PDA

View Full Version : Apostolic succession and adoption?

Amos_with_goats
Oct 26th 2010, 10:37 PM
Does anyone here have experience, or know how churches that believe it apostolic succession would deal with an adopted person>?

Would they treat adoption as an automatic disqualifier for ministry>?

notuptome
Oct 26th 2010, 11:07 PM
Does anyone here have experience, or know how churches that believe it apostolic succession would deal with an adopted person>?

Would they treat adoption as an automatic disqualifier for ministry>?
I was unaware of the conflict. The main church that I think of when apostolic succession is brought up is the rcc and I do not think they have a problem with adopted men in their preisthood such as it is.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Scruffy Kid
Oct 27th 2010, 12:36 AM
As far as I know, no churches which believe in Apostolic succession are concerned, one way or another, with a person's parentage, in any way shape, or form. Thus, no problem with people who are adopted.

(This would include Anglican, Eastern Orthodox, Coptic, Syrian Orthodox, Georgian Orthodox, Armenian Orthodox, Mar Thoma and Roman Catholic Churches, as far as I know.)

But moreover, I don't quite see why on earth the question would come up! What about a person's status as someone's adopted son or daughter would -- on any apostolic succession theory -- be grounds for disqualification for ministry in even the faintest way? (I have been an Anglican Christian for over 40 years, and was pretty well instructed before I became one by well-trained Anglican clergy, as it happens.)

Blessings,
Scruff

P.S. Thanks for your kind note the other day!!

Amos_with_goats
Oct 27th 2010, 12:43 AM
I was actually just musing... then I did not take the time to explore the dusty caverns of my brain (vast open spaces of emptiness) where the bits of the 'apostolic succession' info were stored.

I thought it might be fun to rummage together.

:)

Firefighter
Oct 27th 2010, 12:54 AM
Apostolic succession has to do with the laying on of hands being traced back to a disciple. It has nothing to do with birthright.

Example: Paul laid hands on Timothy, who laid hands on Billy Bob, who laid hands on Suzy Q, who laid hands on Amazzin, who laid hands on -SEEKING-, who laid hands on me.

Amos_with_goats
Oct 27th 2010, 12:59 AM
Apostolic succession has to do with the laying on of hands being traced back to a disciple. It has nothing to do with birthright.

Example: Paul laid hands on Timothy, who laid hands on Billy Bob, who laid hands on Suzy Q, who laid hands on Amazzin, who laid hands on -SEEKING-, who laid hands on me.

Yes. There is a sect that believed it to be a genetic succession (in some manner)...

... I know the Mormons fixate on genealogy... but I was thinking of a Christian denomination.

I may have been off...

MoreMercy
Oct 27th 2010, 03:55 AM
Not being a wise-guy, But....
All Christians are adopted. :pp

Free Indeed
Oct 27th 2010, 02:48 PM

Actually, the RCC used to require that for one to be initiated into Holy Orders, he had to be of legitimate birth. Since it's not the baby's fault if his parents are not married, this never seemed fair to me.

I am an Anglican Catholic, that preserves the Apostolic Succession. Whether or not one is adopted or had married parents is irrelevant, the only thing being important is God's call to the ministry. It is my understanding that the RCC and Eastern Orthodox also now take this view, but could be wrong.