PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Ruth (2)

Frances
Nov 22nd 2010, 06:10 PM
Ruth
Rev. David Pawson suggests that Samuel wrote Judges and Ruth in the time of Saul after he had anointed David to prepare the people. He argues that as both books state ‘there was no king in Israel at that time’ they were written when there was a king, but prior to David because we read that ‘Jessie was the father of David’ not ‘Jessie was the father of David the king’. Saul came from Benjamin and ‘the writer asks his readers to compare the degradation of Benjamin with the delightful people of Bethlehem of Judah. At the very end Samuel mentions that Jessie was the father of David, Knowing that he was God’s appointed king and was going to change the whole situation’.

Ruth 1
What does the text say? – Elimelech Naomi and their sons Malon(sickly) and Chilion (pining) went to Moab during a famine. Malon and Chilion married Moabite girls. With Elimelech, Malon,Chilion all dead, and the famine over, Naomi decided to return home. One daughter in law went back to her family, but the other, Ruth, insisted on going with her, saying ‘where you go I will go . . . . your people will be my people, and your God my God’. They arrived in Bethlehem at the beginning of the barley harvest.

Application? – Do I regard my spouse’s family as my family? Do I love and care for them as I do my own family? Having discovered the one true God would I ever return to idolatry? Does my life demonstrate that I worship Almighty God? Or have I allowed any idols to have a foothold in my life without realising that God no longer has first place?

Frances
Nov 24th 2010, 05:45 PM
Ruth 2
What does the text say? – Boaz was a wealthy man and related to Naomi’s husband Elimelech. Ruth went to glean (pick up stray ears of corn) following the harvesters and happened to go to a field belonging to Boaz. When Boaz heard who Ruth was he told her to stay with his workers and have refreshment with them, saying he had told his young men not to worry her. When Ruth asked why he was so kind to her, Boaz said it was because of her kindness to Naomi her mother in law. Boaz told his harvesters to drop grain on purpose for Ruth to find. At the end of the day Ruth beat out the grain from the straw and took it back to Naomi with some of the roasted grain she had been given to eat, telling her mother-in-law how kind Boaz had been to her. Each day Ruth went to glean with the women in Boaz’ field as he had told her to until the end of the harvest.

Application? – Do I care for my elderly relatives by marriage? If I always put the Lord first I can be confident that He will ensure I am always in the right place, at the right time, for His purposes to be fulfilled through me (Ruth became king David’s grandmother). Do I always expect to work hard for my living (gleaning is back-breaking work)?

Quote :- (David Pawson) “Ruth was one of the early Gentiles to embrace the God of Israel. She is a picture of all believers who are in the Royal line, brothers of Jesus through faith in Him. . . . . It is interesting to note that Boaz was a direct descendant of Judah . . . . he was also a descendant of Tamar, who had offspring after she was raped, which shows that God can use the most unlikely situations as part of His Plan. . . . we learn too that Boaz’ mother was not a Jew. Rahab the prostitute, was the 1st Gentile in the land of Canaan to embrace the God of Israel. So we have a mixed family tree: Tamar was raped, Rahab was a Gentile prostitute, Ruth was a Moabite, and yet they are all ancestors of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Frances
Nov 25th 2010, 04:25 PM
Ruth 3
What does the text say? – Naomi was, in effect, trying to arrange security through marriage for Ruth, and Ruth complied with her mother-in-law’s wishes. Boaz was flattered that she had chosen him, in preference to anyone else who might have been her ‘kinsman redeemer’.

Application? – The only kinsman (member of the human family) redeemer who can Redeem me is Jesus Christ – have I accepted his offer of Redemption? Do I always put Him, and His desires, first in my life?

Quote:- (David Pawson) “There are 2 customs in the book of Ruth which we must appreciate. . . every 50 years all property was returned to the original family that owned it . . .it was imperative therefore that there was a man . . . to claim the property after 50 years. The Levirate law stated that if a woman’s husband died before she had a son, her husband’s brother had to marry her and give her a son, thus keeping the property in the family. Ruth had been married to someone who was entitled to property . . . so a relative was under the obligation to marry her . . . to re-inherit the property . . . in the Jubilee year. The 2nd law to understand was a social custom. A girl could not propose marriage to a man . . . but was free to indicate she would like to be married . . . eg. to warm the man’s feet.”

Frances
Nov 26th 2010, 04:46 PM
Ruth 4
What does the text say? – Boaz went and sat at the gate. When the close relative of whom he had spoken came by Boaz asked him to sit down, then he asked 10 of the elders of the town to join them; then Boaz explained that Naomi wanted to sell the family land that had belonged to her husband Elimelech as her sons were also dead, and asked the family redeemer if he would like to buy it, saying that if he didn’t Boaz would redeem it himself as he was next in line. The other man agreed to buy the land, until he realised he would also have to marry Ruth and give her a son who would inherit the land. He told Boaz to marry her himself. Then Boaz told the elders they were witnesses to him buying all that had belonged to Elimelech and his sons from Naomi, and also that Ruth had become his wife, so she could have a son to take Malon’s place in the town. Ruth bore a son called Obed, who became David’s grandfather.

Application? – What I have no control over may turn out to be part of God’s plan for the good of His people in the future. Do I really trust the Lord with all of my life, whatever happens?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “The genealogy (4:17-22) . . . is the thing for which the book of Ruth was written. Thenceforth Old Testament thought centres around the coming King of kings, to be born in David’s line.”