PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - 1 Corinthians (2)

Frances
Oct 13th 2010, 05:26 PM
1 Corinthians (2)

Quote:- (David Pawson)The city that Paul visited was very wealthy and terribly pagan. . . the huge temple of Aphrodite housed 2,000 priestesses who were effectively prostitutes, since worship there involved intercourse with a priestess. So this explains, in part, why Paul needed to concentrate on male/female relationships in his Corinthian letters. The city was mostly populated by freedmen – ex slaves. They were quite wealthy having worked their way up the social ladder.”

1 Corinthians 1

What does the text say?- God makes His people holy by means of Jesus Christ, through whom He gives His Gifts. He will keep His people strong so they will be blameless when Jesus Christ returns. Paul appeals to the church to live n harmony with no divisions, and to be of one mind, united in purpose, following no one but Christ. The message of the Cross is foolishness to those heading for destruction, but the Power of God to those who are being Saved. God makes the wisdom of the world look foolish – to the Jews who expect signs from heaven and to Greeks who seek human wisdom. The Jews are offended when it is said that Christ was crucified and the Gentiles think it’s nonsense, but those Called by God know Christ is His Wisdom and Power. God chose what the world considers foolish to shame the wise, and those that are powerless to shame those who are powerful; He chose what the world despised and used them to put to shame what the world thinks important. As a result, no one can boast in God’s Presence. Christ made us right with God – pure, holy, and free from the power of Sin, so if you want to boast, boast about what He has done.

Application? – Do I use the Gifts of the Spirit for the good of the Church? Am I living in fellowship with Christ? Do I cause division? Do I do all I am able to live in harmony with other Christians? Do I ensure I do not add to, or subtract from, Scripture?

Frances
Oct 14th 2010, 04:02 PM
1 Corinthians 2+3
What does the text say?- When Paul went to Corinth he did not use lofty words or impressive wisdom to tell of God’s Plan, he relied totally on the Power of the Holy Spirit so that the people would not trust in human wisdom but in the Power of God. Only with mature believers did He speak of the Wisdom of God from Creation. No one knows the things of God except His Holy Spirit, and He has revealed those things by His Spirit. Paul says he uses words given by the Holy Spirit to explain spiritual things, but people who haven’t the Spirit cannot understand what the Spirit means. Those who have the Holy Spirit can evaluate all things, but they can’t be evaluated by those who do not have Him. He understands these things because he has the mind of Christ. Those who live by the world’s standards of envy, strife, and division have to be fed ‘milk’ not any solid ‘meat’. The person who led you to the Lord is unimportant, it is God who enables Spiritual growth, who is important. Paul has laid the foundations of faith in Christ and it will become clear on Judgement day whether each person builds jewels or straw. If their work is burned up they will be Saved but not their work. The people where the Holy Spirit dwells are God’s temple and holy; God will destroy anyone who destroys His Temple. The wisdom of the world is foolishness to God and worthless.

Application? – Do I speak in ways a child could understand so it will be clearly understood by all? Or do I show off what I may regard as superior education? Is human wisdom or the Wisdom of God seen through me? Do I have the mind of Christ? Do I have to be fed spiritual ‘milk’ or can I digest spiritual ‘meat’? Do I ensure I build on the solid foundations Paul laid? Do I build with things of spiritual value or things that have no lasting value? Am I deceived into thinking I’m wise when I’m not? Do I truly believe in Jesus Christ and therefore totally trust Him in all things?

Frances
Oct 15th 2010, 03:28 PM
1 Corinthians 4
What does the text say?- Apollos and Paul were just servants of Christ who had been put in charge of explaining the mysteries of God. Those God put in charge must be faithful to Him, human evaluation matters very little, having a clear conscience does not prove righteousness, only the Lord can Judge. Do not make judgments about anyone before the Lord returns and brings our darkest secrets to light and reveals our motives. No one has any faith that has not come from God so no one has anything to boast about. Those who thought they were already reigning in God’s Kingdom were wrong, if they had been right Paul and Apollos would be reigning with them instead of being like prisoners of war, condemned to die, whose dedication to Christ made them look like weak fools, while the leaders in Corinth thought of themselves as powerful and honoured. Paul and Apollos were hungry, thirsty, poorly clothed, beaten and homeless, they work for a living, when reviled they bless and endure persecution patiently, when defamed they encourage, but are treated as trash. Paul did not write this to shame his readers but to warn them as he was their spiritual father; when he meets them face to face they will discover who really does have God’s Power, for the kingdom of God is not just talk, it is living by God’s Power.

Application? – Am I faithful to Jesus Christ in every way? A clear conscience does not mean God considers me righteous. What darkness in me will be revealed on Judgment day? Every good quality in me comes from God, so I have nothing to boast about. Do I expect to be treated with deference or am I willing to be ill-treated in Christ’s service? Is the Power of God demonstrated in my life or do I just talk about it?

Frances
Oct 16th 2010, 07:15 PM
1 Corinthians 5+6
What does the text say?-Paul was horrified that there was sexual immorality in the church, and insisted that the one involved was removed from the congregation, as this Sin is like yeast that infects all it is in contact with. He was amazed the congregation was proud of themselves instead of full of shame; he wrote to say they must not associate with believers who were sexually immoral in any way, as those who are covetous, or greedy, or worshipped idols, or were abusive, or drunkards, or cheats will not inherit the Kingdom of God. It is the responsibility of those in the church to judge those in it, and any who are sinful must be removed from fellowship. It is shameful to take another Christian to a secular court of law. Some of them were like that but were cleansed and made holy in the Name of Jesus Christ and by the Holy Spirit. No one must become a slave to anything, including food; certainly not for sexual immorality as our bodies were made for the Lord and He cares about how we use, or mis-use them. The person joined to the Lord is one Spirit with Him, so flee sexual Sin which is Sin against your body which is the Temple of the Holy Spirit. You do not belong to yourself for God bought you at a high price, so you must honour Him with your body.

Application? – Does everything I do honour God? Am I sexually pure? Is anyone in my church sexually immoral, extortionate, envious, does anyone worship an idol of any sort? Am I a slave to food? Is my body really treated as a Temple of the Holy Spirit?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “Venus was the principle deity of Corinth, his temple was one of the most magnificent buildings in the city. In it 1,000 priestesses (public prostitutes) were kept at public expense – always ready for immoral indulgence as worship to their goddess. Some . . used to immoral living were finding it hard to adapt to moral living. Paul had said all things were lawful, and some of them were evidently quoting this to justify their promiscuous sexual indulgence, Paul positively states that this does not apply.”

Frances
Oct 17th 2010, 05:04 PM
1 Corinthians 7+8
What does the text say?- Paul says it is good to live a celibate life, but because there is so much immorality each man should have a wife, and each woman a husband – both filling each other’s sexual needs, only mutually refraining for a while to devote themselves to prayer. It is good to remain single, but better to marry than burn with passion. If anyone has an unbelieving marriage partner willing to continue living with them they must not divorce them, but if they insist on leaving let them go. A man who was not circumcised before he became a Christian should not be circumcised for it makes no difference; the important thing is to keep God’s Commandments. Those who were slaves when the Lord called them are now free in the Lord, and those who were free are now His slaves. God paid dearly for you so do not be enslaved by the world. Do not rely on your possessions. A wife is bound to her husband as long as he lives but if he dies she is free to marry, but only to another Christian. Concerning things offered to idols – some knowing idols have no power may be unaffected themselves, but beware that your liberties don’t become a reason another Christian stumbles and perishes – if that should happen you sin against them and therefore against Christ.

Application? – Is my sexual passion to marriage between husband and wife? As a husband and wife belong to each other equally and must not deprive each other of sexual fulfilment – do I deprive my marriage partner - unless we agree to no sex when we devote ourselves to prayer for a while? Celibacy is only for a few, but is best for those who are able to live that way – do I have that ability? Am I enslaved by the ways of the world? Am I too attached to worldly possessions? If I have anything in my home that was offered to an idol I must get rid of it so I don’t sin against another person, and therefore sin against Christ.

Frances
Oct 18th 2010, 06:33 PM
1 Corinthians 9
What does the text say?- Paul said he is an Apostle, he is free, he has seen the Lord, the church in Corinth is his work in the Lord, he had the right to have a believing wife travel with him, and to receive hospitality, just as the other Apostles. Those who sow spiritual things have the right to receive material benefits, yet Paul had never used that right to be supported in case it was detrimental to the spread of the Gospel. Those who preach the Good News should be supported by those who benefit from it, he is compelled by God to preach the Good News, it is a sacred trust from Him. Paul had become the slave of all people to bring many to Christ; he tried to find common ground with those he meets while he tells the Good News hoping to Save some. He disciplines himself like an athlete in training, not just shadow boxing as he has no intention of being disqualified in the race of life.

Application? – Do I offer hospitality to those who share the Good News of the Salvation Jesus offers? Am I willing to be the servant of all so I may win some people to Christ? Do I try to find common ground with those I seek to win to Christ? Do I always do the best that I am able, even though I know others are more Gifted than I am? Have I disciplined myself to live in subjection to Christ, and demonstrate His Love, at all times?

Frances
Oct 19th 2010, 05:04 PM
1 Corinthians 10
What does the text say?- All the Israelites who left Egypt were Guided by the Cloud, all of them walked through the sea, and so were baptised as followers of Moses; all of them ate the same spiritual food and drank from the Spiritual Rock that was Christ. God was displeased with almost all of them because of idol worship and sexual Sin, so they died in the wilderness. If you think you will never sin be very careful not to fall into temptation; God will not let you be tempted beyond your ability to remain faithful to Him. At the Lord’s Table we share in the body and blood of Christ, and we all eat from the same loaf demonstrating that we are one body. Idols that people sacrifice to are, in fact, demons not God. You cannot worship God and demons at the same time. However free you may be, not everything is good or beneficial for you, or gives a good witness to unbelievers. Do everything for the Glory of God without giving offence to anyone but imitating Christ. If you know something has been offered to an idol have nothing to do with it.

Application? – Have I been baptised (immersed) in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit? Am I always obedient to them? Could I be an idol worshipper without realising – ie. does anyone or anything take God’s place in my life? Does everything I do bring Glory to God? Do I offend anyone unnecessarily?

Frances
Oct 20th 2010, 05:23 PM
1 Corinthians 11
What does the text say? – It was Paul’s custom to think that the Head of the Church is God, the head of every man is Christ, the head of every woman is man, when praying or prophesying men should have their heads uncovered but women have their heads covered, also that men’s hair should be short and women’s long. Men and women are dependant on each other. There must be disagreements so that what is right is recognised. On the night Jesus was betrayed He gave thanks to God for the bread and said it represented His body, He gave thanks to God for the wine, saying it represented the Covenant between God and Jesus’ followers; and that every time they ate and drank in His memory is a witness to what He has done on the Cross, threfore whoever and drinks unworthily is guilty of sinning against Him, and will be disciplined accordingly – with weakness, sickness and death – by the Lord Jesus so we will not be condemned with the rest of the world. So eating and drinking at the Lord’s Supper must be done in a worthy manner.

Application? – Do I ensure no sin divides me from the Lord before I partake of His Supper? Does partaking in ‘an unworthy manner’ include not totally relying on Jesus’ death and resurrection for my Salvation? Do I believe the customs Paul was used to are binding on me today?

Frances
Oct 21st 2010, 04:03 PM
1 Corinthians 12
What does the text say?- the Holy Spirit gives a diversity of Gifts to Christians. No one led by the Holy Spirit will speak ill of Jesus Christ, and no one will proclaim Jesus to be their Lord except by the Holy Spirit. There are different Spiritual Gifts but the Holy Spirit is the source of them all. There are different kinds of ministries (service) but we all have the same Lord. God works in different ways for the good of all; eg. a word of Wisdom, a word of Knowledge, Faith, Healings, working of Miracles, Prophets, Discerning of spirits, different kinds of Tongues. The Holy Spirit is the one who distributes all these Gifts and decides which Gift(s) each person will have for them to glorify Jesus Christ. The human body has many different parts that, together, make one body. It is the same with the body of Christ, some are Jews, some are Gentiles, some are slaves and some free, but when Baptised by the Holy Spirit we are one body, each part necessary. Some parts of the body that seem weakest are the most necessary, and those we consider less honourable we clothe with the greatest care. We carefully protect those parts that should not be seen, while the more honourable parts do not require special care. God has designed the body so that if one part is injured the whole body suffers; so it is with the Body of Christ, each part is essential for the good of the whole Body of which you are a part. No one has all the Gifts necessary for the Body of Christ to function properly. You should earnestly seek the better Gifts – yet there is a better way . . .

Application? – Am I satisfied with the Gifts(s) the Lord has given me? I may not have the same Spiritual Gifts as others, and may not appear to be as necessary, or as honoured, as some but will be essential to the Body of Christ nevertheless. Eg. a little toe, or little finger, may not seem essential until it is injured or amputated. Do I ensure the Spiritual Gift(s) I have been given are ready for action at all times? I may not have received the Gifts I would have chosen, but there is a better way . . .

Frances
Oct 22nd 2010, 05:18 PM
1 Corinthians 13
What does the text say?- If I could speak all languages but had no love for others I would be no more use than a wind-chime. Although I have the gift of prophecy and understanding all the mysteries of God and all knowledge, and had enough faith to move mountains but did not love others I would be no use to anyone. If I gave everything I have to the poor, and gave myself to be tortured, but had no love it would be pointless, I would have gained nothing.

Application? – do I really love those I pray for in tongues or give a prophecy to? Could my faith in Jesus Christ be greater? Do I give my possessions to others without loving them as well? Am I easily provoked? Am I rude? Do I envy anyone? Am I proud and boastful? Could I appear to be a paragon of virtue but not love others? My knowledge and understanding are only partial but one day I will know myself as well as God knows me now. Do I have sufficient faith in Jesus Christ, hope in the future and love for others?

Frances
Oct 23rd 2010, 02:34 PM
1 Corinthians 14
What does the text say?- Let love be your highest goal in life. Desire to prophecy to strengthen and encourage the Church. Desire to speak in ‘tongues’ to speak to God by the Power of His Spirit. Speak to people clearly in words they understand and that will be helpful to them. Seek Spiritual Gifts that will strengthen the whole church. Public speaking in ‘tongues’ must be accompanied by someone else giving the interpretation. Have as little understanding of evil as a baby, and maturity in understanding how important it is say what your listeners will understand, so unbelievers will recognise God’s Power and worship Him. When you meet together one may teach, one may sing, one may have a revelation from God, up to 3 may speak in ‘tongues’ – as long as there is someone there to interpret – if there is no one there to interpret they must speak in ‘tongues’ privately to God. People who prophecy are in control of their spirit, and must remember God does not approve of chaos in the church.

Application? – I must ensure I always use words my hearers will easily understand ( eg. when speaking to adults use only words a normal 11 year old can understand) or my meaning may be lost by many folk. I must only prophecy in tongues where there is someone available to interpret what I have said. What the Lord says to one congregation may not apply to another. I may sing a song, bring a teaching, or prophecy.

Frances
Oct 24th 2010, 05:40 PM
1 Corinthians 15
What does the text say? – Paul said people are saved by the unadulterated Good News of Jesus Christ – that He died for our Sins according to the Scriptures, He was buried, and on the 3rd day rose again according to the Scriptures; He was seen by the Apostles, then by 500 disciples at one time, then by Paul. As Christ Rose from the dead why do some disciples say there is no resurrection? If Christ is not Raised your faith is in vain and you are still in your Sins. If we only have hope in Christ in this life we are pitiable, but in fact Christ has been Raised from the dead, He is the first of those who will Live through faith in Him. Christ will reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet. The last enemy to be destroyed is death. If there is no resurrection why bother how we live now? If there is no resurrection why should we risk our lives every hour? Do not be deceived, bad company corrupts good character – some of you do not know God at all. When our earthly bodies die we will be Raised with spiritual bodies. The first Adam was a living person but the last Adam – that is Christ – is a Life-giving Spirit. Our physical bodies cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. Those alive when Christ returns will not die but will be transformed into spiritual bodies. Death will be swallowed up in victory. Sin is the sting that results in Death but God gives us Victory over Death through our Lord Jesus Christ, so be strong and immovable, always working enthusiastically for the Lord, for nothing done for the Lord is ever useless.

Application? – Do I believe that Christ died paying the penalty for my Sins? Do I believe He was dead when He was buried? Do I believe He Rose from the dead on the 3rd day? Do I believe He was seen by 500 of His disciples on one occasion? Do I believe Jesus commissioned Paul to be His Apostle? Do I believe I will rise to New Life through faith in Christ? Do I believe I will have a resurrection body when I die? What sort of company do I keep? Do I really believe the good News or do I fear Death? Am I always working enthusiastically for the Lord knowing nothing I ever do for Him is in vain?

Frances
Oct 25th 2010, 05:28 PM
1 Corinthians 16
What does the text say?- Paul wrote that a collection should be taken at the Sunday meetings (first day of the week) for needy Christians in Jerusalem, each person giving according to their income. Paul said he would stay in Ephesus until Pentecost as his Ministry there was effective, even though there was much opposition. Paul was expecting Timothy to join him and asked that he be treated well as he passed through that city. Apollos was unwilling to go to Corinth at that time as it was inconvenient for him to do so. The Corinthians were urged to stand firm in their trust of Jesus Christ, to be brave and strong, and always to act with love. Paul asked that those preaching the true Gospel be shown appreciation, and said those who do not love the Lord are cursed.

Application? – Do I give a percentage of my income for the benefit of other Christians? Do I ensure all those who deal with my money are trustworthy? Am I where the Lord wants me now? Are my plans for the future within His Will? Am I discouraged by opposition? Or do I continue with the Lord’s work in spite of whatever opposition there may be? Do I consider myself superior to those who are younger in the Faith than myself? I am responsible to the Lord for my actions, and what my leaders want me to do may not be His Will at that time. Is all I do done with love for others or is it for love of myself? Do I ensure those I submit to are preaching the true Gospel with nothing added and nothing taken away? Do I truly love the Lord Jesus Christ?