PDA

View Full Version : Jesus' Ressurection and sacrifices

onecalled
Sep 19th 2010, 04:40 AM
After Jesus was raised from death how long was it before people stopped sacrificing animals to God. Did it stop within months afterword, years, or even longer. When people stopped sacrificing animals why did they stop (yes, I know Jesus was resurrected but not all people believed in Jesus) , what was the reason for it (did it become a crime?).
The reason I ask this is because when I witness to people about Jesus I tell them that we do not have to sacrifice animals anymore because of what Jesus has done for us. I ask them how long it would take the police to show up at my house if I started sacrificing animals (which I don't) on a alter built for God in my back yard. This information would be used for witnessing purposes. Thank You...

Diggindeeper
Sep 19th 2010, 04:45 AM
They continued sacrificing of animals long after the resurrection of Jesus. Until the temple was destroyed in 70 A.D. That's when all of Jerusalem as well as the temple was destroyed. Then, you see, they had no temple in which to offer blood sacrifices!

But the fact is, there is no need for them ever, ever again. Jesus became the ULTIMATE sacrifice, once and for all, for ever!

markedward
Sep 19th 2010, 04:55 AM
After Jesus was raised from death how long was it before people stopped sacrificing animals to God. Did it stop within months afterword, years, or even longer. When people stopped sacrificing animals why did they stop (yes, I know Jesus was resurrected but not all people believed in Jesus) , what was the reason for it (did it become a crime?).Many of Jesus' followers stopped immediately. Some still continued offering sacrifices, but these were generally for various situations other than sacrifices to atone for sin. The non-believing Jews continued to offer sacrifices in the temple until the Romans destroyed it in 70 AD.

I have to ask... what kind of point are you trying to make when witnessing by asking "how long it would take the police to show up at my house if I started sacrificing animals"?

onecalled
Sep 19th 2010, 05:10 AM
I try to get the point across of who Jesus is and what He has done for all of us. It also usually makes the person laugh when talking about sacrificing animals and the police coming (it is sometimes used as a ice breaker and it does work for me). I know it sounds crazy but it lets people see that I am a normal person and not a "holier than you" attitude. I believe that all of us have different gifts for witnessing to people and using abstract scenarios work for me, although I don't use it all the time. I don't like it when people think that I am better than them or that I am perfect because I am a Christian, because none of us are perfect. I can sometimes tell what a person thinks about Christianity just by their body language towards me, hey I'm human just like you!

crossnote
Sep 19th 2010, 05:40 AM
As an aside, when they start up with the 'holier than thou' bit, I like responding, 'nope, just a sinner too who has embraced a Savior for those sins'.

knox knox
Sep 19th 2010, 07:08 AM
After Jesus was raised from death how long was it before people stopped sacrificing animals to God. Did it stop within months afterword, years, or even longer. When people stopped sacrificing animals why did they stop (yes, I know Jesus was resurrected but not all people believed in Jesus) , what was the reason for it (did it become a crime?).
The reason I ask this is because when I witness to people about Jesus I tell them that we do not have to sacrifice animals anymore because of what Jesus has done for us. I ask them how long it would take the police to show up at my house if I started sacrificing animals (which I don't) on a alter built for God in my back yard. This information would be used for witnessing purposes. Thank You...

Sacrificing of animals are stopped immediately took effect after Christ ascended to Father
and present himself as a living sacrifice. Killing of animals was already obselete
because Christ has already substitue his precious blood for remission of our sin.
Up to present sacrificing of animals are still being used by village doctor or spiritual healer especially in the rural areas of many third world country. About your purpose that you want to know something about this, every nation as what I know
have laws about this.You can consult to government agency Protection Against
Cruelty to Animals, if you desire.

Radagast
Sep 19th 2010, 08:07 AM
They continued sacrificing of animals long after the resurrection of Jesus. Until the temple was destroyed in 70 A.D. That's when all of Jerusalem as well as the temple was destroyed.

The Jews did, but early Christians didn't (although Paul is in the Temple in Acts 21), both for practical reasons (Christians wouldn't be welcome in the Temple), and theological ones (as explained in Hebrews).

Sirus
Sep 19th 2010, 08:22 AM
were the sacrifices still received by God in Jesus' day?
I mean, doing them was irrelevant if they were not accepted.

crossnote
Sep 21st 2010, 02:46 AM
were the sacrifices still received by God in Jesus' day?
I mean, doing them was irrelevant if they were not accepted.

They were accepted until the Lamb who took away the sins of the world had offered Himself. The veil was rent opening the way.

Sirus
Sep 21st 2010, 02:53 AM
Yes, but what about God? Was He even there before that?...to accept or reject the yearly atonement?

David Taylor
Sep 21st 2010, 03:49 PM
The Jews did, but early Christians didn't (although Paul is in the Temple in Acts 21), both for practical reasons (Christians wouldn't be welcome in the Temple), and theological ones (as explained in Hebrews).

One could rephrase this to say a bit more clearly:

The unbelieving Jews did(continue sacrificing animals), but early believing Jews didn't (later called Christians)

Those who were truly following God saw the complete worthliness of animal sacrifices, and realized that Christ their Messiah was the final sacrifice, and the foremost fulfillment of the OT types and shadows that the Fathers of old prophesied about.

Calypsis4
Sep 21st 2010, 04:12 PM
One could rephrase this to say a bit more clearly:

The unbelieving Jews did(continue sacrificing animals), but early believing Jews didn't (later called Christians)

Those who were truly following God saw the complete worthliness of animal sacrifices, and realized that Christ their Messiah was the final sacrifice, and the foremost fulfillment of the OT types and shadows that the Fathers of old prophesied about.

I agree. The sacrifices of the law of Moses all became obsolete the very moment Jesus died upon the cross. That is why He said, "It is finished". The atonement for our sins was therefore complete.

notuptome
Sep 21st 2010, 05:04 PM
Apostate Judiasm continues to this day to make bloodless sacrifices in an effort to establish their own righteousness before God. Apostate Christians continue to this day to substitute their own righteousness above the righteousness of God by diminishing the grace of God through works as meritorious in salvation and reconciliation to God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Calypsis4
Sep 21st 2010, 05:51 PM
Apostate Judiasm continues to this day to make bloodless sacrifices in an effort to establish their own righteousness before God. Apostate Christians continue to this day to substitute their own righteousness above the righteousness of God by diminishing the grace of God through works as meritorious in salvation and reconciliation to God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Again, so true. Sad but true.

crossnote
Sep 22nd 2010, 02:35 AM
Yes, but what about God? Was He even there before that?...to accept or reject the yearly atonement?

I would say so. The whole of chapter one of Luke seems pregnant (forgive the pun) with indications of God being active surrounding the temple and high priest. At least a transition is being revealed.

Sirus
Sep 22nd 2010, 03:19 AM
I would say so. The whole of chapter one of Luke seems pregnant (forgive the pun) with indications of God being active surrounding the temple and high priest. At least a transition is being revealed.God departed and the ark was gone long before Luke 1 so how would they have accomplished Leviticus 16? The OP saying

"when I witness to people about Jesus I tell them that we do not have to sacrifice animals anymore because of what Jesus has done for us."
indicated he was questioning more than what we see in Luke 1. Maybe I am wrong but I thought the discussion was about the atonement. Luke 1 is talking about the priests role of intercession.