PDA

View Full Version : possession and oppression

peacewithin
Sep 29th 2010, 04:08 AM
I don't know if I'm spelling oppression right but I have a question. What is the difference in demon possession and oppression?
Thanks

MoreMercy
Sep 29th 2010, 05:00 PM
I don't know if I'm spelling oppression right but I have a question. What is the difference in demon possession and oppression?
Thanks

Evil oppression and Evil possession are two very different things, your question denotes that you personally are not oppressed by evil in the area of your thinking which brought that question from you to share here.

Not many will agree with me, but friend we can all be oppressed by evil in our thinking and in our attitudes in our
daily living, because we are all living in an world of knowledge of GOOD and EVIL.
By default even His obedient children can be (not are but can) be oppressed by evil because of our environment (earth, our fallen world)

I have not learnt this from books, tapes or words of men, but in my unworthy service to Him and since you asked this question yesterday and no one has answered, then I will be the first to share today.

Demon/Evil oppression
His obedient children can be oppressed by evil, all of them.
His disobedient children are being oppressed by evil, all of them.

Demon/Evil possession
Is a very different thing and I choose not to tread there with descriptions and examples.
With this exception: a person will have to be oppressed for them to be possessed.
Is everyone who is oppressed, possessed ? No.

Thank you for the question !
Father bless.

Calypsis4
Sep 29th 2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks

I agree with MoreMercy. Having studied my Bible for 45 yrs and counseled with people from both within and without my congregation, I will say from experience that 'oppression' and 'possession' are different things. Yes, Christians can be 'oppressed' by devils. No, they cannot be 'possessed' by devils because they belong to Jesus.

HOWEVER, believers can be invaded (the minds, their bodies) by evil spirits that wreak havoc in their lives. I speak of those who deliberately sin or have various sinful attitudes in life. AND...that oppression can and sometimes does look much like 'possession'.

II Corinthians 10:3-5 tells us that the battleground between God and Satan is in the mind, the imagination, and that demonic strongholds can afflict the minds of believers. We are commanded to bring those strongholds down. But where are those strongholds? In the mind.

4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

The question then is obvious: How can devils indwell the same space and place of the Holy Spirit?

Answer: They can't.

Let me illustrate it this way: A man comes home only to discover that damage has been done to his house and things are stolen. He concludes that robbers have been there. Then during a thorough search he discovers some of them hiding in his closet and in the attic. A fight ensues and with help from a neighbor he eliminates them from his house and calls the police to come arrest them. So while the robbers did indeed indwell the man's house they did not possess the mans house. The house still belonged to the owner.

Had the man not discovered the robbers then they could hide out in the closets and/or attic for an indefinite time and perhaps do even more damage and theft. This would be especially true if the householder left doors unlocked and windows open.

This is what devils do when the doors go open because of sin. They enter covertly and quietly and do their damage to the believers life and attitude. They do not POSSESS the person but they do OPPRESS the person. The truth is that devils can do the same evil things to believers they do to unblievers.

There are a number of passages that indicate demonic invasion and/or control of believers

Acts 5:1-5
Proverbs 25:28, 16:2
Mark 16:23 compared with Mark 8:33
II Timothy 2:26

Best wishes and God bless you.

peacewithin
Sep 30th 2010, 03:20 AM
Thank you both! You explained it to me perfectly!
Beverly