church. We must all use the Gifts we have been given to help others. Love must be without hypocrisy, evil must be hated, we must honour others, work hard, as we serve the Lord enthusiastically, rejoice in our confident hope, be patient in trouble and keep on praying, and giving practical help to other Christians. Bless those who persecute you, don’t curse them but pray that God will Bless them. Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with each other. Don’t be too proud to spend time with those you consider inferior to you, and don’t think you are wiser than others. Don’t repay evil with evil. Never take revenge on others, leave that to the righteous anger of God. Act honourably at all times. Live at peace with everyone. If your enemy is hungry feed them, if they are thirsty give them a drink. Don’t let evil rule you, but conquer evil with good.

Application? – Do I always try to please God or other people? Do I allow God’s Word to change the way I think? Do I think too highly of myself? Am I willing to be a living sacrifice to God – to choose His Will instead of mine when that is extremely difficult? Do I neglect using the Gifts God has given me for the good of the His people? Do I always act to others, especially those I don’t really like, as Jesus would? Do I bless those who persecute me? (or curse them?) Do I weep with those who weep? Do I think too highly of myself and my ability? Do I leave all vengeance to the Lord? Do I always overcome evil by doing good?

Frances
Sep 25th 2010, 06:08 PM
Romans 13

What does the text say? – We must obey those who govern us because they were appointed by God and those who resist them will be resisting God, and those who do right will have no cause to fear. The authorities are God’s servants for your good. You must pay them taxes, customs and respect. Owe nothing to anyone except the obligation to love one another. If you love your neighbour you will fulfil all the requirements of the law, as you will not commit adultery, murder, steal, or covet. Love does no wrong to others. Wake up, for your Salvation is nearer than it was when you first believed. Remove your dark deeds like discarding dirty clothes, and put on the armour of Light. Discard all deeds of darkness, (eg) wild parties, quarrelling, jealousy, drunkenness, sexual promiscuity and other immoral deeds.

Application? – Do I obey those in authority over me? If I resist them I resist God too and will be Judged. Do I pay all the taxes I owe? Do I respect and honour those to whom it is due? Do I owe anything to anyone? Do I truly love others as I love myself? I must stop doing anything that displeases God now, and remember that if I truly belong to the Lord Jesus Christ He is always with me wherever I go, (and knows everything I do and say).

Frances
Sep 26th 2010, 04:07 PM
Romans 14

What does the text say? – Help those who are weak in faith, but do not argue with them about things not central to faith in Jesus Christ – eg. whether to eat meat or not, or which day to worship God. You must not condemn others who do not agree with you on such matters as we will all have to give God an account of our actions, but be determined not to cause another believer to stumble. Do not eat or drink what others consider offensive; if you have any doubts about eating anything you are sinning if you eat it. Whatever you do that is not from faith is Sin.

Application? – Do I help those whose faith is weak to trust the Lord more and to discover more of His Faithfulness? Do I (wrongly) think everyone must have the same opinions as myself about unimportant details, and despise those who don’t agree? I must remember that each action of mine will have to be explained to God one day, and how small what concerns me now will seem then. Am I concerned to ensure that anything I do or say will not cause anyone to turn away from the Lord?

Frances
Sep 27th 2010, 05:13 PM
Romans 15

What does the text say? – Those whose faith in Jesus Christ is strong must make allowances for those whose faith in Him is weaker and not just please themselves. We must encourage others to trust the Lord more, but not belittle the faith they have. Even Christ did not live to please Himself, so His followers should live in complete harmony, then they can all give praise and glory to God and accept each other as Christ has accepted them, then they will all overflow with confident hope through the Power of the Holy Spirit. Paul did not boast about anything except what the Holy Spirit had done through him, converting the Gentiles through fully presenting the message and doing miracles in the Name of Christ where He had not been heard of before. Paul said he was taking a gift from the believers in Macedonia and Achaia to the poor believers in Jerusalem then he was gong to Rome; he asked for prayer that he would be rescued from those who didn’t believe in Jesus Christ

Application? – Do I argue, or just agree to differ, about unnecessary details? Do I remember that my faith in Christ has grown over time and help others to grow in faith, by telling them what I believe but not insisting that they believe incidental things as I do? Do I talk of what Christ has done through me without personal pride? Or do I speak of such things hoping to take some of His Glory for myself? Am I willing to act as a messenger for the Lord in whatever way He chooses? Do I pray for those who evangelise at home or abroad that all they do and say will be acceptable to God? Is everything I do and say acceptable to the Lord God?

Frances
Sep 28th 2010, 03:22 PM
Romans 16

What does the text say? – Paul commends Phoebe, a deacon in the church in Cenchrea, to the church in Rome, and asks them to welcome her as one worthy of honour, and to give her whatever help she needs as she helps others; he sends greetings to Pricilla, Aquila his co-workers for Christ, saying all the Gentile churches are thankful for them. He greets Epenetus, the first Asian Christian, Mary, Andronicus and Junia, Ampliatus, Urbanus, Stachys, Apollos, those in Aristobulus’ household, Herodian, the Lord’s people in Narcissus’ household, Tryphena and Tryphosa, Rufus and his mother, Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobus, Hermas and those who meet with them, Philologue, Julia, Nereus and his sister, Olympas, and the believers who meet with them. He told them to watch out for, and stay away from, those who upset people’s faith by teaching slanted to their own interests instead of Christ’s, and so deceive many people. He sends greetings from Timothy, Lucus, Jason, Sasipater, Gaius, Erastus, Quartus, and Tertius (the one writing the letter for Paul). Glory is given to God who is able to make the believers strong. As the prophets foretold, and as the everlasting God has Commanded, the Good News is made known to the Gentiles everywhere, so they may believe and obey Him.

Application? – Do remember to greet everyone by name? Or do I overlook some folk as insignificant, so making them feel of no consequence? Do I encourage others to stay away from those who change the Good News in any way? Do I regard every Christian as equally important and remember that, to Christ, each one is worthy of remembrance and mention?

Frances
Sep 29th 2010, 04:39 PM
.................................................. ................................