PDA

View Full Version : My Daily BIble study - Judges(2)

Frances
Oct 26th 2010, 05:28 PM
Judges
Quote:- (Rev. David Pawson) “The bulk of the book of Judges consists of a series of cycles. with almost monotonous regularity the people of God repeat the same pattern of Supplication, Liberation, Violation, Occupation, Supplication etc. . . . It seems they only pray when they are in trouble . . . clearly many were unaware that the oppression was their fault. The individuals also live in a similar routine of Sin and Forgiveness and further Sin . . . a spiral going downwards, things getting steadily worse

Judges 1
What does the text say? – the tribes of Judah and Simeon defeated the Canaanites and Perizzites in the territory allotted to them. Then Judah fought for Jerusalem, the Negev and Hebron. Then Caleb promised to give his daughter in marriage to whoever defeated Kirjaath Sepher, and Othniel, his nephew, took it; Achsah, Caleb’s daughter, asked for springs of water as well as the land he’d already given her – so he gave them to her. The Kenites went from Jericho into the wilderness of Judah and lived with the people there. Judah defeated Gaza, Ashkelon and Ekron, and their territories. The descendants of Benjamin didn’t drive out the Jebusites, and other tribes did not dispossess the Canaanites as God had told them but lived with them and in some cases, when the Israelites were stronger, they took them as slaves.

Application? – Do I try to live amicably with people God does not want me to have anything to do with? Do I make excuses for my disobedience, and think I’m more humanitarian?

Frances
Oct 28th 2010, 05:12 PM
Judges 2
What does the text say? – The Angel of the Lord reminded the Israelites that He had brought their ancestors from Egypt, and brought them to the Promised Land, and Promised never to break His Covenant with them, and in return they must not make any covenants with the people living in the land, instead their altars must be destroyed. But the Israelites had disobeyed Him. So now He declared that He would no longer drive out the people now living in the land, and their gods would be a constant temptation. The people wept and made sacrifices to the Lord; then each tribe left to take possession of the land allotted to them. The Israelites served the Lord as long as Joshua, who was 110 when he died, and those who led the people in his time, were alive. Another generation grew up who didn’t acknowledge the Lord, or remember all he had done for Israel, they abandoned the Lord and served Baal and all the gods of the people around them. God was angry and abandoned them and they were no longer able to resist their enemies. The Lord God fought against them causing them to be defeated. Then the Lord raised up judges to rescue them; but as soon as that judge died the people returned to serving other gods. The people failed the Lord’s Test.

Application? – Do I remember all the times the Lord has rescued, and cared for, me? (or are there too many to remember each one?). when I became a Christian I promised the Lord to trust Him and serve Him alone – do I always keep that promise? Do I obey the Lord because of my leaders or in spite of them? Do I ensure my leaders have a personal relationship with the Lord and follow Him? Do I ever provoke the Lord to anger? Do I weep and make sacrifices to the Lord when He disciplines me? Do I heed those who are His mouthpieces today? Is the reason the Lord has allowed other gods to be worshipped in my nation due to the people turning away from Him? Is my despair, and prayer, too little and too late?

Frances
Oct 29th 2010, 04:25 PM
Judges 3+4
What does the text say? – The Lord left some nations in the Promised land to test the obedience of Israel to Him in the future. When the Israelites disobeyed the Lord by intermarriage with the other nations, and worshipping their gods, He allowed them to be defeated by the king of Mesopotamia. The Israelites prayed to the Lord. After 8 years the Lord raised up Othniel, Caleb’s nephew, to save them; he became Israel’s Judge. Othniel went to war against the oppressors and gained the victory, then there was peace for 40 years. After Othniel died the Israelites disobeyed the Lord again and He raised up Ehud, who was left-handed. Ehud made a dagger over a foot long and killed Eglan the king of Moab with it; then he gathered an army who took control of the fords over the Jordan to Moab, attacked the Moabites and killed 10,000 warriors, then there was peace for 80 years. Then Shamgar killed 600 Philistine men with an ox goad, setting Israel free. When Ehud died, Israel disobeyed the Lord again, so He allowed the Canaanite king, Jabin, to overcome them. Jabin had 900 iron chariots and oppressed the Israelites for 20 years, then the people prayed for the Lord’s help. Deborah was a prophet who was Judging Israel at that time. She sent for Barak and told him the Lord was commanding him to call 10,000 men to Mount Tabor to fight Sisera, the commander of Jabin’s army. Barak would only go if Deborah went too; she agreed, but said the victory of the Lord would be given to a woman. Sisera took all 900 chariots and all his warriors to Mt. Tabor. When Barak attacked, at Deborah’s instigation, the Lord made Sisera and his troops panic. Barak killed all the army but Sisera escaped on foot, going to the tent of Jael the wife of Heber, a descendant of Moses’ father in law. When Sisera fell asleep Jael drove a tent peg through his head.

Application? – Do I worship any gods instead of the Lord God, the Father of Jesus Christ? Do I need rescuing from the results of my disobedience to Him? Am I always on the Lord’s side or do I fight against Him (perhaps unwittingly) on the side of His Enemies – there is no middle ground?

Frances
Oct 30th 2010, 05:13 PM
Judges 6
What does the text say? – When Sisera was dead Israel had peace for 40 years. Then the Israelites disregarded the Lord again so He allowed the Midianites to oppress them for 7 years. The Israelite crops were taken or destroyed by the Midianites, Amalekites or peoples from the east. Then the hungry Israelites cried out to the Lord for help. The Angel of the Lord met Gideon as he threshed wheat in secret, and said He was sending him to rescue Israel from their oppressors. Gideon didn’t believe he was able to do as the Angel of the Lord said, and asked for a sign that his visitor was indeed the Lord, so when Gideon brought meat, bread and broth for the Angel of the Lord it burnt up when He touched it with His staff; realising it was indeed the Lord, Gideon built an altar to Him. That night the Lord told Gideon to destroy the altar to Baal and the Ashera pole beside it, then make an altar to the Lord and sacrifice his father’s 7 year old bull on it. Being afraid, he did it when it was dark. The people of the city were so angry they wanted to kill Gideon, but his father said if Baal was a God he could take revenge himself. Soon afterwards the armies of Midian, Amalek and the people of the east went together to fight Israel. The Holy Spirit filled Gideon, who sent messengers throughout Manasseh, Asher, Zebulun, and Naphtali, and their warriors all came to Gideon. Gideon asked God to prove He was going to use him to rescue Israel, by making a fleece wet with dew while the ground remained dry – which the Lord did; then Gideon asked that, the next night, the ground would be wet and the fleece dry. The Lord did this too.

Application? – Do I doubt that the Lord will use me to glorify Him in ways He chooses? Do I ask the Lord for confirmation of what I think He is saying to me? Am I fearful of other people’s reactions to what the Lord tells me to do?

Frances
Oct 31st 2010, 05:56 PM
Judges 7
What does the text say? – Gideon and those with him camped opposite the Midianites, who were in the valley. The Lord told Gideon he had too many men with him, so there was a danger of Israel thinking it was their own strength that had won the battle, and not God. Gideon was to ask who was fearful or afraid. 22,000 were and were sent away, so 10,000 remained. The Lord said there were still too many men, so they must all go to the water to drink; He told Gideon to watch and those who lapped like a dog must be separated from those who got down on their knees to drink. The 300 who lapped water out of their hands were chosen and the rest sent home. The Lord told Gideon to go that night to hear what the Midianites were saying. A multitude of Midianites and Amalekites were in the valley. Gideon heard a man tell of his dream, and another gave as the interpretation that the God of the Israelites had given the Midianites and their allies to Gideon. Gideon worshipped God and returned to his camp and divided his men into 3 companies, each man had a trumpet (ram’s horn) and a torch in a clay jar. They were to surround the Midianites and follow Gideon’s example. Gideon blew his trumpet, broke the clay jar, and shouted ‘a sword for the Lord and for Gideon’ and the 300 did the same. The Midianites ran round in panic, fighting each other and fleeing. Gideon sent for warriors from Naphtali, Asher and Manasseh, who joined in the attack. Gideon also sent messengers to Ephraim telling them to prevent their opponents crossing the Jordan. The 2 Midianite Commanders were killed.

Application? – The Lord does not require His people to have physical strength to fight for Him, He works through the weakness of those who trust Him. Am I fearful of the consequences of fighting evangelistically with the Lord? Am I more suited to stopping folk turning away from Him, by teaching the Truth of His Word? The Lord gives the encouragement His people need for what He wants them to do – when they obey Him. Do I put my trust in God or human resources?

Frances
Nov 1st 2010, 04:59 PM
Judges 8
What does the text say? – The Ephraimites felt slighted because they had not been asked to fight with Gideon in the first place, until Gideon told them they’d accomplished the most by killing the 2 commanders. Although exhausted Gideon, and the original 300 men, crossed the Jordan still chasing the enemy. Gideon asked at Succoth and Penuel for food, but they refused. The Midianite army was at Karkar (now only 15,000 of the original 135,000) Gideon surprised them by attacking from an unexpected direction, and captured both kings and routed the whole army. On the way home Gideon caught a young man from Succoth, through interrogation discovered the names of the 77 leaders of the city – and beat them with thorns and briars. Then he destroyed the tower at Penuel and killed all the men of the city, then he killed the 2 Midianite kings because they’d killed his brothers, and took the crescents off their camels. The Israelites asked him to rule over them, but he refused saying that only God would rule over them; but he asked for a gold earring from the plunder of each warrior, the total weight of which was 43lbs. Gideon made the gold into an ephod which he set up in Ophrah where he lived. The Israelites worshipped it and it ensnared Gideon and his family. For the remaining 40 years of Gideons’ life there was peace. As soon as Gideon died the Israelites worshipped the Baals again and forgot God’s goodness to them.

Application? – Do I always give credit where it is due? Do I continue fighting for the Lord even when I am exhausted? Do I always keep my word when I threaten something and demonstrate strength, or demonstrate weakness instead? Do I attack in prayer those who feel secure fighting against the Lord? Do I encourage folk to accept God’s rule in their lives? Have I allowed anything to divert me from worshipping the Lord? Does my life encourage others to worship the Lord?

Diggindeeper
Nov 2nd 2010, 05:47 AM
Frances, I am enjoying your Bible studies, and want to thank you for your faithfulness in sharing the truths that some of us have not seen in scriptures. Thank you for explaining and especially for the 'Application', so we can apply it to our lives!

Frances
Nov 2nd 2010, 05:39 PM
Thank you........................................

Frances
Nov 2nd 2010, 05:45 PM
Judges 9

What does the text say? – Abimelech, Gideons’ illegitimate son, persuaded his mother’s relations in Shechem to favour him as king. They gave him money from the temple of Baal to hire men to help him kill his 70 ½ brothers. Jotham, the youngest, hid so was not killed. The people of Shechem made Abimelech king. Jotham cursed Abimelech from Mt. Gerazim. When Abimelech had reigned as king for 3 years the men of Shechem were encouraged by Gaal to turn against him. When Zebal, the city leader, heard what Gaal was saying he sent messengers to Abimelech, suggesting he came by night to fight Gaal and those who agreed with him. Gaal led the leading citizens into battle against Abimelech. Many of Shechem’s men were wounded. Abimelech returned to Arumah and Zebul drove Gaal and his brothers out of Shechem; then Abimelech divided his men into 3 groups who killed the people inside, and outside, the city and demolished it. About 1,000 people had gathered at the temple of their god, Baal-berith, when Abimelech heard this he told his men to put branches round the walls and set fire to them, burning all the people to death. Then Abimelech captured Thebes, all the people fled to a strong tower in the town. Abimelech was about to set fire to the door when a woman dropped a mill-stone onto his head, then he told his armour-bearer to kill him, to prevent it being said he’d been killed by a women. Knowing he was dead his men disbanded.

Application? – Do I always want to be in control of others? Do I kill the reputation of those whose place I’d like to take? Do I treat others as I’d like to be treated myself? Would I be wise to consider possible repercussions before each action I take against others?

Frances
Nov 3rd 2010, 04:45 PM
Judges 10
What does the text say? – After Abimelech died Tola, from Issachar saved Israel and judged them for 23 years, then Jair from Gilead – who had 30 sons - judged Israel for 22 years. When Jair died the Israelites abandoned the Lord and worshipped other gods instead, so the Lord allowed the Philistines and Ammmorites to oppress them for 18 years. Then the Isrealites admitted their Sin, abandoned their foreign gods and returned to the Lord God. The warriors of Ammon made camp at Gilead and the Israelites camped at Mizpah. The people of Gilead decided that whoever started the fight against the Ammonites would be their leader. The Lord took pity on His people.

Application? – do I truly worship the Lord, or other gods? It is never too late to turn back to Him.

Frances
Nov 4th 2010, 06:04 PM
Judges 11
What does the text say? – Jephthah an illegitimate son of Gilead was a great warrior living in Tob. Elders from Gilead went to fetch Jephthah to lead them in battle against the Ammonites and agreed that he would be their leader in peace too, if they gained victory. The king of Ammon thought the land that had belonged to his people 300 years before was rightfully theirs, but Jephthah explained they had been dispossessed by the Lord God in war, and the land given to His people; the people of Ammon were only entitled to the land their god Chemoth gave them. The Holy Spirit filled Jephthah who advanced with the warriors of Israel on the Ammonites, promising the Lord to make a burnt offering of whatever came from the door of his house first when he returned victorious. The Lord enabled the Israelites to be victorious. When Jephthah arrived home his only child, a daughter, came to meet him; distraught he allowed her to have 2 months to mourn that she would always be a virgin.

Application? – Do I make others suffer because of their parent’s actions? Do I always keep promises I make to the Lord?

Frances
Nov 5th 2010, 04:38 PM
Judges 12+13
What does the text say? – The Ephraimites said they were going to burn Jephthah’s house because he didn’t ask them to fight the Ammonites with him. Jephthah replied that he had summoned them to help him at the beginning of his struggle with the Ammonites but they didn’t come, so he went into battle without them, and the Lord gave him victory. The Ephraimites insulted the men of Gilead so the men of Gilead fought the Ephraimites and defeated them. Jephthah’s men captured the fords across the Jordan, they required everyone wanting to cross to say “Shibboleth”; the Ephraimites could only say “Sibboleth” and 42,000 of them were killed there. Jephthah judged Israel for 6 years. After Jephthah died, Ibzan of Behtlehem who had 30 sons and 30 daughters judged Israel for 7 years. After Ibzan died Elon the Zebulunite judged Israel for 10 years, then after him Abdon the Pirathonite, who had 40 sons and 30 grandsons, judged Israel for 8 years. The Isrealites turned from the Lord again, so He allowed the Philistines to oppress them for 40 years. At that time Manoah, from Dan, had a barren wife. The Angel of the Lord appeared to her and told her she’d have a son whose hair must never be cut, as he would be a Nazarite from the womb and would begin to deliver Israel from the Philistines; she must not drink any alcohol or eat anything forbidden by God. When Manoah was told of the visit he prayed that the Angel would return and tell them what to do for the child. When the Angel returned Manoah made a burnt offering to the Lord, and the Angel ascended in the flames as they went heavenwards. A son was born to them and they called him Samson.

Application? – Do I ever fight unnecessary battles. Do I always recognise the Lord when He talks with me, or only when He does something miraculous? Was my life dedicated to the Lord before I was born? Am I moved by His Spirit? Do I obey Him?

Frances
Nov 6th 2010, 06:44 PM
Judges 14
What does the text say? – The Lord encouraged Samson to desire a Philistine wife, to begin to set the Israelites free from the Philistines. A lion attacked Samson, the Holy Spirit gave him the strength to kill it with his bare hands. Later, on his way to claim the woman as his wife he went to look at the carcase of the lion, and found there was a swarm of bees in it. Samson gave a marriage feast and 30 young men were there. Samson challenged them to answer a riddle he would set; if they answered correctly he would give each of them a change of clothing, but if they couldn’t tell him the right answer each of them would give him a change of clothing – and they accepted the bet. Samson said “Out of the eater came something to eat, and out of the strong came something sweet.” After 3 days they couldn’t explain the riddle, so they threatened Samson’s wife that she and her family would be burnt to death if she didn’t tell them the answer. Because of his wife’s constant crying, on the 7th day Samson told her the answer. The young men said to Samson “What is sweeter than honey and what is stronger than a lion? Knowing they had forced his wife to tell them the answer, Samson went to Ashkelon, killed 30 men, took their garments and gave them to those who had answered the riddle correctly, he left his wife and went home. Samson’s wife was given to his best man instead.

Application? – I may lose what is very important to me if I try to gain materially in some way from the Power of the Holy Spirit in my life. Do I bring the Lord’s Name into disrepute by any of my words or actions? Because the Lord encourages me to do something is not a guarantee of no difficulties in it’s execution.

Query:- Was Samson’s marriage consummated before his wife was given to someone else?

Frances
Nov 7th 2010, 04:29 PM
Judges 15+16
What does the text say? – At the time of wheat harvest Samson went to visit his wife, but her father wouldn’t let him see her, as he’d given her to another man thinking Samson hated her. Samson caught 300 foxes, tied them in pairs by their tails, attached torches to them and freed them among the standing grain. In this way the Philistines corn, vineyards and olive groves were destroyed; so the owners burnt Samson’s wife and her family, then Samson attacked the Philistines in revenge. The Philistines were going to attack Judah to arrest Samson, but 3,000 of the men of Judah went to Samson and he allowed them to bind him and take him to the Philistines, then Samson broke the ropes, by the Power of the Holy Spirit, and killed 1,000 Philistines with the jawbone of a donkey. The Lord provided water for Samson to quench his thirst, then he judged Israel for 20 years. Samson was trapped in Gaza when he went to a prostitute there, but he took the gates and gateposts to the top of a nearby hill. Then Samson loved Delilah in Sorek. The Philistines promised her great wealth if she discovered the source of Samson’s strength. Samson kept telling her untruths, but she nagged him so unmercifully that he eventually told her the truth. His hair was cut, the Philistines captured, him removed his eyes, and made him grind their corn; meanwhile Samson’s hair was growing. The Philistines were sacrificing to their god Dagon in his temple; the temple was full of men and women and another 3,000 were on the roof watching as Samson was brought to be made fun of. Samson asked the lad leading him to let him touch the pillars, he put one had on each of the two central pillars, prayed for strength, pushed with all his might, then the temple collapsed killing him and more Philistines in his death than he had during his life.

Application? – Am I living to please God or myself? Do I use the Power of the Holy Spirit to Glorify God or myself? Do I tell others the secret of my strength, as a Christian, is Truth – and that Jesus Christ is Truth? Will my death Glorify God more than my life? I must die to worldly desires before my life can truly Glorify the Lord God.

Frances
Nov 8th 2010, 06:44 PM
Judges 17+18
What does the text say? – Michah stole 1,100 shekels of silver from his mother, she cursed the thief, then he returned the silver he stole and she had 200 shekels of it made into an idol for him. Michah consecrated one of his sons as his priest. “There was no king in Israel and everyone did what was right in his own eyes”. When a Levite came that way Micah persuaded him to be his priest. Later, 600 Danites and their families came and persuaded the Levite to be their priest; they took Micah’s gods with them, and threatened to kill Micah when he caught up with them, so he let them keep his gods. The Danites went to Laish, killed the people and took over their possessions, and called the place Dan. They worshipped Michah’s gods as long as the House of God was in Shiloh.

Application? – Is the King in my heart Jesus Christ or myself – or something or someone else? Am I persuaded by flattery to do wrong? Have I discovered that one Sin inevitably leads into greater Sin?

Frances
Nov 9th 2010, 05:23 PM
Judges 19,20+21
What does the text say? – When there was no king in Israel a Levite who lived in Ephraim’s concubine returned to her father in Bethlehem. After 4 months the Levite went to fetch her back to his home; her father invited him to stay. 5 days later he left with her to go home late in the day. They stopped in Gibeah for the night, but none of the Benjaminites offered them shelter. An old man from Ephraim took them in. Later some perverted men pounded on the door demanding to have sex with the Levite, so the old man offered his virgin daughter and the concubine instead, but the men wouldn’t listen to him. The Levite sent his concubine out to them and they raped her all night, leaving her dead on the doorstep. The Levite put her body on a donkey, and when he got home cut it into 12 pieces sending them all across Israel. The Israelites fought Gibeah; after they had lost many men they fasted, prayed and sought the Lord, He gave them victory over Benjamin and only 600 of them escaped and hid for 4 months, meanwhile the Israelite army destroyed all the towns of Benjamin including the people and animals, and set them on fire. All the Israelites swore that none of them would give their daughters to the Benjaminites for wives, but it distressed them that a tribe of Israel would disappear. The Israelites met at Mizpah to seek the Lord about the situation. As no one from Jabesh Gilead was at the assembly the armed men were sent to kill everyone there, but to save the virgins – 400 were saved. The Israelites sent for the men of Benjamin and gave them the virgins, but there weren’t enough, so it was decided that at the annual festival of the Lord at Shiloh where the virgins danced, when they were near where the men were hiding, each man should catch a girl for his wife. The girl’s fathers would be innocent as they would not be giving their daughters.

Application? – Do I think I am serving God by equally horrendous actions? Do I pervert the Lord’s Word in any way?