PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Facial Hair: To Beard or Not to Beard?

PneumaPsucheSoma
Oct 19th 2010, 08:58 PM
What does the Word say in regards to facial hair? Is a mustache a beard?

Amos_with_goats
Oct 19th 2010, 10:52 PM
I think the answer is like popcorn.

Frecs
Oct 20th 2010, 01:15 AM
Women should not have beards.

ProjectPeter
Oct 20th 2010, 01:23 AM
Gotta have something to pluck out to show you're really spiritual! :lol:

Firefighter
Oct 20th 2010, 01:50 AM
I find it almost disturbing the number of scholars that have facial hair. I can only think of two that I have met that don't. Darrel Bock of DTS, and James Leonard of Cambridge. Other than that every serious scholar I know has a beard. You think they know something we don't??? :D

ProjectPeter
Oct 20th 2010, 01:51 AM
Nah. It's not really hair. It's their brains so full it leaks out their face! ;)

TrustingFollower
Oct 20th 2010, 02:15 AM
I find it almost disturbing the number of scholars that have facial hair. I can only think of two that I have met that don't. Darrel Bock of DTS, and James Leonard of Cambridge. Other than that every serious scholar I know has a beard. You think they know something we don't??? :D

Yep, they know how to save time in the morning by not shaving. Gives them a good 10 more minutes a day to devote to other things that actually increase the knowledge of the brain. :lol:

PneumaPsucheSoma
Oct 20th 2010, 02:30 AM
Women should not have beards.

Yes. "Please Tweeze" is a good mantra for the estrogen units. :-)

Gotta have something to pluck out to show you're really spiritual! :lol:

Ouch, fo' sho'...

Possibly. As part of laws for holiness, Leviticus 19:27 says:

"Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.". Literally, not destroy the border of thy beard, according to my weak Hebrew scholarship (anyone?... anyone?... Bueller?)

My historical research has indicated that beards were to be worn, neatly trimmed. The Barbarians and others were clean-shaven. Has anyone looked at this?

I've worn a neatly-trimmed beard for most of the last 25+ years; and I've taken quite a hammering from many Christians, especially some from Pentecostal backgrounds. If anything, it seems Scripture and history present beards as preferable.

It would be interesting to know more info.

Pillar
Oct 20th 2010, 03:08 AM
Yes. "Please Tweeze" is a good mantra for the estrogen units. :-)

Ouch, fo' sho'...

"Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.". Literally, not destroy the border of thy beard, according to my weak Hebrew scholarship (anyone?... anyone?... Bueller?)

My historical research has indicated that beards were to be worn, neatly trimmed. The Barbarians and others were clean-shaven. Has anyone looked at this?

I've worn a neatly-trimmed beard for most of the last 25+ years; and I've taken quite a hammering from many Christians, especially some from Pentecostal backgrounds. If anything, it seems Scripture and history present beards as preferable.

It would be interesting to know more info.

Leviticus chapter 19 is dealing with the commands the Lord gave Moses for the children of Israel. He wanted them to separate themselves from the pagan societies like Egypt, the one they just came out of.

I believe verse 27 is talking about the hair and beard styles the Egyptians wore. And that the children of Israel were not to wear the same.

Here is an example of their hair and beard styles. http://www.catchpenny.org/images/r3tiles.gif

PneumaPsucheSoma
Oct 20th 2010, 06:16 AM
Leviticus chapter 19 is dealing with the commands the Lord gave Moses for the children of Israel. He wanted them to separate themselves from the pagan societies like Egypt, the one they just came out of.

I believe verse 27 is talking about the hair and beard styles the Egyptians wore. And that the children of Israel were not to wear the same.

Here is an example of their hair and beard styles. http://www.catchpenny.org/images/r3tiles.gif

Yes, I've read some of this somewhere. Good stuff, thanks.

JohnDB
Oct 20th 2010, 09:49 AM
God created man to have beards. To allow them to grow is a good thing...see what beautiful facial hair and how God designed it to grow is just a part of God's wondrous design of us.

To shave it off is to celebrate Christ Crucified....during the scourging process the Romans would pull out the Jew's beards as it was often a source of pride for them to have a full beard.

The Romans usually didn't wear beards or any kind of long hair as it would be something an opponent could grab in battle or wrestling.

There was a time in the Old Testament where David had a group of delegates go off to see another king and the other king had the delegates shave half of their beards off...David let the men live in hiding till their beards grew back. (that king didn't do so well afterwards...it was David we are speaking about and he wasn't gonna take this)

notuptome
Oct 20th 2010, 11:48 AM
Are beards the blessing of creation or the curse of sin? The older we get the more trouble we have with beards in our ears, on our backs and other unwanted places.

My wife has decreed that I will have no beard if I desire fellowship with her. Bye bye beard.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Fenris
Oct 20th 2010, 11:56 AM
No discussion on beards would be complete without this

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/82717/beardarchy.jpg

Slug1
Oct 20th 2010, 12:15 PM
Are beards the blessing of creation or the curse of sin? The older we get the more trouble we have with beards in our ears, on our backs and other unwanted places.

My wife has decreed that I will have no beard if I desire fellowship with her. Bye bye beard.

For the cause of Christ
RogerI always thought the priest of the home achieves balance with the wife in his love for her, not submit to her?

kay-gee
Oct 20th 2010, 12:24 PM
I say go all out if you're gonna do it.

Do the ZZ Top thing.

A nice Gibson Les paul hanging low to waist (provided instruments are cool in this place)

That's a preacher that would have my full attention.

honest.

all the best...

notuptome
Oct 20th 2010, 12:40 PM
I always thought the priest of the home achieves balance with the wife in his love for her, not submit to her?
1 Pet 3:7 ...giving honor to the wife...

Prov 21:19, 27:15

Often descretion is the better part of valor.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Slug1
Oct 20th 2010, 12:41 PM

Ya know, I have always wondered why there are so many Christians out there in the Body of Christ still attempting to "make" Christians separate themselves from the Egyptians? God sure isn't doing this anymore with the Body of Christ.

PPS... I also caught your comment about Pentecostel backgrounds... I attend a Pentecostel church and I have not experienced what you said concerning my long hair and beard. Sure the hair is short now only because I got it out of my system once I retired and didn't cut my hair for 3 years but the beard, it stays :lol:

Funny, the same people who I guess slam others due to their grooming... ignore verse 28 of Lev 19. Then on the flip side, those who are so vehemently fueled up with v28, ignore v27 :rolleyes:

Fenris
Oct 20th 2010, 01:01 PM
This one is easier to read

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/upload/2010/05/weekend_diversion_hey_beardo/beardtypes1.jpg

Uncle Bud
Oct 20th 2010, 03:07 PM
What does the Word say in regards to facial hair? Is a mustache a beard?
The Bible doesn't require nor condemn facial hair. A mustache is hair above the lip, beards are on and around the chin.

Slug1
Oct 20th 2010, 03:13 PM
1 Pet 3:7 ...giving honor to the wife...

Prov 21:19, 27:15

Often descretion is the better part of valor.

For the cause of Christ
RogerWhich is why I asked, that very scripture is part of a Bible Study I am presently giving concerning a biblical relationship between husband and wife.

I guess I will have to disagree with you that, that... is honoring the wife. Your example, she can honor herself into anything she wants from you.

Honor to and submission to the wife, is a fine line.

Unless, the balance is she grows her hair very long, perms it and dyes it red... that would be a comprimise and balance on my part that I would ask as the priest of the home. My wife wants me to shave a beard off that I like, she has to also understand what I would like for her to change and be more attractive to me as well. Then we have reached a balance... both honor to her so she can be happy and her submission to me so that I can be happy.

Firefighter
Oct 20th 2010, 03:15 PM
I got it out of my system once I retired and didn't cut my hair for 3 years but the beard, it stays :lol:

Slug... with a face like that, it would be a sin to shave it. :P

Slug1
Oct 20th 2010, 03:25 PM
Slug... with a face like that, it would be a sin to shave it. :PTell me about it :lol:

I did trim it yesterday though. Seems I do this quarterly or for a marrige :P

Frecs
Oct 20th 2010, 03:28 PM
Urban, is that like the pot calling the kettle black? :P

PneumaPsucheSoma
Oct 20th 2010, 03:41 PM
Ya know, I have always wondered why there are so many Christians out there in the Body of Christ still attempting to "make" Christians separate themselves from the Egyptians? God sure isn't doing this anymore with the Body of Christ.

PPS... I also caught your comment about Pentecostel backgrounds... I attend a Pentecostel church and I have not experienced what you said concerning my long hair and beard. Sure the hair is short now only because I got it out of my system once I retired and didn't cut my hair for 3 years but the beard, it stays :lol:

Funny, the same people who I guess slam others due to their grooming... ignore verse 28 of Lev 19. Then on the flip side, those who are so vehemently fueled up with v28, ignore v27 :rolleyes:

Hi, Slug-

The bold above is not Pentecostal-derogatory. My church is Pentecostal. Some of the membership silently struggles with my beard, but respect my leadership. At a recent multi-church gathering, a woman came up and instructed me harshly that I was supposed to shave. I just graciously changed the subject.

notuptome
Oct 20th 2010, 04:10 PM
Which is why I asked, that very scripture is part of a Bible Study I am presently giving concerning a biblical relationship between husband and wife.

I guess I will have to disagree with you that, that... is honoring the wife. Your example, she can honor herself into anything she wants from you.

Honor to and submission to the wife, is a fine line.

Unless, the balance is she grows her hair very long, perms it and dyes it red... that would be a comprimise and balance on my part that I would ask as the priest of the home. My wife wants me to shave a beard off that I like, she has to also understand what I would like for her to change and be more attractive to me as well. Then we have reached a balance... both honor to her so she can be happy and her submission to me so that I can be happy.
If you make honoring your wife a tit for tat matter you greatly err from the truth of Gods word. Why would it be right for me to do something that I know is offensive to my wife? How do I honor the Lord if I value facial hair over my wife? Surely my authority in the home is not based on growing facial hair. Why add to the burdens of another?

Scripture tell us if the blind lead the blind they both fall into the ditch. Luke 6:39

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Slug1
Oct 20th 2010, 04:13 PM
Hi, Slug-

The bold above is not Pentecostal-derogatory. My church is Pentecostal. Some of the membership silently struggles with my beard, but respect my leadership. At a recent multi-church gathering, a woman came up and instructed me harshly that I was supposed to shave. I just graciously changed the subject.She didn't explain why she wanted you to shave, just instructed? I'm just asking because I'd just want to know about more what Christians hold onto that is based on tradition and then how they hold this over scripture. How a choice between scripture and tradition... they'd rather remain bound to a tradition or a denominational "rule" and hold this higher than scripture and even God.

Slug1
Oct 20th 2010, 04:13 PM
If you make honoring your wife a tit for tat matter you greatly err from the truth of Gods word. Why would it be right for me to do something that I know is offensive to my wife? How do I honor the Lord if I value facial hair over my wife? Surely my authority in the home is not based on growing facial hair. Why add to the burdens of another?

Scripture tell us if the blind lead the blind they both fall into the ditch. Luke 6:39

For the cause of Christ
RogerIt's nothing to do with tit for tat Roger. Never has.

PneumaPsucheSoma
Oct 20th 2010, 04:21 PM
She didn't explain why she wanted you to shave, just instructed?

Just instruction based on tradition, while stroking my beard. It would be hard to give Scripture, eh?

Slug1
Oct 20th 2010, 04:25 PM
Just instruction based on tradition, while stroking my beard. It would be hard to give Scripture, eh?I was editing my question as you posted... yeah, I touched on tradition in the edit.

notuptome
Oct 20th 2010, 04:30 PM
This reads like tit for tat to me. As Christians are we not to learn to give and expect nothing in return? Why not apply this to the relationship we have with our wives and children?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

PneumaPsucheSoma
Oct 20th 2010, 04:32 PM
She didn't explain why she wanted you to shave, just instructed? I'm just asking because I'd just want to know about more what Christians hold onto that is based on tradition and then how they hold this over scripture. How a choice between scripture and tradition... they'd rather remain bound to a tradition or a denominational "rule" and hold this higher than scripture and even God.

Exactly. Most don't really even read much Scripture. At least all the no-pants and stacked-up uncut hair is interpretational of existing Scripture. No admonition exists against beards.

Slug1
Oct 20th 2010, 04:34 PM
This reads like tit for tat to me. As Christians are we not to learn to give and expect nothing in return? Why not apply this to the relationship we have with our wives and children?

For the cause of Christ
RogerAs I said, we won't agree.

So when does the honor to your wife become a free ticket for her to change you into a person she wants you to be and you dislike yourself because everything you once were has been honorably molded by her desires and you aren't even yourself anymore?

Frecs
Oct 20th 2010, 04:36 PM
I think, Slug, that her love for you would prevent her from trying to change you into a person you are not just as your love for her would prevent you from trying to change her into something she is not.

Slug1
Oct 20th 2010, 04:38 PM
I think, Slug, that her love for you would prevent her from trying to change you into a person you are not just as your love for her would prevent you from trying to change her into something she is not.Exactly... thank you. You don't even have to attend my class :P

You can be my AI :hug:

Frecs
Oct 20th 2010, 04:46 PM
Exactly... thank you. You don't even have to attend my class :P

You can be my AI :hug:

:hug: :D

notuptome
Oct 20th 2010, 05:05 PM
As I said, we won't agree.
Especially when you presume to know what you clearly do not know.

So when does the honor to your wife become a free ticket for her to change you into a person she wants you to be and you dislike yourself because everything you once were has been honorably molded by her desires and you aren't even yourself anymore?
I do not view my wifes desires as a free ticket to anything. I have not been myself since Christ saved me. I am His and He is mine. God blesses what I do for my wife in the marriage relationship. Through the grace of God I am able to be gracious toward others including but not limited to my wife.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Slug1
Oct 20th 2010, 05:17 PM
Especially when you presume to know what you clearly do not know.

I do not view my wifes desires as a free ticket to anything. I have not been myself since Christ saved me. I am His and He is mine. God blesses what I do for my wife in the marriage relationship. Through the grace of God I am able to be gracious toward others including but not limited to my wife.

For the cause of Christ
RogerHooah, AMEN Roger!

We all can do this and also remain who we are in Christ.

Sorry though, because you are right, I don't have a clue but as you wrote your posts, seemed honor to and submission to... was blurred.

JohnDB
Oct 21st 2010, 09:59 AM

For the cause of Christ
Roger

My Grandmother said something similar to Grandps...

She said she refused to kiss something akin to a dog's backside...except in not so nice of terms....

But since they had been married over 50 years he wore it anyway and had to go a few years without a kiss from grandma...

He had a big ol goatee and handlebar mustache that curled around in spiral...

Then one day after all their kids (my mamma included) were at home to see his beard he shaved it...I was around when grandpa got his first kiss in a few years. I think she wanted one as bad as he did.